Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
1201 28th Street NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dasethiopian.com/
- Phone: (202) 333-4710
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Celebrated for serving some of the best Ethiopian dishes available, the award winning restaurant continually delivers the freshest fare, while using local and sustainable food sources.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Contact 2023334710
A word from Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
DAS Ethiopian offers you a cozy two story setting, with rare outside dining views and al fresco patio dining in season. DAS is located at the eclectically brilliant historic corner of the internationally renowned shopping district of Georgetown. A tent under which all come to feast is the very Amharic definition of DAS, and that is what you will enjoy here. From neighborhood diners, nearby students, journalists, to international visitors and performers, all enjoy the casual but refined atmosphere that serves up the freshest Ethiopian dishes from local and sustainable food sources. Let us know of your dining plans now so we may accommodate any extra needs or private dining desires you may have. We look forward to serving you again and again!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Das Ethiopian - Georgetown reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (28)special occasion (18)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just OKAstilbe88Dined on 11/21/2014Atmosphere lovely, wait staff pleasant enough, but the food was not very good, portions small, and service was extremely rushed - entrees arrived before we even had time to finish our cocktails. This does not add up to value for the price points on the menu.
- Great food - friendly service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/14/2014Experience Ethiopian food and dining style in this cozy and friendly restaurant. The host explains how to use the bread as your utensil and gives good advice about how much to order as well as wine choice and how much spiciness to expect. Service is friendly but never intrusive. Enjoyed both the chicken and beef dishes along with the vegetarian sampler!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Amazing food and wonderful service. We did the chicken and beef samplers which were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventurous dinner in an elegant settingJenakayaVIPDined on 11/14/2014My first time eating in an Ethiopian restaurant, this was a great experience. The decor is understated and elegant, the atmosphere cozy and friendly. The waitress made great recommendations for appetizers and entrees and was very friendly. The whole staff was friendly, service was great and the food was wonderful. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Ethiopian food with a great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014I've been to Das Ethiopian twice - each time the food has been excellent. The restaurant has a great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place each and every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Great place each and every time. Been there many times, great service, fun place to be with family and friends and even business if you want to break the ice and really get to know who you might be doing business with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Ethiopian, Not DisappointedlunchstuffDined on 11/1/2014First time having Ethiopian, same for my girlfriend. The food came in a timely manner, everything was really delicious. Don't have anything to compare it to unfortunately. I made the bad choice of not moving my table, which was just in a slightly awkward location. The noise level was just right, and it was a really fun experience for us. The only thing I would have wished is if I had gotten an explanation of what the things were on the menu, but would have taken up way too much time.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceMomRucifiDined on 10/26/2014Ethiopian food is a rare treat for us these days, and Das makes the wait worth it every time. The food is consistently delicious, the servers are warm and helpful, and the atmosphere is just right for a quiet evening with someone special.Special Features:
- Good foodDaveDined on 10/24/2014Definitely a must in Georgetown. Great service and good food, but don't be surprised by lack of silverware. Served with the food is a roll of Ethiopian bread, very thin and spongy, that you use to too scoop up food by hand.Special Features:
- great example of Ethiopian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I don't believe in grade inflation, so I rarely if ever go over 4 stars. Additionally, I rate restaurants against other I consider in the "same class". Thus, I wouldn't compare this to a fine french restaurant, but rather to other examples of cuisine which a typical American would consider unusual or ethnic. Allowing for the above, I have no hesitation recommending it, and plan on going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Last week when I had ethiopian at another Ethiopian restaurant (on H Street) it was too spicy, while I enjoyed the food at Das Ethiopian it wasn't spicy enough. That being said it was still very tasty and pleasantly priced for lunch. I ordered the veggie combo and my dining partner ordered the meat combo. We both cleaned our plates!
- Great FlavorsTravelingmom15108Dined on 9/27/2014We love Ethiopian food. And this restaurant is up there with some of best we've tried over the years. They have a great selection. I liked that they kept replenishing the "bread". The server was very helpful to us as we were picking our choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated Like RoyaltyStormDined on 9/26/2014Food was absolutely fantastic, but more importantly the owner is always there o make sure your dining experience is unforgettable. It was my wife's birthday and we ordered a bottle champagne, which regrettably they were out of. So we wouldn't be disappointed, the owner even offered to leave his restaurant to get us that bottle. This is the type of service that royalty and movie stars might sometimes receive, however in this kind gentleman's establishment, this is the norm for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodechadDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant has really good food, we ordered the vegetable and meat samplers to make sure that we tried everything. But one of the best things is the Ethiopian Honey Wine!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceG1ngerDined on 9/20/2014I'm only in DC once a year, and this restaurant is always on my list. Delicious food, gracious service, and we love dinner on their patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Georgetown dining spotnothinglikeagoodmealDined on 9/19/2014If you like Ethiopian style food, you'll enjoy Das Ethiopian. The ambience is pleasant, with both indoor and outdoor seating when weather permits in an attractive setting. The food was great and our waitress was prompt and very personable. The owner/manager also stopped by to greet us and chat. Overall it was a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authenticctmomDined on 9/19/2014Or that was what we thought - i loved the lack of silverware (you use soft bread as your utensil) and the mix of flavors. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014Consistently excellent service in a very lovely Georgetown setting. Quiet and pleasant indoor dining room and charming outdoor patio. We always get the vegetarian platter and add a meat accompaniment. The beef short ribs are a stand out for us. A long time favorite - we go several times a year and service is always good no matter how busy they are.Special Features:
- Great ServiceHotdocDined on 8/31/2014We dined with a party of five on a rainy night in late summer. The wait staff was attentive, and service was excellent. The restaurant owner paid a visit to each table. We had meat and vegetarian sampler platters -- and were able to experience all the great tastes and flavors of Ethiopian dining. Ethiopian food is eaten with bread as the "utensil." Easy to learn, but at least one person in our party opted for a fork. A unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazinggreatmealVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food, great service, and very reasonably priced for Georgetown! We will be back!Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodieGroupieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food, good service, nice location, can't complain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!LaritaDined on 8/23/2014I love this cozy restaurant, romantic, quiet and personal. I met my husband there and we usually go have dinner in this restaurant for our anniversary. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placegoodfood22Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, service, decor, and ambiance. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very disappointing experienceMac56Dined on 8/8/2014We had a disappointing experience at Das. From the moment we sat down we felt that our server was only interested in rushing us through our meal and out the door. We chose the vegetarian and beef/chicken tasting plates (which had both been recommended on Trip Advisor) but were again disappointed. We received only small amounts of each dish and our server described them in such a rush that we had no idea what we were eating. She kept giving us more bread even when we still had plenty on our plate as if trying to hurry us along. As this was our first experience of Ethiopian food we were looking forward to learning some new things about the food and the culture. Sadly this did not happen.
- Great food for night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We came into the city for just one night and Das did not disappoint. The service was great. The outdoor dining was great for people watching in Georgetown and the vegetarian Ethiopian food was superb. We will definitely go back next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExoticTravellerDined on 8/6/2014Exotic and very friendly ambiance All recommendations were just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the maitre-d in the red pants!NinjaFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014We ate here about ten years ago. We always eat Ethiopian food when we visit DC. This time, I brought my extended family, a total of 12 people. We arrived early, so they set our table up and we were seated soon after our arrival. The servers were very attentive and the food was as good as I remember it. This isn't a fancy place, but it's a great place to dine. We loved the variety of options. We loved the eggplant, chicken, collard greens and shrimp. It's really nice to have the separate soda bread that isn't wet. The desserts and coffee were tasty and comforting. I brought home a bag of their coffee. My mom enjoyed watching all the activity across the street at the Four Seasons. Pretty hip and cool place. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 230 reviews are from the Das Ethiopian - Georgetown reviews archive.
- Loved it!EthioFoodLoverDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food, came out ver fast and was so tasty. Everyone was so friendly and it was a great location to see out the window and people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StycksDined on 7/25/2014Das is a restaurant to dine at romantically or as a group. The ambience suits both occasions. The Staff are extremely attentive and it was impressive to see the owner talking to all the diners as he did on the only other occasion we have visited this restaurant. We so enjoyed the sampling platters the first time we went that we tried them again, we were not disappointed. The menu is varied and interesting, next time something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLuvEverythingVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have been to many Ethiopian places and I must say it was great! We sat by the window inside which was very romantic as well. Definitely coming back and I strongly suggest you try it.Special Features:
- Fancy EthiopianindianfoodieDined on 7/20/2014DC is known for Ethiopian food... And Das Ethiopian was great. Having been to a few of the hole in the wall type places, the food does compare, but is more pricey. We took some out of town friends here because we had no idea how they would react to new food as well as a not so fancy establishment. Best decision we made. Not only did they love the food, they loved everything about the restaurant as well. We will be taking more out of town visitors here and giving them the Ethiopian food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZeyadVIPDined on 7/16/2014It was a different experience and taste of food, which I do every few years,
- Lovely eveningneighborVIPDined on 7/11/2014Really liked sitting outside watching the crowds go by, on a lovely Friday night. Food isn't the absolute best Ethiopian I've ever eaten in Washington, but very good, with at least one dish I hadn't tried before. Service pleasant, friendly. The Ethioppian beer was especially good. We liked it very much overall.Special Features:
- Perfect date for foodiesSabrinaTDined on 7/10/2014We loved Das Ethiopian. Delicious, authentic food (even my Ethiopian husband agrees), and the ambiance is perfect for any occasion. Great for people who like to try new things and enjoy other cultures' cuisines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and service!FedGovEngineerDined on 7/5/2014The food was very good, we ordered the Ethiopian Food Sampler with beef and chicken. The waitress made a suggestion to get chicken instead of all beef and it was the best suggestion ever! It is a great restaurant to try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahhhh! Love this place!Webby2000VIPDined on 7/3/2014The food and the service was simply outstanding! I would highly recommend This restaurant to the neophyte and expert alike.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Food excellent and interesting, service friendly and efficient.
- YUM!HonoluluDined on 6/28/2014My family of 5 had a great time. Each of us chose a serving, so everyone was happy. The waitress was fabulous and the owner was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyonenoexpertDined on 6/23/2014Where can you go to find a menu with many options for carnivores and vegetarians alike? Das Ethiopian is such a place. We dined outside on a week night for dinner: 2 vegetarians and one meat eater. The veg crowd went for 1 veg sampler and 1 spinach and rice house special. The other went for short ribs. The dishes were served with plenty of delicate injira and the server brought more without being asked. The food was tasty but a bit milder than expected for Ethiopian. Maybe that is due to its Georgetown location. In any case the food was plentiful. All diners enjoyed their meals and half the short ribs went into a take-away box. Finished with delicious cappuccino and a coffee flavored tartufo to share that was just the right size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive foodShiokDined on 6/14/2014We paid about US$25 pax. The food was pretty meager and we had to keep asking for top up of the staple roll. Service was pretty inattentive. When we asked for servettes, only one was given for the party of 8. Come on, must we share one paper napkin? It was most relunctantly given too, with a glare.