1401 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dccoast.com/dccoast.html
- Phone: (202) 216-5988
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:30 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Miles Vaden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from DC Coast
DC Coast is the flagship restaurant of David Wizenberg, Gus DiMillo, and Chef Jeff Tunks, proprietors of Passion Food Hospitality. Located in DC's first Art Deco building, DC Coast strives to redefine classic cuisine and spirits. Chef Miles Vaden puts his own creative twist on the tri-coastal cuisine that has made DC Coast a popular dining spot for the last 15 years while head bartender Brian Swayze mixes up classic Prohibition Era cocktails with her own modern flavor. In addition to the regular menu, DC Coast offers a daily selection of fresh catch fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
DC Coast - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
DC Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)special occasion (79)great for lunch (66)good for groups (42)romantic (34)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (14)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not as good as two years agoLatOcnsdDined on 11/19/2014Sadly, DC Coast wasn't as good as used it to be. I come to DC about every two years and DC Coast was always a reliable place with good food that while more expensive than some was worth going to. Unfortunately this time it just can't hold on to that title anymore. There are just way too many other places that offer better tasting food, with more variety, and more competitive prices now than there used to be, and DC Coast will need to adapt or continue to loose out. As it was the place wasn't full when we ate early on a Wednesday night, so may be this is a sign? The service was still good and our waiter was nice and engaging but little things like rationing the dinner rolls and butter or having only a limited number of appetizers lowers expectations. And then the food; I had the surf and turf, the most expensive thing on the rather limited menu -- too salty filet, way over done fingerling potatoes, a crab cake with no lump crab and too much breading, and bland sans-cream spinach just did not cut it compared to what I had been used to or for what they charged, and my colleagues felt the same for their dishes as well. Very unfortunate really, because it used to be a very reliable spot, but alas at least I won't be coming back. There are just too many other places that offer better, more varied food for less money.
- Great experience!Bizzee2dayDined on 11/18/2014It was my first time to visit DC Coast. We took a friend to celebrate his accomplishments and were not disappointed at all. The server recommended the scallops which were delicious. The accompanying grits and brussel sprouts were fine, but nothing to write home about. The restaurant was very nice but certainly not overpriced. The ambience was excellent and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nov 2014JustmeDined on 11/15/2014I really liked the oysters and the cherry martini. The service was good and thee atmosphere too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shhhhh...it's Girl's NightYummyVIPDined on 11/9/2014First time for Girl's Night. The place is very nice, great table service, and loved the treats from the management for appetizer and dessert treats. The entree was so small - could have used a starch like rice or something, because I didn't really like the veggie side. The crab cake was good...but very very wet. All in all, not a bad night but I did leave a little hungry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice quiet dinner at 6goodfishDined on 11/5/2014The chile appetizer was excellent. The scallops were large and perfectly cooked. The trout was an interesting mix of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic DCDCDineretteDined on 10/30/2014The food, service and ambiance were on point. Loved their new menu where you could design your own meal. The ponzu sauce was delicious and the Brussel sprouts were decadent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014Really good food. We hit on a waiter that was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Great LunchSkutchieDined on 10/29/2014Very business friendly, I would easily return. Thanks for everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in DCPaula3384Dined on 10/25/2014All the staff if friendly and we both had the surf and turf which was excellent. Filet and crabcake downright delicious. This is our second visit. And will definitely eat there next time we are in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food disappointingDCFoodieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Was excited to try this place because it's the same owners of Passion Fish out in Reston, which is great. It was our wedding anniversary and they gave us a nice table and had a custom message on the menu, which was a nice touch. However, the food was just average. The calamari appetizer was bland (the tuna tartare was very good), the crabcake and stuffed trout entrees didn't have much flavor and the portions were just average. Even the dessert didn't have much flavor. Don't plan to go back.
- Never fails to pleaseTammyVIPDined on 10/23/2014DC Coast is one of my favorite restaurants in DC, and I have been going there for several years. I especially enjoy the quality of the seafood dishes and the excellent selection of sides. Thanks for another memorable meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great choice for any occassionLizzieDined on 10/11/2014We've been to DC Coast serveral times before with business associates but decided to go for our wedding anniversary. Food, service, ambiance were all exceptional. We went with the server's recommendations for wine (which we don't often do) and it was a terrific pairing for our food choices. Food was well prepared, attractively and creatively presented and tasted great! Will definitely return next trip to Washington.Special Features:
- gathered with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Best caviar service! Requested custom drinks from the bar that were perfection. Definitely a creative delicious menu.Special Features:
- Solid spotRky23VIPDined on 10/10/2014The service was friendly and very helpful. The food was pretty good but a few things were just standard. Great location and brunch bottomless mimosa deal is very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best W,DC dining experienceDAWGDINERSDined on 10/10/2014We went for our anniversary. Every aspect of the dining made it our best DC experience. Highly recommend for anyone seeking a quality food, wine, service, ambience location. Wish it was closer to home. Would become our go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choiceCalmDined on 10/7/2014The food and service are consistently excellent. There are standards on the menu but it also changes with the seasons. Best of all are the the daily catch options with a vatiety of interesting sauces to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014Great downtown seafood for lunch, right on K st. I had the arctic char, which was tremendous.Special Features:
- A Must Dine in D.C.FoodieVIPDined on 10/4/2014DC Coast offered an unparalleled dining experience. From the moment we walked in and were welcomed from our hometown and wished a happy anniversary to the close of the night when we received complimentary dessert, DC Coast was all we had hoped for... Edwin, our waiter and host for the evening, had a great demeanor and a knowledge of the food, the wine and the DC area. He showed interest and a desire to engage with us throughout the evening. I highly recommend this restaurant as a must stop for your next visit to the Capitol! We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 1st timePiper1913Dined on 10/4/2014Our server, Jeanine was outstanding!!! She made our Anniversary dinner on to remember. Her recommendations of dishes and drinks were on point. The smoked lobster had my girlfriend humming "a happy tune" after every bite. 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014I made a recent trip to DC and having stayed at The Hamilton at 14th and K previously, took in this restaurant (I've been there a couple of times). It was excellent--as usual. We had the tasting menu with paired wines and it was uniformly superb, with great service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Still Doing It Right!UnclePestyDined on 9/26/2014Recently returned to this flagship of the conglomerate and found all in order. Our party of 6 was seated quickly even though late for a 6:30 Friday reservation. The house was about 2/3- 3/4 full. Waitress was prompt, professional, and helpful. She knew what was going on with all the specials as well as regular menu items and wine list. The swordfish special was a big hit with the 3 in our party who ordered it. The standard menu scallops were cooked to perfection. The "traditional" stir-fry smoked lobster was a great presentation with equally successful taste! Even the steak at this predominantly seafood place was up to expectation for the 1 who ordered it. We'll definitely keep it in the rotation.Special Features:
- Entrees were good, but nothing elseOMsODined on 9/25/2014I asked the waiter to point to out a rose for us, but of course he couldn't find it either. He had to go back and ask the manager. He came back and again after two minutes of looking found the one rose by the glass. We ordered shrimp cocktails to start and Caesar salads. Shrimp tasted frozen and the Caesar was drenched to the point that I wanted to send it back. I should have because the small salad with my main course was also drenched. I ordered the crab cakes and my colleague ordered the scallops. They were actually pretty good. The waiter of course forgot our side of collard greens. Told him to forget it when he offered to place the order after our entrees were served. Food and service was ok. I will not return.
- Still delightful!!!Essjay05Dined on 9/23/2014Recently selected DC Coast for a spur of the moment Tuesday night business dinner for five. What a great decision! Service was impeccable, crowd was light and food was superb!! The red velvet brownie is ridiculously delicious. I think I'll be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't go backglutenfreehsjDined on 9/18/2014Went for dinner, I had the Coast to Coast tasting. Course 1: half a cup of oyster stew, great. Course 2: crab cake, great Course 3: Rockfish with creamed spinach and over cooked finger potatoes with gravy... terrible!!!! Flavors were gross together. Course 4: mason jar of melted sundae (Ihave had a better sundae from McDonalds for a buck). Oh, and the waiter was WAY too chatty. Hey buddy, I am here to eat, not hear your personal philosophies on education. Ugh, do not recommend!
- SimplyVDined on 9/14/2014Great place to hang out with friends. Food was very good and a great friendly staff. I would recommend this restaurant to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slowwww.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014everything was great except the pace of service. it took forever...
- Boring and safedecentseafoodforMSPVIPDined on 9/13/2014This place was stale. Did the tasting menu and the food wasn't bad, but it was NOT exciting. Time to get a new chef and steps things up unless you're just catering to every 80 year old in a suit that walks in the door.Special Features:
- KikiDined on 9/8/2014Very good food and service. Great bar service. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting great seafoodSpecial Features:
- Frequent CustomerswmboVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our Nth visit to DC Coast. It continues to be our go-to restaurant for out of town guests, close friends and 'just us' meals. Beginning with the friendly bartender who clearly loves the place and promotes their other properties, to the patient wait staff who rarely roll their eyes at our failure to look at the menu until their 3rd attempt to take our order, we are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great service Ok FoodConferenceTravellerDined on 9/5/2014The service was great and server we had was very friendly and helpful. Food was ok, although over seasoned and very salty.
- Love this place!EhpasmalVIPDined on 9/5/2014I absolutely adore this place. We go here frequently for lunch and I can't speak highly enough about it. I have not had anything on their menu (or their specials) that wasn't delicious! The staff is fantastic- I had the soft shell crab po'boy one day with sweet potato fries and I asked for bbq sauce (I always do this with sweet potato fries, call me weird) and the waiter went into their staff fridge to find me bbq sauce because they don't generally have any otherwise. He was a complete doll about it! Another waiter spoke five languages- which was great, as he spoke italian with me, tagalog with my phillipino coworker, etc. Very charming! It's never crazy for lunch and we love it!Special Features:
- excellent fishDenSVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went on a Saturday night, and had little time prior to a show at 7:30PM.... We had salmon, and it was excellent.... the salad and the dressing was also superb.. Desert was taken from another menu (peach cobbler) and it was actually not good.... but many other deserts were available, but they seemed over the top and we were running out of time.... the service was also tops.... they helped us with a cab... Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!foodietouristDined on 8/23/2014We had a great experience at DC Coast. The food was wonderful (we both had the Lobster Stir-Fry) and the waitress was extremely friendly and helpful. The only thing bad I can say is the woman working the entrance was not very friendly. Everything else was superb.Special Features:
- First timemcgwuireVIPDined on 8/22/2014First time to DC Coast. Our server's shift ended in the middle of our dinner and it was obvious. I paid my way through college waiting tables for nine years and from my perspective service was bad. Appetizer's were really good. My dates meal was excellent, mine (fish of the day) was bland and dry. The dessert was terrible, red velvet brownie; it tasted like something that just came out of the freezer and literally had no flavor. I would go back to DC Coast and give it a second try because I believe we just caught them on a bad night.Special Features:
- Best seafood in DcSmiledrDined on 8/21/2014This is not only the best seafood in DC but the service is outstanding. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- CJCHKHVIPDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I were very disappointed. Way overpriced food, service by the waiter non existent ( we did not see our waiter between the time we ordered and the time we chased her down for the bill), 8$ for water service( we got one glass each). Do yourself a favour and don't be tricked by the tourist guides. They got this one wrong.
- Great spotDefNotAFoodieDined on 8/19/2014Great menu with healthy seafood options. Knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the "Southern fusion"ParisianDined on 8/17/2014The elegance and comfort of the restaraunt certainly enhanced the dining experience. The service was professional. The food was as good as any can be found. I loved the "Southern Fusion" of sophisticated choices using traditional southern dishes such as Collard Greens and Succotash. I think it is a perfect restaraunt for a special ocassion or for entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so happy to returnWilltvl4greatfoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just moved back to DC and this was our first revisit in many years.......service and food were still amazing. Fish of the day was prepared with lovely expertise by the chef..... Glad to have this in our area Great for seafoodSpecial Features:
- Fab for restaurant week priceDaleDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, largest cobb salad I ever had & artic char was superbly skin charred.Special Features: