de Medici Cucina Italiana
815 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
de Medici Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.demedicisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6197027228x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday–Thursday 5:00pm–10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm–11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Macias
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from de Medici Cucina Italiana
Make your next event a memorable experience in one of the Gaslamp’s most elegant and highly recommended Italian restaurants. Surrounded in an ambiance of old world charm, de’ Medici features the authentic cuisine of Italy, including a vast selection of Italian seafood specialties. Fabulous food, personalized service and attention to details are just a few examples of the high standards that set them apart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
de Medici Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (27)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (23)notable wine list (19)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Long time place for us to dineJohnMDined on 8/1/2014We have been going to this restaurant since the week it opened, about 20 years. The owner Sal has become a dear friend of ours. We have not been there for a few years, we moved out of the area. So, when we decided to go to San Diego this was the only choice for us to dine. The menu is still great, with all the items we like and some new ones that looked great. They do a Caesar Salad at table side along with a desert, Bananas Foster. This is something everyone should experience when dining here. We will be sure to dine here the next time we are back.Special Features:
- 2nd time around was even better!dirtbikedadDined on 7/31/2014This is my second trip to San Diego in as many years and this was one place that I wanted to experience a second time. We were not disappointed. Amazing and attentive service, fabulous meal and great ambiance inside and out.Special Features:
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/23/2014We went here to celebrate our anniversary because it was the restaurant where we got engaged. They reserved the exact same booth for us, the brought us a complimentary dessert with a sparkler, and palette cleansing lemon ice. They were fantastic. Juan was a very attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulluvgoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is wonderful. Everyone there went out of their way to be pleasant, food served hot and I had Steak Diane prepared tableside, which was so so so good. We will be back. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and the couple with us was also celebrating their anniversary. Each couple got a cake and it was so thoughtful of them to do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice atmosphereRenegadebbDined on 7/18/2014Food was very good, service was fair. Sat outside and that was very nice. Had the meatballs and friends had the Sea Bass which they said wax wonderful. Would recommend and would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Diego SpotMarkVIPDined on 7/12/2014I've been coming here for 9 years. The food and service is outstanding. One of the few places that makes Cesar Salad table side. If you can get there on a Friday or Saturday night, the Osso Bucco is to die for. But don't get there late it sells out fast. MR. AV is a very gracious host and although I on get there about once or twice a year he has a knack for remembering his guests, which always makes for a very special experience.Special Features:
- DecliningJlrhoustonDined on 7/5/2014I have eaten hear numerous times. It's quality has really declined. Will not come back
- Overpriced foodSfgirlVIPDined on 6/30/2014I took my mom and aunt here for a birthday dinner on a trip to San Diego and we were so disappointed. The restaurant looks nice, but the food was pricey and mediocre. The lobster in my risotto was tough and rubbery, my aunt's steak was not flavorful and even the bread was cold. I found this place on Yelp but save your money and time! Olive Garden has better food! The two stars are for good service and the dessert.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Great service and amazing authentic Italian food. Very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014This is the second time I've been to the restaurant and the service was good and everyone's food was good except mine. I had the Scallopine alla Marsala and it was tasty but tough. Everyone else in the party enjoyed their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware: They Nickle-And-Dime YouMtradesDined on 6/28/2014My mother asked to substitute the rice for spaghetti. She ordered the osso bucco, and prefers to eat it with spaghetti. The General Manager told our waitress she was going to charge for the substitution. Why would you charge to have that kind of substitution for a premium and costly meal? The general manager said it because the "Chef" made the rice to compliment the meal. So, what she is really saying is that we are being punished for wanting spaghetti instead of rice. There are plenty of other Italian restaurants in San Diego that would never do that; The Godfather, Pomodoro Ristorante Italiano, Charisma Cucina Italiana, and I could go on. I will never eat there again because of the idiotic reason and desperate way of making a dime.
- Disappointing experienceBritinNCDined on 6/18/2014There are many great restaurants in SD, but this isn't one of them. Food is hearty but doesn't really hit the mark. Whole set up is traditional (some what old fashioned). Location is good for tourists, but if you are a foody there are many better options at this price point.
- AMAZINGPotluckVIPDined on 6/11/2014This place was fantastic. The wait staff and (owner) provided an amazing dining experience. The corkage was a bit high. When in San Diego, I will dine again. Absolutely the best Italian.Special Features:
- partyof5Dined on 5/29/2014Five of us went to dine here while visiting San Diego and were delighted with the food, the service and the ambience. We had the lasagna with meatballs, steak and lobster, lobster ravioli, and the divine sole Portofino along with the house salad. Everything was excellent. Fresh, tasty, hot, and served with great style. The service was fantastic, where we wanted for nothing but were not constantly bothered. The Owner of the restaurant came out and spoke with us and made recommendations. It was a great experience and we will go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014We dine here every visit to San Diego. The food is outstanding and owner Mr Vitale ensures that the experience is flawless. If you enjoy fine dining Scicilian style then this is the placeSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Food and ServiceStevlanDined on 5/16/2014Absolutely best Italian food I've had outside of Italy. James (our server) is a credit to his profession and gave us all wonderful suggestions. Well worth the money every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in San DiegomadaboutdiningDined on 5/10/2014We decided to go to dinner in the Gaslamp Qtr. and chose de Medici since we'd never eaten there. Started with table side Caesar salad (a splurge, since it was 14.95 a person). Our waitress was very professional and we enjoyed hearing how she was making the salad. It was about a 10 minute show which was fun. It wasn't the very best Caesar we'd ever had but we did enjoy it. My husband's Linguine di Vondole was delicious and my vegetarian lasagna was good. The quality of the food is very high here. The service is impeccable. We'll go back but I'll try another dish and hope it has a little more flavor than the lasagna. We were impressed overall, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class PlacedelasolDined on 5/4/2014I took my wife and son here for a pre-Mother's Day celebration and we were treated with 5-star service and food. The place is also kid-friendly. We will come back here again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceEstevezDined on 5/3/2014I knew it was going to be a great restaurant right when i walked through the door. The food and service was amazing.Special Features:
- excellent foodsweetie10Dined on 5/2/2014Went for a birthday and was treated wonderful. The food was fresh and the best Italian I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice experienceJamieDined on 4/30/2014We dined with a work group of 8 people and were well accommodated. The food from appetizers to dessert was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 432 reviews are from the de Medici Cucina Italiana reviews archive.
- Over-ratedDisappointeddinerDined on 4/24/2014Everything but the meals were above average. I would not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing!gkandkbDined on 4/12/2014We had the most delicious langoustinos I have ever tasted outside of my trip to Italy! The signature portofino sole was spectacular, as was the service. The best place for a bit of peace and truly fine food in an otherwise trendy, party neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner & show nightalwaysreadytoeatDined on 4/12/2014We went for dinner prior to attending a show at the Balboa Theatre. Food was great, good wine and nice ambiance. Little trouble getting waiter's attention after we were seated. Think maybe he didn't know we were in his station. Learned later that it was his first night alone after finishing his training. Owner worked the room most of the evening. Would go there again.Special Features:
- Outstanding service!DD22Dined on 4/11/2014The wait staff spoils you! The owner visits your table to ensure your satisfaction. A must go if visiting San Diego - better Italian than any spot in Little Italy section of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great late night find in GasLampTonyVIPDined on 4/4/2014Kudo's all-around - great service, exceptional meal, solid wine and special dessert. Never been before and was a great late night find in the GasLamp district!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Diego TripStevieB52Dined on 3/30/2014I found de Medici on Open Table's reviews, and it truly was a joy to visit. The decor was classic, as was the service. It was a quiet Sunday night, so the place was not overly busy. Our server had several good suggestions, and he took very good care of us dunring our visit. I tried their signature dish which was sea bass, and it was wonderful. The rest of the party had several different dishes, and all were excellent. We are all fans of Italian cuisine, and we were all very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time and loved the waiterNAEA8Dined on 3/29/2014We had a great time! The preselected menu (through a special arrangement made by the National Art Education Association for convention participants) offered good choices. Our waiter was very amiable and made our group dining a lot of fun - he was efficient, on target, and had a great sense of humor.Special Features:
- Delicious food and amazing service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014We ordered seafood...very tasty and delicious. The presentation of the food was impressive and amazing, nicely done. The staff was friendly, patient and helpful. The price is a little bit in the upscale, but the serving was more than you can eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Italian restaurantMugsyVIPDined on 3/15/2014We have been here several times. The service is superb. The owner personally visits every table. It is old style Italian, with booths and white table cloths. Food is traditional and very good. We had caprese salad with scrumptious burrata cheese. The eggplant appetizer was ver good and the spaghetti and meatballs were traditional and tasty. Service is exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an oasisswimtagDined on 3/15/2014It was St. Patricks weekend and we went for a special dinner (spouse, 12 YO daughter). The food was excellent, the waiter Omar was amazing - even got my daughter to help him make the caesar salad! It was really quiet inside with the chaos outside - very sparse crowd but that made it even more special. Attentive service but not in your face. I'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGergDined on 2/26/2014The steak was excellent. The server, Juan, was excellent. My out of town guest really enjoyed it. Thank you:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italiana, Old StyleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/25/2014This restaurant appears to be a bit of a throwback, but the food is delicious and the waiters are trained professionals who are very polite and conscientious (no one will greet a couple with "how are you guys" in this establishment).Special Features:
- Basic Italian foodCas9VIPDined on 2/21/2014We ate at this restaurant because it was walking distance from our hotel. The staff were very attentive. The food was tasty but not exceptional. We had a pleasant dinner out. It was a little pricey for what awas offered. The tab came to $100 for the two of us and only one of us had wine and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EveningGaryDined on 2/16/2014Food was good, ambiance very nice. Salads could have been better, somewhat bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing dinner!SteveMDined on 2/15/2014The staff at de Medicis never fails to knock it out of the park. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saved my valentine dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Came here last minute an they accommodated us like we were special guests. Loved them will come back!Special Features:
- wonderful birthday for the wifemattandluluDined on 2/8/2014The staff and food was excellent. wife had steak and lobster and she loved it...it was her bday so she splurged and have a fantastic meal. The waiter helped my wife pair her wine and she is still smiling about the dinner. thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Osobucco!nadomanDined on 2/8/2014average food and they did not have their speciality on a Saturday night at 7:30pm! They said that they only make 7-10 per night and you have to reserve them. Please give me a break when is the last time you had to reserve an entree??? Maybe make some more???
- Love Returning HerepamjbubDined on 2/8/2014Although we weren't even staying in San Diego Gaslamp District... we drove in from our hotel in La Jolla ... JUST to enjoy the Steak and Lobster ... everything is always fresh, meat is juicy and tender! The attention to detail at our dining table is always outstanding! The owner is always on hand with an "eagle eye" ... watching diner and servers alike! He makes sure his customers are treated well! Enjoyed every morsel !! But, no room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.