David Burke Fishtail
135 E 62nd Street
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
David Burke Fishtail
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishtaildb.com/
- Phone: (212) 754-1300
- Hours of Operation:
Sat & Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm
Sat 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
Mon-Sat 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Sun 12:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Group and private dining can be accommodated from 12 – 150. Our culinary team can customize your menu to meet your every need. Email email@example.com to learn more.
A word from David Burke Fishtail
Celebrated Chef David Burke unveils David Burke Fishtail, a new innovative seafood concept on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Located in a historic townhouse, the bi-level eatery combines casual late-night dining with a casual bar in the ground floor bar with traditional sit-down service in the main second floor dining room. Fishtail offers the freshest fare – provided by Litchfield Farms as well as their own company-owned fishing boat out of Brielle, NJ. Known for its sustainable seafood, Litchfield Farms compliments Burke’s & Hara’s beliefs in providing diners with the highest quality ingredients that do not compromise on integrity. Together, they have created a menu of 85 percent sustainable seafood which is coded with levels of authenticity for guests’ reference. The 120 seat restaurant is located at 135 East 62nd St. between Park & Lexington Aves.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Burke Fishtail reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)special occasion (114)neighborhood gem (97)romantic (60)notable wine list (50)great for lunch (37)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (35)good for groups (33)great for brunch (29)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- My BEST FOOD ExperienceBestFoodDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was my first restaurant week experience and it was pleasant from the moment i walked in the door. We arrived earlier then our reservation and was seated in 5 minutes. The waiter was excellent he explained everything clearly to me and was very friendly. The waitress was excellent too she came around and asked us how we were enjoying everything. The food was EXCELLENT i wish i could shake all the chefs hands all my dishes were delicious and fresh. I look forward to going to this restaurant on other occasions now, even though the price is on the high end its worth it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kcflkcflDined on 8/5/2014Food was tasty and service professional and efficient. Extra charge for some items because of Restaurant Week could have been avoided with smaller portions but value was good.Special Features:
- stale bread is not a good start...sushigirlVIPDined on 8/4/2014disappointing restaurant week experience... I understand they want to cut corners for restaurant week, but stale popovers?? ugh.
- My Cheers PlaceHarlemhustler1Dined on 8/4/2014Once Again, I Went For Restaurant Week and I Talked With Michael Before Hand To Arrange My Reservation. I Got There Early and Was Greeted and Served By Theresa, From The Bar. She Was Courteous, Vibrant, Fun, and Very Interactive Which Made My Meal Much More Enjoyable. The Maitre 'D That Came On After 4, Was Awesome as well. And To My Surprise Kat Came Over To Say Hello and Put The Cherry On My Night!! So, An Extra Thank You To, Ms. KATRINA AVILA AND SIR MICHAEL Pfeil, For Once Again Making My Dinning Experience Like Cheers The T.V. Show, Just More Upscale!!! See You Guys Again Real Soon...... - HAROLD HATTERSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here, loved it as much!CAPupsVIPDined on 8/3/2014This Upper East Side restaurant has consistently great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 8/3/2014Took an advantage of RW 2014 Summer at brunch. Had lobster scramble. It tasted great, but a bit too much got well done. Grilled chicken breast was juicy and moist. Too much corn for the dish. Loved famous cheesecake. Absolutely filled me up. Contemporary arty decor is adorable. Well disciplined servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodNYCGERDined on 8/2/2014You can expect some of the playful touches that David Burke is known for - like corn flake crusted crab cakes (delicious!) and lollipop shaped desserts (we saw them go by, but didn't order them) - as well as more traditional seafood. The branzino was prepared perfectly and served with a sauce that we wanted to bottle and take home. The only miss was the angry calamari - it was a little too salty. For dessert, we shared a peach & caramel parfait - a little sweet, but that didn't stop us from eating all of it! The service was very attentive - our server seemed genuinely concerned about our experience.Special Features:
- Shamefully bad food and serviceTheDrDined on 8/2/2014I rarely leave reviews, but this experience was so awful I had to share it with other potential diners. 1. They could not find our reservation. My confirmation email did not phase the hostess, who had an attitude. Also, we were early, and there was no one at all in the dining room, though she still was hesitant to seat us. 2. We checked the online menu prior to reserving just days before, and upon arriving discovered several of the items were not on the menu. Bottom line, the online menu is out of date. 3. My wife and son ordered chicken, and for $29 received appetizer-sized portions. For $28 each, it was shameful. 4. Though the room was half empty, food took forever to arrive. Diners seated well after us were served sooner.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014We like to take advantage of NYC Restaurant Week when it rolls around, and choose Fishtail as one of our stops. It was a treat as the menu options were extensive and everything we chose was delicious. The service was solid and the ambiance was energetic. We will certainly return here as well as other Burke restaurants as you can be assured the menu offerings will be progressive and pkease the palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaThan/VietNguyenJolinaHTDined on 8/1/2014This modern cuisine is definitely perfect ideal/choices for restaurant week adventure, with budget spending but finish with excellent cuisine & happy ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generosity PersonifiedBubbeVIPDined on 8/1/2014We go to all of the David Burke restaurants in NY. All of them are terrific. The restaurant week menus cannot be surpassed. It is the regular menu with just a few supplements. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week Find!lilflute86Dined on 8/1/2014Food was excellent and the service was great! I particularly enjoyed the large selection for restaurant week. The appetizers and desserts were especially amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fishtail Is a Great Place to EatCarlVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time at Fishtail and we were not disappointed. We were there during restaurant week so we were able to get a 3 course meal for $38 per person although mine was extra because I ordered the Lobster Rigatoni, which was delicious. You usually can't go wrong at a David Burke restaurant. It is a little further away from Broadway so if you eat there, give yourself an extra half hour to walk to take a cab or the subway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- showgalVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went for the Restaurant Week dinner. The choices were very nice. The food was good but we found the restaurant to be too hectic. Waiters were rushing around. Tables were small and very close together.Special Features:
- Great experience at FishtailNewYorkCityZel500Dined on 7/31/2014After having so many bad experiences lately, it was a pleasure to have a very good one at this spot. The service was attentive and very professional. The food was not the "same old, same old" and was actually quite inspired all the way through and including desert. Bravo to the staff at Fishtail! Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- jackDined on 7/31/2014Maybe this is just a function of restaurant week, but it was annoying to wait an hour past the time of my reservation. Dining room too loud due to a table of diners probably drunk from too many cocktails during their equally long wait.
- Food was greatkbnyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Made to wait about 20 minutes for our reservation in a VERY crowded, VERY noisy bar area. Tables very close together & restaurant was quite noisy. Server was fine - we kept getting offered drink menus (not "real" menus), & I had the sense they were a bit disappointed we were not drinkers. Anyway, food was wonderful.I had branzino on broccolini in a very light lemon sauce - excellent, as was the gazpacho. Glad we went, hope to go back when a bit quieter.Special Features:
- FishtailJulNYC1Dined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed our dinner at David Burke Fishtail very much. We particularly enjoyed the enthusiasm of the sommelier Katie who brought us our amazing bottle of Clos Ste. Hune. The cheesecake lollipops lived up to the hype as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badKal1986Dined on 7/29/2014It was good overall but the tables might be to close to each other which could be a problem if u sit next to a jerk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never againsusanVIPDined on 7/29/2014Gave Fishtail a second chance. Will never go back again. The silverware was dirty, took 14 minutes to get olives for martini that they added an up charge for straight up. Atleast this time the AC was working & not a fire trap downstairs like last time. Too expensive to have 2 disappointing meals in a row. They knew I was unhappy the last time & did nothing about it for the return visit. Poor management.
- noisyRichmonderDined on 7/29/2014I liked the David Burke Town House and was looking forward to the Fishtail. Unfortunately, the place was packed and so noisy that we did not enjoy the dinner at all. I must say that I happen to go there during the restaurant week. I think the place was over-booked. The popover was cold and there was no "wow" factor in the seasoning on the fish. The waiter was excellent.
- No Restaurant Week BargainSomewhatDisappointedDined on 7/29/2014Thought I would be getting a restaurant week bargain, unfortunately, did not. Portions were not very generous The drinks were expensive. Around $20 each for both cocktails and wine by the glass. And the worst part was that although service was courteous we felt rushed. The 3 course dinner was served in under an hour. So if you want to enjoy an unrushed dinner this is not the place at least not during restaurant week.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWElvalouDined on 7/28/2014Monday night and a great vibe. We sat at a small table and ordered a drink while we waited patiently for our table. To our surprise Our drinks were paid because we waited longer than normal (It was restaurant week.). The staff, the food and there service were outstanding, loved every minute and every bite. I have never tasted better raspberry sorbet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as anticipatedhon123Dined on 7/28/2014Drinks are very expensive, waited for an hour for the table although had reservation. Food was ok, deserts very good, understaffed.
- A bad startFirstClassVIPDined on 7/27/2014The young female sommelier brought us a 2012 bottle rather than the 2012 we ordered. The 2011 was what was listed on the extensive hard bound wine list. First she said the menu had a typo, then she said 2012 was better. Neither line sounded right. She also could not clearly tell us why the 2012 was better. The fod was good but not exceptional.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014High quality seafood in a townhouse setting. Expensive wine list with barely an affordable choice unless you've got a corporate card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un enthusedUndercoverfoodiesDined on 7/27/2014The food was All over the spectrum! The lobster dumplings were Very rich, the tuna tasteless...the salmon and tuna dinners were Again shockingly tasteless, the artichokes and quinoa totally dry...and the peach dessert was so rich that it gave us a stomach ache...where were the peaches? We walked home with heavy stomachs.
- ConsistentlyPerfectVIPDined on 7/27/2014Everything was perfect as usual. Food, service, ambience, greeting upon entering. EverythingSpecial Features:
- DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/27/2014Went with a friend during restaurant week and we had a fantastic 3 course lunch. Everything was cooked perfectly and the service was impeccable! I can't remember when I had a waiter that was as courteous, attentive and timely. The cheesecake lollipops were particularily memorable - delish!Special Features:
- Wonderful!PickyEaterDined on 7/26/2014The branzino was wonderful, the tuna a little less so but all in all a great restaurant with top quality service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thebesttunaeverVIPDined on 7/26/2014I love black & blue Ahi tuna. The tuna I had on Saturday, the 26th, was by far the absolute best I have ever had. It was grilled with just a slight touch of salt. The grilling was perfection. The edges just slightly more than medium and the center was red and cool. I am drooling for another piece now. My wife had the grilled bronzino which also was prepared fabulously. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great foodTabbyDined on 7/25/2014The food was wonderful, but, no doubt due to Restaurant Week, the room was very crowded with too much noise.Special Features:
- The following 2720 reviews are from the David Burke Fishtail reviews archive.
- Restaurant WeekShakesVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fishtail always serves off the regular menu, which is much appreciated. The food is creative and, as usual, very good. There are many diners, but everything was under control. Two small issues: First, our touchy-feely waiter felt the need to touch my back or shoulder every time he spoke to me and my guest. Didn't say anything, but felt his actions were intrusive. Second, Fishtail charged $7 for bottle of general sparkling water and $5 for a cup of decaf coffee. Both seemed high, although given the 'restaurant week bargain', it's something I can live with. Overall, I highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- HmmPuddingBlarghenhousenDined on 7/25/2014I don't think I, personally, would go back to this restaurant. The food overall was quite good, though my companion and I both did not like our appetizers. The entrees were spectacular. Service was 100% on-point and very friendly. Our server was wonderful and helpful. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of dining so close to other people. The tables are crammed so close together that just trying to get up can become a disaster. Additionally my dining experience was ruined by the couple sat next to us. Since the tables are so close together you cannot help but overhear someone else's snide remarks. In my case, I had to overhear them disparaging me and my companion. This just proves that the crowd can make or break a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reintroduction to an Old FavoriteSusansellsnewyorkVIPDined on 7/25/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday at Fishtail Friday night and discovered that the diners at the two adjoining tables were doing the same. Clearly, Fishtail's patrons view this as a good place for a celebration. Even though it was restaurant week, we opted for dishes that had an additional charge - a great idea as it keeps the price low and the options high. The oysters were fabulous as was the lobster bisque. My martini was the best I have had with olives stuffed with truffled feta cheese. My only "complaint", if you could call it that, is that you have to order the lollipop cheese cake tree for two. My husband loves it so that is what we had but I would have preferred one of the other options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice, but not worth the pricelgueatsVIPDined on 7/25/2014we went for dinner during restaurant week and the food was great. the wine list, however, had nothing less than $75. they really should have at least 5 choices in the $50 dollar range. we enjoyed a nice bottle priced at $80. both meals selected had a supplemental charge, which was expected, but even with restaurant week prices dinner for 2 was well over $200 with tax and tip. for that kind of money I would rather go to Gramercy Tavern.Special Features:
- FoodAdmirerDined on 7/25/2014Extensive menu for Restaurant week. Good value. Great food. Great service. Will definitely come back even if it's not Restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KdfoodieDined on 7/25/2014Had a very nice evening at Fishtail, we very much enjoyed our meals and the service was also very good. Liked it so much, in fact, that I returned for the happy hour specials the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food Excellent ServiceSip1VIPDined on 7/25/2014Didn't expect the menu, service, and food quality are still so food during the restaurant week!Special Features:
- Great food but tight on spaceMisspepperpotDined on 7/24/2014We were visiting NYC from the UK and booked as part of restaurant week. The starters and mains were excellent but the dessert disappointed. The parfait was actually an English trifle, and I hate whipped cream desserts. Neither my friend or I managed half of it. Granted it was restaurant week but we needed a tin opener to prise us in and out of our seats. My friend's plates were handed to her over my head. I knocked a wine glass and it ended up in the chap' slap at the table next to us. Also, whilst service was great, four different staff managed our table and we had a three course menu delivered and eaten in 55 minutes. Not very relaxed. Black Sea bass and grapefruit was a revelation and the crayfish and avocado tian was delicious.Special Features: