Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street
1359 W Taylor Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davantichicago.com/
- Phone: 3122265550x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Richard Ginn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street
With rustic exposed brick walls, re-purposed farm wood and communal tables, Davanti Enoteca takes its cues from the small villages of Italy. Diners enjoy authentic Italian dishes they would find in the Italian countryside, but with a contemporary, creative twist.The start diners may choose from the selection of formaggi and salumi which is designed for guests to create their own boards by choosing from unique options. Instant classics include the boards that are presented to the table. The Foccacia de Recco is a flaky Ligurian style foccacia, baked and stuffed with creamy melted crescenza cheese and served with honeycomb to spread on the warm pastry. Buttery marscapone polenta is ladled on a wooden board and served with ragu of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (70)notable wine list (45)good for groups (41)special occasion (33)romantic (25)hot spot (23)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Spot!NuzGuy9VIPDined on 9/5/2014I am so happy I accidentally discovered Davanti Enoteca. I will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014I dined here with two friends after my husband recommended it, and we all found the food delicious. I loved the pate with onion jam, the warm olives, and the amazing bacon burger in particular. We also had the warm kale guanciale salad and cauliflower steak with lemon jam and crispy chickpeas, which were both delicious. The server was helpful but not intrusive, and the bill was very reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally Enjoyable!cpaemcDined on 9/1/2014The food and service was excellent! Try the appetizer with honey and cheese. Also the pizzas were delicious! Totally recommend the prosciutto and arugula, as well as the D.O.C. (mozzarella/tomato). Rigatoni with sausage was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIKEVIPDined on 8/30/2014food and service were excellent, the noise level was atrocious. Great menu, food and wine but communicating in anything other than sign language or text is extremely difficult. As soon as my hearing is restored, I'll be back
- yummyfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Everything about our experience was wonderful. We went with another couple and tasted 10 plates. Each was great in appearance and taste. Our waiter was helpful in suggesting dishes and wine to go with it. A very nice nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy without airport hasselWendyinthewindyDined on 8/26/2014The food is excellent:good ingredients that are simply well prepared. The bartender and our waitress were attentive and knowledgeable. One friend said that she had definitely been eating in the wrong places!Special Features:
- Great spot for Italian fareTanThoDined on 8/25/2014We really enjoyed our food - we ordered the bruschetta, Vasi, and a couple of pizzas. Our server was very attentive and, overall, the service was very prompt. Great ambience - might not be ideal if you're looking for a quieter spot.Special Features:
- AmazingKwhite0820Dined on 8/20/2014I loved everything about this place. I heard Taylor Street is better than the River north location so we made a reservation for our anniversary. The food was amazing.. From the bruschetta to rigatoni and gnocchi. You must try the banana cake with peanut butter mousse dessert. If I lived on Taylor street, we would be ordering from this place at least twice a week. Harriet our server delivered probably one of the best dining experiences ever. Her honesty on how many plates to order and suggestions really went a long way. She didn't even snub me when I told her I wasn't drinking. Super plus. Thank you for the great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing and so flavorful. I'm not asking for a pound of pasta or anything but for $15 I thought the portion size could have been a little larger. Maybe this is more of a fine dining restaraunt which is fine. Ambiance was spectacular, and I love the Italian menu. Super happy they had gluten free pasta for my girlfriend. Her gluten free pasta was definitely undercooked and hard, (not al-dente) but waitor took care of it. It was just slightly awkward because waiter told us all pasta is cooked to al-dente in which I understood but her pasta was noticably undercooked. He did take it back and it came back great with An Amazon sauce. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!caseylynncDined on 8/12/2014The food at Davanti Enoteca was our favorite from the entire week we spent in Boston. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJoenonymousDined on 8/9/2014Ate at Davanti Enoteca on Saturday, August 9. Shared half a dozen dishes, all of which were excellent and enjoyed attentive but not overbearing service. I look forward to eating here againSpecial Features:
- Wonderful creative foodLuvChicagoDined on 8/7/2014This was our first meal at Davanti Enoteca but it won't be our last. First, our waiter was spectacular. Extremely knowledgeable, great recommendations, really wanted to make sure we got flavors and textures we would enjoy. For our appetizer, we had a daily special consisting of clams in a garlic/herb/white wine broth and tiny home-made pasta beads served with perfect crusty bread to get every bit of the broth. Very flavorful and great textures. Main course was mascarpone polenta with the most tender and flavorful veal meatballs served with just a bit of marinara sauce. The mascarpone made the polenta very creamy and added just a touch of sweetness that was perfect. Really wonderful. Dessert was biondo torta - that is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosonycpogoDined on 8/3/2014Can't say how delicious the meals always are here at Davanti...the service at the Taylor Street location is fantastic! The only gripe I have is that I wish they had more vegetarian entrees or pastas, and more pregnant friendly dishes - ie...no goat cheese or soft cheeses, no cured or smoked meats...would be nice to have one or two more optionsSpecial Features:
- Loved the food!GingerPieDined on 7/30/2014Great, inventive italian food, served tapa style, therefore small servings. Excellent service. Very noisy, unfortunately, even on a weekday. Hard to hear conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014I've been here twice for dinner and it was excellent each time. Noise level is high- it is difficult to hear conversation if you are in a larger group.Special Features:
- great as usualcheezynonkVIPDined on 7/18/2014the food was great, dessert was superb. The wine list could use some diversity, maybe adding a server would be beneficial to the consumer, but overlal I'll be returning.Special Features:
- Awesome food and service!RockonelgrosDined on 7/14/2014The dishes are simple but the taste is fabulous. Real italian Food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world....LoriBDined on 7/13/2014Small delicious plates that are served one at a time. Great wine and cocktails. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceH82DineDined on 7/13/2014While in Chicago on vacation, our family of five went to Davanti Enoteca, Taylor Street, for an early dinner. Understanding Davanti Enoteca is a great place to order and share, we ordered Prosciutto e Rucola, Davanti Burger, Rigatoni con Salsiccia e Pomodori al forno, Tuscan toast with ricotta & local honey comb and (formaggi + salumi) Bresaola, Mediterranean Blue & Grana Padano. For dessert we ordered torta di arachidi banane, biondo torta del burro bruno & torta bacio and espresso for all. The food, wine, service and atmosphere could not have been better. Davanti Enoteca has become our favorite restaurant in Chicago, which is quite a statement.Special Features:
- BarbieVIPDined on 7/10/2014Delicious as usual! polenta with bolognese was awesomeSpecial Features:
- Diamond in the roughFoodieforlifeVIPDined on 7/9/2014Exceptional in every way. Please try the polenta board! Service was great! Celebrated our two year old's b day and the staff was super nice! Even gifted us a personalized bib for the babe!! Chocolate mousse dessert is a MUST have!!!! Will be back for date night, lunch and brunch!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodUrbanfoodieDined on 7/6/2014Always order the polenta and ragu of the day cause it's always amazing. Everything is always executed perfectly and well seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Menu set up tapas style, waiter said 5 - 7 oz servings and over priced. Burger had grilled cheese curds and bacon but was greasy. Besides the burger no other full meal on menu. Would not go back or recommend.
- great timeFunny777Dined on 7/3/2014great food - great service - great spot. we love the small plate theme and great variety of menu items. wine list is great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner placeTammyVIPDined on 6/30/2014My girlfriend heard about this restaurant from all of people who said it was great. They were right on. It was awesome. Great variety of small places - cool food combinations and good wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuALawyerDined on 6/29/2014The menu is far more interesting/innovative than most Italian restaurants. Prices are good and, for brunch, everything is served so it can be shared.Special Features:
- overpriced for portion sizerlernVIPDined on 6/28/2014food was okay...nothing great. prices are outrageous for amount you get. too many other fantastic places to go to....will NOT be back!! if you aren't hungry and don't care about wasting money, this is the place for you!Special Features:
- Awesome place with every tasteFoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014This place has become one if my go to's. Everything from the vasi's to the burger, it's ALL amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAjeeVIPDined on 6/23/2014We were near Taylor Street around 300 p.m.on a Monday. Most places were closed, since it was Monday and the time was odd. We were the only ones there, but we never felt uncomfortable. Our server was Ron and he was outstanding. We asked for his recommendations and every suggestion was amazing. We started with the chicken liver pate with caramelized onions on top with warm garlic bread. So good, we could have stopped there. Next we had polenta with mascarpone served table side and spread on a board with small meatballs on top The sauce was so light and fresh, nothing canned here. For our main course we had the scallops special. 3 huge scallops with mushrooms and and grain.Special Features:
- YummmmmAg7ag7ag7VIPDined on 6/21/2014The polenta ragu is one of the best things I've ever tasted. The burrata was to die for. LOVE the cacio e pepe and the raviolo. Delicious Italian meal!Special Features:
- For munching, not diningShakenDined on 6/18/2014DE prefers that diners share all dishes -- although we didn't know this when we made a reservation. We wanted to dine in a more conventional fashion, so each of us ordered a first course and second course and made it clear that this is how we wanted the food served. However, the food came out of the kitchen more or less at random. Sometimes 1 or 2 dishes at a time, sometimes just 1 at a time, in no particular order. One member of our party didn't get any of the dishes he had ordered until 30 minutes after the first one arrived at the table. We wish the restaurant had been more responsive to our request, which shouldn't have been difficult. Also, the food was much too salty -- although many places can be accused of the same.
- Great food....KimtDined on 6/17/2014The food was wonderful...the noise level very high. This was made worse by a table next to us of 4 women who were very loud...I mean very loud!!! The food and service was excellent. We tried the beets...they were swoon worthy. I had the rigatoni...it was very good. My husband had the burger which was a nice surprise...bacon jam good!!! We have been here before...do love the food and wine selection.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014i thought the service was okay, not great. seating is too close and it is hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing in every way!KmacDined on 6/9/2014I was entertaining customers for our annual NeoCon trade show and found the Davanti Enoteca website. It was a little off the beaten path that had some shaking their heads, '"where is she taking us"'?. It really was less than 3 miles from the Merchandise Mart in a lovely neighborhood, but most stay closer to their hotels. We started with focasccia di Recco, a wonderful flatbread w/cow cheese (creamy and delicious) served with honey in the comb. The Cacio e Pepe was a simple spaghetti/pecorino/black pepper dish that was surprisingly flavorful. Don't miss the ragu of the day served over polenta. Desserts were also delicious, especially the lemon tiramisu. Our waiter Ron was attentive and all of his recommendations spot on. Great wine. GO NOW!!Special Features:
- LawrenceADined on 6/7/2014Lively room, lively food, lively scene. Everything from pizza to fancy fish. Everyone from date-night couples to grandparents with their grandkids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mismatch of expectationsDineAtTheBestDined on 6/6/2014A quaint place, could be very charming but the music genre and noise level totally dismissed the ambiance...we actually couldn't wait to leave! The bruschetta special of the day was a bit odd, goat cheese and cauliflower with hot hot peppers. The burrata was excellent, creamy and wonderful, great pesto and roasted small tomatoes on grilled bread. The prosciutto/arugula pizza was quite disappointing, it was bland and dry.The wine list is all expensive, had a $75 bottle of red that was just ok. The menu itself was an issue too, limited, uninteresting, had difficulty finding something that sounded good. The small plates are fairly small. It was an expensive dinner, not terribly satisfying.
- Dinner Before the Hawks GameSusanNKarenDined on 6/1/2014Ron is a fabulous waiter, a little pushy on the $$$$ wine. Food was great as usual, although we get the feeling that the portions are getting SMALLER. Grilled octopus -- one smallish piece of octopus…but PLENTY of potatoes! Polenta, pizza and truffle egg toast NEVER disappoint!Special Features:
- Out of town visitorHungrytravellerDined on 5/26/2014I was in Chicago for a conference and found the restaurant on Open table. It was a nice little neighborhood spot, food was very good, although the menu was limited. I liked the Italian only wine list. The price was very reasonable for the food quality, but the table next to us was a bit loud limiting our conversation at times. I would go back.Special Features:
- Make your reservation early!DrJohnVIPDined on 5/22/2014This a POPULAR spot! For good reason. The food and service are spectacular!Special Features:
- eata7otVIPDined on 5/21/2014Davanti Enoteca is a wonderful find in an area - Taylor Street - that already offers a multitude of fantastic Italian restaurants. The food is served family style, which makes it more fun to devour. The restaurant had me hooked at "Ragu of the Day"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 329 reviews are from the Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street reviews archive.