David Todd's City Tavern
150 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
David Todd's City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidtoddscitytavern.com/
- Phone: (973) 993-8066
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:30a - 2:00p
Saturday, 12:00p - 3:00p
Dinner: Monday-Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
"Happy Hour" Monday-Friday 5:00p-7:00p
Special Drink Prices and $5.00 appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Prusin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private room for 12p to 25p We can design a specific menu for your needs. Call for availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining with its flowing curtain wall and large decorative mirrors is perfect for 12 to 25 guests. It's the perfect size for a business dinner meeting, training session or family get together. We have pre-fix menus available or we can design a menu just for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Redmond 9739938066x
- Special Events:
A word from David Todd's City Tavern
David Todd's City Tavern is an upscale casual restaurant in a comfortable atmosphere in Morristown, New Jersey featuring contemporary American cuisine with an award winning wine list, (Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2012) as well as boutique beers and martinis!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Todd's City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (41)vibrant bar scene (32)special occasion (24)notable wine list (24)hot spot (21)good for groups (21)romantic (11)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- For the price and the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2011For the price and the quality of the food, I would not go back. The food was bland and nothing special. A glass of house wine was $12. The ambiance was a bit strange in the dining room. The experience was not worth the money. I had to go home and eat a sandwich. Our waitress was very nice...but that's the only good thing I can say.
- This was my second time herenjdevil1VIPDined on 3/16/2011This was my second time here and I thought this visit was not quite as good as my first.The food was just as good, but the service was a bit off. It almost seems the service is better when there is a crowd then when it is slow. We waited alomst 15 minutes for a server to take a our drink order and then another 15 minutes or so before he came back for our dinner order. This is not to say the server was not attentive, just slow. It was also nice to see that specials were added to the menu and they were well explained with prices.Special Features:
- UninspiredSubeeVIPDined on 3/14/2011Food was very average! Nothing special. Dressing on the beet salad was congealed. (Probably came straight from the refrigerator.) Pork "mignon" was just a bland boneless pork chop. Fingerling potatoes weren't fully cooked. Elements served in separate piles, like you do at home. Chocolate "sliders" for dessert was all gimmick, no taste. Not sure what all the hype is about!Special Features:
- The beer list was impressive,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2011The beer list was impressive, but wine was only by the glass. The tables are close together and a bit noiseySpecial Features:
- Looking forward to next visitdshawger1Dined on 3/9/2011Nice addition to the thriving Morristown restaurant scene.Special Features:
- It was quiet because no onerockyVIPDined on 3/8/2011It was quiet because no one was there. Food was good - not great, service was not what it should be in an upscale restaurant of those prices. Very sweet girl, but did not know how to pronounce half of the menu.
- The tartar sampler and sausageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2011The tartar sampler and sausage sampler appetizers were excellent, but the Louisiana red fish was overcooked and the salmon was nothing special. The oatmeal cookie cream dessert was good, but skip the chocolate burgers, just hard disks of chocolate placed between split munchkins. The noise level in the dining room was very high. I would go back for drinks and appetizers at the bar, but probably not for dinner.Special Features:
- great food, noisy. nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/4/2011great food, noisy. nothing on walls or floor to absorb all the noise. otherwise, good time.Special Features:
- Food & service is exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/4/2011Food & service is exceptional. Calamari & mushroom ravioli apps are mouth watering & the steaks are perfect! If you haven't been yet definitely go!Special Features:
- Ate here on a Wednesday night,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2011Ate here on a Wednesday night, thus it was pretty quite. The food was good. I have been here too with my husband and we sat at the bar, which was very enjoyable. I definately think the appetizer menu is much better compared to the dinner menu.
- What a wonderful place. Busy,njdevil1VIPDined on 2/26/2011What a wonderful place. Busy, a bit noisy, but the food is wonderful and the service top rate. Crab cake appy as well as entre was delicious. Pork filet was tasty and spiced just right. Only the desserts were a bit lacking. Their presentation was great but they might be a bit to ambitious. Chocolate sliders were ok. Oatmeal cookies with cream were good but could have been better if the cookies were not so thick We will certainly put David Todds on our favorite list.Special Features:
- Just okay...Some interestingLoveGoodFoodDined on 2/19/2011Just okay...Some interesting menu items...Nothing to rave about though...Beer and Wine Flights (samplers) were a great idea...Service was very good...Can't say anything bad just no "wow" factor...
