David Todd's City Tavern
150 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
David Todd's City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidtoddscitytavern.com/
- Phone: 9739938066x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:30a - 2:00p
Saturday, 12:00p - 3:00p
Dinner: Monday-Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
"Happy Hour" Monday-Friday 5:00p-7:00p
Special Drink Prices and $5.00 appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Prusin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private room for 12p to 25p We can design a specific menu for your needs. Call for availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining with its flowing curtain wall and large decorative mirrors is perfect for 12 to 25 guests. It's the perfect size for a business dinner meeting, training session or family get together. We have pre-fix menus available or we can design a menu just for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Redmond 9739938066x
- Special Events:
A word from David Todd's City Tavern
David Todd's City Tavern is an upscale casual restaurant in a comfortable atmosphere in Morristown, New Jersey featuring contemporary American cuisine with an award winning wine list, (Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2012) as well as boutique beers and martinis!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
David Todd's City Tavern - Best Restaurants in Morristown ›
David Todd's City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (24)vibrant bar scene (23)good for groups (14)romantic (11)hot spot (10)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- food is exquisitely preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014The food, no matter if it's fish, chicken, meat, or duck, is cooked perfectly. I've never had a mediocre meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it use to be...clubquarkDined on 8/16/2014I use to enjoy eating here but each time I go back, the food quality is just bland. The menu has not changed in quite some time and when they do change something on it, they just ruin the better items.
- Consistently greatJamesDined on 8/16/2014We cannot count the number of times we have visited David Todd's, but drinks, food and service have always impressed. This time it was Gray Goose martinis, fresh beet salads, and caramelized scallops and the braised short ribs of beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I thought it would be :(Cla261Dined on 8/12/2014After reading the menu and knowing Morristown for having great little restaurant finds, I have t say I was a bit disappointed. I love cobia but this dish was far from what I have had in other places. Fish should never smell like fish but I let that go. Had I not been with a group of people that I would have been embarrassed to send something back in front of, I would have. Then finding out that the home made lemoncello was not available, well lets just say I will not be back.
- foodieDined on 7/29/2014In a word David Todd's City Tavern is GREAT!!!! The service is wonderful. This time Fred waited on us and he is very efficient and most pleasant. The food is great and the ambiance really nice. This was the second visit and we will go again and again.Special Features:
- All done wellDineFineDined on 7/26/2014Food was well-prepared and tasty, service was very good and ambiance pleasant , a nice evening out with friendsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable Apps!pairof8sVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had a good meal at David Todd's. We sat at the bar to eat once before and made a pronouncement that we decided still held true. Better to load up on the appetizers which were all delicious, and forgo any entrees (not as strong). This time we sat in the dining room and had a very nice meal, but felt the same way. The appetizers were amazing, the entrees not quite at that level. We'll definitely be back though to drink and eat those appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific eveningLchiafulloVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful meal here last Saturday evening. No show at the Mayo PAC, so not as crowded as usual. Loved the opportunity to order a wine flight, and the appetizers (steamed clams in a sherry cream sauce and the salmon spring rolls) were terrific. Main courses were a hit also (pork filet Mignon and the seared scallops). Service was attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, Horrible Food!Foodie824Dined on 7/19/2014My Husband and I recently went to David Todd's, and were greatly disappointed. The good was overlooked, and very salty (and I like salt). Additionally the sauce that can on my fish tastes like cheap melted ice cream. Food aside, I would recommend the bar. The drinks were good, as was the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food ok...clubquarkDined on 7/15/2014Food was just ok...wasn't terrible either. Lively crowd. The service was poor.
- Great placeAP2010VIPDined on 7/12/2014The first few times we came here, we were not thrilled. Their lunch menu was much better than their dinner menu. The service was always great, but the menu had few selections. We decided to try it one more time before we gave up on this spot. We are very glad that we did. The menu was recently changed and the options were much better. They still need to work on their dessert menu, but the appetizers and the entrees were fantastic.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance!SharSharDined on 6/24/2014This was about my 4th time dining here and I have always had a gourmet, delicious dinner with an attentive, efficient wait staff. The selection of food in awesome, very different from the rest of the restaurants in the area. Also love the flights of wine....good chance to taste and compare each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A problemJmayVIPDined on 6/14/2014Fabulous food. Wonderful at lunch. Unfortunately at dinner on a Saturday night the music was so loud that we couldn't hear one another speak. The restaurant was filled to capacity so I don't understand why the music was even needed. Requests to turn it down went unneeded. Ruined what otherwise would have been a enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre ChoicefiktoDined on 6/10/2014Stopped in for dinner before a concert at The Mayo. The server was mindful of the hour and did a good job getting us out on time without rushing. Food was well done, with an unusually wide variety of seafood dishes. Nevertheless, the duck was outstanding. Atmosphere is upscale but casual and they give a 10% discount for theatre goers. I will definitely return next time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Needs work on the menuLuvtennisDined on 6/10/2014The drinks were very good - the food was very overpriced. The tiny portion of mussels had this overpowering garlic sauce on top.Special Features:
- KidZimDined on 5/30/2014Shannon was super as our server, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it, would give another try!RUSHFan0612VIPDined on 5/28/2014I just came by myself one night since I traveled to work in Manhattan via the NJ Transit train through Morristown (Convent Station) that day. It was 3 days before our wedding and my fiance was out running around doing things, so I chose to come and try this place out since there was no dinner being cooked home. I had the Trio of Sliders for an app (to die for) and the Cobia for an entree, which surprisingly was very good and I was impressed. I really enjoyed talking to the bartender and some "regulars" there that night. As I said in the title, I would come again with my wife and give this place a 2nd try on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration LuncheondlbdesignDined on 5/17/2014We had a small party (only 6) but had a wonderful celebration lunch for my son's graduation. The staff was very accomadating as we were there late for lunchtime and the kitchen stayed open to put out fabulous food for us. I would definately reccommend and go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?DrJonDined on 5/13/2014I tried David Todd's with a friend. The hostess who greated us was less than friendly. We each had a hamburger - outstanding!! However, the service was quite amateurish. Two or three servers took care of us but there was confusion. My friend's wine was first served to me and when the server made the switch, it turned out to be the wrong wine. My beer was first poured into my water glass although the beer glass was sitting adjacent. One of the servers poured still water into my water glass instead of using the sparkling water bottle that I'd ordered, etc., etc.
- Great food, terrible servicemjltVIPDined on 5/13/2014went for lunch. No host/hostess. Long wait, forgot our salad, bread and drinks. Yet, the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 484 reviews are from the David Todd's City Tavern reviews archive.
- Eh...JMM13Dined on 5/3/2014This restaurant is extremely loud. Having a conversation with anyone other than the person sitting directly next to you requires an elevated level of speaking bordering on shouting; my throat was raw the next morning. In addition, the food is eh. I had the Ahi Tuna and it was perhaps the blandest meal I have had since trying my kids' baby food. The Caesar salad was also mediocre at best.
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014I've been to David Todd's a few times for dinner and each time I've had a great experience - with groups of 15, 4, and 2 people. The waiters are very knowledgeable of the menu and make great recommendations. The pommes frites app with cheese fondue is my favorite and the scallops are delicious! Great wine menu and atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great for date NitedateniteDined on 4/29/2014My wife and I recently went to David Todd's for dinner prior to seeing a show at the PAC center in Morristown. We had a great time enjoying specialty cocktails and a sampling of appetizers. It really made for a perfect evening. We sat in the lounge vs. the dining room. It was happy hour, so discounted prices on great cocktails. Also, if you have tickets for a show that night, they give a 10% discount on your tab, which is kinda cool. The food, drinks and service were excellent. The single malt scotch list is good, wine list looked good and the Signature Cocktails were really great. My wife had a Double Dirty Martini w/ blue cheese stuffed olives and I had a gin fizz cocktail with a sprig of tyme...Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Food!happydinerDined on 4/28/2014Oysters and Branzino were excellent. Desert was also amazing. I had been to David Todd's a few years ago and remembered the food being good but this time it was worth writing about. I already told 3 different friends that we must go there together. And though you are going for the food, the overall experience is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Relaxing Dining Experience!GraceDined on 4/28/2014As Morristown celebrates "Restaurant Week" we decided to try City Tavern since they were offering a "special menu" with fixed priced dining. It was an enjoyable Monday evening out ( I don't know if they're opened every Monday or just this Monday for restaurant week.) We dined in the bar/lounge area and which had a casual, modern atmosphere and for dinner we ordered the salmon with black beans and it was delicious! First course, we shared a toss salad and fried calamari both items were very good. For dessert, we had one yogurt & berries (Not so good) and one chocolate bread pudding with ice cream; bread pudding was yummie! We would definitely return again!
- Terrificnjdevil1VIPDined on 4/26/2014We have been coming here for quite sometime and are never disappointed. This time was no exception. Appy's of beet salad, short rib perrogies, and mussels were outstanding. We all had fish for dinner, halibut, hamachi, and cobra. Each was terrific, but the cobra was extraordinary. A restaurant you should not miss one of the best.Special Features:
- not going back for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014not a lot of food for the price, loud but the waiter was great.Special Features:
- Pre-theater at David ToddDonnaDined on 4/25/2014My group of 4 enjoyed our first time dining at David Todd prior to our show at MPAC. Wonderful menu variety and cocktails. Terrific knowledgeable server Eric who was spot on with our questions. Truthfully, as a group of Polish-Americans I chose this spot specifically when I saw "Short Rib Pierogies" on the appetizer menu. Having been used to the traditional potato/sauerkraut pierogies all of our lives we just had to sample this wonderful creation. And it did not disappoint. We all chose differently that evening with our entrees and we all savored and shared our choices. No sour grapes here. Will definitely return for repeats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasurable DiningmomjanDined on 4/23/2014We went to David Todd's City Tavern for a pre-show dinner. The restaurant is very inviting, the waitstaff was extremely pleasant, knowledgeable, and aware of the time limits for dinner due to the show. The food was very good and we thoroughly enjoyed dinner. I live locally so I eat in Morristown just about every week and weekend. David Todd's is a very nice place. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceTrendy2Dined on 4/21/2014The decor is very nice and the food is scrumptious. Enjoyed our visit and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!tazdine22Dined on 4/19/2014We had arrived late for our reservation because the show at the theater ran late, but our reservation was still held, and we were still seated right away. Thank you for that! Dinner was great, and the service was just perfect, and attentive. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Nice meal, excellent serviceNoaccountingfortasteDined on 4/16/2014Invited to a business function in the bar of David Todd's, enjoyed the atmosphere and good bartender. Decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary there. Went mid-week and for the most part enjoyed the food and drinks. Then, surprisingly, we were served two cappuccinos luke warm. Through that I realized why the dining experience on the whole was tops: Fred, our waiter. During the entire time there, Fred was the perfect waiter. All was timed perfectly, no hovering, no disappearing, he did everything just right, including the cappuccino fix. The other servers and bus staff, like that bartender, were also observed to be tops at their work. One caveat: if you must have gluten free, beware the errant crouton in your salad.
- foodieDined on 4/12/2014From the greeting at the entrance to the "Goodnight!" David Todd's was a delightful experience. The service is extremely cordial and the service first rate. Ask for Ted to wait on you. I doubt that any of us like to sit at tables for two right next to each other. But it did not diminish an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Fun with FriendstimmDined on 4/5/2014Good Food, nice restaurant/cool vibe....good for out of town friends!Special Features:
- Second visitKimSVIPDined on 4/4/2014The service and the food has been consistently excellent on both of our visits. We will definitely keep this restaurant in our frequent visit list.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surpriseddock1Dined on 3/27/2014We tried this restaurant because of its proximity to the theatre. The staff was friendly and very knowledgable re my wine choice and the menu. All of us enjoyed our meals. The sauteed scallops appetizer was delicious, and the pork special was fantastic. The portions weren't huge, but plenty of food. We are planning to return for our second visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Drinking and Dining ExperienceSoManyRestaurantsDined on 3/26/2014Friendly hostess on way in, was early to meet friend so had drink at pretty happening and friendly bar, friendly bar tender, slightly overwhelmed. My friend was late but no pressure from hostess to sit (albeit it was still early and quiet in dining room). Good experienced server, was in a bit of a hurry but backed off when he saw we weren't. He made good recommendations and the food was well-served and delicious. What else can you ask for?Special Features:
- For the price you pay, foodBabsDined on 3/22/2014For the price you pay, food not that great, too crowded at bar with all of the bar tables in the way. Server was not friendly and we had to send dessert back it was so bad.
- 4th time is not a charmPaulDined on 3/22/2014Can't keep up with their past success: food down a noticeable notch, way too loud music for the crowd which had to scream across tables to be heard, not enough staff for the packed bars, dropped glasses, dirty plates. At least on this night, they lost their vibe. Disappointing, since we brought new people there based on past experience.Special Features:
- Too noisyEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 3/22/2014I thought the food was good. I was quite impressed that a table had truly been reserved with my name on a placard. Noise was terrible. Really took away from the food. There was a private party 4 tables away shielded only by a screen. The music piped into the room was better suited for a disco. I love mussels and the ones I was served were excellent. Didn't need the garlic aioli though. Had the beet salad. Didn't expect horseradish in the salad. Kind of fought with all the garlic in the mussels.I would recommend this to a friend.