22 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.davidsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 207-773-4340
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Mon. - Fri.3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Turin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off premise catering is offered on a limited basis, generally for regular guests by request only. Because of this limit, every party is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 30. We do offer the whole restaurant for private events as well.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Smith 2077734340
- Cross Street: Preble Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We recommend that our guests park in the adjacent Monument Square parking garage, or the Free Street lot, which is immediately adjacent to it on Free Street. The Elm Street Garage, across from the Public Library is also available and within easy walking distance and the Public Market garage is located behind the library across the street from the restaurant. Most people are able to find street parking if they drive around for a minute or two.
A word from David's Restaurant
Located at the foot of Portland’s arts district on Monument square, Portland ME David Turin, Chef / Owner moved David’s to this historic location in 1998. The restaurant is a tastefully and creatively decorated update to the “Great Fire” surviving building which housed the presses for The Portland Telegram Newspaper at the turn of the century. The open kitchen allows diners to watch the creation of meals which feature the bounty of regional resources prepared without culinary boundaries. David’s cuisine has one foot in tradition and another in the contemporary influences of many of the world’s great cuisines. The New York Times … “an intelligent hand in the kitchen of the sort you would find in better New York restaurants for half as much.. The Portland Press Herald… “This restaurant is doing amazing things and at the same time keeping prices reasonable- Four and a Half Stars!” Portland Magazine … “Truly a spectacular meal” “Best of New England 2008” – New England Travel MaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
David's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
David's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (56)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (30)notable wine list (25)great for outdoor dining (21)hot spot (19)great for lunch (17)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Excellent!Jat7520Dined on 9/12/2014Our salads were amazing, followed by the swordfish special and filet. The entree presentations were beautiful. The bread was warm and delicious. Excellent wine and beer list. We will return for sure. David's is perfect for a special occasion celebration,Special Features:
- Garlic knots are worth the visitsaisabokDined on 9/6/2014Love the garlic knots they serve with the fresh bread. The meal was very nice, although three of us had steak and only one was cooked as requested. The meat was a bit tough as well. Otherwise, they plate things beautifully and the food is pricey but lovely.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding food and service. Pricey, so not an everyday haunt. I will go back for the food! Oh and drinks are made with love too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's with cousin.wouldlovetodinemoreDined on 9/4/2014We had a very enjoyable time. Restaurant was not too noisy and not too quiet. We took visiting family from Kansas. They both had the salmon special and proclaimed it the best they have had. The tuna tartare was phenomenal as was the Asian inspired duck. My wife went for the scallop special, she felt it was very good. Complaints though minimal would be on the ambiance side, tables are a little tight. I also felt a waitress could have been a little friendlier. She was attentive and efficient but all business, more like a high paced breakfast server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred GNightcapDined on 8/30/2014Arrived @ res time (8:00pm) & was informed lobster special was 'sold out'! Obviously disappointed but our server, Kim, recommend an alternate offering after confirming w/kitchen that special wasn't possible. Steamed whole lobster was very good as were appetizers & chowder; as a whole, the menu was basic and well prepared.Special Features:
- JzdancerDined on 8/30/2014We had a 7:30 reservation, arrived on time. Not sure why we had to wait ten minutes for a table as there appeared to be a number of empty ones with seating for 4, but once we wee seated our waitress was attentive and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Digging David'sLjmcDined on 8/29/2014Our group of 6 had a great meal here! The restaurant hits all the marks: service, ambience, varied wine list and most importantly absolutely fantastic food! We had everything from deconstructed lobster ravioli (amazing) to a wonderful take of surf n turf, to duck and mushroom pasta dish. A great night on all counts !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss itNewportlanderDined on 8/29/2014David's is one of best keep secret in Portland. Great food,Very nice wine list, priced accordingly. Pleasant knowledgeable attentive staff. Will definitely recommend to friends and family .Can't wait for my next visit to David's a fantastic restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Suggested by a foodie friend for our anniversary. Looked forward to a fine dining experience. Restaurant is in need of upgrading, dark dusty appearance, missing floor tiles, dull paint. Menu choices were good, execution less than good. Bread brought right away, warm but under risen, making it gooey. Apps: lamb sliders, couldn't taste land bread tough. Clam chowder good but luke warm. Surf +Turf: chewy steak reported to waitress, no response, replacement or comp. Nice shrimp +scallop skewer. Salmon entree very good. Nothing on dessert menu appealing especially based on bread quality. $100 + tip better spent elsewhere in Portland.
- Yes and YesKG2014Dined on 8/16/2014The ambience, the music, the 'relaxed and energizing atmosphere coupled with the professionalism and friendly style of our server provided the right combination for a special occasion weekend visit. From drinks to dessert, the tuna tartare, fresh mozzarella salad, crab and haddock entree were fresh and ample for sharing. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at David'sfrequentvisitorDined on 8/10/2014We needed to find a place to have dinner in Portland on a Sunday evening- not many of our local restaurants stay open of Sundays. Thankfully, we gave David's a call and were able to get a reservation. I was meeting an old friend from out of state and wanted to impress her an excellent meal in Portland (she heard so much about the restaurants in Portland). Our dining experience was excellent - we shared a bottle of wine, enjoyed a seafood dinner and shared a scrumptious dessert and were able to talk for a couple of hours without being rushed in any way - our waitress was very attentive to our needs - just the right amount of visits. Thank you for a wonderful evening of fine dining.Special Features:
- Unremarkablefoodie2Dined on 8/6/2014We were very disappointed with the food and device at this Portland restaurant. Food was bland and the waiter did not know much about the food when we asked questions nor did he know about the wine list. He was polite though.
- David's is outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We heard about this restaurant from a local, and we were not disappointed!! It was an outstanding meal, Patrick was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood ravioli I've ever had!BigDaddyDined on 8/3/2014This place is a bit small, but turns it into cozy! We did not do the Opus Ten side of the restaurant which was highly recommended by our hotel. The service was very good and the food was fantastic. From the little Parmesan breads to munch on to the Lobster & Seafood Ravioli that I had, which was one of the best things I've ever tasted! We went on a Sunday night so it was a bit slow, but picked up by the time we were leaving around 8pm. I honestly think this is likely one of Portland's best. We spent 4 days there eating and drinking in every notable restaurant we could find and this was my favorite. Looking forward to going back some day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Vibe at David'sjtjerseyDined on 8/1/2014Thoroughly enjoyed dinner at David's on Monument Square in the heart of Portland. Couldn't beat the table seating near the window to take in all of the evening action in the Square. Service was very friendly and accomodating. The Franklin ME oysters were nice and plump with a briney taste but could have been a tad colder. Outstanding was the ahi tuna entree with sesame soba noodles and sides of pickled ginger and wasabi. The filet mignon, shrimp and scallop entree was a close second. The place can get a bit crowded and seating is tight but the overall experience is well worth your time and money. It's a must do when in the Portland ME area. We will be sure to come back again and again.Special Features:
- Nice enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Having read wonderful reviews, including comparison to NYC new chefs at more affordable prices, maybe our expectations were too high. The menu reads well, but the food was mediocre. (Why would you serve a peach salad with under ripe peaches?) The waitress was pleasant, but several times said " remind me to bring X" and sure enough, needed reminding. The staff was enthusiastic, but lacked knowledge of food or drink offerings. And ambience, what ambience? A serviceable meal, nice enough, but we wouldn't hurry to go back or recommend it.
- Great FooddarkgaelDined on 7/28/2014We have been to David's many times over the past few years. The food is always first rate, and this time was no different. The only wrinkle on this visit was the service. Historically, service has always been first rate. On this visit, the waitress seemed intent on only one thing, getting us in and out as quickly as possible. The restaurant was not overly busy, there were empty tables when we arrived and when we left, but from her manner, the waitress just wanted to move us along. Very out of character, hopefully just an exception to the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!MMRVVIPDined on 7/28/2014Great dishes,we'll presented,perfect size. We went for lunch and it doesn't look so fancy, but the kitchen is spectacular and they do have a very nice part of the restaurant for dinner. Congrats to the chef, it was fast delicious and unforgettable! Great mushroom tortellini and open lobster ravioli fantastic burger! Our server was with her mind somewhere else. But amazing experience overall and good location with a parking At the door and for a walk afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Portland's BestFreshFoodieDined on 7/25/2014Always a memorable meal! And the best martinis in town! Avocado and tomato caprese had a most fantastic balsamic reduction. Mussels enhanced with bacon which made a great broth. Both entrees perfectly done - the tuna and the shrimp and scallop skewers, both on the menu. Nice sides, especially the crisp asparagus. Salted cramel chocolate torte and good, strong coffee capped the meal. We've been coming here (and SoPo) for years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- A great restaurant in PortlandSoozakDined on 7/25/2014Great good, drinks, and service - what more can I say?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing pre-theater dinneroperaloversVIPDined on 7/25/2014Despite a reservation for pre-theater dinner we were seated in a very crowded bar area on a "high top" table. Our requests for a DR table were useless although there were numerous empty tables even when we left. We were physically uncomfortable, dangling over our food! Next evening in Portland we will go some place else.Special Features:
- Outstanding Portland DiningJmopensDined on 7/24/2014First time dining in Portland for my wife and it was a great experience. Great menu. We choose lobster ravioli and stuffed haddock. Both were delicious and well presented. Service was great and we we're taken to our table at our appointed time. Try the calamari for starters! Overall a 5 star experience and a great introduction to Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!SandyDined on 7/24/2014Delicious dinners, great presentation, perfect portion size. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Look forward to dining at David's next trip to Portland.
- Foodies DelightJohnMDined on 7/24/2014As always the food at David's Restaurant is outstanding as is the food served at all his restaurants. I have "never ever been disappointed"!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful LunchDanZDined on 7/23/2014Lobster was great. Service was great! There was a really cool scene outside this place. People singing, playing instruments, very cool! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visit to portlandspatzdoVIPDined on 7/19/2014we went to David's on a long weekend trip to Portland. The food and service were great. I had the lobster ravioli. YUM!! My friend the swordfish. both meals were delicious. The service was top notch. Put it on your list next time you go to Portland.Special Features:
- In the PocketOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014David's (22 Monument) is a great take for good food, comfortable ambiance, and outdoor dining if that suits you. Prices are not bad, food is very good. I had the mixed grill, my wife had the Lobster Ravioli. Portions were good--not too small and not too large (we are not "big" eaters). Wait staff was very cordial, comfortable with themselves, and efficient. And they had Baker's 7 (my Bourbon of choice for Manhattans). We sat inside, but had a nice view of the goings on in the square. The level of noise and activity creates a good energy; a nice "buzz" without being overly busy.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014I can't think of a negative thing to say. The waitress was delightful. The food was first rate. I'm always appreciative of varied menu choices that range from elegant to more casual for the budget conscious. The window seat across from the bar was very nice, too. Three of us had a drink, no one had dessert. Dinner ran $40 apiece plus tip, about what I would expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealCelics14VIPDined on 7/16/2014We were seated and after 15 minutes had to request that someone come by to take our order. The appetizers were very good but the swordfish was a thin piece which was not spicy as it was supposed to be and was served with cold couscous. Would expect better fish in Maine
- Not sure what it wants to bepollyannaDined on 7/14/2014When we arrived the hostess told us our table wasn't ready yet. We offered to wait outside, but she never came to tell us when the table was ready. The table service was similar---we were immediately approached, but then the server seemed to disappear for quite a while before we were able to order. The food was actually extremely good--nice selection, very fresh, good flavor, nicely prepared. However, our experience was diminished a little by the spotty service and general ambiance (top 40 music, lighting). It doesn't seem clear to me whether David's wants to be an upscale casual restaurant, which it has the potential to be, or a 'family' place, which is what the ambiance and service seem to say. That said, I'd go back again.
- Nice EveningGinaZDined on 7/13/2014Hubby and I out for a dinner without the kiddos. Celebrating World Cup too. Dinner was very good, though it took a bit for us to be waited on once we were seated. Once our waiter did arrive, he was very attentive and respectful. I had the haddock with Crab (YUMM) and my husband had the steak with scallops and shrimp. (steak was a bit tough, but the seafood so good). Love the ambiance, great seat and very pleasant evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently creative and deliciousLuckyLobstersDined on 7/13/2014The menu has great variety to meet a wide variety of tastes (and budgets). I've been eating at David's for years and am consistently impressed.Special Features:
- AwesomeNEEMSVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great Dinner all around - service and food was terrificSpecial Features:
- Yet AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014This has become a regular stop when we are in the Portland area. Always a good experience.Special Features:
- A great findBigPointDined on 7/3/2014Few restaurants exceed the expectations of this cynic... But this one did. That it carries the name of my life-long best friend.... Well, a good coincidence. Kudos and thanks...made for a nice birthdays celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/20143 of us took a friend for dinner and ordered a bunch of small plates to share. We were wowed. Every morsel was superb. Our server was excellent. Very attentive and kept the courses coming with perfect timing. I would definitely go again. Prices were typical and fine. I have recommended it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David, you're greatAndrefromMontrealDined on 7/1/2014Food was great especially the tuna tartar. Thanks for a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Anniversary DinnerLuvPortland7153Dined on 6/28/2014We had a lovely anniversary dinner at David's. The server was attentive and fun and our seat by the window was perfect. The salmon and corn cakes and the fried calamari were exceptional appetizers. Enjoyed the steak and pork tenderloin and left full and happy. Thanks for a lovely evening!Special Features:
- truenorthDined on 6/28/2014We recently joined friends who are new to the Portland dining scene for dinner at David's on a Saturday evening. The food did not disappoint. Everything was made with fresh ingredients, flavorful and presented with an appealing visual aesthetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, OK serviceJDDAR13Dined on 6/25/2014Food was very good. Service was average. Waitress never even introduced herself, explained the specials or supplied bread to the table until asked. Glad specials menu was on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.