- Very good food, interestingRobertDined on 2/19/2011Very good food, interesting menu, nice well selected wine list.Special Features:
- Appetizers quite nice, original.BrunoDined on 2/15/2011Appetizers quite nice, original. 2 main courses (Pork Mignon) were pretty bland
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Food is good, but not exceptional, and expensive for what is delivered. While good in concept, fails in execution. Bar has decent beer and wine selection.
- Valentines Day menu - wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2011Valentines Day menu - was hoping to select from full menu, but a great time nonetheless. Worth checking out - dining scene in Morristown is exploding with great choices.Special Features:
- New restaurant brings newOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011New restaurant brings new dining experience: Flawless! The appetizers & main courses were 2nd to none! The chef's complimentary chocolate desserts were "to die for"! Bravo Chef David! Bravo Todd!Special Features:
- Adding to the very long listOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/12/2011Adding to the very long list of restaurants in Morristown, David Todd's should have staying power. The food was excellent and the service was quite good. We'll be back!Special Features:
- We had a great time! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011We had a great time! The food was great, the beer selection was fantastic. Our server was very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Good place that could be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/12/2011Food was good, very nice beer list. Bustling and noisey. Service is not great but cordial. Good restaurant that's still working out their service kinks.Special Features:
- Great time - great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/12/2011We had a great time, and the food was delicious. They had made a special drink for Valentine's Day that was wonderful. Thank you!Special Features:
- Group with opinionsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/11/2011The atmosphere was nice but our group was split on the food. Salmon eaters enjoyed their entree, other fish was reviewed as "mediocre at best". The orrechiette pasta was "pretty flavorless unless there was sausage in the bite". Calamari and cheese fondue were good. Brie was good as long as the bread wasn't soggy from the accompanying sauce. Bread pudding was too hard.Special Features:
- We were a bit concerned astimeflies1VIPDined on 2/11/2011We were a bit concerned as we were late to our reservations and had tix for the Mayo Theater. We were seated quickly and explained our predicament to our server. Initially we were just going to order our main meal because of our time concern. Our waiter assured us ordering an appetizer and getting us out wouldn't be a problem. He was right. Everything was prompt without being rushed. The scallops my friend ordered were huge and well prepared. Presentation was excellent. My filet mignon was done to perfection and the vegetables were not overcooked. My only criticism and overall it's a small one is that the prices were a tad high given the suburban location. But overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved this restaurant, fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2011Loved this restaurant, from the appetizers to the entree, the only thing I missed was the dessert, too full for that!Special Features:
- Food was superb and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2011Food was superb and the service was as well. Main course came a little fast behind the apps, but it was delicious. Both steak and fish dishes were cooked perfectly. They were fairly behind on their reservation times as we got seated almost 45 minutes late, but once we sat down, it was a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- The pork mignon was especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2011The pork mignon was especially delicious and a hit. The desserts were fun and the cotton candy with the spun sugar stick was a delightful touch.Special Features:
- Bottom line. too expensiveTrokusonDined on 1/29/2011Bottom line. too expensive for a "tavern" type restaurant, limited menu.Special Features:
- Overall good experience butfoodie4lifeDined on 1/29/2011Overall good experience but we did have to wait for our reserved table, beer prices good, wine by the glass high, nice table but very loud, loved the tartare app, hated beet salad too chuncky and dijon sauce too strong. We loved scallop dinner and the sirloin steak was done perfectly...tried slidder dessert very cute so so taste. Waiter good but confusing, rattled off "specials" but they seemed more like a lot of "substitutions".Special Features:
- never againOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/28/2011The mussel appetizer was very good...but the filet mignon dinner was extremely disappointing. The meat had absolutely no juice when you cut into it and it was cold inside. The wait staff did not apologize. Too many great restaurants.....don't waste your time or money.
- Menu was nice; however, theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2011Menu was nice; however, the kitchen did not deliver. The Caesar salad had no Parm cheese and we were never offered fresh pepper. The duo of Tare Tare was way underseasoned and there was no salt on the table. The Scallops were nothing out of the ordinary. The duck was great; however, the "sauteed" Bok Chok was limp and tasteless. Was looking forward to dessert; however, the choices were lack luster. Very disappointed. The food looked beautiful but it was tasteless.Special Features:
- The menu had a nice varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2011The menu had a nice variety and was not overwhelming. I ordered the deconstructed ravioli which actually turned out to be constructed. (No biggie!) They were a bit chewy, and could have used a little more salt, but other then that were quite tasty. My friend ordered the halibut, which they did not have that evening. The server did not mention that the halibut was out, nor that they had a special fish that evening, before we were ready to order. She was sweet though and pretty attentive. I love the decor, and they played some nice music, but not too loudly which made it good for conversation.Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/21/2011My three girlfriends and I were hopeful entering David Todd's, but once we were seated it took awhile for service. We found our total experience very inconsistent. At the bar, a glass of wine was undrinkable and returned. Never had to send back tap water before, but it was really awful. Our group shared a few appetizers: the mussels and calamari were delicious, the beet salad was tasty, however the spinach salad was a dissapointment. The skate wing looked fried and was very salty. The cappucino was awful and sent back (tasted like instant coffee mix). I would not return to this restaurant for dinner any time soon. Too bad, it does have potential.Special Features:
- The food was decent, but possiblyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2011The food was decent, but possibly a little over priced for the quality. Service was slow. Ambiance was fine. Needs a little work, but has good potential.
- went in for a quick dinnerJaniceVIPDined on 1/17/2011went in for a quick dinner after a weekend out of town. the menu had lots of nice selections. We wanted halibut but it had not been delivered that day. We were not told that until we were ordering. The substitute was red fish which was good but I would not have again. It came with leeks and mashed potatoes which I thought were excellent. Also had french onion soup which i also thought was very good. The only issue was after we were done we sat at the table for a long time without anyone coming over to take plates or anything. we finally got the attention of the hostess in order to get our check. I would go back again.
- The noise level on the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2011The noise level on the restaurant side was far too loud - we could not carry on a conversation with the other people at our table without yelling. Interestingly, the noise level on the bar side was fine. Whatever they did over there should be repeated on the restaurant side. The food was excellent - however, due to the noise, we might not eat on the restaurant side again - we'd likely eat something at the tables on the bar side though.
- The menu is not extensiveJenn89Dined on 1/15/2011The menu is not extensive but does offer a wide variety of options. The Oatmeal cookie dessert is fantastic! The dining room is simplistic and brighter than you'd expect for the dining experience. Good for groups of 4 to 6 people. The bar area was hopping. A hip, city like restaurant, a welcome addition to town.Special Features:
- Gastropub. Enjoyed the specialOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/14/2011Gastropub. Enjoyed the special burger. They will have to do something with the entrance to the restaurant for people sitting near the door-uncomfortably cold. Nice beer selection-very active bar scene. Would try again but request a seat in the rear of the restaurant-interesting wall decoration-very clever.Special Features:
- We were happy to be tryingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2011We were happy to be trying David Todd's, as it looked like a nice restaurant and something different in the Morristown area. We waited a few minutes to sit down so we had a drink at the bar. Once seated for dinner, the waiter took our order and we were given our appetizer course. It took a little while to come out but we just figured they were busy as the place was packed (and loud I might add) so we brushed it off. I had the beet salad and my husband had the tuna tartare sampler which both were great so we were really excited for our entrees (skate & chicken dish) to arrive. So we waited, and waited and waited. About 30 minutes of waiting (no exaggeration), my husband had 2 beers within that time and still no dinner! The waiter came
- WAs looking forward to heatingbsgmdVIPDined on 1/8/2011WAs looking forward to heating at this new hotspot with friends. They unfortunately do not have it together yet and do not seem to have ready for the volume of diners. We waited 35 minutes past our reservation to sit. Once we orderd, we waited 45 minutes for the bottle of wine to come. Appetizers were to be "coordinated" by our waiter, but the second half didn't come. We watched order after order come out of the same app, but no one seemed to be able to get us one. Food took forever. Many apologies from staff and they were nice, but no one was doing anything to fix it. We were not the only ones forced to wait a long time to eat. Food itself was great. Not ready for prime time thoughSpecial Features:
- The food was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/8/2011The food was outstanding and imaginative. Highly recommend it. The problem with the restaurant is the noise. The restaurant is narrow with high ceilings which makes it hard to hear those at your table.Special Features: