22 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.davidsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (207) 773-4340
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Mon. - Fri.3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Turin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off premise catering is offered on a limited basis, generally for regular guests by request only. Because of this limit, every party is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 30. We do offer the whole restaurant for private events as well.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Smith 2077734340
- Cross Street: Preble Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We recommend that our guests park in the adjacent Monument Square parking garage, or the Free Street lot, which is immediately adjacent to it on Free Street. The Elm Street Garage, across from the Public Library is also available and within easy walking distance and the Public Market garage is located behind the library across the street from the restaurant. Most people are able to find street parking if they drive around for a minute or two.
A word from David's Restaurant
Located at the foot of Portland’s arts district on Monument square, Portland ME David Turin, Chef / Owner moved David’s to this historic location in 1998. The restaurant is a tastefully and creatively decorated update to the “Great Fire” surviving building which housed the presses for The Portland Telegram Newspaper at the turn of the century. The open kitchen allows diners to watch the creation of meals which feature the bounty of regional resources prepared without culinary boundaries. David’s cuisine has one foot in tradition and another in the contemporary influences of many of the world’s great cuisines. The New York Times … “an intelligent hand in the kitchen of the sort you would find in better New York restaurants for half as much.. The Portland Press Herald… “This restaurant is doing amazing things and at the same time keeping prices reasonable- Four and a Half Stars!” Portland Magazine … “Truly a spectacular meal” “Best of New England 2008” – New England Travel MaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
David's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
David's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (50)romantic (37)notable wine list (31)hot spot (30)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (16)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- First classPerrymaineDined on 11/20/2014Third time dining at Dvids and will be back. Wonderful service,excellent presentation, best tasting food around. Had duck diner last night and just mouth watering diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014First time visit for dinner on Thursday,11/20/14. Although near first there, I was seated in the rear. Not a bad spot but my wobbly table and adjacent tables filled with glassware and replacement dishes for other tables was not inviting. Selected the "pepper crusted sushi rare tuna" for dinner. Very good tuna seared perfectly with an interesting onion "birds nest" and unexpected wasabi and ginger condiments a plus. Service was quick and attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; a bit of trouble with seatingAnOccasionalDinerDined on 11/19/2014This was our second visit to David's, and as before the food was outstanding. The pizzas are special, and everything else is too! Once we got to the table, the service was very good, but it was a bit bothersome that we couldn't be seated until 20 minutes after the time of our reservation, there is no place inside to wait, and it was freezing outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Visit. Food just as fantastic as first.SecondVisitDined on 11/14/2014This is our second visit to David's. The first was an anniversary. This was to introduce friends. Amazing food and service. Will definitely return. Couple with us were also involved with food service. As such, we are typically critical of our environment, food and service. At David's we have experienced top quality food and service on both visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as always.PickyEaterDined on 11/12/2014We always enjoy eating at David's. The food and service are outstanding. The only only complaint is that it was very hot in there that evening, but they opened the door and it cooled down a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's is a local favoritefishndocDined on 11/10/2014We have been going for several years now. We are fortunate that it is a short walk from where we live. I have my favorites but try new things and am never disappointed. Congrats to David for his recent recognition in NYC!Special Features:
- Amazing foodCourtyDined on 11/7/2014Food and service was amazing! But it was very cramped and very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food is excellent! Little crowded but excellent service.Special Features:
- Another great mealMaristcamperDined on 11/3/2014I was with a large group, and David's was the perfect spot to gather. Excellent food and many choices: you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatouterDined on 10/31/2014Food as always was terrific. Kind of noisy, service was good but I felt a little rushed (we had an early reservation and I felt like they were trying to hurry us out of there). Our table was in the front section which is more crowded and noisy than the back. Get a table in the back if you can. Nonetheless, overall an enjoyable place to eat. I recommend the tuna tartar appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentPseudoGirlDined on 10/29/2014great restaurant. had the seared tuna and it was perfect. will go back, try more items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around winnerEnjoyableDined on 10/25/2014We have been going to this davids for 10 years and it is always our go to place when we have a chance to go out for a nice meal. Always great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An overall enjoyable eveninglucyleepDined on 10/24/2014Other than the poor location of out table (near the kitchen and server traffic), an old friend and I enjoyed our experience at David's. There were a few excellent vegan items on the menu and many other tempting options. Attentive service and a central downtown location. I'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014We had the Asian pot stickers and the pepper crusted rare tuna and everything was excellent!! Would highly recommend this restaurant to a friend!! Lemon Drop martini was not on your specialty drink menu so I asked the server if it was available and it was-also excellent! Thank you for a great meal. (My husband & I were there for dinner on a Thursday night, so I can't comment on lunch or brunch.)Special Features:
- SucculentGoliathDined on 10/18/2014We don't really ever dine out at the more upscale restaurants but when we do it's usually at David's !! David's Is truly an awesome place to eat! The chefs there perform there own culinary magic! Simply a local culinary landmark !Special Features:
- Excellent!BarbaraLDined on 10/18/2014We chose this place randomly from list provided by OpenTable. What a great surprise....we added it to our "must return" list of Prortland restaurants. Food was amazing....mixed grill, pork tenderloin and specialty pizza were all great.Special Features:
- Perfect Evening of Food DelightsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014The food and service was outstanding. All three courses were excellent. The Duck was perfectly prepared with a wonderful presentation. the Salmon was one of the best Salmon dishes I have had. Very fresh, perfectly prepared. The Berry Crisp was excellent. The service matched the quality of the food.......... You need to go back multiple times to try many items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's Needs a Better SpaceglobalnomadDined on 10/17/2014David's food and service are very good, & the prices are certainly reasonable for the quality of the wine, food & cooking. One cocktail was too sweet (Cosmo), while the other was fine (standard martini) - the oysters were excellent. Wine by the glass was nice, but nothing really outstanding. Main courses were delicious (meat & fish prepared well & sauces bright and pleasing to the palate), but could have been served with better sides (stuffing some asparagus through a hole in a squash is not exactly pretty or inventive nor tasty). What was really the problem was the space. We were seated like in a runway with servers rushing back and forth to the kitchen & bar. Everyone was very nice, but we felt rushed.
- DebbieDined on 10/12/2014David's is reliable and friendly. Food is good, nice wine list and bar. Casual.Special Features:
- Tasty food, but....knittahDined on 10/11/2014We arrived for our 8:30 reservation and were originally seated at a tall two-top which was squished between another table of diners and the bar. Twice, a diner had to get up to let me out. When a couple of seats at the adjacent (and I mean adjacent) bar opened up, we asked if we could eat there instead. No problem -- the bartender was very accommodating and said that happened a lot with that table. My advice: get rid of the table and turn the stools around to the bar where they belong! Cocktails were good and reasonably priced. Food was tasty, but portions were quite small for the price. My salmon was half the size that I usually get when dining out. preferred David's 88 (?) last year in Cape Elizabeth, of same owner.Special Features:
- Great 1st time experienceRossLovesPortlandDined on 10/11/2014Being new to the area - we had heard great things about David's and were not disappointed. (Our food was fantastic) The activity & cozy atmosphere were very attractive to us. Our server was wonderful as well. I can't wait t try the chef's table next time!Special Features:
- David'sRussDined on 10/11/2014Had a wonderful time - Food, service and environment were great! Will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- ok, not greatEmellaDined on 10/11/2014Our dinner was fine but not up to the standards we've come to expect from David's. The filet special was indeed special. Absolutely flawless. The 2 entrees from the regular menu were just ok. The shrimp and scallop skewer was marginal at best.. The coating was too thick, too peppery and none of us liked it. The Portland steak served with the skewer was tough and disappointing. Service was very good. Drinks exactly as expected. We've eaten at this David's at least half a dozen times and have always had memorable meals. We'll be back to try it again ... everyone has an off night now and again.Special Features:
- In town for the marathon and Wow!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014In town for the Maine marathon and wanted a great meal. I was so happy we picked David's! The service was incredible, we loved our server! The apps of beet salad, and the chowder and Cajun cocktail shrimp were sooo incredible! The entrees of lobster dinner and the filet special were exquisite! The cocktail and wine selections were diverse and yummy as well as the port menu. To top off my experience, our server saw us the the next day, after the marathon eating al fresco with our Labrador in tow. She went out of her way to say hello, pet our baby, and thank us for coming to David's! I will be back and so will everyone I can possibly send there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014I was disappointed. The lobster seemed to be frozen, there was almost no taste, and the croissant seemed stale.
- Excellent FoodnotaconnoisseurDined on 9/30/2014Food was outstanding. Excellent bar and wine list. Great service (we sat at the bar). Steep prices. Noise level too high.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Had a reservation, was set on top of the chefs, excessively loud clanging dishes was not what I had hoped for. expired gift certificate..really . Have been going to David's for years, this was not one of their finest. Not sure I would go back. I would not call the noise energetic!Special Features:
- A gem in Portland, MekringleDined on 9/27/2014I have been to David's many times. The food is consistently exceptional. I also like it because there is a parking garage near by, and it is close to the Merrill Auditorium with its great organ concerts and the art museum down the street. When it is filled, however, the noise is so bad you can hardly have a conversation. Best to go on an offhour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againDblancDined on 9/26/2014Stopped in for dinner before Portland stage. Sixth or seventh time dining there and was excellent again Great service food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's was a great surpriseTexasfoodiesDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I have gone to Portland for business/vacation the last 4 years and had never been to David's but had been to several other upscale restaurants in Old Port. David's food and service rivaled the others. We loved the food and the atmosphere and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Food is always great...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014David's in Monument Sq is in my opinion not the best atmosphere - unless you can get a seat out back. Menu and food is always great - probably would stick with one of the other locations.Special Features:
- A sure thing--always!ChakaDined on 9/19/2014I don't think I have ever been disappointed by a visit to David's. For a restaurant in its price range, the dishes are always of high quality, frequently intriguing, and never boring, and the service is unfailingly attentive and congenial. With its unbeatable location, it's one of the best restaurants around for consistently good food, good wine, and good company.Special Features:
- Great food, need more spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014The food here was excellent, it is just a shame that the tables and everything are crammed into such a small space.Special Features:
- AmazingsweetmmnnDined on 9/17/2014The food at Davids was rich and tastee. I had the seafood ravioli and that was to die for. My husband had the tuna meal which was fresh and exquisitely plated. Overall i would definitely go back. Great food, great priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencewinnmt1Dined on 9/15/2014Recently traveled with friends from California to Portland to explore the dining scene. Visited several restaurants over our three day visit; David's by far was the favorite of everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Jat7520Dined on 9/12/2014Our salads were amazing, followed by the swordfish special and filet. The entree presentations were beautiful. The bread was warm and delicious. Excellent wine and beer list. We will return for sure. David's is perfect for a special occasion celebration,Special Features:
- Garlic knots are worth the visitsaisabokDined on 9/6/2014Love the garlic knots they serve with the fresh bread. The meal was very nice, although three of us had steak and only one was cooked as requested. The meat was a bit tough as well. Otherwise, they plate things beautifully and the food is pricey but lovely.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding food and service. Pricey, so not an everyday haunt. I will go back for the food! Oh and drinks are made with love too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's with cousin.wouldlovetodinemoreDined on 9/4/2014We had a very enjoyable time. Restaurant was not too noisy and not too quiet. We took visiting family from Kansas. They both had the salmon special and proclaimed it the best they have had. The tuna tartare was phenomenal as was the Asian inspired duck. My wife went for the scallop special, she felt it was very good. Complaints though minimal would be on the ambiance side, tables are a little tight. I also felt a waitress could have been a little friendlier. She was attentive and efficient but all business, more like a high paced breakfast server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred GNightcapDined on 8/30/2014Arrived @ res time (8:00pm) & was informed lobster special was 'sold out'! Obviously disappointed but our server, Kim, recommend an alternate offering after confirming w/kitchen that special wasn't possible. Steamed whole lobster was very good as were appetizers & chowder; as a whole, the menu was basic and well prepared.Special Features: