22 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.davidsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 207-773-4340
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Mon. - Fri.3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Turin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off premise catering is offered on a limited basis, generally for regular guests by request only. Because of this limit, every party is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 30. We do offer the whole restaurant for private events as well.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Smith 2077734340
- Cross Street: Preble Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We recommend that our guests park in the adjacent Monument Square parking garage, or the Free Street lot, which is immediately adjacent to it on Free Street. The Elm Street Garage, across from the Public Library is also available and within easy walking distance and the Public Market garage is located behind the library across the street from the restaurant. Most people are able to find street parking if they drive around for a minute or two.
A word from David's Restaurant
Located at the foot of Portland’s arts district on Monument square, Portland ME David Turin, Chef / Owner moved David’s to this historic location in 1998. The restaurant is a tastefully and creatively decorated update to the “Great Fire” surviving building which housed the presses for The Portland Telegram Newspaper at the turn of the century. The open kitchen allows diners to watch the creation of meals which feature the bounty of regional resources prepared without culinary boundaries. David’s cuisine has one foot in tradition and another in the contemporary influences of many of the world’s great cuisines. The New York Times … “an intelligent hand in the kitchen of the sort you would find in better New York restaurants for half as much.. The Portland Press Herald… “This restaurant is doing amazing things and at the same time keeping prices reasonable- Four and a Half Stars!” Portland Magazine … “Truly a spectacular meal” “Best of New England 2008” – New England Travel MaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
David's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
David's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (52)romantic (35)notable wine list (30)hot spot (23)good for groups (22)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- David's Needs a Better SpaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014David's food and service are very good, & the prices are certainly reasonable for the quality of the wine, food & cooking. One cocktail was too sweet (Cosmo), while the other was fine (standard martini) - the oysters were excellent. Wine by the glass was nice, but nothing really outstanding. Main courses were delicious (meat & fish prepared well & sauces bright and pleasing to the palate), but could have been served with better sides (stuffing some asparagus through a hole in a squash is not exactly pretty or inventive nor tasty). What was really the problem was the space. We were seated like in a runway with servers rushing back and forth to the kitchen & bar. Everyone was very nice, but we felt rushed.
- DebbieDined on 10/12/2014David's is reliable and friendly. Food is good, nice wine list and bar. Casual.Special Features:
- Tasty food, but....knittahDined on 10/11/2014We arrived for our 8:30 reservation and were originally seated at a tall two-top which was squished between another table of diners and the bar. Twice, a diner had to get up to let me out. When a couple of seats at the adjacent (and I mean adjacent) bar opened up, we asked if we could eat there instead. No problem -- the bartender was very accommodating and said that happened a lot with that table. My advice: get rid of the table and turn the stools around to the bar where they belong! Cocktails were good and reasonably priced. Food was tasty, but portions were quite small for the price. My salmon was half the size that I usually get when dining out. preferred David's 88 (?) last year in Cape Elizabeth, of same owner.Special Features:
- Great 1st time experienceRossLovesPortlandDined on 10/11/2014Being new to the area - we had heard great things about David's and were not disappointed. (Our food was fantastic) The activity & cozy atmosphere were very attractive to us. Our server was wonderful as well. I can't wait t try the chef's table next time!Special Features:
- David'sRussDined on 10/11/2014Had a wonderful time - Food, service and environment were great! Will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- ok, not greatEmellaDined on 10/11/2014Our dinner was fine but not up to the standards we've come to expect from David's. The filet special was indeed special. Absolutely flawless. The 2 entrees from the regular menu were just ok. The shrimp and scallop skewer was marginal at best.. The coating was too thick, too peppery and none of us liked it. The Portland steak served with the skewer was tough and disappointing. Service was very good. Drinks exactly as expected. We've eaten at this David's at least half a dozen times and have always had memorable meals. We'll be back to try it again ... everyone has an off night now and again.Special Features:
- In town for the marathon and Wow!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014In town for the Maine marathon and wanted a great meal. I was so happy we picked David's! The service was incredible, we loved our server! The apps of beet salad, and the chowder and Cajun cocktail shrimp were sooo incredible! The entrees of lobster dinner and the filet special were exquisite! The cocktail and wine selections were diverse and yummy as well as the port menu. To top off my experience, our server saw us the the next day, after the marathon eating al fresco with our Labrador in tow. She went out of her way to say hello, pet our baby, and thank us for coming to David's! I will be back and so will everyone I can possibly send there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014I was disappointed. The lobster seemed to be frozen, there was almost no taste, and the croissant seemed stale.
- Excellent FoodnotaconnoisseurDined on 9/30/2014Food was outstanding. Excellent bar and wine list. Great service (we sat at the bar). Steep prices. Noise level too high.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Had a reservation, was set on top of the chefs, excessively loud clanging dishes was not what I had hoped for. expired gift certificate..really . Have been going to David's for years, this was not one of their finest. Not sure I would go back. I would not call the noise energetic!Special Features:
- A gem in Portland, MekringleDined on 9/27/2014I have been to David's many times. The food is consistently exceptional. I also like it because there is a parking garage near by, and it is close to the Merrill Auditorium with its great organ concerts and the art museum down the street. When it is filled, however, the noise is so bad you can hardly have a conversation. Best to go on an offhour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againDblancDined on 9/26/2014Stopped in for dinner before Portland stage. Sixth or seventh time dining there and was excellent again Great service food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's was a great surpriseTexasfoodiesDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I have gone to Portland for business/vacation the last 4 years and had never been to David's but had been to several other upscale restaurants in Old Port. David's food and service rivaled the others. We loved the food and the atmosphere and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Food is always great...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014David's in Monument Sq is in my opinion not the best atmosphere - unless you can get a seat out back. Menu and food is always great - probably would stick with one of the other locations.Special Features:
- A sure thing--always!ChakaDined on 9/19/2014I don't think I have ever been disappointed by a visit to David's. For a restaurant in its price range, the dishes are always of high quality, frequently intriguing, and never boring, and the service is unfailingly attentive and congenial. With its unbeatable location, it's one of the best restaurants around for consistently good food, good wine, and good company.Special Features:
- Great food, need more spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014The food here was excellent, it is just a shame that the tables and everything are crammed into such a small space.Special Features:
- AmazingsweetmmnnDined on 9/17/2014The food at Davids was rich and tastee. I had the seafood ravioli and that was to die for. My husband had the tuna meal which was fresh and exquisitely plated. Overall i would definitely go back. Great food, great priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencewinnmt1Dined on 9/15/2014Recently traveled with friends from California to Portland to explore the dining scene. Visited several restaurants over our three day visit; David's by far was the favorite of everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Jat7520Dined on 9/12/2014Our salads were amazing, followed by the swordfish special and filet. The entree presentations were beautiful. The bread was warm and delicious. Excellent wine and beer list. We will return for sure. David's is perfect for a special occasion celebration,Special Features:
- Garlic knots are worth the visitsaisabokDined on 9/6/2014Love the garlic knots they serve with the fresh bread. The meal was very nice, although three of us had steak and only one was cooked as requested. The meat was a bit tough as well. Otherwise, they plate things beautifully and the food is pricey but lovely.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding food and service. Pricey, so not an everyday haunt. I will go back for the food! Oh and drinks are made with love too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's with cousin.wouldlovetodinemoreDined on 9/4/2014We had a very enjoyable time. Restaurant was not too noisy and not too quiet. We took visiting family from Kansas. They both had the salmon special and proclaimed it the best they have had. The tuna tartare was phenomenal as was the Asian inspired duck. My wife went for the scallop special, she felt it was very good. Complaints though minimal would be on the ambiance side, tables are a little tight. I also felt a waitress could have been a little friendlier. She was attentive and efficient but all business, more like a high paced breakfast server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred GNightcapDined on 8/30/2014Arrived @ res time (8:00pm) & was informed lobster special was 'sold out'! Obviously disappointed but our server, Kim, recommend an alternate offering after confirming w/kitchen that special wasn't possible. Steamed whole lobster was very good as were appetizers & chowder; as a whole, the menu was basic and well prepared.Special Features:
- JzdancerDined on 8/30/2014We had a 7:30 reservation, arrived on time. Not sure why we had to wait ten minutes for a table as there appeared to be a number of empty ones with seating for 4, but once we wee seated our waitress was attentive and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Digging David'sLjmcDined on 8/29/2014Our group of 6 had a great meal here! The restaurant hits all the marks: service, ambience, varied wine list and most importantly absolutely fantastic food! We had everything from deconstructed lobster ravioli (amazing) to a wonderful take of surf n turf, to duck and mushroom pasta dish. A great night on all counts !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss itNewportlanderDined on 8/29/2014David's is one of best keep secret in Portland. Great food,Very nice wine list, priced accordingly. Pleasant knowledgeable attentive staff. Will definitely recommend to friends and family .Can't wait for my next visit to David's a fantastic restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Suggested by a foodie friend for our anniversary. Looked forward to a fine dining experience. Restaurant is in need of upgrading, dark dusty appearance, missing floor tiles, dull paint. Menu choices were good, execution less than good. Bread brought right away, warm but under risen, making it gooey. Apps: lamb sliders, couldn't taste land bread tough. Clam chowder good but luke warm. Surf +Turf: chewy steak reported to waitress, no response, replacement or comp. Nice shrimp +scallop skewer. Salmon entree very good. Nothing on dessert menu appealing especially based on bread quality. $100 + tip better spent elsewhere in Portland.
- Yes and YesKG2014Dined on 8/16/2014The ambience, the music, the 'relaxed and energizing atmosphere coupled with the professionalism and friendly style of our server provided the right combination for a special occasion weekend visit. From drinks to dessert, the tuna tartare, fresh mozzarella salad, crab and haddock entree were fresh and ample for sharing. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at David'sfrequentvisitorDined on 8/10/2014We needed to find a place to have dinner in Portland on a Sunday evening- not many of our local restaurants stay open of Sundays. Thankfully, we gave David's a call and were able to get a reservation. I was meeting an old friend from out of state and wanted to impress her an excellent meal in Portland (she heard so much about the restaurants in Portland). Our dining experience was excellent - we shared a bottle of wine, enjoyed a seafood dinner and shared a scrumptious dessert and were able to talk for a couple of hours without being rushed in any way - our waitress was very attentive to our needs - just the right amount of visits. Thank you for a wonderful evening of fine dining.Special Features:
- Unremarkablefoodie2Dined on 8/6/2014We were very disappointed with the food and device at this Portland restaurant. Food was bland and the waiter did not know much about the food when we asked questions nor did he know about the wine list. He was polite though.
- David's is outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We heard about this restaurant from a local, and we were not disappointed!! It was an outstanding meal, Patrick was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood ravioli I've ever had!BigDaddyDined on 8/3/2014This place is a bit small, but turns it into cozy! We did not do the Opus Ten side of the restaurant which was highly recommended by our hotel. The service was very good and the food was fantastic. From the little Parmesan breads to munch on to the Lobster & Seafood Ravioli that I had, which was one of the best things I've ever tasted! We went on a Sunday night so it was a bit slow, but picked up by the time we were leaving around 8pm. I honestly think this is likely one of Portland's best. We spent 4 days there eating and drinking in every notable restaurant we could find and this was my favorite. Looking forward to going back some day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Vibe at David'sjtjerseyDined on 8/1/2014Thoroughly enjoyed dinner at David's on Monument Square in the heart of Portland. Couldn't beat the table seating near the window to take in all of the evening action in the Square. Service was very friendly and accomodating. The Franklin ME oysters were nice and plump with a briney taste but could have been a tad colder. Outstanding was the ahi tuna entree with sesame soba noodles and sides of pickled ginger and wasabi. The filet mignon, shrimp and scallop entree was a close second. The place can get a bit crowded and seating is tight but the overall experience is well worth your time and money. It's a must do when in the Portland ME area. We will be sure to come back again and again.Special Features:
- Nice enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Having read wonderful reviews, including comparison to NYC new chefs at more affordable prices, maybe our expectations were too high. The menu reads well, but the food was mediocre. (Why would you serve a peach salad with under ripe peaches?) The waitress was pleasant, but several times said " remind me to bring X" and sure enough, needed reminding. The staff was enthusiastic, but lacked knowledge of food or drink offerings. And ambience, what ambience? A serviceable meal, nice enough, but we wouldn't hurry to go back or recommend it.
- Great FooddarkgaelDined on 7/28/2014We have been to David's many times over the past few years. The food is always first rate, and this time was no different. The only wrinkle on this visit was the service. Historically, service has always been first rate. On this visit, the waitress seemed intent on only one thing, getting us in and out as quickly as possible. The restaurant was not overly busy, there were empty tables when we arrived and when we left, but from her manner, the waitress just wanted to move us along. Very out of character, hopefully just an exception to the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!MMRVVIPDined on 7/28/2014Great dishes,we'll presented,perfect size. We went for lunch and it doesn't look so fancy, but the kitchen is spectacular and they do have a very nice part of the restaurant for dinner. Congrats to the chef, it was fast delicious and unforgettable! Great mushroom tortellini and open lobster ravioli fantastic burger! Our server was with her mind somewhere else. But amazing experience overall and good location with a parking At the door and for a walk afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Portland's BestFreshFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Always a memorable meal! And the best martinis in town! Avocado and tomato caprese had a most fantastic balsamic reduction. Mussels enhanced with bacon which made a great broth. Both entrees perfectly done - the tuna and the shrimp and scallop skewers, both on the menu. Nice sides, especially the crisp asparagus. Salted cramel chocolate torte and good, strong coffee capped the meal. We've been coming here (and SoPo) for years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- A great restaurant in PortlandSoozakDined on 7/25/2014Great good, drinks, and service - what more can I say?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing pre-theater dinneroperaloversVIPDined on 7/25/2014Despite a reservation for pre-theater dinner we were seated in a very crowded bar area on a "high top" table. Our requests for a DR table were useless although there were numerous empty tables even when we left. We were physically uncomfortable, dangling over our food! Next evening in Portland we will go some place else.Special Features:
- Outstanding Portland DiningJmopensDined on 7/24/2014First time dining in Portland for my wife and it was a great experience. Great menu. We choose lobster ravioli and stuffed haddock. Both were delicious and well presented. Service was great and we we're taken to our table at our appointed time. Try the calamari for starters! Overall a 5 star experience and a great introduction to Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.