David Paul's Island Grill
900 Front Street
Suite A 101
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
David Paul's Island Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidpaulsislandgrill.com/
- Phone: 8086623000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 7 days a week, 5:30 pm - close Bar/Lounge: 7 days a week, 5:00 pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Paul Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: David Paul's Island Grill can design a customized menu for parties of from two to 200.
- Private Party Facilities: David Paul's Island Grill can accommodate up to 48 guests in our handsome private dining room.
- Special Events: The Diva Club, benefit for Women Helping Women- 3rd Saturday of every month. Vineyard Dining Series, featuring multi-course dinner paired w/ wines from all over the world, & much more! Visit us online to read about other events.. davidpaulsislandgrill.com
A word from David Paul's Island Grill
David Paul's Island Grill is Maui's most anticipated and exciting new restaurant. Multi-award-winning Chef David Paul Johnson is back in Lahaina with a stunning new oceanfront restaurant. Offering his New Island Style cuisine and legendary service, guests may enjoy several distinct dining areas including the Sunset Terrace with unobstructed ocean views and a front row seat for Maui's unparalleled sunsets. David Paul's market-driven, ever-changing menu utilizes Island-fresh products. A unique wine storage inside the restaurant allows guests to choose their own bottles. David Paul's Island Grill is Maui's new MUST-GO destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Paul's Island Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Chef's tasting menuRichBVIPDined on 8/29/2012Didn't realize until the plates arrived that the chef's tasting menu wasn't sharing two dishes in each course, but we each had two dishes of each course (hence the "duo" appellation). The amuse buche, first, second and intermezzo all came out so fast, we felt a little rushed. Second course was a crab cake and a roasted beets salad. Both very good, although the crab cake was a bit starchy. Thirty minute wait before the next course, filet mignon and duck confit, both good, but we couldn't finish them. We had finished our bottle of wine, so the waiter brought complimentary tasting of red wine for the meat course and champagne for dessert. The creme brulee was creamy but the sugar topping was very thin. Minor glitches, overall very gSpecial Features:
- I love using OpenTable, thankdiningoutDined on 8/26/2012I love using OpenTable, thank you./ A little disappointed in the food. Servers were very nice.Special Features:
- Spectacular food and service.DondeMisChurroVIPDined on 8/24/2012My wife and I always come here on our trips to Maui. The food is fantastic time and time again. The snapper dish that won the Maui Onion Festival is one of the best fish dishes that I have ever had. The food at this restaurant is up there with Merriman's, Pacifico's and Mama's.Special Features:
- We had a table on the enclosedSistersDined on 8/22/2012We had a table on the enclosed patio which gave us a wonderful view of another beautiful Maui sunset. Servers were friendly and knowledgeable, and provided top-notch attention to us all evening. We both had the daily catch special which was indeed special! Small wine list, but the variety and content were very nice and more than adequate for our tastes. The dessert, a mixed berry pie, was simply too good to describe within the limitations of the English language.Special Features:
- Indifferent service on notsnowmanDined on 8/19/2012Indifferent service on not a very busy night. Food was just okay and not worth what they were charging. Had a much better experience the last time I was there even though they were really busy.
- Outstanding food on a beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/13/2012Outstanding food on a beautiful beach in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- Definitely a good findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2012Really nice experience- great food and service. Our server was extremely friendly and we loved everything we ordered!Special Features:
- Several years ago when DavidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2012Several years ago when David Pauls was in its former location and partnered with the Lahaina Grill we had two amazing meals there. The restaurant has moved -- though the location is still lovely -- but he is no longer partnered with the Grill and the food has suffered. There were four of us at dinner and we were all unhappy with our meals. I am very sad to say that we will not return there on our next trip to Maui.
- Overall, a good experience.GTADinerVIPDined on 8/9/2012Overall, a good experience. The food was good, service was very attentive and the view was great (we had an outdoor table right next to the street so you could see the beach right across the street, and watch the sunset!).Special Features:
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2012Always a wonderful experience. Not much more expensive than the mega-eateries which line Lahaina and Kaanapali, and so much better. We have always had an excellent experience at David Paul's.Special Features:
- We were graciously receivedSFGIRLVIPDined on 8/5/2012We were graciously received and well tended during our memorable evening at David Paul's. The food was excellent and the service by Westin unrushed. Complimentary amuse bouche and a sorbet palate cleanser added to the overall upscale experience. Champagne was sent by the Manager in celebration of our anniversary. First Class all the way and a must dining experience in Maui!Special Features:
- Food was fine, even tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2012Food was fine, even tasty on occasion, but dated. Nothing really stood out. The same can be said for the restaurant in general. The service was very nice- everyone was friendly, helpful, informed and accomodating, so that's a definitate plus. And of course, a beautiful view from the outdoor seating area.Special Features:
- Great restaurant. SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012Great restaurant. Sunset view is spectacular. Food is top notchSpecial Features:
- hate spending 130.00 for oneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2012hate spending 130.00 for one hour and the place being empty. place is beautiful but probably too far from where the rest of action is.Special Features:
- Terrible Service. Go to Ruth'sChrisHappyFIshVIPDined on 7/23/2012Service was terrible. Server made excuses for every discrepency and advertisement. Web-site is not clear on prices. Manager acted as a puppet for our server. Very dissapointing.
- Definitely go backLloydVIPDined on 7/20/2012On vacation here and went back twice in one week. Duck and lobster ravioli were great!Special Features:
- We had some really nice dinnersShellybDined on 7/13/2012We had some really nice dinners while in Maui and this one was very good, just didn't top the list, can't really point to anything specifically. I guess maybe just a lack of flavor nothing really jumped out at us. It was a nice dinner, our server was good and knowledgable, but every now and then would just disappear, so dinner took a bit longer then we would have liked.Special Features:
- The Best on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/11/2012We always look forward to returning to David Paul's. It truly is the best culinary experience on the island. We are returning tomorrow night!Special Features:
- The View is spectacular atPaulSVIPDined on 7/10/2012The View is spectacular at David Paul's. The wine list was filled with some of our favorites and we settled on a Napa Cabernet. My wife ordered the lobster ravioli and it was superb. I ordered the onion soup which was unique and very tasty. My main dish was the filet mignon and crab legs. It was excellent in both it's presentation and preparation . The server seemed a bit disinterested in us but the rest of the staff was attentive and courteous. We will definitely return when we come back to Maui.Special Features:
- Excellent, semi-open kitchen,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2012Excellent, semi-open kitchen, knowledge service staff. Some of the finest food I have had in many years. Brest rounded wine listSpecial Features:
- Great food, poor serviceSuzrickyDined on 7/6/2012Food was fantastic, service just fair. I felt like we were left alone with no attention paid to us.Special Features:
- The best food that we ateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012The best food that we ate on our 11-day Honeymoon on Oahu and Maui. Menu choices are excellent. The prices are worth it for an excellent meal across the street from the ocean. While most restaurants might rest on the fact that they have great ocean views, David Paul and his staff have the food to match the view!Special Features:
- The food was excellent, asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2012The food was excellent, as we were lead to believe by reading other reviews. But our salad choice was unavailable and other menu items were also unavailable. Pricy based on not being to able to deliver their menu.Special Features:
- A bit overpriced for whatMeleDined on 6/28/2012A bit overpriced for what you get. Our salad was taste-less, no flavor at all, just oily and $13.50. The Maui onion fish entree was good, but not sure it was worth the $36.00 price tag.
- nice restaurant but did notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2012nice restaurant but did not live up to its reputation Reasonably priced for that level of restaurantSpecial Features:
- We were in Maui for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2012We were in Maui for our anniversary and David Paul's was recommended to me by my boss. I'm so glad I listened to his advice. We had an outstanding meal (chef's tasting menu), the wine list was great, and the service was fantastic. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- We had a terrible dinner Thursday,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2012We had a terrible dinner Thursday, June 21. You could tell the dishes had potential, but the kitchen biffed the food bigtime! I started with the beet salad, and it was so over dressed you could not taste the truffles that were supposed to lift this dish to sublime. Next course was the carpaccio, and same problem, they slopped so much dressing/sauce on the dish, the flavor levels were over-run. My daughter had such a bad dish she she didn't eat it, and my wife asked for a clean preparation of simply grilled chicken and greens and the waiter looked at her like she was speaking a foreign language. The chicken came out looking like it was cooked on a flat grill with a brick on it. It was overcooked and under seasoned. Waiter was terrible.Special Features:
- David Paul's on paper seemsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/18/2012David Paul's on paper seems like it is set to just "nail it", but while the menu shows excitement, the entree's fall flat. One guest had the snapper of the night and it was the prized gem of the Hawaiian fish, Opakapaka and somehow it was a fishy piece of fish. The majority of the table went for David Paul's person favorite, the peppered NY strip. While everyone's meat was cooked properly, the peppercorn sauce was all but absent. No one found a single green peppercorn on their plate. Our app's were enjoyable, but just good enough. The patio seating saved the night along with a noteable wine list with reasonable prices.Special Features:
- This was first meal on myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012This was first meal on my recent Maui vacation and it did not disappoint. Everything was fantastic, from the service to the view. I would definitely rate this high on my return list.Special Features:
- Great Maui diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2012Extraordinary! Great appetizers, dinner and service. And the sunset view was fabulous.For appetizers my wife and I had pork pot stickers and Buratta goat cheese - they make the cheese. After these items I thought it would be downhill because both were great. For dinner I ordered two half orders of seafood, this option is only availzble on seafood. It costs a couple dollars more per plate but you get to experience a couple great dinners. Shrimp with Firecracker rice was superb as was the grilled snapper with onions - never had onions with fish before.My wife ordered the Pacific salmon BLT style - bacon with fish, this was the best of the three! I've never seen bacon paired with fish.Wonderful experience, highly recommend it.Special Features:
- The space is the best in Lahaina,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2012The space is the best in Lahaina, but the food lacks originality and is just mediocre.
- Perfect food, impeccable serviceskimanVIPDined on 6/12/2012Superb food-the daily fish, tequila shrimp and salads/sides were impeccable. Dining on the lanai as the sun set was truly memorable. Chef Paul cooked, but found time to come and chat at length with us, which was a treat. This is a guy who knows how to cook, and who knows the meaning of cutomer service. He personally was watching to be sure that line cooks, servers, and greeters were all on their game-not in an obnoxious way, but more like a fine, nurturing coach. I have never seen anything like it, and it was cool! Back to the food-the reason we came, and the final arbiter of a fine restaurant. Each bite was...well...perfect. Do not miss David Paul's Island Grill when you visit Maui.Special Features:
- What a find! This beautiful,BillyLaLaDined on 6/10/2012What a find! This beautiful, ocean-view dining venue in Lahaina, Maui was a delicious, delightful dining experience. Splendidly fresh flavors, combined in intriguing ways and cooked to perfection were served by a knowing staff in a lovely room. Can't wait to let family and traveling friends know about this place!Special Features:
- Loved everything about ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/9/2012Loved everything about our evening. We were celebrating a special birthday which was noted by the hostess. David Paul stopped by our table to greet us and our server brought us complimentary champagne.Special Features:
- Food and service were 5 star.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2012Food and service were 5 star. I would definitely recommend to others!Special Features:
- Another incredible meal atouttolunchVIPDined on 6/1/2012Another incredible meal at David Paul's. It never disappoints!Special Features:
- We come to Maui twice a yearSehlbysmomDined on 5/26/2012We come to Maui twice a year and we always enjoy going to David Paul's while we are on our vacation. The service was really outstanding and our server was extremely helpful, even suggesting I could "split" two entrees when I was undecided over which one to choose. I highly recommend this outstanding restaurant!Special Features:
- Lovely experience. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2012Lovely experience. Food was imaginative and great. Service was excellent. Guitarist "Wolf" was perfect for the setting. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- One Of The Top 2 in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2012One of the best dining spots on the Island of Maui! If you like Mama's Fish House you'll love David Pauls. Thank you Zagats for the amazing lead...Special Features:
- Service started incrediblyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/18/2012Service started incredibly slow but then picked up. I think our server was overwhelmed with an event that was being held in the restaurant. Everyone seemed to pitch in which lead to the improvement. The scallops were excellent however the bacon salmon was just ok. The salmon itself was wonderful with the bacon crusted on it however the spinach was just too oily for my liking.