Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street
1359 W Taylor Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davantichicago.com/
- Phone: 3122265550x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Richard Ginn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street
With rustic exposed brick walls, re-purposed farm wood and communal tables, Davanti Enoteca takes its cues from the small villages of Italy. Diners enjoy authentic Italian dishes they would find in the Italian countryside, but with a contemporary, creative twist.The start diners may choose from the selection of formaggi and salumi which is designed for guests to create their own boards by choosing from unique options. Instant classics include the boards that are presented to the table. The Foccacia de Recco is a flaky Ligurian style foccacia, baked and stuffed with creamy melted crescenza cheese and served with honeycomb to spread on the warm pastry. Buttery marscapone polenta is ladled on a wooden board and served with ragu of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Davanti Enoteca- Taylor Street reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (50)good for groups (45)special occasion (37)hot spot (27)romantic (25)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- excellent!KioaraFPDined on 10/20/2014I went there looking for something different and I found it! Very interesting presentation of food(on wooden boards), a unique combination of polenta and meat (that evening the menu offered meatballs), long wine list. Very enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, tight spaceKevinODined on 10/18/2014The Italian tapas were excellent. My wife and I shared three and had just enough room for the sugar cooking with pumpkin cream and cinnamon milk. Only complaint was that our table was right on top of the table next to us. However it wasn't terribly bothersome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2014We loved every aspect of our dinner at Davanti Enoteca! The food was delicious, service was attentive, and the atmosphere was perfect for our fun girls' dinner. Each dish was so excellent we kept wanting to order more! Would definitely recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014It looked cool, but was overall a frustrating experience because I couldn't hear what my wife was saying.Special Features:
- Best in Little ItalyBedaVIPDined on 10/13/2014Yum. We stumbled upon this gem last year and I have been dreaming about returning for the burrata, tomato, and pesto salad since then. We live in DC so its hard to get back. Every dish is divine in this understated restaurant. I can't wait for my next trip back to Chicago!Special Features:
- Before the Hawks GameSusanNKarenDined on 10/11/2014Davanti is one of our favorite spots to hit before heading the a Black Hawks game! Service is always fast, wine list fabulous and dinner is always spot on. Must complain (again) that the grilled octopus appears to be getting smaller and smaller every time we order it!Special Features:
- ItalianfoodieDined on 10/10/2014food was very good and imaginative. waiter helped us space the delivery and pick a great wine. definitely a place we'll go back to again.Special Features:
- corkieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Davanti is a fun restaurant at which to eat. The last time we went there, my husband didn't really enjoy it. This time, he loved it. We had the bruschetta of the day, the mason jar of chicken liver pate, and an arugula and proscuitto pizza. All were absolutely delicious. Can't wait to try some of the other pizzas because theirs has the perfect crust: crispy and chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza & small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/5/2014Wonderful place for pizza, good wine, and small get togethers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Overall, the food was very good, however, there was a brunch menu on Saturday until 2pm which limited the usual pasta selections. I would have like the regular menu, but was satisfied with what I did order. Service was ok, but slow at times because there was only one waiter covering the dining room. The waiter was pleasant, but had too many tables to cover at the time.Special Features:
- Still love despite terrible food.Hc210Dined on 9/26/2014Love this place. But I guess they got a new chef and some of their classics were really missing the mark. But at least my past experiences here were amazing enough to carry me through this really lackluster dinner. The waitstaff could tell something was off and the management was really nice. But still a let down. Just give them time to work it out then never miss a chance to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014We experienced a well-paced lunch with excellent food quality. The presentation was fantastic and I can't wait to go back. I am inspired by your infused vodka cocktail!Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedecwmdDined on 9/20/2014Made a reservation on the recommendation of a good friend but was urged to cancel by another. I should have listened to the latter. The food was mediocre at best. The extra star is for the mascarpone polenta with pork shoulder ragu but one edible dish out of 10 is pretty poor. The 5-6oz portions were much too small to share among our party of 5. The pork cheek gnudi was still frozen when it came out and our waiter had to justify hat the gnudi was made in house but frozen to maintain freshness. As many other reviewers pointed out, it's incredibly loud. We could barely hear the waiter as he shouted the specials. I don't quite understand why this restaurant has the reputation that it does. I will not be returning.
- Wonderful food experience!FoodieByDefaultDined on 9/19/2014You can't go wrong with this place. I had the two 5 oz glasses of the cabernet sauvignon, ravioli, homemade cake and gelato for dessert. Can't stop thinking about how great it taste.Special Features:
- Good but NoisyAbuVarelaDined on 9/19/2014Food was very well cooked, waitresses willing to be listened but noise did not allow. Try it out of weekends and special dates. Perhaps...Special Features:
- Great Spot!NuzGuy9VIPDined on 9/5/2014I am so happy I accidentally discovered Davanti Enoteca. I will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014I dined here with two friends after my husband recommended it, and we all found the food delicious. I loved the pate with onion jam, the warm olives, and the amazing bacon burger in particular. We also had the warm kale guanciale salad and cauliflower steak with lemon jam and crispy chickpeas, which were both delicious. The server was helpful but not intrusive, and the bill was very reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally Enjoyable!cpaemcDined on 9/1/2014The food and service was excellent! Try the appetizer with honey and cheese. Also the pizzas were delicious! Totally recommend the prosciutto and arugula, as well as the D.O.C. (mozzarella/tomato). Rigatoni with sausage was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIKEVIPDined on 8/30/2014food and service were excellent, the noise level was atrocious. Great menu, food and wine but communicating in anything other than sign language or text is extremely difficult. As soon as my hearing is restored, I'll be back
- yummyfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Everything about our experience was wonderful. We went with another couple and tasted 10 plates. Each was great in appearance and taste. Our waiter was helpful in suggesting dishes and wine to go with it. A very nice nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy without airport hasselWendyinthewindyDined on 8/26/2014The food is excellent:good ingredients that are simply well prepared. The bartender and our waitress were attentive and knowledgeable. One friend said that she had definitely been eating in the wrong places!Special Features:
- Great spot for Italian fareTanThoDined on 8/25/2014We really enjoyed our food - we ordered the bruschetta, Vasi, and a couple of pizzas. Our server was very attentive and, overall, the service was very prompt. Great ambience - might not be ideal if you're looking for a quieter spot.Special Features:
- AmazingKwhite0820Dined on 8/20/2014I loved everything about this place. I heard Taylor Street is better than the River north location so we made a reservation for our anniversary. The food was amazing.. From the bruschetta to rigatoni and gnocchi. You must try the banana cake with peanut butter mousse dessert. If I lived on Taylor street, we would be ordering from this place at least twice a week. Harriet our server delivered probably one of the best dining experiences ever. Her honesty on how many plates to order and suggestions really went a long way. She didn't even snub me when I told her I wasn't drinking. Super plus. Thank you for the great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing and so flavorful. I'm not asking for a pound of pasta or anything but for $15 I thought the portion size could have been a little larger. Maybe this is more of a fine dining restaraunt which is fine. Ambiance was spectacular, and I love the Italian menu. Super happy they had gluten free pasta for my girlfriend. Her gluten free pasta was definitely undercooked and hard, (not al-dente) but waitor took care of it. It was just slightly awkward because waiter told us all pasta is cooked to al-dente in which I understood but her pasta was noticably undercooked. He did take it back and it came back great with An Amazon sauce. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!caseylynncDined on 8/12/2014The food at Davanti Enoteca was our favorite from the entire week we spent in Boston. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJoenonymousDined on 8/9/2014Ate at Davanti Enoteca on Saturday, August 9. Shared half a dozen dishes, all of which were excellent and enjoyed attentive but not overbearing service. I look forward to eating here againSpecial Features:
- Wonderful creative foodLuvChicagoDined on 8/7/2014This was our first meal at Davanti Enoteca but it won't be our last. First, our waiter was spectacular. Extremely knowledgeable, great recommendations, really wanted to make sure we got flavors and textures we would enjoy. For our appetizer, we had a daily special consisting of clams in a garlic/herb/white wine broth and tiny home-made pasta beads served with perfect crusty bread to get every bit of the broth. Very flavorful and great textures. Main course was mascarpone polenta with the most tender and flavorful veal meatballs served with just a bit of marinara sauce. The mascarpone made the polenta very creamy and added just a touch of sweetness that was perfect. Really wonderful. Dessert was biondo torta - that is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosonycpogoDined on 8/3/2014Can't say how delicious the meals always are here at Davanti...the service at the Taylor Street location is fantastic! The only gripe I have is that I wish they had more vegetarian entrees or pastas, and more pregnant friendly dishes - ie...no goat cheese or soft cheeses, no cured or smoked meats...would be nice to have one or two more optionsSpecial Features:
- Loved the food!GingerPieDined on 7/30/2014Great, inventive italian food, served tapa style, therefore small servings. Excellent service. Very noisy, unfortunately, even on a weekday. Hard to hear conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014I've been here twice for dinner and it was excellent each time. Noise level is high- it is difficult to hear conversation if you are in a larger group.Special Features:
- great as usualcheezynonkVIPDined on 7/18/2014the food was great, dessert was superb. The wine list could use some diversity, maybe adding a server would be beneficial to the consumer, but overlal I'll be returning.Special Features:
- Awesome food and service!RockonelgrosDined on 7/14/2014The dishes are simple but the taste is fabulous. Real italian Food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world....LoriBDined on 7/13/2014Small delicious plates that are served one at a time. Great wine and cocktails. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceH82DineDined on 7/13/2014While in Chicago on vacation, our family of five went to Davanti Enoteca, Taylor Street, for an early dinner. Understanding Davanti Enoteca is a great place to order and share, we ordered Prosciutto e Rucola, Davanti Burger, Rigatoni con Salsiccia e Pomodori al forno, Tuscan toast with ricotta & local honey comb and (formaggi + salumi) Bresaola, Mediterranean Blue & Grana Padano. For dessert we ordered torta di arachidi banane, biondo torta del burro bruno & torta bacio and espresso for all. The food, wine, service and atmosphere could not have been better. Davanti Enoteca has become our favorite restaurant in Chicago, which is quite a statement.Special Features:
- BarbieVIPDined on 7/10/2014Delicious as usual! polenta with bolognese was awesomeSpecial Features:
- Diamond in the roughFoodieforlifeVIPDined on 7/9/2014Exceptional in every way. Please try the polenta board! Service was great! Celebrated our two year old's b day and the staff was super nice! Even gifted us a personalized bib for the babe!! Chocolate mousse dessert is a MUST have!!!! Will be back for date night, lunch and brunch!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodUrbanfoodieDined on 7/6/2014Always order the polenta and ragu of the day cause it's always amazing. Everything is always executed perfectly and well seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Menu set up tapas style, waiter said 5 - 7 oz servings and over priced. Burger had grilled cheese curds and bacon but was greasy. Besides the burger no other full meal on menu. Would not go back or recommend.
- great timeFunny777Dined on 7/3/2014great food - great service - great spot. we love the small plate theme and great variety of menu items. wine list is great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner placeTammyVIPDined on 6/30/2014My girlfriend heard about this restaurant from all of people who said it was great. They were right on. It was awesome. Great variety of small places - cool food combinations and good wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.