David Burke Kitchen
23 Grand Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
David Burke Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidburkekitchen.com/
- Phone: (212) 201-9119
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday thru Friday 7:00am-10:00am
Lunch: Monday thru Friday 12:00noon-3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday 10:00am-3:00pm, Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: seven days 5:00pm-11:00pm
Treehouse menu all times in between, closes at 1:00am Sunday thru Wednesday, 2:00am Thursday thru Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Chris Shea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Join us for our sumptuous Sunday Night Supper series. (hint, hint: make it a dinner date...) our three-course $35 menu is filled with all of Chef Burke’s fabulous favorites—from his addictive tomato bisque (with grilled cheese croutons, we might add) to his dry-aged prime rib.
Join us any day of the week upstairs at our Treehouse Bar for $5 Burgers and drink specials. Open at 5PM, the Treehouse bar serves select dining options from David Burke Kitchen and offers its own cocktail and wine selections. The Treehouse Bar is great for starting off your weekend or grabbing a drink after work! Stop in for any sports event and have a beer in this perch overlooking 6th avenue.
A word from David Burke Kitchen
Critically acclaimed chef David Burke focuses on locally-sourced, modern American food presented in the whimsical style that is his trademark. His menu emphasizes the highest quality vegetables, sustainable fish, beef and game birds. The restaurant’s spaces are designed by James Beard Award-winner Thomas Schlesser. The Treehouse Bar features seating that offers a birds-eye view of the bustling street below. There, you can enjoy handcrafted cocktails with pizzas, flatbreads, spreads and homemade sweet and savory snacks. Downstairs, the loft-like space is divided into a bar and dining room. The open kitchen and glass-enclosed wine cave allow guests a peek behind the scenes. Burke’s theatrical style is reflected in the carving station, where meats are carved and whole-roasted fish, lobster and casseroles are plated in the center of the dining room. David Burke Kitchen’s unparalleled outdoor space, opening in time for spring, has its own bar and seating for 130.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Burke Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
378 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (219)special occasion (138)great for outdoor dining (125)good for groups (109)neighborhood gem (104)great for lunch (103)romantic (84)great for brunch (80)hot spot (78)notable wine list (54)scenic view (40)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (14)Show More
- Awesome brunchsonhomeu01VIPDined on 11/16/2014We took friends visiting from Austin for Sunday brunch and we all loved our food. The portions were huge and the food was delicious. We tried the bread selection (everything was excellent and this could have been our meal alone) as well as pancakes, chorizo and garlicky spinach benedict, lobster benedict, and 'legs and eggs' (fried chicken and eggs). The staff was attentive with tea and coffee refills (at no extra charge). It was very quiet as we were there at 11 am, but it got slowly filled up as time went by. We ate our leftovers the next evening and everything was still so fresh and tasty. This is definitely a notable brunch spot, I highly recommend it! We will definitely go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stands up to time.DiningWith2VIPDined on 11/15/2014Haven't been in at least 2 years and it is still as delicious and unique as I remember it. Bison Tartare, Scallops, Monkfish and Liver in Green Curry, Bacon Apple Crisp. Nothing even approached a "miss." Service was friendly. Drinks were delicious. Hopefully, I'll remember to go back sooner this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soho go toBestzellerVIPDined on 11/13/2014After visiting at least 6 times, the is one of the most delicious and reliable spots downtown. The ambiance is lovely, the service is fantastic, and the special events should not be missed if you can make them! Well done!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot & quite deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2014The trend of hotel restaurants has generally resulted in overpriced mediocre food. Not so at DB's Kitchen. While the prices aren't cheap, the food was very well prepared, the presentation was visually appealing and aspects of dishes, in particular the lobster leg protruding from a dumpling, and the taste was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Find in SOHO.UnhappydinerDined on 11/7/2014We were looking for a new sport for lunch in or near SOHo. We found David Burke's and we were delighted. Very good food and service. We will go again.Special Features:
- Great dinner ExperienceJP2011Dined on 11/3/2014I have a friend who came out of town for a visit; and was trying to impress her with a great meal..... She just love it!!! Every single dish well presented, well seasoning; was amazing how much effort the chef put in each dish. I felt in heaven from the beginning to the end. I definitely coming back again! <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at bestTravellingwithRDined on 11/2/2014I had such great hopes for brunch here - but realized I should have stayed at the hotel. The food was ok - the service was extremely slow. The ambience not special at all. This is not a place for foodies and I simply do not understand the good reviews.
- DisappointedXmanDined on 11/1/2014This was my firsts time back to DBK in about 2 years and overall had to say I was disappointed. First, I found the ambiance lacking. Music was loud and didn't fit with the vibe of the restaurant. It actually bordered on abrasive. Second and more importantly I found the food mediocre. I had the short ribs and found them somewhat overcooked and stringy. My companion's pork was overly breaded. In general we found the food lacked inspiration. Finally we found the service, while attentive, was rushed. We were never just left to relax. Someone was usually asking for an order or clearing plates or accidentally serving us someone else's food. Sad to say this was my last visit to DBK.
- Lovely restaurant...BaileyphlVIPDined on 10/31/2014I chose David Burke as a special late night dining spot following my photography shoot of the West Village Halloween parade. It seemed to have great reviews on Open Table. The hostess was quite nice and even offered to pull two tables together to accommodate backpack and camera equipment for me and my companion. After two hours working, I just wanted to relax with a martini and have a slow dinner. However, I felt the service was a bit brusque and rushed.Special Features:
- Few frustrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Food was superb and wine list full of US and French (few New Worlds). Music was Michael Jackson (cd played twice ) and my main frustration was we were served by/ interacted with a total of 8 staff. Seemed nobody was in full control. Front of desk forgot our coats which surprised us given the restaurant was relatively quiet. Wonderfully laid out space and relaxed feeling. Sort your staff (or get rid of half of them) and finer detail to service and you will improve ones dining service.Special Features:
- Great nyc restaurantBillNyc84Dined on 10/31/2014It does not disappoint. 4 star menu. One of the best pork entrees I have ever had. Service was not bad but disappointing in comparison to the food served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for a special occasiondroroDined on 10/30/2014My husband and I went to David Burke Kitchen to celebrate our anniversary. I think if we had stopped in for a normal dinner--and if the prices were cut in half--my review would be different. We were hoping for an amazing, "fit for foodies" special occasion dinner, but what we got was a crowded bar with mediocre service and over-salted food. The staff was kind enough to let us know that the dining room was closed for a private party the night of our anniversary. They said we would have a "romantic table upstairs" where the atmosphere would be intimate and "anniversary appropriate." What we actually had was a table near an open door in a noisy bar. The shares were the best part of the meal (ricotta + lobster toast). The mains were so salty.
- XtinaDined on 10/28/2014The treehouse roofdeck was really cool. The appetizer of Ricotta spread with jam was delicious. Main course food was just OK. Some foodies in the group were not thrilled. We had the sea bass, the venison and the ribe eye. I would probably come again for the atmosphere only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedsinderfellaDined on 10/25/2014Had dinner here Saturday 10/25... Staff was helpful and friendly.. our server while attentive to an extent and cordial seemed to forget to put in our order for appetizers that he recommended. While we weren't in a great rush as it was a get to know you first date, as time went on we realized that our food was nowhere to be found and once locating our waiter he seemed to have never sent the order as he had to ask what it was we ordered. The food quality and taste itself was nothing that would make me come back again, which is a shame because i did love the ambiance of the space.
- David Burke Kitchen is a must!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 10/18/2014We celebrated my mother's trip to NYC with family and everyone was served a perfectly delicious meal. At most large family dinners in my experience, there's always a problem with the food. NO SO at DAVID BURKE KITCHEN! The service was sublime; the food extraordinarily melting in our mouths and we were happy! We didn't stop with dinner, but sampled many desserts, each one a delight that surprised us! We can't wait to return! I was happy because my goal is to turn the majority of my family members into foodies and this was a grand step forward!Special Features:
- YUM!waltVIPDined on 10/17/2014Every bite from start to finish was amazing and memorable. So glad a friend recommended it. There is really not much else to say...the food is SO good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchAcdinnerfan23VIPDined on 10/12/2014Love love dinner here but brunch was sub par. We had to ask for a server to take our drink order but then service picked up. The shirt rib hash was tasty but not much short rib so was disappointed. I love this restaurant for dinner just was sad brunch didn't measure up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDP16Dined on 10/7/2014From the minute we walked in to our departure we were treated like royalty. Perfect seasonal menu with beverages to match. General manager E Thomas and staff could not have been more welcoming and gracious. The outdoor seating was magnificent with a breathtaking view. Thank you E Thomas for making a once in a life celebration a lifelong memory. I will definitely return and recommend to all!Special Features:
- Trip to NYCThefallen1975VIPDined on 10/5/2014When my partner and I decided to take a trip to New York, I knew I had to find a great place for brunch one day while we were there. I had a few places in mind but decided on David Burke kitchen. I'm glad I did. Try the bread basket but get one of each of the choices, they were divine, but be warned, it's a lot of food. The lobster Benedict with old bay bear aisle was succulent and rich and flavorful. Go after 12 on Sunday's because they can't sell liquor before then and brunch without alcohol is just a sad breakfast.Special Features:
- Reservations weren't outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We arrived for a reserved table and were informed it was not outside, which was an hour and 20 minute wait. Disappointing way to start the meal, as it wasn't clear on Open Table you had to make a separate reservation for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I enjoyed eating here on our anniversary. We split the Ricotta app, she had the Salmon, I had the Steak, both were cooked to perfection, and we split the Angry Baked Potato which included a tableside preparation with the toppings. Pricey (~$80/person) but it is NYC; we didn't feel like this was out of place or unreasonable, especially considering the great food. We would be interested in visiting other David Burke locations, we would definitely like to come back here, and would recommend this restaurant highly to our friends and family.Special Features:
- worth every pennynomnominnycDined on 9/27/2014the food here was like few things I've ever tasted before. went with a big group -- split almost every starter and app, plus a few entrees. it was maybe the most expensive dinner I've ever had, but totally worth it. I'll remember that meal for a long time to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/27/2014this place was fabulous!!! great food, service and ambianceSpecial Features:
- Recomend itAferreiranetoVIPDined on 9/26/2014JsyyjjyjyjyjyjyjjyjxjyyjynnyxjnxnxnxnxnxnxxnjxjxjxjxjxjxjxxxjxjxjhxjxjxjjxxjxjSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoHo GemKarateDined on 9/22/2014(If you already have this from my first attempt, please ignore, otherwise throw it all away). After Babbo and Ed's, David Burke needed to be very good, and indeed it was. My family elected for the comfort food, however they were very impressed by the quality. I went more "haute cuisine", and had the 3 course special - less than $40 is outstanding value. I couldn't go past the gazpacho (class), lobster roll (excellent) and fruit with sorbet (perfect finish). What a treasure, and worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible servicechjmu01Dined on 9/19/2014A girlfriend of mine and I went to David Burke on Friday night for dinner, and while the food was great, the service was sub-par at best. We sat outside and we were immediately greeted my the Sommelier and she was extremely friendly and helpful. But the wait staff took about 12 minutes to come over to our table, and then barely returned back to ever check on us, refill our water or wine, or ask if we needed anything. We had to flag them down if we needed anything, and the restaurant was practically empty (even at 8pm on a Friday) so there was no reason for the service to be so terrible as the place was practically empty.Special Features:
- Thank youanniversarycelebrationDined on 9/17/2014We celebrated our anniversary at David Burke Kitchen and the staff made it incredibly memorable. Each staff member made it a point to stop by and wish us congratulations and managed to do so without being intrusive. We had incredible service, great food, delicious staff recommendations, and a very romantic ambience. We highly recommend David Burke Kitchen, and we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Went to brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Very few patrons and plenty of staff. Horrible serivce. No one greeted us upon sitting at our table and waitress acted surprised we were there. Food was good not outstanding. Disappointing Told manager and he did apologize and comped our drinks
- ExcellentTheprofessorDined on 9/13/2014This is in my top 5 for sure. Founding Farmers in DC has a slight edge but it's close!Special Features:
- Love2dineDined on 9/13/2014Staff could be more knowledeable abnd attentive instead of talking to each other. Kept having to ask for water. Food is good but not Magical David burke
- Great RooftopSvenDined on 9/12/2014Great rooftop patio with very good service. Lobster roll was good. Fries were some of the best I have had in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ridicoulous wine pricesAWW24GDined on 9/5/2014The Food was very good and also the service. But the wine prices are by far to high for the offered wines. Even in Zurich - the city with probably the highest wine prices at all - have I never seen such high wine-by-glass/bottle prices. Just be aware of this...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd ExperienceSak1VIPDined on 9/1/2014Our experience was strange and we felt odd throughout the meal. We were the only ones there in the entire restaurant until another patron arrived about 20 minutes later. The server got our order incorrect. The food was not worth the price we paid and was grossly overpriced. Disappointing experience for a David Burke restaurant. I will not return.
- Fabulous all aroundMPFoxVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was fabulous from the peanut butter grapes wrapped in bacon with a maple glaze, to the cauliflower steak, and short ribs, to the monkey bread that says it is for 2 but we had left overs with 4 sharing! The service was outstanding - our waiter Michael knew the menu in detail and made wonderful recommendations. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerAngieDined on 8/29/2014Great and beautiful restaurant. Amazing terracce. Octopus delicious. Lobster BLT good. Hamburger good. Wine list too expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky1Dined on 8/25/2014Ambiance very good. Food average. Wine prices are ridiculous. Embarrassed to bring my friend.Special Features:
- Great food, long-time comingappellativeDined on 8/25/2014Went for lunch on a weekday. Loved the outdoor seating and the food was delicious, but took almost 30 minutes for us to receive our food. Had we not ordered gazpacho, an undoubtedly-premade ricotta appetizer, and a salad perhaps the wait could have been justified, but given the nature of those foods it was surprising how long it took. With that said, was not disappointed by the food, was all delicious. Also, you won't regret getting the jalepeno fries.Special Features:
- Foodie DelightTheBluesDined on 8/25/2014The food at David Burke is truly an experience and delight. The "Treehouse" or outdoor dining is very nice, well put together. Perfect for company lunch, romantic date, group outing. Complements to the chef for keeping a group of 15 and 10, orders straight and each plate delightful. The service though needs a slight bit more attention. Sitting out on in the sun requires a bit more rounds of ice.Special Features:
- Fun and CasualthenyloversDined on 8/24/2014I was very pleasantly surprised with David Burke's kitchen. I went in for brunch with my husband and we were delighted. The ambiance is beautiful, very cool and perfect for a summer day. The food is also divine, although servings tend to be a bit on the big side - which for me means I don't get to try different things. Drinks were very good as well, if you like boozy brunches. As we were sitting there, we had families, well informed tourists and groups of other younger people sitting, everyone having a good time.Special Features:
- PearlzDined on 8/21/2014I have eaten here several times and it is consistently good. The only reason the service is less than 5 star is that it can be a little slow. Just have another sip of your drink!Special Features: