Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen
604 Columbus Ave
Boston, MA 02119Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.darrylscornerbarboston.com/
- Phone: 6175361100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Reserved for private events and fundraisers
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5 p.m. - 12 a.m.
Friday & Saturday: 5 p.m. - 2 a.m.
Sunday: Brunch 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.; Dinner 3 p.m. - 10pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We do both drop-off and pick-up catering. Menu featured on our website at www.darrylscornerbarboston.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Our party room can be reserved for a special occasion or private event. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a corner of Darryl"s Corner Bar and Kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Presceia Cooper 6175361100
- Special Events: Monday is reserved for complete buyouts to accommodate up to 100 guests for private events, while an intimate back room can accommodate up to 30 guests daily.
A word from Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen
The “corner bar” is always the best neighborhood hangout and an integral part of the community. Darryl's Corner Bar & Kitchen is just that: the intersection of good friends, great food and live music. Owner Darryl Settles pours life back into the former Bob the Chef’s space with a sleek bar, exposed brick walls and sexy lighting that offers Roxbury, the South End and Back Bay the sophisticated social spot they’ve been craving. The southern-inspired menu is approachable yet dynamic. Diners can look forward to down home comfort food prepared with an uptown twist food in specialties like Traditional Louisiana style Gumbo; Roasted Haddock with Chorizo Corn Chowder and Marinated Tomato and Fried Chicken & Waffles. It's One of the few places in Boston to offer live jazz and R&B, Darryl’s hosts notable musicians 6 times a week. With its cool vibe, a friendly staff and late night menu until 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (41)vibrant bar scene (26)fit for foodies (20)hot spot (20)good for groups (17)late-night find (17)great for brunch (16)romantic (12)special occasion (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Bad & expensive buffet brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Their buffet brunch was so expensive, $24.95 for a meal including french toast, fried chicken, mac & cheese, potatoes, and other southern items like collard greens and grits. $24.95??! What a rip off for cheap food, and that doesn't include any drinks or coffee. I could've gotten an elaborate seafood brunch at a better restaurant for that cost. Plus the service was soooooo slow. The jazz was great but way too loud, so everyone was speaking louder to hear each other. Overall, I would never go back.
- Great for a groupGreattimeVIPDined on 8/7/20148 of us dined here prior to attending the theater. The only small drawback was that we were not seated until the entire party had arrived. Other than that, it was a fun evening. The staff was great, the food excellent and the live jazz combo playing a plus. Always a really good vibe at Daryl's. Another plus is that Daryl is a active supporter of the arts. If you have theater or symphony tickets, there is a 10% discount on your bill. Well done!Special Features:
- excellent service, atmosphereTONTOWDined on 8/6/2014Great spot for any occasion. Terrific food, music and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor lucksolomona152Dined on 8/5/2014Food: The food was absolutely delicious. We loved every piece of our meal. Lots of good comfort food! I'm actually from the south so this made me feel right at home. Plus it came out pretty quickly. Service: It took us over 20 minutes to be served at the table due to "getting lost in the shuffle" but our server was very kind and gracious once he arrived. Noise: There was a band that night which wasn't necessarily our cup of tea but more over we were seated right beside them-- my dinner companion was literally touching the musicians! Plus there was a birthday party happening beside us. These two things made for a VERY LOUD meal. We asked the hostess to be moved but she was unable to accommodate...
- Not a place for conversation...devs49Dined on 7/26/2014While I loved the ambiance of the place, I really don't understand why they serve meals - especially if your can't hear anyone you're speaking with over the music. The sounds really takeover the entire restaurant, which is fun, but not if you want to talk. The food was okay- nothing to really get excited over. I would go back for music- probably not for the food.Special Features:
- Great Food and MusicVgreerDined on 7/23/2014This is a great place to eat and relax while listening to some great music. The staff is very responsive and attentive, from the hostess to the wait staff. The food is awesome, great southern delicacies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Southern CuisinefoodnjazzDined on 7/22/2014Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen exceeded our expectations. We were greeted with a smile and seated promptly. The menu featured traditional southern favorites to more gourmet southern favorites. We were impressed by the manager/owner making his way from table to table to greet the customers and assess their experience. The wait staff was very accommodating. The food was absolutely delicious. Being jazz lovers, the best part was the jazz. The entertainment was an added treat. The group was phenomenal. We suspected that they were from the Berklee School of Music. This was confirmed when we asked one of the group members. Our only disappointment was that there was not a bowl placed near the group for tips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Womp womp.NomBostonDined on 7/20/2014I want to like Darryl's. The menu is full of appealing options, the drinks are tasty, and the atmosphere is.... not something I love because I like quiet, but generally fun. However, 2 of the 3 times I've been here, the service has been terrible. This time, my girlfriend, her parents, and I waited 15 minutes to be sat for our reservation; the place was no where near full. We were seated at the end of their second dining room next to two empty tables that were not cleared of used dishes & glasses until midway through our meal. Our server appeared to listen to our orders, but did not, for example, bring an appetizer someone ordered as an entree with the meal. We spent long, dragging minutes waiting for our next courses. Not worth it.Special Features:
- ScottDined on 7/20/2014Chicken and waffles were solid but didn't blow me away. The chicken was moist and perfectly cooked, just didn't have a ton of flavor. The service was perfect though and I'd definitely return. My wife's kale salad was thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Darryls. The food was great and we loved the live entertainment. My only complaint is that the drinks are a little pricey. We ordered 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and a desert along with 5 drinks total. The bill came to around $150 and about half of that was the cost of drinks. Still worth the money, just thought I'd mention it.Special Features:
- Great as usualSharonFanDined on 7/18/2014Always one of our favorite spots. The food is great. Music just as good. Service is stellar! So much fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great music and food!BostonDined on 7/18/2014Restaurant manager greeted us at door and was super friendly. Awesome place to enjoy great food and music. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Sunday Jazz BrunchNMCSDined on 7/13/2014I frequent Darryl's quite a bit for brunch. Their food, jazz, and attentive waiters keep me coming back. Very friendly, efficient service, and you can't beat the all-you-can-eat soul food brunch with live jazz music.Special Features:
- Went to dinner and a show, amazing!amerrinDined on 7/11/2014My girlfriend and I went to Darryl's before our Phantom of the Opera show. The food was amazing (where else can you get chicken and waffles), the beer was tasty, the waiting staff was friendly and quick, and the music was amazing. Overall, 5/5 - I will definitely be back. Also, we received a 10% discount just for showing our tickets!!! Great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aviator85Dined on 6/26/2014I took my girlfriend here and I have to say it was worth it. We had the Shrimp Gazpacho, Hush Puppies, and the Fried Catfish Strips for apps. They were all delicious! Hush Puppies were crisp, catfish was moist and flaky with a little crunch. I had the Beef Short Ribs and my girlfriend had the Fried Haddock. The short ribs fell apart and the sauce they were in was heavenly had a sweet/salty/cinnamon flavor that paired perfectly with the short ribs and mashed potatoes. My girlfriend did have one cocktail that did not suit her taste and we had to send back but this was a non-event. The staff handled it perfectly. They took it back, got her another one and took it off the bill without even blinking. Overall a wonderful date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Boston vibeJustBostonDined on 6/25/2014Upscale 'comfort food' with a laid back, ultra friendly vibe and jazz soundtrack. Try the gumbo! Not many places in Boston where people of all colors come together - this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placePennyVIPDined on 6/20/2014Darryl's is one of our very favorite places in Boston. The food and service are terrific, and even the other patrons are friendly. We always recommend Darryl's to friends, and we return whenever we can. It's nice to find a place with such tasty side dishes.Special Features:
- Father's DayQuelz617Dined on 6/15/2014The food was good and the music was great! However it may have been a bit too loud for our 4 month old baby, otherwise it was a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:
- As good as everLloydVIPDined on 6/12/2014Darryl's is one of the real fun places to eat in Boston. It's a real find for anyone going to Symphony Hall, Jordan Hall, or the Huntington. The food is delicious (though I shouldn't talk, since I get practically the same thing every time--the wonderful glorifried chicken with asparagus and yams. Outstanding! My only complaint--I wish they'd expand the dessert offerings. But I'm usually too full for dessert anyway.Special Features:
- Didn't appear to be open3girldogdadDined on 6/7/2014We arrived for our 6pm reservation, it appeared to be dark, we saw chairs on top of the tables, so we left and found another restaurant.
- A good findKathyMDined on 6/4/2014I was meeting a friend that I don't see often so we went a bit on the early side. therefore I can't speak to what the place is like later in the evening. I got a good feel from the place tho. It looks like the live music would be worth checking out. I loved the decor and ambiance. The staff was friendly and the food was very good. I had the glorifried chicken with collard greens and mashed potatoes. Yum. Nice bite to the greens too. My friend had the fish taco's and she really liked them. Diverse crowd and even tho it was early (5:30-6:30) on a Wednesday there was a decent gathering at the bar and a few tables were full. Would love to go again a bit later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backMIckJVIPDined on 5/30/2014Found Darryl's through some reviews for some before Pops dining. It is only one visit but it is on the list of places I want to go back to time and time again to try more of the menu. Tasty home cookin', great service and jazz. All good.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceTred1Dined on 5/29/2014Went there with a decent sized party after a graduation. Food was great but service could've a bit more attentive. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great find!1967ogVIPDined on 5/23/2014We were in Boston for one night, didn't want the quite fancy dinner. Saw Darryl's and said Comfort Foodhere we Come. We went late and found we had live music . Ordered drinks and food. The evening never disappointed ! Great vibe ,Great food, Great place. A must go if you like food and music. GO!Special Features:
- function being heldOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/20/201475% of the restaurant was turned over to a function with speeches being given with a microphone. As a party of 2, we were stuck in a side room and could hardly speak to one another. Fine to host a function/private party, but just close down the place to others who could not possibly have an enjoyable time dining during it.
- Great food, great music!AnnevaDined on 5/18/2014Went to Darryl's for brunch. The food was delicious - southern style comfort food really nicely prepared. The music was perfect! We'll definitely return to Darryl's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rebeccaiVIPDined on 5/17/2014wanted to try everything on the menu. food was fantastic especially the gumbo, ribs and etoufee. would love to go back for brunch so I can try more!Special Features:
- great night outdjenx6Dined on 5/16/2014Nice spot to grab eat, grab some drinks, listen to a live band or DJ, and dance if you want to. Went on a Friday night with a 10:30 reservation, wasn't seated till 11, only negative of the night. Everything else was great, food a little on the high end, but not bad. Great social atmosphere, and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemBigflakDined on 5/13/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here, at her request, because we enjoyed the food and service during our first experience at Darryl's Corner a feomths back . The food and the service were even better this time. All three of our meals were outstanding -- shrimp and grits, jambalaya, and short ribs. A free birthday dessert -- a homemade cheesecake -- was out of this world and plenty large enough for all of us to share. Our waitress was warm and friendly, very knowledgeable about the menu, and non - obtrusive. Our only complaint is that parking can be a little challenging. Can't wait to go back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not A Happy Mother's day BrunchTantaBEVDined on 5/11/2014I love Darryl's - that is why I picked it when a friend was visiting from out of the country for Mother's Day. I booked the table weeks ago...in fact, all the times were open at that point because the date was so far away. We were seated at a table that was next to the buffet, in a corner - the only way to get to the table was ask people on the buffet line to move. You could move your seat back to get up without the buffet line being asked to move. I get that they were obviously busy on a holiday, but we literally had the worst table in the restaurant and no one apologized or offered us a free drink or anything. The music was great, the food, the service is always good but really dissapointed in how our table was handled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud Music, Slow Servie, Ok foodFoodie101VIPDined on 5/3/2014I got the salmon burger and it was a little fishy. My friend got the shrimp and grit and that dish was very good. The server gave me the wrong receipt.Special Features:
- Excellant Food, Loud MusicLittleCDined on 5/3/2014The food was excellent, with the exception of the hush puppies which were very dense and undercooked. Fried chicken, ribs, gumbo, everything else was great. Service was a little slow, but our server was very accommodating of various requests. The live music was way too loud, which was a shame because the singer was very good. Will return soon.
- great music and foodJackDined on 5/2/2014The atmosphere was great. Food and music were terrific . Our experience was marred though because the service was terrible. Not enough place settings or water glasses and it took several requests to rectify and the attitude was not very welcoming. Our order was never received in the kitchen and the waiter never checked status. We inquired after waiting over an hour for our food. His attitude was initially apologetic but nothing was offered to compensate us. Then the poor service continued with long delays in bringing refresher drinks etc and the wait staff attitude grew sullen each time we had to ask for our drinks, check, and to go bag. Too bad because we left feeling that we would not return despite the good food and entertainment.Special Features:
- fabuloussuperbDined on 5/1/2014darryl knows how to show us a good time. we have thoroughly enjoyed his expertise in the entertainment world for many years and are very happy for his many successes in life!Special Features:
- our dinner at darrylsbestfoodDined on 5/1/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed the food at Darryls corner bar and kitchen. The service from the time we approched the front door till we left was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysLloydVIPDined on 4/25/2014The glorifried chicken is wonderful with superb asparagus on the side and dee-lish-ous can died yams. My only complaint is the limited number of desserts. It's a great place and more fun than most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 531 reviews are from the Darryl's Corner Bar and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Many many timesTasteeVIPDined on 4/19/2014I've dined at Darryl's repeatedly. I'm grateful for the dinner/music revival in the area. The noise level can be overwhelming if you're not use to that type of environment, but it's a great spot for the locals as well as well as a first time visitor to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- short and sweetKBearDined on 4/18/2014You can't beat live jazz combined with wonderful food, service, and atmosphere. I am a repeat customer and recommend Darryl's to others looking for a memorable dining experience. I admit that my mixed drink wasn't very good, but go elsewhere if that's an important factor, and their wine ended up being OK. Note: Rating their noise level isn't fair since they hold live performances...Special Features:
- Great food and live jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014Live jazz is great and the food was great, too. This combination does not happen often. Food is mainly southern soul food, so they are typically a bit spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 33rd BIRTHDAY DINNERLTQUEENBDined on 4/5/2014I've eaten at Darryl's before for a night out with the girls. We had an awesome time so I made dinner reservations for 4 people for my birthday. Saturday night at 7:15pm but we were running late. I called and the hostess changed us to 7:45pm without any issues. We were seated in the back room next to the door. Honestly "dim lighting" is an understatement. We had to use the flashlight on our iPhone to see the menu!! Hint Darryl's - when multiple customers are doing the same thing - it's so not cute! Our server was great and was able to provide input on the entrees. Drinks were small - probably an 6oz glass with mostly ice so we only had one. The band sounded great but in the section we were seated you don't get the live music experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.