1401 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dccoast.com/dccoast.html
- Phone: 2022165988x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:30 - 9:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeff Tunks
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from DC Coast
DC Coast is the flagship restaurant of David Wizenberg, Gus DiMillo, and Chef Jeff Tunks, proprietors of Passion Food Hospitality. Located in DC's first Art Deco building, DC Coast strives to redefine classic cuisine and spirits. Chef Miles Vaden puts his own creative twist on the tri-coastal cuisine that has made DC Coast a popular dining spot for the last 15 years while bartender Lauren Lowe mixes up classic Prohibition Era cocktails with her own modern flavor. In addition to the regular menu, DC Coast offers a new tasting menu each month, featuring the cuisine and wine of a different coast from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
DC Coast - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
DC Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (83)great for lunch (69)romantic (42)good for groups (39)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014I made a recent trip to DC and having stayed at The Hamilton at 14th and K previously, took in this restaurant (I've been there a couple of times). It was excellent--as usual. We had the tasting menu with paired wines and it was uniformly superb, with great service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Still Doing It Right!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Recently returned to this flagship of the conglomerate and found all in order. Our party of 6 was seated quickly even though late for a 6:30 Friday reservation. The house was about 2/3- 3/4 full. Waitress was prompt, professional, and helpful. She knew what was going on with all the specials as well as regular menu items and wine list. The swordfish special was a big hit with the 3 in our party who ordered it. The standard menu scallops were cooked to perfection. The "traditional" stir-fry smoked lobster was a great presentation with equally successful taste! Even the steak at this predominantly seafood place was up to expectation for the 1 who ordered it. We'll definitely keep it in the rotation.Special Features:
- Entrees were good, but nothing elseOMsODined on 9/25/2014I asked the waiter to point to out a rose for us, but of course he couldn't find it either. He had to go back and ask the manager. He came back and again after two minutes of looking found the one rose by the glass. We ordered shrimp cocktails to start and Caesar salads. Shrimp tasted frozen and the Caesar was drenched to the point that I wanted to send it back. I should have because the small salad with my main course was also drenched. I ordered the crab cakes and my colleague ordered the scallops. They were actually pretty good. The waiter of course forgot our side of collard greens. Told him to forget it when he offered to place the order after our entrees were served. Food and service was ok. I will not return.
- Still delightful!!!Essjay05Dined on 9/23/2014Recently selected DC Coast for a spur of the moment Tuesday night business dinner for five. What a great decision! Service was impeccable, crowd was light and food was superb!! The red velvet brownie is ridiculously delicious. I think I'll be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't go backglutenfreehsjDined on 9/18/2014Went for dinner, I had the Coast to Coast tasting. Course 1: half a cup of oyster stew, great. Course 2: crab cake, great Course 3: Rockfish with creamed spinach and over cooked finger potatoes with gravy... terrible!!!! Flavors were gross together. Course 4: mason jar of melted sundae (Ihave had a better sundae from McDonalds for a buck). Oh, and the waiter was WAY too chatty. Hey buddy, I am here to eat, not hear your personal philosophies on education. Ugh, do not recommend!
- SimplyVDined on 9/14/2014Great place to hang out with friends. Food was very good and a great friendly staff. I would recommend this restaurant to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slowwww.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014everything was great except the pace of service. it took forever...
- Boring and safedecentseafoodforMSPVIPDined on 9/13/2014This place was stale. Did the tasting menu and the food wasn't bad, but it was NOT exciting. Time to get a new chef and steps things up unless you're just catering to every 80 year old in a suit that walks in the door.Special Features:
- KikiDined on 9/8/2014Very good food and service. Great bar service. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting great seafoodSpecial Features:
- Frequent CustomerswmboVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our Nth visit to DC Coast. It continues to be our go-to restaurant for out of town guests, close friends and 'just us' meals. Beginning with the friendly bartender who clearly loves the place and promotes their other properties, to the patient wait staff who rarely roll their eyes at our failure to look at the menu until their 3rd attempt to take our order, we are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great service Ok FoodConferenceTravellerDined on 9/5/2014The service was great and server we had was very friendly and helpful. Food was ok, although over seasoned and very salty.
- Love this place!EhpasmalDined on 9/5/2014I absolutely adore this place. We go here frequently for lunch and I can't speak highly enough about it. I have not had anything on their menu (or their specials) that wasn't delicious! The staff is fantastic- I had the soft shell crab po'boy one day with sweet potato fries and I asked for bbq sauce (I always do this with sweet potato fries, call me weird) and the waiter went into their staff fridge to find me bbq sauce because they don't generally have any otherwise. He was a complete doll about it! Another waiter spoke five languages- which was great, as he spoke italian with me, tagalog with my phillipino coworker, etc. Very charming! It's never crazy for lunch and we love it!Special Features:
- excellent fishDenSDined on 8/30/2014We went on a Saturday night, and had little time prior to a show at 7:30PM.... We had salmon, and it was excellent.... the salad and the dressing was also superb.. Desert was taken from another menu (peach cobbler) and it was actually not good.... but many other deserts were available, but they seemed over the top and we were running out of time.... the service was also tops.... they helped us with a cab... Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!foodietouristDined on 8/23/2014We had a great experience at DC Coast. The food was wonderful (we both had the Lobster Stir-Fry) and the waitress was extremely friendly and helpful. The only thing bad I can say is the woman working the entrance was not very friendly. Everything else was superb.Special Features:
- First timemcgwuireVIPDined on 8/22/2014First time to DC Coast. Our server's shift ended in the middle of our dinner and it was obvious. I paid my way through college waiting tables for nine years and from my perspective service was bad. Appetizer's were really good. My dates meal was excellent, mine (fish of the day) was bland and dry. The dessert was terrible, red velvet brownie; it tasted like something that just came out of the freezer and literally had no flavor. I would go back to DC Coast and give it a second try because I believe we just caught them on a bad night.Special Features:
- Best seafood in DcSmiledrDined on 8/21/2014This is not only the best seafood in DC but the service is outstanding. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- CJCHKHVIPDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I were very disappointed. Way overpriced food, service by the waiter non existent ( we did not see our waiter between the time we ordered and the time we chased her down for the bill), 8$ for water service( we got one glass each). Do yourself a favour and don't be tricked by the tourist guides. They got this one wrong.
- Great spotDefNotAFoodieDined on 8/19/2014Great menu with healthy seafood options. Knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the "Southern fusion"ParisianDined on 8/17/2014The elegance and comfort of the restaraunt certainly enhanced the dining experience. The service was professional. The food was as good as any can be found. I loved the "Southern Fusion" of sophisticated choices using traditional southern dishes such as Collard Greens and Succotash. I think it is a perfect restaraunt for a special ocassion or for entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so happy to returnWilltvl4greatfoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just moved back to DC and this was our first revisit in many years.......service and food were still amazing. Fish of the day was prepared with lovely expertise by the chef..... Glad to have this in our area Great for seafoodSpecial Features:
- Fab for restaurant week priceDaleDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, largest cobb salad I ever had & artic char was superbly skin charred.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodGAfoodguyDined on 8/14/2014Great value and excellent food ate here for restaurant week with 5 friends and everyone was impressed with food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceAMG22Dined on 8/13/2014I opted for the watermelon gazpacho and the swordfish skewers and was NOT disappointed! They were both amazing! The service was excellent and I can't wait to back to the restaurant! Well done!Special Features:
- DC CoastGoTotheArtandSoulDined on 8/13/2014DC Coast was a first for me-Aug 13, 2014. The location and wine was great. As I looked around at other servers and what he or she was doing, my server was not as attentive. I don't think there were enough choices for restaurant week and 4 of the choices you added nine dollar to the restaurant week price. Maybe lunch is different? ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great Birthday LunchLuvsMinionsDined on 8/13/2014Our team went to DC Coast to celebrate a colleague's birthday. I had reserved the table through Open Table and noted that we were celebrating a birthday. Imagine our surprise when we saw "Happy Birthday Anthony" on all of our menus! Nice touch. The service was excellent; the food was great. I am already planning my next birthday celebration there.Special Features:
- dinner with friendrebeccaofdcVIPDined on 8/12/2014Known for seafood. That is the reason to dine at DC Coast. Watermelon gazpacho with crab a must-order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealMollyVIPDined on 8/12/2014DC Coast consistently provides good food and service, every time. That's why we don't hesitate to return or recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly disappointedNomoredccoastDined on 8/11/2014I chose this resturant because we had a wonderful experience last year for summer resturant week... Sadly disappointed this summer ... The watermelon gasps vh needed another ingredient to blend the multi ingredients into one ... Scallops entree was sub par and used left over black eye peas and orizo.... We always include on our list for resturant week, but this year was a sleeper....
- Restaurant WeekJeanneDined on 8/11/2014We went to DC Coast for Restaurant Week and enjoyed it. The food was delicious, but was not the best I have ever had. Our server was OK, but did not check on us very often, and did not give overly helpful suggestions unless you were willing to pay more than the $35 pre-fixe menu.Special Features:
- Dissapointing Compared to PastFoxonWheelsVIPDined on 8/11/2014Disappointing meal, particularly compared to past experiences. Been to DC Coast numerous times and was VERY pleased. Last night, drinks were great, appetizers excellent, all three main courses underwhelming. Ordered scallops w/mashed blackeyed peas/roasted peppers/orzo/kale and country ham vinaigrette. Sounds good, right? Well, it was nothing short of weird in terms of texture, as well as tasteless(very little viniagrete, if any at all). Too much orzo, which worked poorly with the blackeyed peas. The scallops, however, were nicely cooked and sweet. To our server's credit, he asked how I liked it and based on my response, quickly offered a replacement. Chose grilled porkchop, which was overcooked; rhubarb mustard overly sweet. Sorry guys.
- Restaurant Week TastingNoviceTravelerVIPDined on 8/11/2014A couple of co-workers and I were waiting for Restaurant week here in DC to try some restaurants. We have been to at least 3 of the Passion Food establishment restaurants(Ceiba, Acadiana). DC Coast was next on our list. The restaurant is very elegant, customer service was a great. Appetizer I ordered was the grits and shrimp fritters-very good! Entree was the PoBoy-I was not impressed at all and I wasn't quite sure of what seafood was used. I have had great PoBoy's from New Orleans, so I know how it was supposed to taste. There was more batter than meat and it was very greasy. They did change my order. Ambience was very nice, I may have to give them another try, but try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food prepared with imaginationStrohmerDined on 8/9/2014Excellent choice for dinner with good friends. Everything we had was excellent. My husband and I both had the lobster. The lobster was prepared perfectly and the preparation was very interesting. I am still wondering how the chef prepared the spinach. Although the lobster was presented with the shells, there was no necessity to crack the shells to get the meet. Also there was a very good wine list.Special Features:
- When Visitng DC we Visit DC CoastSkipDined on 8/9/2014We try and have dinner at DC Coast when visiting. We have been there as a couple and with our family and grandchildren (8-12) and always had a great experience. We usually enjoy the fish and the salmon special last weekend was great.Special Features:
- Accessible, unpretentious eleganceBurkeBoyDined on 8/8/2014We don't get in to town as often as we would like, but when we do DC Coast is a reliable favorite. The staff is wonderful, the food is memorable. We love the high ceiling, decor, ample windows and overall ambience. On this special occasion I let the waitress and chef choose my two-course meal. They delivered two items I would not have chosen, but I am so very glad I left the decisions in their hands. They know their stuff better than I do. The only negative for the evening was the seating. They gave us a nice private booth for our special occasion, which was much appreciated. However I didn't find the cushioned back up port very comfortable after a while. Good old chairs are more comfortable, and that is their standard arrangement.Special Features:
- Attention to Every DetailZuriDined on 8/8/2014From the ambiance to the tasty treat that accompanies the check...you can't go wrongSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each time is a great experienceNenaDined on 8/6/2014I have been at DC Coast for lunch on several occasions, and there is never ever a complaint. In my last visit I went with my boss and a co-worker to celebrate my boss’s 30th anniversary at the agency, and we were so pleasantly surprised to see the printed menu with a personal touch. The food? was absolutely delicious. As a foodie that I think I am, I am also a farmer’s market frequently visitor and noticed that the slices of tomato served with my “Po’ boy” sandwich was the freshest I ever eaten at a restaurant. Well done Chef!! The service? PRIME!! Was absolutely professional and courteous! Thank you for making lunch a very special one!Special Features:
- Worth trying once or as a regularLily1908Dined on 8/4/2014Let me just start by saying, our server was AMAZING! She was poised and exuded the essence of how you'd expect from high-class DC Coast. Friendly, professional, witty, and knowledgeable. The restaurant was clean. Food was just ok. I've dined there before in the winter time (twice) and had their delicious seafood gumbo. This is a must taste if they feature it again. This time, I had an Asian style lobster that was over-seasoned and the portion size was a bit limiting also. But it was the little visitor that popped out from the sugar tray our server brought out with our coffee. It was a small roach YES I couldn't believe my eyes! Luckily, our server caught it before it could get into our desert but my appetite was ruined after that. Sigh :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- efyjtDined on 8/3/2014Great place for birthday.. Special Menu with birthday greeting and special desert for celebrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointeddufferDined on 7/29/2014I go to DC Coast because I love their Louisiana Seafood Gumbo--unique and spicy. On my recent visit in July, I ordered it and was disappointed that the recipe seemed to have changed. It's not as spicy and tasty as previous one. My lunch guest was satisfied with her scallops.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/26/2014Very limited menu. Not enogjt seafood choices. I would not characterize this as a seafood restaurant