Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
1201 28th Street NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dasethiopian.com/
- Phone: 2023334710
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Celebrated for serving some of the best Ethiopian dishes available, the award winning restaurant continually delivers the freshest fare, while using local and sustainable food sources.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Contact 2023334710
A word from Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
DAS Ethiopian offers you a cozy two story setting, with rare outside dining views and al fresco patio dining in season. DAS is located at the eclectically brilliant historic corner of the internationally renowned shopping district of Georgetown. A tent under which all come to feast is the very Amharic definition of DAS, and that is what you will enjoy here. From neighborhood diners, nearby students, journalists, to international visitors and performers, all enjoy the casual but refined atmosphere that serves up the freshest Ethiopian dishes from local and sustainable food sources. Let us know of your dining plans now so we may accommodate any extra needs or private dining desires you may have. We look forward to serving you again and again!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Das Ethiopian - Georgetown reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (34)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (26)special occasion (19)good for groups (15)great for lunch (10)scenic view (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DeliciousFoodieGroupieDined on 8/28/2014Great food, good service, nice location, can't complain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!LaritaDined on 8/23/2014I love this cozy restaurant, romantic, quiet and personal. I met my husband there and we usually go have dinner in this restaurant for our anniversary. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placegoodfood22Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, service, decor, and ambiance. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very disappointing experienceMac56Dined on 8/8/2014We had a disappointing experience at Das. From the moment we sat down we felt that our server was only interested in rushing us through our meal and out the door. We chose the vegetarian and beef/chicken tasting plates (which had both been recommended on Trip Advisor) but were again disappointed. We received only small amounts of each dish and our server described them in such a rush that we had no idea what we were eating. She kept giving us more bread even when we still had plenty on our plate as if trying to hurry us along. As this was our first experience of Ethiopian food we were looking forward to learning some new things about the food and the culture. Sadly this did not happen.
- Great food for night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We came into the city for just one night and Das did not disappoint. The service was great. The outdoor dining was great for people watching in Georgetown and the vegetarian Ethiopian food was superb. We will definitely go back next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExoticTravellerDined on 8/6/2014Exotic and very friendly ambiance All recommendations were just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the maitre-d in the red pants!NinjaFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014We ate here about ten years ago. We always eat Ethiopian food when we visit DC. This time, I brought my extended family, a total of 12 people. We arrived early, so they set our table up and we were seated soon after our arrival. The servers were very attentive and the food was as good as I remember it. This isn't a fancy place, but it's a great place to dine. We loved the variety of options. We loved the eggplant, chicken, collard greens and shrimp. It's really nice to have the separate soda bread that isn't wet. The desserts and coffee were tasty and comforting. I brought home a bag of their coffee. My mom enjoyed watching all the activity across the street at the Four Seasons. Pretty hip and cool place. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!EthioFoodLoverDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food, came out ver fast and was so tasty. Everyone was so friendly and it was a great location to see out the window and people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StycksDined on 7/25/2014Das is a restaurant to dine at romantically or as a group. The ambience suits both occasions. The Staff are extremely attentive and it was impressive to see the owner talking to all the diners as he did on the only other occasion we have visited this restaurant. We so enjoyed the sampling platters the first time we went that we tried them again, we were not disappointed. The menu is varied and interesting, next time something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLuvEverythingVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have been to many Ethiopian places and I must say it was great! We sat by the window inside which was very romantic as well. Definitely coming back and I strongly suggest you try it.Special Features:
- Fancy EthiopianindianfoodieDined on 7/20/2014DC is known for Ethiopian food... And Das Ethiopian was great. Having been to a few of the hole in the wall type places, the food does compare, but is more pricey. We took some out of town friends here because we had no idea how they would react to new food as well as a not so fancy establishment. Best decision we made. Not only did they love the food, they loved everything about the restaurant as well. We will be taking more out of town visitors here and giving them the Ethiopian food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZeyadVIPDined on 7/16/2014It was a different experience and taste of food, which I do every few years,
- Lovely eveningneighborVIPDined on 7/11/2014Really liked sitting outside watching the crowds go by, on a lovely Friday night. Food isn't the absolute best Ethiopian I've ever eaten in Washington, but very good, with at least one dish I hadn't tried before. Service pleasant, friendly. The Ethioppian beer was especially good. We liked it very much overall.Special Features:
- Perfect date for foodiesSabrinaTDined on 7/10/2014We loved Das Ethiopian. Delicious, authentic food (even my Ethiopian husband agrees), and the ambiance is perfect for any occasion. Great for people who like to try new things and enjoy other cultures' cuisines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and service!FedGovEngineerDined on 7/5/2014The food was very good, we ordered the Ethiopian Food Sampler with beef and chicken. The waitress made a suggestion to get chicken instead of all beef and it was the best suggestion ever! It is a great restaurant to try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahhhh! Love this place!Webby2000VIPDined on 7/3/2014The food and the service was simply outstanding! I would highly recommend This restaurant to the neophyte and expert alike.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Food excellent and interesting, service friendly and efficient.
- YUM!HonoluluDined on 6/28/2014My family of 5 had a great time. Each of us chose a serving, so everyone was happy. The waitress was fabulous and the owner was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyonenoexpertDined on 6/23/2014Where can you go to find a menu with many options for carnivores and vegetarians alike? Das Ethiopian is such a place. We dined outside on a week night for dinner: 2 vegetarians and one meat eater. The veg crowd went for 1 veg sampler and 1 spinach and rice house special. The other went for short ribs. The dishes were served with plenty of delicate injira and the server brought more without being asked. The food was tasty but a bit milder than expected for Ethiopian. Maybe that is due to its Georgetown location. In any case the food was plentiful. All diners enjoyed their meals and half the short ribs went into a take-away box. Finished with delicious cappuccino and a coffee flavored tartufo to share that was just the right size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive foodShiokDined on 6/14/2014We paid about US$25 pax. The food was pretty meager and we had to keep asking for top up of the staple roll. Service was pretty inattentive. When we asked for servettes, only one was given for the party of 8. Come on, must we share one paper napkin? It was most relunctantly given too, with a glare.
- Great!thaifood4lyfeDined on 5/25/2014Great service, unique cuisine. I would definitely return to this restaurant again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodBlueXVIPDined on 5/24/2014Food was hit/miss. All the items we ordered were tasty, but the 'extras' that come with it seemed rather bland and boring. Service was very friendly, though with a few language barriers (nothing we couldn't work out).Special Features:
- A Nice SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014I'm not really into eating ethnic food but my boyfriend wanted to go to an Ethiopian restaurant so I did some research. There aren't too many in the city but I did some comparing and decided on DAS Ethiopian. I am so glad that I did! He had a chicken dish and I had a beef dish which they brought on one plate so that we could share it. It definitely added to the romantic atmosphere. I thought it would be weird to eat with my hands but it actually was quite interesting. The staff were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. Overall, we were very pleased and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodHappyCustomerDined on 5/10/2014The injera is very tasty and addictive! I always crave it the next day after eating there. The shrimp and eggplant are my favorite dishes. And the mild cheese curd was very intriguing and really quite good. The place is romantic and the service is friendly. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- delicious eveningGGirlDined on 5/2/2014food was incredible, service was wonderful and a table outside on a beautiful evening... no complaints! lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 212 reviews are from the Das Ethiopian - Georgetown reviews archive.
- Loved it!ShariVIPDined on 4/28/2014I'd never eaten Ethiopian food but read the reviews and was eager to try Das. There were four of us dining and our waitress kindly explained the style of ordering a variety of dishes and sharing everything. It took a little practice to eat with our hands but we enjoyed every bite. I'll definitely come again next time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- AmazingJenjanDined on 4/26/2014Service is perfect. Treated special. Best Ethiopian in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale EthiopianChilangaDined on 4/24/2014Ethiopian food with white table cloths, candlelight, a decent wine list, desserts and jazz! It's a bit pricier than many other Ethiopian options, but it's one of the only Ethiopian restaurants in Georgetown/West End and they do it pretty well. I took several of my Georgetown students there to celebrate the end of the semester; most of them were Ethiopian food virgins but after a brief explanation about the injera (like: it's not a napkin, don't put it on your lap; eat with your right hand only, etc.) ... they all enjoyed the experience. The small dining room made conversation a bit challenging, but overall it was a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentBinrahVIPDined on 4/18/2014The food is excellent, moderately priced and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- instant coffeetravelingcoupleDined on 4/18/2014The food was generally good, not great. Our waitress asked if we would like to have dessert and brought out dessert menus. After some time and after we had chosen something, the host (owner) came by and asked if he could take our dessert menus. He did not ask if we wanted to order anything. Immediately behind him came the waitress with the check. I told her we would like dessert and ordered one as well as decaf coffees. She seemed perturbed. The dessert was quite good. The coffee tasted like Sanka. We asked if it was instant coffee. She said no, that she had made it with powder. She did remove it from the bill at our request.
- Love, love, lovedeerobeatsDined on 4/17/2014I adore this restaurant. Best Ethiopian food in town full of heavy competition in that arena; beautiful setting and decor (and well-selected background music); and consistently warm and excellent service (I note that a number of the waitresses have been there since my first visit about 2.5 years ago). Oh, and you get to be in Georgetown without being in the thick of it (as evidenced by the fact that I always find parking nearby). You can't go wrong with this place. The owner really cares to ensure that you have a great experience here every time.Special Features:
- dcdinerVIPDined on 4/13/2014Lovely restaurant which i can recommend even though I am not a big fan of Ethiopan food. Perfect place to take friends who love Ethiopian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDannyVIPDined on 4/13/2014We've been here once before and the food is excellent. The service is equally as wonderful. We had four people in our party and we each ordered something different so we would have the same thing. The server did make recommendations and everything was so wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Siempre que visito Washington , vengo a comer aquí. Muy recomendable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/ Fair ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014The food here was excellent. The service was not great. They completely forgot about our food and it took a couple of reminders to finally get our food out. I was not in a hurry, but it is disconcerting when everyone around you who arrived after you is getting their food and you are not. But, I will reiterate, the food here is excellent!Special Features:
- First Time ExperienceSouthernerDined on 4/7/2014The food and service was really great. First time experience eating Ethiopian food. No utensils needed; only bread and very colorful and tasteful food. My daughter and I really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time charmerghawk16VIPDined on 4/6/2014My first outing with Ethiopian food! Pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the food. The waitress was very nice and helpful guiding us through the menu as we had no clue! The only downside for me was the injera. This is a form of bread that is used as the method in which to eat the food. Kind of spongy and served cold. Being from California I am more comfortable with warm bread or tortillas for this type of eating. However, my overall impression was very positive and I will defiantly go back. Met the owner who was very easy to talk with and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the place is small and itdadaVIPDined on 4/5/2014the place is small and it was packed the day we went there so we had to wait another 20-30 minutes even if we had a reservation. Since place is small, it was moderately noisy with the customers chatting around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I suspect patrons of DAS areProfDined on 4/5/2014I suspect patrons of DAS are more cows the night I was there than the actual country of Ethiopia...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in GeorgetownVetrenCosmcRokrDined on 4/4/2014Nice location on the edge of Georgetown. Food was delicious. Fun to eat traditional style with no utensils although they will provide forks upon request. Tables are a little small. They get very busy so reservations are suggested. As will all of Georgetown parking is very limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.