De La Tierra at El Monte Sagrado Resort - Kessler
317 Kit Carson Rd.
Taos, NM 87571Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
De La Tierra at El Monte Sagrado Resort - Kessler
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elmontesagrado.com/dining
- Phone: 5757379855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: November - April: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; May - October: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Dining Room closed daily between 2:00pm and 5:00pm; Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday:11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Henry Chaperont
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: De La Tierra features a private wine room that seats up 8 people in an elegant European style wine cave atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: A. Malik 5757379873
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday nights offer live entertainment in the Anaconda Bar.
A word from De La Tierra at El Monte Sagrado Resort - Kessler
One of Taos' most highly acclaimed culinary destinations, The De La Tierra Restaurant offers an atmosphere that is both elegant and relaxed. Executive Chef Henry Chaperont's innovative style — focuses on seasonal ingredients, farm raised meats, fresh fish and the abundance of available local produce with European and southwest influences. Breakfast and lunch are served daily in the Gardens Dining Room, and dinner served nightly in the De la Tierra Dining Room. Sunday Brunch served 11am to 3pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
De La Tierra at El Monte Sagrado Resort - Kessler reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (6)romantic (4)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Prior to my visit I checked the menu and pricing. I ordered the trout tacos even though they raised the pricing $9 since there was an event in Santa Fe, 60 miles away. Also, the tacos had so much of their sauce I could hardly taste the fish.
- LindajsweetpeaVIPDined on 8/5/2014We were only 2 people in restaurant. Difficult to rate as a result. Dinner was good however.
- Taos DiningChuckDined on 7/26/2014We have dined here several times and chose De La Tierra for lunch. The trout tacos were grand, and the quesadilla was very tatty, too. Service and ambience, as always, lent to a tranquil and peaceful dining experience.Special Features:
- Why are you sending me this?RailindVIPDined on 6/5/2014When we arrived at the restaurant, they told us they no longer dealt with Open Table. Therefore, they did not have our reservation, even though I showed them your confirmation. Fortunately, they had room and were able to seat us. So, why am I getting this note about reviewing the restaurant for you?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSandraDined on 5/30/2014Initially the ambience was interesting, as we sat in the "garden" area which wasn't in a garden but had a fish tank in it. Our server was very service oriented and pleasant although she seemed a little new. My quinoa "steak" was quite tasty but my hsband's trout was not good. We shared a dessert of cheesecake that was tasty but its texture was not like a cheesecake: not creamy, like it had flour in it. Overall a disappointment and we won't be back. Also the parking situation was odd.
- Taoshard2pleaseDined on 5/22/2014We were disappointed by this restaurant. The service was friendly but the food was just average and not correctly prepared. I ordered a Filet Mignon medium rare and got two thin pieces that were crunchy (well done). My wife ordered a Shrimp Quesadilla and received a tortilla filled with cheese with the top covered in sour cream and a shrimp. There was no way to handle it aside from eating the shrimp off the top and tossing the sour cream soaked tortilla and cheese. By the end of the meal my wife was not feeling well and the friendly server spent time to talk with her and get her some tea; very nice. The room was practically empty and brightly lit with little ambience. We expected better from this incredibly beautiful hotel facility.
- The following 65 reviews are from the De La Tierra at El Monte Sagrado Resort - Kessler reviews archive.
- YumMrsFoodieDined on 4/20/2014Yummy Easter Brunch..a bit pricey but food and service were both great...cant wait to.go back to Taos to try them out for lunch ;)Special Features:
- Exceptional setting in atriumOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/10/2014Exceptional setting in atrium featuring tropical trees and plants. The architectural highlights of this hotel are remarkable.Special Features:
- Limited Wine List and So-So FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/6/2014The wines by the glass were quite limited--but more impressive than the wines by the bottle. There were only a few "light" reds/pinot noirs. They were all over $150 a bottle. The trout was lousy; it tasted like it was quite old. The chicken was okay. The creamed corn was wonderful. We had the Butcher's Plate at the bar before dinner. It was very tastey. Next time, we will stay in the bar and add a few sides with teh Butcher's Plate. While we will not have dinner at De La Tierra again, the breakfast was quite good.
- Valentine's Dinner Not To Be ForgotMJAckmanDined on 2/14/2014I made reservations for their special Valentines's Dinner and I was not disappointed. I menu was great and I don't believe the food could have been cooked any better. Our server was exceptional making the night very memorable. I would not hesitate to make reservations for any occasion. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgous venue Food moderateLuckfamilyDined on 1/19/2014We love the atmjosphere at El Monte but the food was just not worth the price. Nothing outstanding . Steaks and Bison were tough and stringy. The bartender was just rude. After dinner we joined friends at the bar and the bartender turned his nose up and made rude remarks about every drink order. He treated everyone that way, not just us..Special Features:
- Best for Business In TaosBizdinerDined on 1/13/2014For the past few years, I have consistently chosen El Monte Sagrado as the place to hold my business meetings, usually over lunch or coffee. This venue meets all my needs for wheelchair accessibility. I typically host businesspeople and politicians and their staffs who are consistently impressed that such a fine meeting place exists in Taos. The overall ambience is outstanding for my purposes of making my guests relaxed and open to important discussions of major issues affecting our community. The El Monte Sagrado staff are always top-tier whether attending to our general needs or any specific requests. Overall, this is as perfect a place as I can find in Taos for conducting casual yet highly productive professional meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing New Years Eve dinnerBillnsueDined on 12/31/2013The food was spectacular They served a special three course dinner for New Year's Eve. The oysters were absolutely the best I've ever tasted. Lightly dusted and fried just until creamy. Would have loved to have made a meal out of them. The filet was cooked perfectly and the reduction sauce and garlic mashed potatoes were to die for. Service was very attentive. Carlos was knowledgeable and pleasant. Would love to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvement on serviceDadaDined on 12/28/2013Overall , hotel and dining area are very unusual architecturally interesting settings. However, the 5 minute wait just for the hostess to arrive to seat several small groups was totally unacceptable for a 3/4 star hotel. The dining service area needs new management as we ran into the same problem in the bar area , which is a gorgeous setting. The menu and food selection was good and an interesting and healthy mix, spoiled only again by the table service, which was also horribly slow. Too bad, with a top notch dining room management , this restaurant could become a destination for travelers, and locales instead of the few people stuck at the hotel at night. There is potential for a really wonderful , memorable offering. Much work is needed.Special Features:
- De La TerribleAmazingVIPDined on 12/25/2013This was a romantic Christmas night dinner at De La Tierra. I made reservations (as recommended) well in advance. The menu was a prix fixe of $45/person with a limited menu. All started out well enough. The waiter took our drink orders and came back with them to take our meal orders. Then we never saw the waiter again until I had to ask for the check. When our meals were brought out it seemed as if everybody disappeared. I had to ask for our waiter for the dessert ordering. He never came so we asked another waiter. I then asked for our waiter for the check, then of course, he showed up. Never once acknowledging something was wrong Forgettable meal and non-existent service. With so many choices in Taos I would never go back here.
- Great find in TaosEWF3Dined on 12/24/2013Taos southwest cuisine can get pretty redundant after a few days, and fine dining is hit-or-miss and usually overpriced and hurried. So we were hesitant about El Monte Sagrado for Christmas Eve dinner. However, we had a great dining experience. Great food, ambiance, wine list. Unhurried, as one would expect from a top-tier restaurant, but very attentive service. Probably not a great choice for people with small kids, in a hurry, or looking for value prices, but if you are looking for an intimate dining experience I highly recommend El Monte Sagrado. We will definitely come back again... and again.Special Features:
- The Seared Halibut was notrogmadodgeVIPDined on 11/17/2013The Seared Halibut was not edible . So tough it must have been frozen and then thawed in a microwave. The people were very accommodating but quality management from the kitchen was absent.
- Good Food, Better StaffHachitaEQsDined on 10/11/2013Food was good, nothing spectacular. Wait staff and hostess made the visit enjoyable. The hostess went out of her way to accomodate us by switching our table away from the kitchen/serving area. They were out of the wines my husband wanted, but our waitress tried very hard to make up for that. It was refreshing to see that there are people who still know how to help you have a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for lousy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/30/2013Ever enter a restaurant and get the feeling they are not organized? That the wait staff is understaffed and the kitchen can't keep up? Well, that's the vibe at De La Tierra. When it arrived after more than a 50 minute wait, my food was mediocre and skimpy for the price tag. Realizing the wait was far too long , the waiter did discount our meal without us suggesting it. Which was kind, but let's face it, if you are staying at the hotel it is convenient to eat at the restaurant and they know it. It's really too bad because it could be great.
- Doesn't Belong on the PropertyFoodieBoyVIPDined on 9/15/2013Inferior meat. Uncaring service. If you stay at Monte Sagrado eat at Lambert's in town.
- Something Special in TaosSomuchwineVIPDined on 8/30/2013My wife and I had the Beef tenderloin and a 2005 Charmis-Chambertin 'Grand Cru'. Very nice. We sat in the Garden dining area by the waterfall. Great atmosphere. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th Wedding AnniversaryfrcxDined on 8/17/2013We, myself, wife, children and grand children had delightful evening with great food, great wine, and excellent service. We will return soon and not wait 50 years.Special Features:
- Great breakfast in your hotel!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/10/2013Love having breakfast here. The food is wonderful and the service is friendly and unhurried. Dinner is also good, with a nice continental menu and good wines by the glass.Special Features:
- The Best in TaosCaliforniavisitorsDined on 8/3/2013Excellent ambiance and experience! Food was delicious, service superb and will remain a treasured dining experience. Thank you.Special Features:
- Disappointingfpr22Dined on 7/19/2013We have had good and fair meals at this restaurant in the past but chefs change more often than is optimal in the Taos area so you never know what you will get. The pork and chicken were overdone and dry and for the diners at our table having steak and the pork, proper knives were not given. The ambiance and décor is upscale but the food and service did not match up, at least on this visit.
- A beautiful restful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2013Food and service are good - the resort itself is wonderful - filled with fountains, trees and casitas in the pueblo style. Very close to main area of Taos. Owned by MarriottSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I celebratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/16/2013My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here and had a lovely meal. Joaquim was a great server too.Special Features:
- Went for Thanksgiving dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Went for Thanksgiving dinner. The restaurant was empty. The food was fair and the selections were minimal. The dessert table was left empty and I had to ask for refills on the pies. The only thing on the menu that was good was the shrimp.
- The staff at El Monte SagradoTanDDined on 11/22/2012The staff at El Monte Sagrado Resort is outstanding! They are very welcoming, as well as attentive. We had a great time and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Outstanding entree options.JackiemacDined on 11/19/2012The menu is small but has some delicious options. The duck breast I had was outstanding.Special Features:
- Kaleidoscope of different cuisinesChristopherVIPDined on 11/16/2012This restaurant comes up online with very positive reviews. The menu is a kaleidoscope of many different cuisines and styles, so it is perplexing to categorize what type of cuisine that this restaurant specializes in. While our server was outgoing and provided amazing service, he admittedly was not fully versed on the wine list. The lighting in the restaurant was a little to bright to classify this experience romantic.Special Features:
- Excellent service. WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2012Excellent service. Wonderful food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!!! Your staff is awesome and were very helpful! We will definately return to your resort in the future!!!Special Features:
- Truly spectacular and somehowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012Truly spectacular and somehow we were the only ones there...on a Wednesday night. The trout was perfect...and figure out a way to order the blue cheese chips. They are homemade and truly decadent. Wow. The hotel is also beautiful, walk the grounds after dinner.Special Features:
- Management needs to decideOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2012Management needs to decide if it wants to elevate the menu and service to match the ambiance or simply be a solid mid-level restaurant. As configured, it is caught between two worlds doing neither particularly well. For a really light night, the service was unforgivably slow.
- Very nice diningDenverDined on 8/8/2012Beautiful dining, nice menu, good food, moderately priced, excellent friendly service, big portions. Something for everyone.Special Features:
- The service here is very friendlyRRJBVIPDined on 8/1/2012The service here is very friendly and attentive. We sat in the patio area, it was more relaxed and less uptight. It was great to have a drink while watching the rain come down. The food is good but the portions are huge, even the so called 'small plates' came with enough food for two people to share.
- Just was NOT what we expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/28/2012Just was NOT what we expected. There wa NO ONE there, and we almost left, but it had been a busy day. I would NEVER go there because there are SO many other, better places. We should not have depended on AAA for a review. It was totally mediocre.
- Good food at the resortKnoxvilleGuyVIPDined on 7/5/2012We were guests at the resort and decided to dine here on our first night since it was easy. Overall the food was good. Be aware that the portion sizes are more than adequate, even for the small plates. I had elk that was outstanding -- probably the best I've ever had. We had appetizers that were nice and my wife's entree was good too. On the negative side, the entrees were brought out before we had finished our appetizers. The wine we ordered was not at the right temperature - they did warn us of this to be fair and attempted to chill it, but that took awhile. I think any wine offered should be available at the proper temperature. The service was friendly. Overall, no big complaints and quality food, just not great from a service view.
- We were seated in the cafeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2012We were seated in the cafe instead of the de La Tierra room because it was a quiet night, very disappointing. The food was very good, sizable portions. Salads were fresh, salmon was very good. We had wanted a special meal for our stay Taos, and although the cafe was pretty it was not as elegant as we had wanted.