David Todd's City Tavern
150 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
David Todd's City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidtoddscitytavern.com/
- Phone: 9739938066x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:30a - 2:00p
Saturday, 12:00p - 3:00p
Dinner: Monday-Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
"Happy Hour" Monday-Friday 5:00p-7:00p
Special Drink Prices and $5.00 appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Prusin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private room for 12p to 25p We can design a specific menu for your needs. Call for availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining with its flowing curtain wall and large decorative mirrors is perfect for 12 to 25 guests. It's the perfect size for a business dinner meeting, training session or family get together. We have pre-fix menus available or we can design a menu just for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Redmond 9739938066x
- Special Events:
A word from David Todd's City Tavern
David Todd's City Tavern is an upscale casual restaurant in a comfortable atmosphere in Morristown, New Jersey featuring contemporary American cuisine with an award winning wine list, (Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2012) as well as boutique beers and martinis!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Todd's City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (25)notable wine list (18)hot spot (14)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (8)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Scallops and Creme BrûléeMDabalDined on 9/26/2014This is the 4th time dining out with friends at David Todd's and the scallops and creme brûlée are consistantly excellent. Service was good and we enjoyed the warm and friendly atmosphere of the bar before dinner.Special Features:
- AlmostJanetSVIPDined on 9/20/2014I found this restaurant very disappointing, and the frustrating part is that is was almost there. The room is beautiful, the service great, and the wine and beer list outstanding. The dishes all sounded and looked beautiful...but the flavor was missing. The yellowtail crudo (they were out of tuna) was virtually flavorless. The salmon egg roll was messy and uninspired. Both my husband's steak and my fish arrived lukewarm. For dessert, I was looking forward to the beignets. Unfortunately they were spongy and heavy. Too bad.Special Features:
- Busy nightFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/19/2014David Todd's is our go-to restaurant when attending an event at the MPAC. But with Saturday's opening night, the restaurant was over packed. So much so that we were seated at a table placed at the door opening and kept getting bumped into. The food is always good here and they have a nice wine selection. Too bad on them for squeezing in as many seats as possible and making for an unpleasant experience. The servers and kitchen were obviously working hard to keep up. Our server saved the night with his friendliness - and maybe the wine helped a little too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceNancyDined on 9/18/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday with a group of 6. Server was one of the best we'd encountered. All were quite happy with their food choices and the meal, from start to finish, was sublime. Already made another reservation there.Special Features:
- Downhill?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014i had given a high rating to David Todd a year and a half ago, and I go there fairly often. But it has been worsening over time. The waiter didn't know the menu nor the wine list at all. Previously the wait staff had been very knowledgeable and could recommend wines, including ones off the menu. The food isn't what it was either, for example the beet salad used to be special but it isn't now. My waiter was slow and couldn't be found, even though the restaurant was only one quarter full. This isn't the first bad time I've had there, but I wrote it off to them having a bad night, but I'm seeing a downward trend.
- Would go backraygunVIPDined on 9/11/2014I had read some mixed reviews so I didn't know what to expect. I was very impressed and would definitely go back. My scallops and chorizo appetizer was cooked perfectly and very tasty and the duck breast entree was delicious. My wife was disappointed with the beef wellington ravioli but it looked good to me although I didn't try it. You have the option of getting a side of foie gras with every entree. We didn't opt for that but it certainly sounds interesting. Our waiter was courteous and made good recommendations regarding menu choices and cooking temperature but at times he was nowhere in site. The parking (as always in Morristown) is an issue. There is limited parking in the back and several municipal lots nearby. Try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuckc1158Dined on 9/10/2014The menu has a great selection of fish. Love the unique items and interesting sides (braised fennel and napa cabbage). The almond cookies with coffee are the perfect after dinner bite. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do you yourself a favorBernieDined on 9/10/2014Second time we've eaten at David Todd's. The menu seemed far better this time around. The 1st time may have been shortly after they opened. Well , do yourself a favor and try this restaurant. Service was friendly and accurate on their suggestions. The food was fabulous. We would have been happy after we had the apps.....Hamachi crudo drizzled with truffle oil was outstanding and the duck taco's are not to be missed. For entrees , my wife had the halibut which was delicious and I had the Louisiana Red Fish which had a nice bit of heat. If we were'nt full we would have definitely tried the desserts which had some nice spins on prep !!! Great restaurant to go to before a MJPAC show , but I would go back any time to enjoy a great meal !!!Special Features:
- fun pre-theater spotcadwalladerDined on 9/9/2014Bustling, fun spot for dinner before going to Mayo Performing Arts Center, half a block away. Cool ambiance, hopping bar scene, good service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014This was our second visit. The food was outstanding and the bottle wine suggest by our waiter was superb. We will endeavor to return sooner rather than later.Special Features:
- Nice dining optionDecaturDined on 9/3/2014Hospitable staff and good food in Morristown. Nice bar if you just want to unwind and relax.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to Up Its GameTrishGVIPDined on 9/2/2014A very short walk from vibrant downtown Morristown and the fabulous Mayo Center for the Performing Arts but this restaurant relies way too heavily on location. The food is ho-hum and no effort is made to change up the menu by season or even calendar year. After a number of years you would expect even the most unskilled kitchen to get the staples down but basics like steak and corn are served over seasoned and dried out. Nothing is memorable and nothing is well executed. We have dined here several times hoping that they will finally get it right as we want to like it but from service to drinks to food to droning house music it always comes up short. Seems like no effort is made on any front save for the original investment in a nice space.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was impeccable and menu was fairly solid. Server was one week in and was very un-attentive but Manager was quick to sort out the issues. Remainder of the service was great, and will definitely will return in hopes of giving it 5 stars all around.Special Features:
- food is exquisitely preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014The food, no matter if it's fish, chicken, meat, or duck, is cooked perfectly. I've never had a mediocre meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it use to be...clubquarkDined on 8/16/2014I use to enjoy eating here but each time I go back, the food quality is just bland. The menu has not changed in quite some time and when they do change something on it, they just ruin the better items.
- Consistently greatJamesDined on 8/16/2014We cannot count the number of times we have visited David Todd's, but drinks, food and service have always impressed. This time it was Gray Goose martinis, fresh beet salads, and caramelized scallops and the braised short ribs of beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty night outKittypusVIPDined on 8/13/2014Food was great, service on the ball and nice selection on the menu. I had the beet salad and the scallops both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I thought it would be :(Cla261Dined on 8/12/2014After reading the menu and knowing Morristown for having great little restaurant finds, I have t say I was a bit disappointed. I love cobia but this dish was far from what I have had in other places. Fish should never smell like fish but I let that go. Had I not been with a group of people that I would have been embarrassed to send something back in front of, I would have. Then finding out that the home made lemoncello was not available, well lets just say I will not be back.
- foodieDined on 7/29/2014In a word David Todd's City Tavern is GREAT!!!! The service is wonderful. This time Fred waited on us and he is very efficient and most pleasant. The food is great and the ambiance really nice. This was the second visit and we will go again and again.Special Features:
- All done wellDineFineDined on 7/26/2014Food was well-prepared and tasty, service was very good and ambiance pleasant , a nice evening out with friendsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable Apps!pairof8sVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had a good meal at David Todd's. We sat at the bar to eat once before and made a pronouncement that we decided still held true. Better to load up on the appetizers which were all delicious, and forgo any entrees (not as strong). This time we sat in the dining room and had a very nice meal, but felt the same way. The appetizers were amazing, the entrees not quite at that level. We'll definitely be back though to drink and eat those appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific eveningLchiafulloVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful meal here last Saturday evening. No show at the Mayo PAC, so not as crowded as usual. Loved the opportunity to order a wine flight, and the appetizers (steamed clams in a sherry cream sauce and the salmon spring rolls) were terrific. Main courses were a hit also (pork filet Mignon and the seared scallops). Service was attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, Horrible Food!Foodie824Dined on 7/19/2014My Husband and I recently went to David Todd's, and were greatly disappointed. The good was overlooked, and very salty (and I like salt). Additionally the sauce that can on my fish tastes like cheap melted ice cream. Food aside, I would recommend the bar. The drinks were good, as was the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food ok...clubquarkDined on 7/15/2014Food was just ok...wasn't terrible either. Lively crowd. The service was poor.
- Great placeAP2010VIPDined on 7/12/2014The first few times we came here, we were not thrilled. Their lunch menu was much better than their dinner menu. The service was always great, but the menu had few selections. We decided to try it one more time before we gave up on this spot. We are very glad that we did. The menu was recently changed and the options were much better. They still need to work on their dessert menu, but the appetizers and the entrees were fantastic.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance!SharSharDined on 6/24/2014This was about my 4th time dining here and I have always had a gourmet, delicious dinner with an attentive, efficient wait staff. The selection of food in awesome, very different from the rest of the restaurants in the area. Also love the flights of wine....good chance to taste and compare each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A problemJmayVIPDined on 6/14/2014Fabulous food. Wonderful at lunch. Unfortunately at dinner on a Saturday night the music was so loud that we couldn't hear one another speak. The restaurant was filled to capacity so I don't understand why the music was even needed. Requests to turn it down went unneeded. Ruined what otherwise would have been a enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre ChoicefiktoDined on 6/10/2014Stopped in for dinner before a concert at The Mayo. The server was mindful of the hour and did a good job getting us out on time without rushing. Food was well done, with an unusually wide variety of seafood dishes. Nevertheless, the duck was outstanding. Atmosphere is upscale but casual and they give a 10% discount for theatre goers. I will definitely return next time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- The following 490 reviews are from the David Todd's City Tavern reviews archive.
- Needs work on the menuLuvtennisDined on 6/10/2014The drinks were very good - the food was very overpriced. The tiny portion of mussels had this overpowering garlic sauce on top.Special Features:
- KidZimDined on 5/30/2014Shannon was super as our server, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it, would give another try!RUSHFan0612VIPDined on 5/28/2014I just came by myself one night since I traveled to work in Manhattan via the NJ Transit train through Morristown (Convent Station) that day. It was 3 days before our wedding and my fiance was out running around doing things, so I chose to come and try this place out since there was no dinner being cooked home. I had the Trio of Sliders for an app (to die for) and the Cobia for an entree, which surprisingly was very good and I was impressed. I really enjoyed talking to the bartender and some "regulars" there that night. As I said in the title, I would come again with my wife and give this place a 2nd try on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration LuncheondlbdesignDined on 5/17/2014We had a small party (only 6) but had a wonderful celebration lunch for my son's graduation. The staff was very accomadating as we were there late for lunchtime and the kitchen stayed open to put out fabulous food for us. I would definately reccommend and go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?DrJonDined on 5/13/2014I tried David Todd's with a friend. The hostess who greated us was less than friendly. We each had a hamburger - outstanding!! However, the service was quite amateurish. Two or three servers took care of us but there was confusion. My friend's wine was first served to me and when the server made the switch, it turned out to be the wrong wine. My beer was first poured into my water glass although the beer glass was sitting adjacent. One of the servers poured still water into my water glass instead of using the sparkling water bottle that I'd ordered, etc., etc.
- Great food, terrible servicemjltVIPDined on 5/13/2014went for lunch. No host/hostess. Long wait, forgot our salad, bread and drinks. Yet, the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh...JMM13Dined on 5/3/2014This restaurant is extremely loud. Having a conversation with anyone other than the person sitting directly next to you requires an elevated level of speaking bordering on shouting; my throat was raw the next morning. In addition, the food is eh. I had the Ahi Tuna and it was perhaps the blandest meal I have had since trying my kids' baby food. The Caesar salad was also mediocre at best.
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014I've been to David Todd's a few times for dinner and each time I've had a great experience - with groups of 15, 4, and 2 people. The waiters are very knowledgeable of the menu and make great recommendations. The pommes frites app with cheese fondue is my favorite and the scallops are delicious! Great wine menu and atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great for date NitedateniteDined on 4/29/2014My wife and I recently went to David Todd's for dinner prior to seeing a show at the PAC center in Morristown. We had a great time enjoying specialty cocktails and a sampling of appetizers. It really made for a perfect evening. We sat in the lounge vs. the dining room. It was happy hour, so discounted prices on great cocktails. Also, if you have tickets for a show that night, they give a 10% discount on your tab, which is kinda cool. The food, drinks and service were excellent. The single malt scotch list is good, wine list looked good and the Signature Cocktails were really great. My wife had a Double Dirty Martini w/ blue cheese stuffed olives and I had a gin fizz cocktail with a sprig of tyme...Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Food!happydinerDined on 4/28/2014Oysters and Branzino were excellent. Desert was also amazing. I had been to David Todd's a few years ago and remembered the food being good but this time it was worth writing about. I already told 3 different friends that we must go there together. And though you are going for the food, the overall experience is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Relaxing Dining Experience!GraceDined on 4/28/2014As Morristown celebrates "Restaurant Week" we decided to try City Tavern since they were offering a "special menu" with fixed priced dining. It was an enjoyable Monday evening out ( I don't know if they're opened every Monday or just this Monday for restaurant week.) We dined in the bar/lounge area and which had a casual, modern atmosphere and for dinner we ordered the salmon with black beans and it was delicious! First course, we shared a toss salad and fried calamari both items were very good. For dessert, we had one yogurt & berries (Not so good) and one chocolate bread pudding with ice cream; bread pudding was yummie! We would definitely return again!
- Terrificnjdevil1VIPDined on 4/26/2014We have been coming here for quite sometime and are never disappointed. This time was no exception. Appy's of beet salad, short rib perrogies, and mussels were outstanding. We all had fish for dinner, halibut, hamachi, and cobra. Each was terrific, but the cobra was extraordinary. A restaurant you should not miss one of the best.Special Features: