Davis Street Tavern
500 NW Davis Street
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Old Town / Chinatown
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
Davis Street Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davisstreettavern.com/
- Phone: 5035055050x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 11:30am- 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Christopher Handford
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of 12 to 200, Davis Street Tavern is available for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Handford 503-505-5050x
- Special Events: With over 3,500 square feet available and 3 separate dining areas, Davis Street Tavern is available to host your next special event for up to 250 people.
A word from Davis Street Tavern
Enjoy fine dining in a modern tavern atmosphere. Inspired Northwest cuisine is served in a historic Portland landmark. High ceilings showcase the massive Doug Fir beams, walnut floors and original brickwork. A full bar and over 100 selections of wine focusing on Northwest producers, showcases the bounty the Northwest has to offer. Three distinct dining areas offers guests a quiet dining experience in the main dining room or livelier setting in the tavern. Located in the heart of Old Town, Davis Street Tavern is an essential Portland experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Davis Street Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great meal!Luv2cookDined on 10/18/2014We would definitely go back. Sad that the whole place wasn't filled. But the food was delicious. We will go back.Special Features:
- Food was big!CeraDined on 10/9/2014I got such a giant portion of foor I have dinner for that night too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic Neighbourhood RestaurantKarenDined on 9/19/2014We chose it at random being new to Portland. Food and service were above average. Our server even took good photos. We would visit it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice!ReaderDined on 9/13/2014We really enjoyed our dinner....it would be noisy if crowded but we were early and it was pleasant...short menu but a wide enough variety satisfy just about anyone in a group. Pricy wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Watermelon GazpochoTheExperienceofFoodDined on 8/28/2014The service and food at Davis Street Tavern is always fantastic. We are never disappointed with the meals and new innovative dishes they offer up. This last visit introduced us to Watermelon Gazpocho and it became a new favorite of ours with one sampling!Special Features:
- There are servers????StevenDined on 8/23/2014Our server took our order and then clocked out. She did not inform us she was leaving but we definitely watched her walk out the door. Our other server continued to walk by our table and look at us but do nothing. We waited 40 minutes to receive our check without a refill of our drinks or a courteous check in. Price of food is high for what you receive. Little to no flavor on our selection. Also, do not order the Cesar salad unless you want an intact heart of romaine that you must cut yourself.
- BillDined on 8/21/2014Food was fair at best as veges were overcooked and asparagus limp.Strip steak cane out as a filet.Noise level was good so it was easy to visit.Thursday night and not too full,so that was good.I see no reason to go back.....too many other choices in PDX
- Interesting little placeJJaeBDined on 8/7/2014Happy hour has a small menu or interesting food and drinks. Fun and tasty twists on bar classics. Make a reservation though, because it is a small place. Drinks menu has different interpretations of old standards. Few beer choices comparatively, but nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of flavorsTGF58VIPDined on 8/5/2014Three work colleagues tried this restaurant this week and were seated in the bar area (probably not expecting a crowd). Our server showed not even an inclination of a smile and the food had very mild to no flavor - spring vegetable risotto and chicken breast entrees. As the evening moved on, the restaurant got busier but for me, it's not a do over.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Love the atmosphere and chill music. Craft beers on the menu are good, but list is short. Lamb burger description was better than the burger, which was overly charred and cooked beyond specification.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very slow lunchTomageDined on 7/24/2014I have had lunch here a number of times but for whatever reason today was really slow. We were a lunch party of 5 sitting in the back area.Special Features:
- Quality Food & Friendly ServiceKabritoDined on 6/30/2014Nice early dinner experience with solid friendly service. While food was good nothing in particular jumped out as "to die for" or inspired. The steak was essentially unremarkable and needed sauce, which our waiter courteously brought. The cocktails were excellent carefully crafted here and wine selection adequate. I would recommend this Davis Tavern. We will dine here again and choose differently from menu.Special Features:
- The following 357 reviews are from the Davis Street Tavern reviews archive.
- Good food good serviceAnElementalDined on 6/23/2014A group of 15 went for lunch and requested that we sit together (some places separate you out). Davis St had our long table set up and we were all very comfortable. The service was very good.Special Features:
- BobCDined on 6/13/2014Lack of reasonable parking would make me think twice about returning, as would the restaurant's not giving me Open Table credit for my visit. Regan was an excellent server,thank you,Regan.Special Features:
- ExcellentTJDaileyDined on 6/7/2014Overall, I was very happy with my experience. The food and drinks were delicious. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmmmm..OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2014I booked this reservation for a birthday party group based on a prior dining experience I had with my husband. We arrived and were seated fairly quickly, but that's where the service faltered. It took about 20 minutes to order our drinks and almost an hour for our food. Recognizing it was a busy night, our waitress seemed unenthused and almost put out. After eating, we actually had to stand up to prompt the check. We would have ordered dessert, but the dinner took so long (about 2 1/2 hours) we decided to pay and leave. Mac and cheese is pretty good and the sandwiches (pulled pork and lamb burger) were tasty.Special Features:
- scottiedougDined on 5/30/2014We returned to Davis Street Tavern after discovering it four years ago on a previous visit to Portland. It was as good as we remembered! Drink and food selections and preparations are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014We received excellent service and enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a pinch w/ a group dinnerPortlandlocalDined on 5/19/2014I messed up the date of my initial reservation for a party of 14 and instead showed up the next night w/ a party of 16. They did a terrific job of accommodating us (including setting us up w/ a private area). Everyone enjoyed the food and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Best place in old town!PrimeredDined on 5/16/2014Davis St. Is an excellent Locale for a sophisticated drink and delicious bites or a full dinner. They do close early so don't look for it to be an after party spot.. This is an excellent spring board from down town on your way out for the evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was tasteless!JudibyDined on 4/26/2014The restaurant has great ambiance and the waitstaff and hostess were wonderful. We were early for our reservation, but they kindly, and without fuss, found us a table for four. I've really enjoyed meals at other upscale "taverns" and looked forward to my dinner. However, everything we had was tasteless because the chef doesn't know how to season food correctly. A little salt and pepper can go a long way. We all agreed that the only thing worth eating were the oysters on the half shell - no seasoning needed there. As much as I liked the place and staff, I was very disappointed and will not return - except maybe for a drink.Special Features:
- Just what a tavern should be!curwenVIPDined on 4/25/2014We ate before the theater and the place was fairly full with Happy Hour folks enjoying themselves - a really good atmosphere. Good beers and cocktails and a reasonable menu. My only slight negative was that the Angus beef burger won't in my top ten burger list - a little shapeless and tasteless. On the other hand, if you have the Tempura Fried Cauliflower as a starter you probably wont need a main - lots and it tasted wonderful. Definitely a place to revisit, a good place to go if you're downtown and want a feel-good beer/snack/meal. And it's right next to a MAX stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food in a wonderful spaceSilpherDined on 4/19/2014I brought about 16 people to the Davis Street Tavern upon the recommendation of a couple people in our group. Everything was fantastic and we had the whole back room to ourselves, which was good as we were pretty loud. Excellent appetizers, drinks and the steak was incredible. Definitely coming back. Often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/18/2014We had a reservation for 8 on a Friday afternoon... there was only one other party dining in the restaurant at the time. We were seated and given menus... then we sat for almost 15 minutes with no service. How embarrassing. We were having a business lunch & I recommended Davis Street Tavern based on the reviews. Every one at the table agreed that we should leave and spend our money some where else! Would not go here again!
- Lunch at David Street TavernLizRLDined on 4/11/2014Met a friend there for lunch. Neat place. It was quiet - I hope they stay in business! Our food was good and/but there were lots of other things on the menu I'd like to try, so I'll definitely go back. Might even try it for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatSandymacDined on 4/4/2014We've been to your restaurant several times with friends for Happy Hour in the past. This time, we found ourselves taken to the back room where it was dark and given a table which was too large for any intimate conversations. We love the front area, and expected to be seated there, especially since we had made a reservation well in advance. We came this time to enjoy a dinner instead of Happy Hour drinks and food. We were not disappointed with the food or the service - both were excellent; however, our party of five remarked later that the size of the table prevented any lively discourse, except with the person next to us - a major disappointment! There were tables we could have sat at in the front - why did you put us in the dungeon?I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went forChis10kDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I went for the March dining month and tried everything they were featuring! There wasn't one thing that we would have changed! Salad, oysters, dinner and dessert were all above par!Special Features:
- On the fence.NateDined on 3/28/2014Service was efficient but could have been a little friendlier. Unfortunately the food quality was a bit uneven. I liked the flavors that the chef was working with and a few of the things I tasted were surprisingly inventive, but over half of the items I had were badly under seasoned which really threw things off. I wanted to like it more, and I think there is some talent somewhere in the kitchen, but they need to step up their game because the competition in this city is just too good.Special Features:
- A new find in China townluvbeerDined on 3/25/2014Thanks to Dine out Month we found the Davis Street tavern. The happy hour menu and the beer list had lots of choices. The servers were friendly and very efficient. The mussels were excellent and the steak frites were tasty. Definitely a spot we will return to when we are downtown.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally tried Davis Street TavernSammykDined on 3/21/2014We finally tried Davis Street Tavern and we were not disappointed. We went for Portland dining month and are already making plans to go back for our anniversary. The mussels were sublime; steak frites were great; the pulled pork sandwich was delicious (although a little more pork on the bun would be nice); and the bread pudding for dessert was a perfect ending. The service was spot on - very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 16BillDined on 3/14/2014We had a party of 16, we were seated right away, but the server broke us up into 2 tables (we were all against the back wall, we just had a area that folks could get in and out of in the middle) so 1/2 of the group was served first and the second half was served AFTER the first group had finished their meal. The server apologized and I asked to speak with the manager who also apologized and offered the group free desert. Some folks thought the meal was fine, but one of the kids ordered a burger and the meat was way undercooked, another adult ordered mussels and they came out dry and rubbery tasting. I ordered the Cod, it was fresh and tasty, but the portion was small. I will visit this restaurant again, but not with a large group.Special Features:
- Great food and service. Haddirkman42Dined on 2/28/2014Great food and service. Had a really good meal here.Special Features:
- YOUR NEW PLACETansyweedDined on 2/24/2014Turn this place into YOUR regular spot. The crowds have thin downed a bit, which lets you luxuriate in the stark beauty of the room, the minimalist platings of great new classics, and a bar that is under rated. Service is almost at Higgins level. Go.With close friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Velvet-liciousCeraDined on 2/19/2014I had the Mac, it's claimed to be velvety, they got it right, delicious! The chicken was also juicy and prepared perfect. You can never go wrong with a group of friends and a bottle of wine, we could have had one each. Loved the Pinot noir we ordered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOliviaDined on 2/14/2014I went with my dad for valentines day, it was much better than expected! The mac and cheese was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I would most definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014Bad They called to confirm my reservation 4 times in 4 days at all times of the day, When we arrived they asked if it was okay that they had to split the party into two tables ( I had reservations for a party of 20 so i couldn't say no),The risotto was blan,I made Birthday reservations and they were well aware of that and had nothing not even a happy birthday from our waitress. Good I had to make my reservation for 20 with only 5 days notice (no where else could),The place is gorgeous,The crab bisque, Lamb burger, clams, and drinks were all wonderful,The server was always attentive and polite,At the end of the night our waitress split the tabs even though we had a party of 20 and its against their policySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchGorgegalDined on 1/18/2014Great place for our group to meet for birthday lunch. We were looking for a casual yet special place with burgers and such. They had an interesting menu and everything we ordered was good. We brought in a cake and they did not charge us to serve it. It was surprisingly quiet at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/13/2014The server lacked basic knowledge of what was in dishes and was far too casual for an upscale restaurant. Very disappointing overall.Special Features:
- Great food and drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/3/2014What a great find! The mixologist was wonderful! Very inventive drinks and food! Will definitely be back! Don't know why it wasn't packed at 7:00 pm on a Friday night! People are really missing out on a great dining experience! You should go now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Milk braised pork; one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Milk braised pork; one of the most delicious pork dishes ever. Beautiful interior, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.