946 N. Jackson St
Arlington, VA 22201Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://darnava.com/
- Phone: (703) 988-2378
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Lebanese
- Executive Chef: Michel Dawaliby
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from DarNa
Arlington's newest restaurant,DARNA, which means “our home” in Arabic, melds the traditional elements of the Arabic culture with modern culinary excellence. Come and taste the finest of Lebanese and Middle Eastern cuisine. Indulge in one of our craft cocktails or house made soda's. Experience your meal surrounded by our warm, rustic decor that makes your dining experience unlike any other. Join us this evening, and treat our home like you would your own. As we say in Arabic, “El dar darak,” our house is your house.Continued
Reservations on Open Table for the restaurant only; for lounge reservations call 202-803-1677.
Reservations on Open Table for the restaurant only; for lounge reservations call 202-803-1677.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
DarNa reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (2)hot spot (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- EllieellieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food was very good, portion size good since plenty of left over for the next daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice looking place but over pricedeatarlDined on 9/29/2014I must say, if we didn't have Groupon and had to pay full price, I'd not eat there. Obviously, I won't be going back. There were only 2 tables the night we went in for dinner but the service was very very slow. We were also disappointed for the food. We ordered spinach pie and there were only 3 small tasteless pies for $8. My entree was spiced basmati rice ($17 just for rice??) and I added lamb ($5). I had imagined rice with seasoning, slices of almond and some other things but the food came with just some orange color rice and a few pieces of lamb on top with a few slices of almond garnished and a bowl of yogurt dipping sauce. The place looks nice and clean but no wonder there was no other customer
- Hookah and food, 5 star....DiningDanniDined on 9/6/2014The hookah and the food at this restaurant are five star; however, they need to improve their customer service. It was poor. I'll just leave it at that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice environmentCrysDined on 8/23/2014Service was fantastic, rice needed some butter. It was quiet and the music was soft and appropriate. We had reservations at 615 and received a confirmation call 15 mins priorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle Eastern findLMBFVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our reservation was for Monday night at 8. We were the only ones in the restaurant although the upstairs lounge was busy. The menu was broad and looked more interesting than many other similar restaurants we had been to. The lamb in the kabobs was flavorful but the rice was dry and the vegetables undercooked. The service was excellent. The waiter bent over backwards to make us comfortable. He substituted veggies for bread when we told him that one of us was gluten free. The prices were a bit high for the quality but we both would go back to try other dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the DarNa reviews archive.
- Amazing FoodBonnieDined on 7/18/2014Some friends of mine with family from Jordan introduced me to this restaurant and assure me that the food is legit. Even if it isn't, it's amazing!! We just order a ton of mezze and share - the Lebneh and Za'atar are my favorites. Every time we've gone, the restaurant is practically empty and the servers always seems like it's their first day and they've had no training - they can't answer questions easily and we ordered two different beers only to have the waiter come back and say they didn't have them. But that doesn't bother me, not in light of the amazing food. Try it out, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Food was so so. Service wasfoodVIPDined on 4/11/2014Food was so so. Service was ok. Much fewer parking spaces comparing to the restaurant capacity. Being at an inconvenient and unattractive location, it needs to do better with its food to survive.
- Food was deliciousStuffedDined on 3/29/2014The Mezze sampler was excellent. The fava beans were really good and the fried cauliflower cooked just right. The very light pita bread kept us from getting too full. Enjoyed all the Mezze dishes we tried, except the little spinach pies which were really inedible. They comped us a delicious warm chocolate dessert to make up for our disappointed with the spinach pies. Our waiter was very good. We will be back. One thing we hope is changed- the chairs. They are not comfortable! Ask for a booth.Special Features:
- DarnaDenzelMogVIPDined on 3/21/2014Darna had very good food, which i recommend. The upstairs lounge is a very cool spot for groups to have drinks and food and have hooka. Has music and a few tv's at the bar if you want to watch a game. I recommendSpecial Features:
- Excellent food!BethVIPDined on 2/23/2014We had a wonderful time at DarNa. The food was excellent and the service attentive. As previous reviews have said the cold appetizers were very tasty; the bread fresh, fluffy, and warm; and the main courses delicious. They have done a superb job witht he interior decorations and the wine list is nice. I would definitely recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was poorElleVIPDined on 2/22/2014I was very excited to find a Groupon for this new-ish restaurant within walking distance of my home. Sadly, I fear I will not be returning. While the food was decent, nothing was so amazing I would need to return. However, even if the food were great, the service was abysmal. It seemed as if our waiter didn't understand a thing we requested. For example: He got part of the order wrong, I asked for a specific wine, he nodded, then came back 5 minutes later to ask which wine I'd ordered by pointing to it on the menu. Finally, when we requested the checke, he disappeared for 20 minutes! We caught up with him and went with him to specifically get it rung up at the bar.
- Mezzes pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/22/2014Very nice restaurant. The staff was really helpful. The entrees are pretty good, but I think the mezzes were better. So go and load up on small plates. Lounge upstairs has great TV viewing!Special Features:
- Great DinnerClaudiaDined on 2/20/2014I loved the relax ambiance. The service was great and the wine recommendations were amazing. We shared a flavorful Mezza Sampler for appetizer and my Kafta Kabob was delicious. I'll like to go back soon to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014It seems that there are not enough waiters. I had to wait a long time for someone to acknowledge that we were at the table. Then it took again a long time for them to bring water. I asked for more bread and it never arrived. The place started to get chilly so we ended up taking the desserts home.
- Valentine's DayValentinesDayDined on 2/14/2014There was a Valentine's day menu on the table, with no prices. The waiter, instead of telling us about the menu, asked us what we would like to start with. We had to ask him about the menu and he said we had to order from the menu and pay $100 for 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 1 desert, and 1 bottle of wine (wine wasn't mentioned on the menu; he had to tell us what they were). The mezza platter, entrees, desert were great. Wine was good. Service was lacking. The waiter did not come out to ask us how things were, nor did he come by throughout our meal. We had to flag other wait staff down to get more water and ultimately the check. It also got very cold during the meal. The host/hostess should do a better job of keeping the front door closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very bad serviceneccoDined on 2/14/2014both the hostess and waitress clearly had no idea what they were doing. meal took nearly 2.5 hours in total. half hour from requesting the check to actually receiving it, then another 15 minutes after i gave them my card. a real shame because the food was excellent and normally i can overlook shoddy service, but this was bad enough that i probably won't be back.
- V-day DinnerLoveByrdsDined on 2/14/2014I was looking for a nice romantic place to have dinner for Valentines day and OpenTable helped me discover DarNa's yummy Valentines Day special menu. It was an overall enjoyable experience. The lamb was delicious, the waitress was attentive and the ambiance was truly romantic. My only qualm was that our table seems too close to the couples on both sides of us. Sharing such close space was a but intrusive while on a romantic dinner date but it wont stop me from visiting again some time. I hope to visit the lounge some time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SaladsSaraVIPDined on 2/9/2014I love Mediterranean appetizers especially the variety of salads. We ordered the cold sampler. It was great. I could have eaten it for my meals. The pitas were hot and light. They had some fun drinks. I got a mint strawberry bacardi lemonade. It was good.Special Features:
- Good food but so-so experienceMarvinDined on 2/7/2014If you're looking for top-notch Mediterranean food at reasonable prices this is a great place, but the atmosphere and service were a bit lacking. The cold mezze sampler was tremendous--best babaganoush I've ever had! The entrees were also very good. But I can't help thinking that the restaurant is just a loss leader for the hookah lounge upstairs. We were there on a Friday night and it was almost empty, and still the service was VERY slow. We went upstairs after eating and the lounge was quite busy and had far better service. Also, the dining room was very cold, making it harder to enjoy the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic middle eastern!it2llcDined on 1/25/2014Having been in the middle east and eaten the food there, I can say this rates just as well as a good restaurant there. The pita bread is hot and fresh which is always a deal breaker, even if the rest of the food is good. We tried some mezze and a couple of entrees and everything was great. I think the owner actually grew up in the region so he knows how to make it authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic. Very Nice Restaurant!WineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 12/16/2013DarNa is relatively new to the Clarendon/Virginia Square neighborhood and it is a great addition. The facility is beautiul...chic & modern with some traditional accents, just look past the Hess gas station and JiffyLube. The food is very good: some of the dishes might be rice heavy and meat light but delicious nevertheless. The staff were attentive but we were dining at an off-peak time. Entree prices are reasonable and the wine list has modestly priced selections. Kudos! The upstairs lounge is also very popular, particularly or hookah. Looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed feelingsliverpoolgirlDined on 10/8/2013the service was a bit slow and inattentive, which was odd considering there were only two tables occupied in the restaurant. my friends enjoyed their food immensely, but my chicken was dry and bland. the appetizers were fantastic,though. i would give the place another shot in the hopes that my experience was a one-off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The reservations manager didShereefDined on 8/29/2013The reservations manager did not recognize my request through OpenTable, however, he did seat us right away. Not sure where the fall through was. As usual, a very energetic place with a great staff on board. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and environmentOobiDined on 8/24/2013My husband and I had a great time here. The food, especially the braised lamb was excellent. The service was also great.Special Features:
- Second IftaraiselimDined on 8/1/2013Excellent Iftar Buffet. Good variety and very tasty food. The service is excellent and the ambience is homey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverchargingOmar2VIPDined on 7/10/2013Not a great experience with the proposed dinner brunch. The food overpriced. I was charged around $ 28 dollars as a tip that I did not include and did not agree with. No one took the initiative to suggest a refund or a complimentary invitation.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2013The food was really good and easy parking was a huge plus! The location is a little odd but it was actually nice to be away from the craziness of Clarendon where I never can find parking any more. We were there for a 7 PM reservation on Saturday night and there was only one other party of two dining in the restaurant. This place just opened in April so they really need to work on getting the word out. The service was slow but very friendly. If you want something, you really need to get your server's attention (which was odd because they were not busy at all.) Again, the food was delicious so I will definitely give this place another try and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ambiance, good food,RalphDined on 6/16/2013DarNa just recently opened. The interior designer did an awesome job, great interior, it gives a lounge feeling to this restaurant. Regrettably we were the only customers!!! The restaurant definitely has to work on advertising so people become aware of this place. The service was good, could have had some more time between courses though. The quality of the meals was good overall. If you like mediterranean meals then this is definitely a place you should visit. I wish the management the needed clientele they deserve!Special Features:
- Surprisingly greatGGD100VIPDined on 6/8/2013Unassuming from the outside. Across from a Hess Station in what looks like an old warehouse or something. Spectacular food and drink inside. Best Lebanese food in this area. Highly recommend. Great cocktails too. I was genuinely surprised at how good it was and I don't say that often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gem in Arlington!GYomDined on 5/12/2013Very impressed by this restaurant, great authentic Lebanese food and the waiter was over the top nice, loved the decor. All in all a great experience. I will definitely go back and recommend it to everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit- Mother's DayGreenfoodieDined on 5/12/2013The waiter was very informative and comp'd my Mom's meal for the special occasion We had a total of four in our group and everyone enjoyed their meals. The dishes served with the cucumber yogurt were specifically popular. I am adding this to my favorite list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.