Darwin's on 4th
1525 4th Street
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Darwin's on 4th
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.darwinson4th.com/
- Phone: 9413432165
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Wednesday - Thursday:5:00pm - 11:00 pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Peruvian, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Darwin Santa Maria
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Open to customer's need.
- Entertainment: Wednesday 8:00pm to 11:00pm Undr8ed - Contemporary Hip Thursday 8:00pm to 11:00 pm Ben Hammond - Contemporary Hip Friday 8:00pm to 11:00 pm Bryan Spainhower - Classic Guitar Saturday 7:00pm to 10:00 pm De Corazon - Latin Jazz Fusion Trio
- Special Events: 4/19/2012 Beer & Food School at Publix on University. 4/21/2012 SRQ Film Festival after party 11:30 pm. 4/28/2012 St. Pete Anna Faiola Model Casting.
A word from Darwin's on 4th
Urban Street Food and Brewery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Darwin's on 4th - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Darwin's on 4th reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (42)vibrant bar scene (39)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (31)romantic (26)hot spot (26)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)great for lunch (5)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014We sat at the food bar and were entertained the whole evening. The good was so perfect. It is definitely one of my favorite places to eat in Sarasota. We have been several times and it is consistently excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014An all round positive experience. Accommodating to gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darwin's on 4th ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Food was inventive and very well prepared. Nice selection of drinks; home brewed beer, full bar, after dinner drinks. Overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome.......as always!BraveheartVIPDined on 8/23/2014Darwins on 4th is one of our go to places. We know it will be welcoming, the service is great and the food fantastic.Special Features:
- mateyDined on 8/20/2014My first time to Darwins and we had friends from South Africa visiting. The quality, presentation of food and staff friendliness made the night one to remember. All four of our group chose different items from starters to dessert and we all were quite pleased! We will definitely be back. For once we all felt like we got exactly as we were expecting!! Yea !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvsarasotaDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time at Darwin's. We were celebrating an anniversary so wanted a more up-scale restaurant. This place has exceptional food and the service was great. We loved the atmosphere and decor. They had live music in the bar area, but we were seated near the kitchen where you could watch the cooks. Next time I think we would like to sit where we can watch the band, but overall, would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Food is diverse and full of flavor. Ambience is very warm and makes you feel like you are in South America. If there was any doubt about authenticity, the Pisco Sour cured that. Pisco is not a common drink in the US. This one was made just like the ones I have had in Peru. Great place. Can't wait to take some friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and beerkel14Dined on 8/15/2014We make a point of coming here while on vacation. The food is fantastic. The spiced porter is one of the best I've had. The people who work there are friendly and very attentive! I love Darwin's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuLucyspinDined on 8/8/2014Food was well presented, cooked perfectly, and delicious. Outstanding dishes. Weak point would be their home brewed beer. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OMGBibberoDined on 8/8/2014I'm fairly new to the area and the food and service at Darwin's were the best that I have had in Sarasota. The flavors were amazing and the presentation was excellent. I had a chance to talk with Owner/Chef Darwin briefly as he was orchestrating the activity in the open kitchen and he was open and friendly. Without a doubt Darwin's is now my go to spot for taking out of town guests and family. My only surprise was the dessert that they called flan which was more of a chocolate mousse. So be wary if you are looking for the traditional flan to cap off the meal. It was tasty but not the light finish that I was hoping for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We wish they would bring back their strip steak with truffle fries. It was our favorite dish. Still, there are plenty of good items to choose from on the menu. Our waitress was nice, and our meals were terrific.Special Features:
- Awesome placeFoodnutDined on 7/31/2014Darwin's continues to impress me every time I dine there. They have wonderful service to compliment their outstanding food. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy and too unorganizedlocavoreDined on 7/26/2014What should have been a wonderful dining experience was marred by poorly trained front-end staff and having to yell across the table to be heard. The quality and cost of the food was not in keeping with the ambiance of the place.
- Family Night OutMarvinVIPDined on 7/26/2014I took my son his wife and children as well as my wife to dinner here. The food was fantastic. We had cerviche for starters the beef and mix to. We had a variety of dishes but mostly the skirt steak it was outstanding the kids ate everything but the plates. The adults had some of the special cocktails and evryting drink wise was to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cindiVIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food with interesting flavors, but menu has been Americanized. Music was nice, but too loud to talk over
- Saturday eveningSaba4dinesDined on 7/12/2014Fabulous food and the home brews match the food. If you want the quality without the noise go a little earlier. Good music after 8 on Saturday'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night to RememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014My fiance and I were having our anniversary dinner there on Monday, July 7th. The staff was truly amazing. We had the perfect table, our server was friendly and attentive without hovering. (She should be commended for the excellent service she provided!) Words cannot describe how good the food was. It was a truly magical night, and they made us feel like celebrities. I already loved Darwin's, but after Monday night, I love it even more.Special Features:
- Excellent mealeplangDined on 6/21/2014Very tasty, excellently presented food. Staff, in particular our waiter "Jordan", was very attentive. It was fun watching the cooks at work in the kitchen. The pairing of beers with the Savor Sarasota menu was a very interesting experience. All in all an excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Food But NoisyCarrotDined on 6/21/2014We wanted to hear the guitar music, but other reviewers have warned about the noise level in (and above) the bar area so we ate in the separate dining area. Unfortunately, the noise level there was so high we couldn't hear the music, nor could we have a pleasant conversation. My gluten-intolerant wife enjoyed the Wahoo Tiradito and the Risotto and my Sirloin Burger was very good (and huge). Very nice meal presentation. I had a flight of their craft beers, which was interesting but contained too many unusual flavors for my taste. I will stick with my regular IPA. Attractive decor with very good food and service. Overall an above-average restaurant for Sarasota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of lunch in Miraflores!KCsewDined on 6/20/2014In Sarasota on business and couldn't believe I found a Peruvian restaurant! EVEN better a wonderful one with a server who is a native. In fact, most employees looked Peruvian!! Piscou Sour!!! Try one! Daniela even knew where we could purchase Piscou. Tried the Ceviche/Tiraditos sampler dish (your choice, but I had...Mayan shrimp, Beef ceviche and tuna Tiradito...amazingly different flavors, just the right portion for me. My husband really enjoyed the grilled sea bass with black bean sauce and other Peruvian accompaniments, including huge kennels of roasted corn. Also, try the Kalken Cabernet Sauvignon. Live music and not too loud in the back where we were seated.Special Features:
- Always a treatChrissyVIPDined on 6/16/2014The service is always professional, the food is fresh and interesting, the drinks are fabulous!Special Features:
- A lovely experiencepattycakespoodleDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant was quite interesting, with all the touches of copper and wood. The (I believe) owner seated us and was not upset because one of our group wasn't able to attend at the last minute. He put my walker right near me (nice to have access to should I need to use the rest room). The waitress was adorable, helpful and knowledgable. The portions were not aimed at long distance truck drivers - they were just the right amount. We went for "Savor Sarasota", but I know we will be back, and soon, as it was a most pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu choicesDiJiDined on 6/14/2014We went to the restaurant because it was part of the early June "Savor Sarasota" promotion. We were disappointed that we had to ask our waitress for the special-price menu instead of simply being given it. Our service was prompt but not particularly friendly. The micro-brewed beers offered as pairings with our entrees and desserts were excellent. The wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent use of flavors!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Excellent food. Great use of flavors everything merried well together It was a shame the beer of my choice ran out after the first glass though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Try againLindaDined on 6/13/2014It is very difficult to rate a restaurant when it is Restaurant Week. I find it frustrating that most of the restaurants that participate don't give you the special menu. That being said..the meal was great but very small I will try Darwins again because I think it was due to the Savor Sarasota WeekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoBeDinersDined on 6/13/2014Savor Sarasota menu was excellent. We especially enjoyed the craft beer pairings; a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findMathprof62Dined on 6/13/2014During Restaurant Week, we took the opportunity to try new restaurants in our area. I am so glad that we chose Darwin's! The restaurant really had so much character and atmosphere. We sat in the loft area where we had a great view of the tv, the musicians and most of the other diners. Our server was Darby (I think). She was wonderful! We ordered from the prix fixe menu. Everything was excellent and the portions were the perfect size. They also had a very good wine list. We eat out a lot and this will become one of our regulars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love Darwin's!LifetimeDinerDined on 6/12/2014From the first time we dined at Darwin's we fell in love. The atmosphere is romantic but fun, and the food is just amazing. Chef Darwin has outdone himself on the beer pairing so perfectly with his elegant menu. Love the presentation of dishes! Sometimes I feel badly destroying them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh and tastyTerrybDined on 6/9/2014I always try something different when we go to Darwin's as the mixture's of flavors and textures is outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing treat!foodmustbgreatDined on 6/9/2014We tried Darwin's as part of Savor Sarasota and we WILL be back often. It had a diverse menu with Peruvian influence. And their own microbrews that were paired perfectly with each dish were exceptional. They have an inviting bar/lounge area to come and have a drink and snacks. For dinner next time I want to try sitting at the round to watch the chefs do their final preparations. Lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatDwatsonDined on 6/7/2014Nice location. Food was great. Just a little loud for my taste. Hard to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darwin's is fabulousNatalieWDined on 6/7/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere, interesting and well-made cocktails, Darwin's was a great place for a night out! Good for group or romantic dinners! My only negative comment was the service could have been a little better. Server was perfectly nice, but seemed like it took a while to get order in. Food was outstanding and I already know what I'm going to order when I go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timegordandmaxDined on 6/6/2014This was a first time for us both at Darwins and their food type, it was marvellous.Special Features:
- Fantastic find in Rosemary DistrictAnonymousDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant was a gem! Great service, menu with many delectable options, great ambiance. From the ceviche to the meal, we enjoyed every bite!Special Features:
- Great foodAndyDined on 6/6/2014The taste of the food was pretty amazing. The portions were not huge. More of a tapas size.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014food is great, service outstanding. Noise level badSpecial Features:
- Good placejfkbikeVIPDined on 6/4/2014Bar scene was hopping and food was good if not great. Service was a bit slow but ok.Special Features:
- A Gem!ClassyfoodVIPDined on 6/4/2014All the food was great, with impressive presentation. The service was impeccable! It was quite a treat to visit such an impressive restaurant while visiting Sarasota! Loved it! The owner took the time to conversate and share his interesting story about their brewery. We will definitely return when we're in The area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!srqfoodieDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant delivers delectable, artfully prepared dishes. The server was professional and gracious. Happily we have found a neighborhood restaurant worthy of repeat visits, there are too few in Sarasota.Special Features:
- cant waitDebbVIPDined on 6/2/2014I travel to Sarasota about 4 times a year for work. I am eating at Darwins on 4th 2x this trip because its soooooooooo good. I do not have anything but praise for the resturant, the food and staff. I had the pleasure of speaking with Darwin and found out he is a Johnson and Wales grad[to me the proud Mother of a Johnson and Wales grad that explaned a lot]. Thanks for a great mealSpecial Features: