210 E. 58th St.
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (212) 355-7555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday –Thursday: 11:30am - 2:45pm, Friday – Saturday: 11:30am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:45pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm, Sunday: 5:30pm – 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Madhur Jaffrey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Dawat
Dawat is a fine north Indian restaurant that also serves a couple of south Indian dishes as well. Located in Midtown East, Dawat is one of Manhattan’s finest Indian restaurantsContinued
that serves an eclectic array of interesting dishes.
that serves an eclectic array of interesting dishes.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dawat reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (5)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/8/2014The food was good not great, there are much better restaurants in the city. The portions are small, and we were there with a party of 8 and the waiter added on extra items we did not request- and gave 2 portions. Over priced.
- LillyDined on 10/23/2014I had high hopes going in, since this restaurant was recommended by a colleague. I was looking forward to having dinner. The atmosphere of the restaurant was friendly and seemed suited for families and couples. The level of service was not up to par, though. We waited for more than 50 minutes for our food, when we were told by another waiter, the waiter we had originally, forgot to put in our order, but the food would come out soon. Our former waiter did apologize eventually and said our drinks would be on the house, but it was too little too late. When the food finally arrived, it was tasty, however we were very disappointed in the service.Special Features:
- Dawat's HappeningNYVisit2013Dined on 10/23/2014Dawat has great food! It's cuisine is authentically Indian and spiced to your request. The service is reasonable but not as snappy as it could be. I would recommend it to those who love Indian food or are up to experimenting.Special Features:
- A real gem,ZippyDined on 10/21/2014We have made it a point for the last 20 years that Dawat is definitely included in our dinner plans when we come to NYC (at least 2 or 3times a year)Special Features:
- Tried & True Indian Comfort FoodGinyaDecDined on 10/20/2014Nothing beats Dawat for excellent Indian comfort food on the Upper East Side where these places seem to have disappeared. Meat and fish in the curries are all of top quality and service most attentive and relaxing. The nan breads are freshly baked and flavorful and Tandoori oven produces juicy chicken. Cold beer hits the spot!Special Features:
- MacDougDined on 10/17/2014Been several times over the last 5+ years, but this was the best yet - cornish green chili chicken was AWESOMESpecial Features:
- Favorite Indian restaurantNYDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014I have not been disappointed after many lunches and dinners here. The food is perfectly prepared. The service is attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- group feastXLR8ERDined on 10/14/2014Our party of 5 visited DAWAT on 10/14. We were treated to a magnificent feast of fine Indian cuisine from start to finish. Our server reccomended the complete meal sampler and we went for the $75.00 pp option. It was more than great; it was super delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent curry, but overpricedFaintgirlDined on 10/6/2014I eat a lot of curry, and the offerings at Dawat were fine, but not exceptional. Considering the price I really expected more. We were surprised to find that when we ordered tea after the meal, we were poured one measly cup for $3.50, and the teapots were taken away so we couldn't pour more. The service was adequate but the atmosphere was very serious, and we didn't really feel at ease.
- ExcellentMikeDined on 10/1/2014Food, service, and ambiance are all very good. Have dined there annually for a number of years to celebrate a family birthday and quality has been consistent over time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!lazzaroVIPDined on 9/23/2014Attentive and non intrusive staff. Very nice space, without being oevrdone. Excellent food. Top quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellentdehillerinVIPDined on 9/19/2014Tried and true! We return again and again for a varied menu and a fine kitchen.Special Features:
- High-quality Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/6/2014I've eaten here a half-dozen times and am always impressed with the quality and the variety of the food. Often, Indian food can come from a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that is crammed and loud. Though the decor is dated, it is a classier experience, and even has some very good wines for pairing.
- our favorite indian rest in nycdca1125VIPDined on 9/5/2014We've been coming for 20+ years and love the place............and I don't have to shower off the aroma of spices in my hair when I get homeSpecial Features:
- ehhh....its whateverzmunnieVIPDined on 9/4/2014My bf and i were visiting from WI. We googled and yelped indian options. This came up. We went...it was hot outside and it was as if the restaurant didnt want to pay for AC! 2nd, the male servers were not very attentive to me as a female, but to my bf they answered all his inquires. 3rd, the rice was $8!!! Literally costs them 50 cents to buy/make. Thats outrageous. Waiter didnt even tell us rice wasn't included! The wet rag to "wash" hands after left a dank stench on our hands.
- I love Dawat!SailChicagoVIPDined on 8/3/2014I am so happy that this place is around the corner from our relatives in NYC. The chef's special dishes are great. They are able to accommodate us every time - vegetarian kids who need their food on the milder side, kosher husband, and me - the omnivore. The thali is a great option when you just can't decide what to order. They will spice up or down for you. And the tandoori lamb is incredible - I was a little reluctant to try it because I prefer my lamb cooked to rare, but it was incredibly tender and flavorful - it's on my list to order again!Special Features:
- The following 427 reviews are from the Dawat reviews archive.
- DisappointingKSIBVIPDined on 7/22/2014We have eaten many times at Dawat over the past 10 years, and in the past have always been pleased. This time was our first visit in several years, and the food was not as we had remembered it. It was not "bad," but different, even strange, as if there had been a change in the chef and thus in the recipes.
- superb dining experienceScoobyathhDined on 7/22/2014We have enjoyed dining at Dawat many times. The finest Indian food we have ever had...I also recommend the coconut ice cream!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellentdehillerinVIPDined on 7/19/2014Reliable and faithful to its founder's broad knowledge and skill. Always a pleasure! How long has Dawat been in business? Long enough to have slipped (and fallen) more than once. But it has avoided this and retains its stature among the city's Indian establishments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favorite indian rest in nycdca1125VIPDined on 7/16/2014Food, staff, decor and attitude is best for Indian in NY. We've been clients for more than 20 years and keep coming backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointingaschDined on 7/16/2014I have been eating at Dawat for many years and while the prices were a bit higher than other Indian restaurants, the food and ambiance were worth the extra cost. This last dinner was not as good as it has been in the past. Food was just ok and a bit disappointingSpecial Features:
- Punjabi Richness Reins throughChippyVIPDined on 6/30/2014Food was excellent - some of the best Indian food we've ever had. Waiters are friendly and very forward.. They will keep pouring and pouring the beers until you scream uncle.. Yes, they are aggressive, upselling items on the menu.. The first minute we arrived and sat down we had agreed to sparking water, a mango lassi for my son and a chicken kabob appetizer.. All in all they had good intentions and we were well taken care of.. Take it in stride and enjoy the experience it's the way things are done in India..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2014The attentive staff recommends and keeps bringing terrific Indian Food. Just try it.Special Features:
- Generally, a neighborhood gemLouiseVIPDined on 6/27/2014Delicious food, pleasant discreet service, no rush . . . these have been the characteristics my friend and I have become accustomed to at Dawat. On this last occasion, however, everything seemed a bit off causing us to wonder if management had changed. It has given us so much pleasure for so many years, I think it's worth another try because. . .when it's good, it's absolutely great!Special Features:
- Very AccommodatingPRHostDined on 6/22/2014This is one of our favorite places and the food is consistently great. Perhaps the best Indian cuisine. Also pleased with the help from maître d' Vicky and his response to a special seating request from a last minute guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its a little too stuffy and formalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014I like the food, but having waiters hanging out around you constantly taking plates off of the table is annoying. Also, the food that is supposed to be spicy wasn't.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteNYDinerVIPDined on 6/12/2014The food is fresh and tasty. The service is attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Classic Indian FoodJafleming3Dined on 6/9/2014Perennially excellent over many, many years , this time was no different, except my lamb chunks had big pieces of gristle and the dessert (rashmali) had a slight off-taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative food, lovely ambienceAimeeDined on 6/2/2014Dawat's menu had the classic Indian dishes you'd hope to see, as well as innovative dishes I'd never seen (but were delicious!), and a wide array of options and extensive list of specials. We very much enjoyed the wonderful service, thoughtful recommendations, the sweet corner booth table they gave us, and the quiet, elegant atmosphere. I highly recommend Dawat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable favoriteNYDinerVIPDined on 5/19/2014Dawat is a reliable place to go for a business lunch. The food is very good at a reasonable price. The service is attentive and the ambiance is conducive to a business lunch.Special Features:
- Reservation for OneRwingsDined on 5/17/2014This is one of the few NYC restaurants that will take a reservation for one in the early dinner hour of a Saturday night. While I have dined here quite a few times over the past 10 years, this experience, while good, was not as good as I had remembered. My lamb appetizer was tender and flavorful, but my shrimp dish was overcooked and while it had a bit of heat, the rest of the spice mixture in the sauce was one-note and bland. I could barely smell or taste the lemon in the lemon rice. Most Indian restaurants include plain steamed basmati rice with entrees, but here even that was a la carte, requiring an extra charge. I'll look for another restaurant that takes a reservation for one next time.Special Features:
- Decent IndianReginaReadsVIPDined on 5/11/2014Having been to Dawat many years ago on a trip to NYC, we decided to go back again on our latest visit. The dining room was occupied by about 10 tables. Since it was Mother's Day, it is possible that most of the crowds were there early. There was a special dinner menu as well as the regular fare. My husband ordered the special that was a full course splay for about $35. I had the lamb vindiloo and an order of raita and samosas to start. The samosas were a bit disappointing in that the wrapper was tough, almost like they had been reheated in a microwave instead of being made fresh. The vindiloo was adequately spicy, the lamb tender. The spinach soup that came with the special was a bit thin, but he enjoyed the rest of the dinner.Special Features:
- Indian at Another LevelLen321Dined on 5/9/2014You wouldn't call Dawat hip, or a hot spot. It feels established, even a touch old, like its neighborhood. And when the food comes, it looks like the Indian food you know -- no showy nouvelle cuisine pirouettes. But then you bite in and realize that you're in the hands of people who are at the top of their field. The sauces have a richness of flavor that is truly striking, that you just don't get in standard Indian fare. Particular stand-outs: Bhuni Gobi (Cauliflower); Chicken Tikka Masala (better than you've ever had it) and Kashmiri-style chicken Korma (with an incredible cinammon flavor that creeps up on you.) Oh and the tables are spaced far apart. You can actually hear each other! How old-fashioned! What a treat!Special Features:
- Excellent Northern Indian foodLordJeffrey2Dined on 4/28/2014Far from being a curry joint, this elegant East Sider offers some of the best Indian food I have eaten outside of London and India itself. The staff is attentive and helpful without hovering. The portions are relatively small, and the prices are not, but they are well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still got it !MarksViewDined on 4/26/2014Madhur Jeffrey's classic restaurant maintains it extensive menu and quality as it has for decades.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable favoriteNYDinerVIPDined on 4/9/2014Lunch with business associates or just alone to unwind is always a pleasurable break from the work day. The service is welcoming and efficient and the food never fails to please. I always feel both satisfied and reinvigorated after having a midday break at this neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ExperiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014I brought in a group of people (6) from spain two of whom had never had Indian food before. Dawat provided a good introduction. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Best Indian food I've had in NYCJoe1Dined on 3/22/2014Both the standards and the less often encountered Fos were delicious, service fine but not excessive nor too "friendly" Atmosphere ok but not special Will certainly return oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious quiet mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014Lovely presentation of delectable Indian food with confident service in a quiet atmosphere. Reasonable prices. We talked after the meal for several hours without being rushed out on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of IndiaPampVIPDined on 2/18/2014Extensive menu with excellent descriptions-- very helpful to someone who doesn't often eat Indian food. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.