de Medici Cucina Italiana
815 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
de Medici Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.demedicisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6197027228x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday–Thursday 5:00pm–10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm–11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Macias
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from de Medici Cucina Italiana
Make your next event a memorable experience in one of the Gaslamp’s most elegant and highly recommended Italian restaurants. Surrounded in an ambiance of old world charm, de’ Medici features the authentic cuisine of Italy, including a vast selection of Italian seafood specialties. Fabulous food, personalized service and attention to details are just a few examples of the high standards that set them apart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
de Medici Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (23)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (19)notable wine list (14)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- I continue to go and send othersAnnieFannieDined on 10/1/20149 years ago this was an accidental find. Since that time i have continued to go, send friends and hear of my original party return on separate occasions. As out of town visitors choosing to return with so many other options that should say enough. My favorite restaurant in the country and I travel a lot. NEVER EVER disappointing. Table side salad is my rave item. Sal always looking out for everyone and treating you like family. You will feel like you stepped into the most amazing Italian movie. The fresh cut meat, the fish, the chicken.... all served as it should be..... To perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbeesDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant was understaffed and service was slower than a snails pace. We expected more than dirty dishes on our table for 30 minutes between courses. We ordered the Caesar salad for two to see how they could command $30 for it -- it was very ordinary and the table side preparation wasn't at all special -- the aisles were so small, it was difficult to get the cart to our table. Fortunately, we had one of the better tables or the dinner would have been a fiasco. The entrees (seabass and lobster raviolis) were acceptable but not noteworthy. We were celebrating a special birthday and weren't left with enough time (90 minutes elapsed) to read, let alone, order desert as were going to a concertSpecial Features:
- Sunday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Our server was given a table of 10, a table of 6, and our table of 4. Although we noted at 5:30 that we needed to be on our way by 7 PM, our main course arrived at 6:30, with our empty cocktail glasses still on the table. We needed to ask twice for our bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Very slow serviceRSFmomDined on 9/28/2014We arrived for dinner with a 5:30 reservation. The service problems began when no one came over to greet the table after being seated by the hostess. We had to call the hostess over and let her know no one had been by yet. At 7:00pm we still didn't have dinner!! The dining room was 75% full. As far as the food, the lobster bisque was overly thick. The garlic bread was cold and we had to ask for warm bread. The sole was delicious--highly recommend it. This was our first time at dmedici and we won't be back. Something is not right with the service.
- Too much garlicRicardoDined on 9/27/2014Very nice atmosphere and good service but food was just so so. Dressing on Cesear salad was much too strong. Veal chop Marsala was undercooked and sauce was very sweet . Lobster ravioli was fishy . My husband liked the veal parm. Wouldn't go backSpecial Features:
- Yum!TotalFoodieDined on 9/26/2014The food was very good. I had the pesto gorgonzola gnocchi and lobster bisque. Great ambiance. I have been dining here since 2009 and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableabscVIPDined on 9/23/2014The service and food were excellent. Valet parking avoids stress of finding parking.Special Features:
- Definitely will be going backTdineroDined on 9/19/2014De Medici is fantastic. The interior decor is classic, reminiscent of something you'd see in a movie. The staff is very professional and highly attentive. Most importantly, the menu is expansive, the food delicious! Prices are quite reasonable for such a rich dining experience. I highly recommend de Medici.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING Dinner Spot!!CorEDined on 9/13/2014Great location in the heart of Gaslamp, the food is absolutely amazing with incredibly generous (family-sized) portions. The service was excellent and our server (Sarceno) was incredibly knowledgeable about their wine and menu selections. We had a large group and they were able to easily accommodate us and make us feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FoodsafetylawyerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I was just back from a vacation in Italy when I dined here solo while on a business trip. An oasis of elegance in a hot neighborhood, this is old style formal service. I was treated well, dining alone on a Saturday night. The cannelloni with lobster, crab and shrimp was outstanding and a generous appetizer. I chose veal Marsala as an entree and it was rich with wine and demiglace and an abundance of mushrooms, all topping extremely thin and tender veal. Crime brûlée completed the menu, nicely done.Special Features:
- The bestSandyDined on 9/13/2014As usual, the restaurant is the best! Sal is always great and so is Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicePeruvianDinersVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had our anniversary dinner here and everything was great. The food was great and they even gave us a tiramisu to share that was delicious. But, the best was the friendliness of and service by the entire staff. Our waiter, Omar, especially made sure that we were taken care of all evening, and even when it was time to leave he very graciously went out ahead of us to get us a taxi to our next destination. Would highly recommend Medici to all.Special Features:
- Good foodKevinVIPDined on 8/30/2014Nice menu variety, good food with excellent service.Special Features:
- Our favorite Italian RestaurantdowntowngemDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I love this place. The atmosphere is perfect, the service is fantastic, and the food is delicious! My husband always orders the chicken parm and I love the gnocchi with pesto sauce. Our favorite servers are Juan and Sardeno! They make our dinner experience fun and entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest Italian in the GaslampechoracerDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I just wanted a nice evening out, we decided to spend it downtown, after a movie at the nearby theatre we were impressed by the excellent decor and atmosphere. We started out with an excellent glass of white wine (my wife) and the best Rye Manhattan I've ever had. Don't miss out on the tableside prepared caesar salad, they even perfectly timed the delivery of the chilled forks. My lobster ravioli and vodka sauce was excellent, the server suggested a Malbec and it paired up nicely, my wife's Fussili Fra'Diavolo was excellent, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a fine italian dinning experience in the Gaslamp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time place for us to dineJohnMDined on 8/1/2014We have been going to this restaurant since the week it opened, about 20 years. The owner Sal has become a dear friend of ours. We have not been there for a few years, we moved out of the area. So, when we decided to go to San Diego this was the only choice for us to dine. The menu is still great, with all the items we like and some new ones that looked great. They do a Caesar Salad at table side along with a desert, Bananas Foster. This is something everyone should experience when dining here. We will be sure to dine here the next time we are back.Special Features:
- 2nd time around was even better!dirtbikedadDined on 7/31/2014This is my second trip to San Diego in as many years and this was one place that I wanted to experience a second time. We were not disappointed. Amazing and attentive service, fabulous meal and great ambiance inside and out.Special Features:
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/23/2014We went here to celebrate our anniversary because it was the restaurant where we got engaged. They reserved the exact same booth for us, the brought us a complimentary dessert with a sparkler, and palette cleansing lemon ice. They were fantastic. Juan was a very attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulluvgoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is wonderful. Everyone there went out of their way to be pleasant, food served hot and I had Steak Diane prepared tableside, which was so so so good. We will be back. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and the couple with us was also celebrating their anniversary. Each couple got a cake and it was so thoughtful of them to do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice atmosphereRenegadebbDined on 7/18/2014Food was very good, service was fair. Sat outside and that was very nice. Had the meatballs and friends had the Sea Bass which they said wax wonderful. Would recommend and would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Diego SpotMarkVIPDined on 7/12/2014I've been coming here for 9 years. The food and service is outstanding. One of the few places that makes Cesar Salad table side. If you can get there on a Friday or Saturday night, the Osso Bucco is to die for. But don't get there late it sells out fast. MR. AV is a very gracious host and although I on get there about once or twice a year he has a knack for remembering his guests, which always makes for a very special experience.Special Features:
- DecliningJlrhoustonDined on 7/5/2014I have eaten hear numerous times. It's quality has really declined. Will not come back
- The following 446 reviews are from the de Medici Cucina Italiana reviews archive.
- Overpriced foodSfgirlVIPDined on 6/30/2014I took my mom and aunt here for a birthday dinner on a trip to San Diego and we were so disappointed. The restaurant looks nice, but the food was pricey and mediocre. The lobster in my risotto was tough and rubbery, my aunt's steak was not flavorful and even the bread was cold. I found this place on Yelp but save your money and time! Olive Garden has better food! The two stars are for good service and the dessert.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Great service and amazing authentic Italian food. Very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014This is the second time I've been to the restaurant and the service was good and everyone's food was good except mine. I had the Scallopine alla Marsala and it was tasty but tough. Everyone else in the party enjoyed their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware: They Nickle-And-Dime YouMtradesDined on 6/28/2014My mother asked to substitute the rice for spaghetti. She ordered the osso bucco, and prefers to eat it with spaghetti. The General Manager told our waitress she was going to charge for the substitution. Why would you charge to have that kind of substitution for a premium and costly meal? The general manager said it because the "Chef" made the rice to compliment the meal. So, what she is really saying is that we are being punished for wanting spaghetti instead of rice. There are plenty of other Italian restaurants in San Diego that would never do that; The Godfather, Pomodoro Ristorante Italiano, Charisma Cucina Italiana, and I could go on. I will never eat there again because of the idiotic reason and desperate way of making a dime.
- Disappointing experienceBritinNCVIPDined on 6/18/2014There are many great restaurants in SD, but this isn't one of them. Food is hearty but doesn't really hit the mark. Whole set up is traditional (some what old fashioned). Location is good for tourists, but if you are a foody there are many better options at this price point.
- AMAZINGPotluckVIPDined on 6/11/2014This place was fantastic. The wait staff and (owner) provided an amazing dining experience. The corkage was a bit high. When in San Diego, I will dine again. Absolutely the best Italian.Special Features:
- partyof5Dined on 5/29/2014Five of us went to dine here while visiting San Diego and were delighted with the food, the service and the ambience. We had the lasagna with meatballs, steak and lobster, lobster ravioli, and the divine sole Portofino along with the house salad. Everything was excellent. Fresh, tasty, hot, and served with great style. The service was fantastic, where we wanted for nothing but were not constantly bothered. The Owner of the restaurant came out and spoke with us and made recommendations. It was a great experience and we will go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014We dine here every visit to San Diego. The food is outstanding and owner Mr Vitale ensures that the experience is flawless. If you enjoy fine dining Scicilian style then this is the placeSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Food and ServiceStevlanDined on 5/16/2014Absolutely best Italian food I've had outside of Italy. James (our server) is a credit to his profession and gave us all wonderful suggestions. Well worth the money every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in San DiegomadaboutdiningDined on 5/10/2014We decided to go to dinner in the Gaslamp Qtr. and chose de Medici since we'd never eaten there. Started with table side Caesar salad (a splurge, since it was 14.95 a person). Our waitress was very professional and we enjoyed hearing how she was making the salad. It was about a 10 minute show which was fun. It wasn't the very best Caesar we'd ever had but we did enjoy it. My husband's Linguine di Vondole was delicious and my vegetarian lasagna was good. The quality of the food is very high here. The service is impeccable. We'll go back but I'll try another dish and hope it has a little more flavor than the lasagna. We were impressed overall, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class PlacedelasolDined on 5/4/2014I took my wife and son here for a pre-Mother's Day celebration and we were treated with 5-star service and food. The place is also kid-friendly. We will come back here again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceEstevezDined on 5/3/2014I knew it was going to be a great restaurant right when i walked through the door. The food and service was amazing.Special Features:
- excellent foodsweetie10Dined on 5/2/2014Went for a birthday and was treated wonderful. The food was fresh and the best Italian I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice experienceJamieDined on 4/30/2014We dined with a work group of 8 people and were well accommodated. The food from appetizers to dessert was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedDisappointeddinerDined on 4/24/2014Everything but the meals were above average. I would not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing!gkandkbDined on 4/12/2014We had the most delicious langoustinos I have ever tasted outside of my trip to Italy! The signature portofino sole was spectacular, as was the service. The best place for a bit of peace and truly fine food in an otherwise trendy, party neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner & show nightalwaysreadytoeatDined on 4/12/2014We went for dinner prior to attending a show at the Balboa Theatre. Food was great, good wine and nice ambiance. Little trouble getting waiter's attention after we were seated. Think maybe he didn't know we were in his station. Learned later that it was his first night alone after finishing his training. Owner worked the room most of the evening. Would go there again.Special Features:
- Outstanding service!DD22Dined on 4/11/2014The wait staff spoils you! The owner visits your table to ensure your satisfaction. A must go if visiting San Diego - better Italian than any spot in Little Italy section of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.