David Burke Kitchen - The Garden
23 Grand Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
David Burke Kitchen - The Garden
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidburkekitchen.com/
- Phone: 2122019119x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00; Bar Menu: 11:00 - 12:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Chris Shea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: David Burke Kitchen offers off premise catering. We can travel anywhere: Offices, apartments, summer homes, schools, catering venues in NYC, and homes in the 5 boroughs, New Jersey, the Hamptons and Connecticut. We take David Burke's signature dishes and treat you to a personalized catering experience. Contact our Director of Private Events, Melissa Bernstein, at email@example.com or 917 746 9688.
- Special Events: The restaurant's multiple spaces offer several different ways to experience Burke's locally sourced, inventive fare for group dining and private events. The airy, rustic dining room offers special prix-fixe menus for group dining, and may also be rented for exclusive use.
David Burke Kitchen can accommodate up to 250 people for a standing cocktail reception and 120 seated.
David Burke Garden’s outdoor oasis can seat up to 120 people and is available for standing cocktail receptions for up to 250 guests.
Our Treehouse Bar can seat up to 40 people and up to 80 people for standing cocktail receptions.
A word from David Burke Kitchen - The Garden
David Burke Garden at The James New York is an unparalleled outdoor space with its own bar and seating for 130. The space, along with the hotel's urban garden, is landscaped with herb beds and flowers by horticulturalist Rebecca Cole and decorated with sculptures made of recycled materials that reflect the rustic, whimsical vibe. Guests can begin a meal at David Burke Garden with snacks and starters such as a tomato, ricotta and eggplant trifle, tuna tartar tacos with whipped avocado and tomato gazpacho with watermelon and rock shrimp. Sandwiches such as the soft-shell crab with salted mango puree, pickled vegetables and Old Bay mayo and the bacon cheddar Kitchen burger with jalapeno fries complement the open-air space, which also features a 14-seat chef's table and private cabanas. At the bar, sun-brewed iced tea is served in glass jugs, with flavors such as Meyer lemon, hibiscus and ginger-peach. David Burke Garden is open weekdays from noon to 10pm and from 11am-10pm on weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
David Burke Kitchen - The Garden - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
David Burke Kitchen - The Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (61)great for brunch (29)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (24)great for lunch (21)neighborhood gem (18)scenic view (17)romantic (14)hot spot (14)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)Show More
- Fickle Foodie44FickleFoodie44Dined on 8/24/2014This was our first time dining here and we were very impressed with the food (Lobster Dumplings, Short Rib Hash & Lobster Benedict), and the atmosphere. Service was okay, but could have been quicker, more attentive. Our only disappointment was that we were seated at a table that did not offer any respite from the sun (some are completely covered with canopies, others have umbrellas, but several have no shade at all) which was fine initially due to some passing clouds, but became increasingly uncomfortable when the sun was beaming directly onto us which literally turned my delicious glass of 40th Anniversary Caymus Cab into a hot toddy within minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarukeniaVIPDined on 8/19/2014I was expecting more flavor in the food... It wasn't bad... It was just eh... The place is very nice for summer dinners, but rather than that, I would definitely not come again for dinner. My recommendation - stick to the drinks.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014David Burke never let you dowm!! Amazing food (as always) and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceChalimaDined on 8/15/2014Service was really great. Our server Jennifer was really helpful since my friend has a dairy allergy. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table43Table43VIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was creative and fabulous all around. We thought the service was great. The manager observed that our dinner came out late (we had not complained or noticed) and he insisted on writing off all the food! Wow! Loved sitting outside and enjoyed the rooftop views! This may now be our favorite DB restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a nice placeOmyraDined on 8/13/2014I loved the garden. The view and ambience was great. The food was outstanding. Try the lobster dumplings! Cocktails were really good and unique too! Will definitely try their indoor setting soon!Special Features:
- Very Goodfpink100Dined on 8/10/2014Our first time at David Burke Kitchen-It was restaurant week. Glad we ordered the Bread Basket. Love the Banana Muffin with infused cream cheese. Truly enjoyed the tasty Lobster Dumplings with excellent sauce. All our guests were very pleased with their main entrees.: Short ribs served in a mini cast iron pan. Chicken breast served on top of a delicious salad. The Legs and Eggs ordered by one of our guests looked very interesting.He was very happy. Excellent fish dishes: Bronzino and wild salmon on a bed of white corn and fava beans…Unique and perfect dessert..just the right amount ... DB Lollipop Tree cheesecake with Bubble Gum whipped cream. Waiter was very friendly. One of the hostesses needs to smile and be more pleasant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New York Spot!LovegoodfoodDined on 8/10/2014Cool place, architectural niche, with a view of the sky to the west. Delicious food. Fun brunch.Special Features:
- Our experience.DebeDined on 8/9/2014The drink prices were ridiculously expensive. We were 5 people. Three loved their food. One hated his. And the other thought. Just ok. At those prices it should all be grear. Service needs much provementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SoHo RestaurantSocialbutterfly809Dined on 8/9/2014Went there to celebrate my birthday before some shopping in SoHo. Great food and atmosphere and perfect pre or post shopping place to dine. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed Quality of Food and ServicetribecalocalVIPDined on 8/6/2014Majority of food we had was great, but several of the hot dishes were lukewarm to cold. And burger wasn't great or special. Our starters were quite good and unusual, but hot dishes were nearly cold. Good but pricey wine list. Service wasn't great. Ordered another round of drinks when our dinner arrived but didn't get our drinks until after we were finished with our dinner. Will try one more time as could have been an off night.Special Features:
- Brunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014During NYC Restaurant Week I was able to try DBKitchen and was seated outside in the tree top garden - a very pretty atmosphere just outside the James Hotel. Brunch was great - good menu and some creative dishes. Not surprised- DB knows how to do it. I took a peak inside the restaurant also charming. A must visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and InnovativeEmilyLikesDined on 8/2/2014Dinner was beyond expectations - the Garden perfectly pairs excellent, creative dishes with laid back service for a comfortable, memorable dining experience. The garden cocktails are a must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceFornomondoVIPDined on 8/1/2014Unsurprisingly, this was a wonderful dining experience. Food, service, atmosphere could not be improved upon. 3 of us went here for restaurant week and had an outstanding meal. The hostess and all wait staff were efficient and pleasant and added to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiters Terrible Table DirtyLuv2dineDined on 7/31/2014Table was sticky and had to wash my arms off, waiter did change placemats though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To spot for melululuvs2eatDined on 7/27/2014Get the crab cake every time!!! It's so lovely, and a great escape from the city noise and bustle. Bring parents, boyfriends, out-of-towners, and colleagues. My companion had the Salmon and the Tartare -- both were perfect. The Hazelnut chocolate cake will curl your toes it's so yummy. Oh, and don't even get me started on the bloody mary -- perfection. This spot is often forgotten because of it's location, but it's a must - do if you want to brunch or lunch before a big day of shopping in Soho or nurse a hangover.Special Features:
- AmazingkbnyVIPDined on 7/24/2014Everything we had was fantastic from the bucket of grapes, pickled carrots and tiny bread sticks that they brought in lieu of traditional bread basket to the Arnold Palmer Semifreddo & Hazelnut Crunch Bar desserts! In between the salmon and brazen were perfect - most amazing - only $8 for sparkling water. Excellent Restaurant Week find. The view from the Garden is wonderful - so nice to eat outside without being on street listening to (& smelling exhaust from) trucks whizzing by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter not attentivenonalcoholicsDined on 7/24/2014Our group does not drink. This immediately made a noticeable difference in the service. Not right! Non alcoholics should be treated equally.Special Features:
- good stuffnomadfoodieDined on 7/22/2014Went for restaurant week. Apps and mains were as expected; some classics some inventive foodie-esque cuisine. Good but not wow. I order the shortrib - it could have used some more seasoning. Dessert was lack luster. Definitely worth a try just not memorable. Go and enjoy the great outdoor space and yummy food.Special Features:
- food has gone downhillJBBBVIPDined on 7/12/2014the food used to be great at this beautiful location, but in the years since it has opened, i have been increasingly disappointed...the menu sounds delicious, and once was, but now the execution is poorSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2014great service and good food. Went for brunch and will definitely go back - we had the PB & J French Toast (so good), Leg and Eggs, deviled eggs and the banana bread muffin (definitely a favorite)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rushed, uninspiring dinner.bastabobVIPDined on 7/5/2014I was looking forward to dining here. While the food was satisfactory (not special in any way whatsoever), the services left much to be desired. We had ordered a bottle of wine, and food was brought out before the wine was presented. Then, as soon as you finished with one plate, it was whisked away, only to be replaced immediately with the next, leaving the diner no time to enjoy the wine or relax before the next course. I hate dining like that, and because of that will never return to this restaurant. PS - there were plenty of open tables so it was not like they needed ours for another seating. This is not the place to go for fine dining. It might be fine for a quick bite, or a burger, but that is not why we were there.Special Features:
- Not worth itmarkgnjVIPDined on 6/30/2014Way too expensive for what you get. Portion sizes are small and there was no wow factor with anything that was served.
- Great Brunchlove4foodDined on 6/29/2014One of the best brunches I have had in NYC. Been here twice. Extensive wine menu, great ambiance, excellent service & very tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space, bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2014I have been to David Burke on the UES and loved it many times. I was so excited for all of the items I ordered and not one of them was remarkable. Every single item we ordered, we commented on how it was under-seasoned and lacked flavor. I mean who can order fresh ricotta and not want to finish it all.Special Features:
- Total Let DownmacappaDined on 6/27/2014Very disappointed. First off, We had reservations for 6 people and they put 3 people on a bench made for 2....not so comfortable. Second the cheese burger came out with the cheese and the rest of the condiments on a separate plate for sharing. Just a plate of cold wet cheddar, surrounded by wilted lettuce and huge slabs of onions... Everything else was just "fine", nothing great... the wine list was a bit pricey in comparison to the menu. Personally I wouldn't return. Hopefully David Burke will step up his game, cause the outdoor space in the garden is fantastic!Special Features:
- Nice Outdoor spacebabywongDined on 6/1/2014Great outdoor space for brunch. They were able to accommodate 1 toddler and 1 infant in stroller, although prob difficult when it got busier as the space is not really child friendly. Food was average, there was a private event inside that was a really nice space. Service was good.Special Features:
- BuenaVIPDined on 5/27/2014DAVID BURKE NEVER LETS YOU DOWN, DELICIOUS FRESH FOOD PREPARED TO PERFECTION!Special Features:
- Outdoor DiningDoc255VIPDined on 5/20/2014The food was good although the portions were small. The experience would be very ordinary if not for the unique outdoor experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor SpaceWillowVIPDined on 5/17/2014Went for a Saturday brunch. Was a beautiful day. Had lobster eggs benedict. Enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great Atmospherestarbnd78VIPDined on 5/11/2014Dining experience was interesting. The food was amazing! The Chefs are skilled; however, the timing was erratic. Items came 1 by 1 . An appetizer would arrive; the next would arrive a few minutes later, we were not sharing. Everything that hit the table was delicious! As for the service, our waitress (who was perfectly lovely) just couldn't get it together. She may have been new? We ordered a round of drinks and before those drinks made it to the table our appetizer had come and gone. Actually, only one glass of wine made it... 5min later she asked if we were missing anything. Yes, 2 other (already ordered Glasses of wine.) Our entrees came and then the rest of the wine. Dessert was delicious!Special Features:
- Great garden, ok foodRL1943VIPDined on 5/11/2014The garden setting is great, fresh flowers bushes, multiple levels so you feel in a garden if the weather is good. The appetizers were great, tasty, attractive ,intense flavor. The main course was just ok. Salmon was average. Scallops over pork belly was and tasted fatty. Neighbors had the chicken which looked very good. Desert was poor. The chocolate ice-cream lollipops had were fatty and flat, same with the raspberry or rhubarb crisp. Presentation was great but taste was fatty & flat. Service was very slow at first but improved. Staff was very friendly. The service was slow/Special Features:
- Urban OasissohomamaDined on 5/11/2014This green roof top spot is a great break from the usual city hustle. Service was attentive and courteous, when we asked to move tables we were accommodated with a smile. Food was fantastic. Took my mom for Mother's Day brunch, will be taking hubby back for date night soon.Special Features:
- Good Food Poor ServiceNoWineButLoveFoodDined on 5/9/2014Took my girlfriend there for dinner. Nice ambience. Lot of space but they crowd tables close together. No privacy. Food was good. I don't drink alcohol. Server's attitude became very frosty when I gave back the wine list. He ushered us out in 45 minutes. The shortest dinner I have ever had in an up-scale restaurant.
- The following 49 reviews are from the David Burke Kitchen - The Garden reviews archive.
- A wonderful $25 prix fixeCJWNYCVIPDined on 10/4/2013A wonderful $25 prix fixe lunch special...and, a real treat in the garden!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentsottovoiceVIPDined on 9/20/2013Nice weather coupled with good food and good company made for a nice mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2013This place is a must. Great setting and the usual amazing fare from DB Kitchen. Love it.Special Features:
- Hotel RestaurantIggy227VIPDined on 8/31/2013This place easily has the worst restaurant design, mainly because it is located in a hotel. It looks like a cafeteria in college!! Awful.
- Make sure to visit The GardenMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 8/26/2013We loved it there. The food is great. The fixed price lunch is a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor escapeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2013The Garden is an ideal spot on a sunny day. Tucked above street level and surrounded by greenery, it feels secluded from everything but the din of NY traffic. The menu is sophisticated and fit for foodies.Special Features: