Darwin's on 4th
1525 4th Street
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Darwin's on 4th
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.darwinson4th.com/
- Phone: 9413432165
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Wednesday - Thursday:5:00pm - 11:00 pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Peruvian, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Darwin Santa Maria
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Open to customer's need.
- Entertainment: Wednesday 8:00pm to 11:00pm Undr8ed - Contemporary Hip Thursday 8:00pm to 11:00 pm Ben Hammond - Contemporary Hip Friday 8:00pm to 11:00 pm Bryan Spainhower - Classic Guitar Saturday 7:00pm to 10:00 pm De Corazon - Latin Jazz Fusion Trio
- Special Events: 4/19/2012 Beer & Food School at Publix on University. 4/21/2012 SRQ Film Festival after party 11:30 pm. 4/28/2012 St. Pete Anna Faiola Model Casting.
A word from Darwin's on 4th
Urban Street Food and Brewery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Darwin's on 4th - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Darwin's on 4th reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (24)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (22)romantic (18)notable wine list (9)late-night find (9)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- peruvian specialists19yearsstrongDined on 10/25/2014The selections on the menu were all Peruvian in nature with a generous selection of options, presented beautifully!Special Features:
- Coming back for sureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Very cool design. Fantastic food and waiter. Food is interesting and delicious. Had a great time.Special Features:
- Second visit a year apartAyoungbrwrDined on 10/22/2014After our first excellent experience dinning at Darwin's last year, we decided to try a repeat performance. It was even better than we recalled. We met Chef Darwin and the very talented Brewmaster Jorge for a nice talk. The service was very good without feeling rushed. The pacing of the courses were timed perfectly. Food was fantastical! The Tuna steak was cooked to perfection and by far the best I had ever had at any restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing!!DonnaHDined on 10/15/2014Great beer and amazing food. The service was fantastic . If you describe your taste in beer they match you up with the perfect beer.Special Features:
- Back off on the Salt....DiscerningdinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014We gave Darwin's another try after 4 mo. and were once again both impressed and dismayed at the same time. Again, the dining room setting upstairs and the service were almost flawless and the selection of Craft Beer, Latin American wines and creative mixed drinks really perfect for a small group night out. We loved the appetizer selection and started with a innovative Caesar salad that still lingers in my taste buds memories. But when it gets to entree's the kitchen overkills everything with salt which totally overwhelms the real flavors of the food and making it almost unpalatable. We should have sent a "no salt" request to the kitchen with the order (we unfortunately did not) and would highly recommend anyone reading this do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the line Peruvian cuisineMickDDined on 10/11/2014Took my family here for my daughter's birthday. We had heard about it from a local pub who was starting to carry the Darwin Brewery line of beers. Traveled from Tampa (1hr+) to get there. The food was excellent, the presentation amazing, and everyone enjoyed their various drinks. Having said that, I don't think the food was any better than Terra Sur in Tampa, and I think that Terra Sur is more 'authentic' Peruvian. At just under $200 for dinner for four with one drink apiece (not including tip), we may return here for special occasions, but probably won't be regular customers. Don't let that deter you, though--if we lived closer by, we'd be dining there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014We've been to Darwin's several times - the food, service and ambiance are always fantastic! Our server was great at helping us pick out one of their craft beers.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Great food. Awesome home brews. Good service and chilling atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs improvementUnhappyDined on 9/27/2014We were very disappointed with our dinning experience after having had several other good experiences. The service was, to say say the least, horrendous...thirty minutes to place our order, one hour to receive our food aft searching out our waiter and asking him to follow up. Food was very good, but the high noise level was very annoying. Our dinner lasted 2 1/2 hours! Not sure if we will return.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great serviceLuigiDined on 9/27/2014Been wanting to get there for some time. We wer not disappointed. Creative and tasty dishes. Great service. The valet parker was greattoo.Special Features:
- AmazingislandgirlDined on 9/26/2014This was my second time at Darwin's! The entire dining experience is what going for dinner is all about. The ambiance, food and service is beyond excellence..They nailed it!!! This hidden gem is my favorite restaurant in Sarasota. Don't even think twice about trying it, just go!Special Features:
- Delicious dinner,great serviceShelbeeVIPDined on 9/24/2014Friendly server, right there when you needed her, never intrusive. Try the spicy martini, not too spicy, just right and delicious. Calamari and pork belly appetizers were wonderful. I had the short ribs ... fall apart tender and rich wonderful flavor. My husband had the skirt steak which was also very flavorful and tender. Great sides. Wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skirt steakMarvinVIPDined on 9/23/2014I have eaten at Darwin's many times the food is always great cocktails are very good and the service is always very good consistently a very good place to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014One of, if not the, best duck dinners, I've ever enjoyed. My wife also really liked her crab cake but, agreed after tasting my duck, that it was superb.Special Features:
- CatsDined on 9/18/2014We had a nice meal. Waitress was very nice and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014We sat at the food bar and were entertained the whole evening. The good was so perfect. It is definitely one of my favorite places to eat in Sarasota. We have been several times and it is consistently excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014An all round positive experience. Accommodating to gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darwin's on 4th ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Food was inventive and very well prepared. Nice selection of drinks; home brewed beer, full bar, after dinner drinks. Overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome.......as always!BraveheartVIPDined on 8/23/2014Darwins on 4th is one of our go to places. We know it will be welcoming, the service is great and the food fantastic.Special Features:
- mateyDined on 8/20/2014My first time to Darwins and we had friends from South Africa visiting. The quality, presentation of food and staff friendliness made the night one to remember. All four of our group chose different items from starters to dessert and we all were quite pleased! We will definitely be back. For once we all felt like we got exactly as we were expecting!! Yea !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvsarasotaDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time at Darwin's. We were celebrating an anniversary so wanted a more up-scale restaurant. This place has exceptional food and the service was great. We loved the atmosphere and decor. They had live music in the bar area, but we were seated near the kitchen where you could watch the cooks. Next time I think we would like to sit where we can watch the band, but overall, would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Food is diverse and full of flavor. Ambience is very warm and makes you feel like you are in South America. If there was any doubt about authenticity, the Pisco Sour cured that. Pisco is not a common drink in the US. This one was made just like the ones I have had in Peru. Great place. Can't wait to take some friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and beerkel14Dined on 8/15/2014We make a point of coming here while on vacation. The food is fantastic. The spiced porter is one of the best I've had. The people who work there are friendly and very attentive! I love Darwin's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuLucyspinDined on 8/8/2014Food was well presented, cooked perfectly, and delicious. Outstanding dishes. Weak point would be their home brewed beer. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OMGBibberoDined on 8/8/2014I'm fairly new to the area and the food and service at Darwin's were the best that I have had in Sarasota. The flavors were amazing and the presentation was excellent. I had a chance to talk with Owner/Chef Darwin briefly as he was orchestrating the activity in the open kitchen and he was open and friendly. Without a doubt Darwin's is now my go to spot for taking out of town guests and family. My only surprise was the dessert that they called flan which was more of a chocolate mousse. So be wary if you are looking for the traditional flan to cap off the meal. It was tasty but not the light finish that I was hoping for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We wish they would bring back their strip steak with truffle fries. It was our favorite dish. Still, there are plenty of good items to choose from on the menu. Our waitress was nice, and our meals were terrific.Special Features:
- Awesome placeFoodnutDined on 7/31/2014Darwin's continues to impress me every time I dine there. They have wonderful service to compliment their outstanding food. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy and too unorganizedlocavoreDined on 7/26/2014What should have been a wonderful dining experience was marred by poorly trained front-end staff and having to yell across the table to be heard. The quality and cost of the food was not in keeping with the ambiance of the place.
- Family Night OutMarvinVIPDined on 7/26/2014I took my son his wife and children as well as my wife to dinner here. The food was fantastic. We had cerviche for starters the beef and mix to. We had a variety of dishes but mostly the skirt steak it was outstanding the kids ate everything but the plates. The adults had some of the special cocktails and evryting drink wise was to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cindiVIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food with interesting flavors, but menu has been Americanized. Music was nice, but too loud to talk over
- Saturday eveningSaba4dinesDined on 7/12/2014Fabulous food and the home brews match the food. If you want the quality without the noise go a little earlier. Good music after 8 on Saturday'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night to RememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014My fiance and I were having our anniversary dinner there on Monday, July 7th. The staff was truly amazing. We had the perfect table, our server was friendly and attentive without hovering. (She should be commended for the excellent service she provided!) Words cannot describe how good the food was. It was a truly magical night, and they made us feel like celebrities. I already loved Darwin's, but after Monday night, I love it even more.Special Features:
- The following 440 reviews are from the Darwin's on 4th reviews archive.
- Excellent mealeplangDined on 6/21/2014Very tasty, excellently presented food. Staff, in particular our waiter "Jordan", was very attentive. It was fun watching the cooks at work in the kitchen. The pairing of beers with the Savor Sarasota menu was a very interesting experience. All in all an excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Food But NoisyCarrotDined on 6/21/2014We wanted to hear the guitar music, but other reviewers have warned about the noise level in (and above) the bar area so we ate in the separate dining area. Unfortunately, the noise level there was so high we couldn't hear the music, nor could we have a pleasant conversation. My gluten-intolerant wife enjoyed the Wahoo Tiradito and the Risotto and my Sirloin Burger was very good (and huge). Very nice meal presentation. I had a flight of their craft beers, which was interesting but contained too many unusual flavors for my taste. I will stick with my regular IPA. Attractive decor with very good food and service. Overall an above-average restaurant for Sarasota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of lunch in Miraflores!KCsewDined on 6/20/2014In Sarasota on business and couldn't believe I found a Peruvian restaurant! EVEN better a wonderful one with a server who is a native. In fact, most employees looked Peruvian!! Piscou Sour!!! Try one! Daniela even knew where we could purchase Piscou. Tried the Ceviche/Tiraditos sampler dish (your choice, but I had...Mayan shrimp, Beef ceviche and tuna Tiradito...amazingly different flavors, just the right portion for me. My husband really enjoyed the grilled sea bass with black bean sauce and other Peruvian accompaniments, including huge kennels of roasted corn. Also, try the Kalken Cabernet Sauvignon. Live music and not too loud in the back where we were seated.Special Features:
- Always a treatChrissyVIPDined on 6/16/2014The service is always professional, the food is fresh and interesting, the drinks are fabulous!Special Features:
- A lovely experiencepattycakespoodleDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant was quite interesting, with all the touches of copper and wood. The (I believe) owner seated us and was not upset because one of our group wasn't able to attend at the last minute. He put my walker right near me (nice to have access to should I need to use the rest room). The waitress was adorable, helpful and knowledgable. The portions were not aimed at long distance truck drivers - they were just the right amount. We went for "Savor Sarasota", but I know we will be back, and soon, as it was a most pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu choicesDiJiDined on 6/14/2014We went to the restaurant because it was part of the early June "Savor Sarasota" promotion. We were disappointed that we had to ask our waitress for the special-price menu instead of simply being given it. Our service was prompt but not particularly friendly. The micro-brewed beers offered as pairings with our entrees and desserts were excellent. The wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent use of flavors!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Excellent food. Great use of flavors everything merried well together It was a shame the beer of my choice ran out after the first glass though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Try againLindaDined on 6/13/2014It is very difficult to rate a restaurant when it is Restaurant Week. I find it frustrating that most of the restaurants that participate don't give you the special menu. That being said..the meal was great but very small I will try Darwins again because I think it was due to the Savor Sarasota WeekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.