1610 20th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.darlingtonhousedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323722x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 5:00pm;
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:30am until 5pm Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabio Begggiato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Happy Hour Monday - Friday & all sporting events in the Cantina Pub
A word from Darlington House
Darlington House is a historic Row house that has been transformed into a multi-level restaurant & lounge in the heart of DuPont Circle. Fabio and Patricia Beggiato have poured all their passion and training into every aspect of this house and created a lively restaurant serving rustic yet refined Italian cooking using simple, fresh organic and sustainable ingredients. A breathtaking urban scape through bay windows in the main Dining Room and Circle Bar (1st floor), make this one of DC's most charming dining rooms. The Cantina Pub (street level)is a rustic, casual and family friendly neighborhood bar with great Pub Grub, TV's & a delightful outdoor patio. The second floor Library is a perfect venue for your next private affair; seating up to 70 & receptions up to 150. Exquisite cocktails and an extensive and thoughtful wine & beer list make Darlington House the perfect place to relax with friends & neighbors. Brunch is served every Sat & Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Darlington House reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (23)romantic (23)good for groups (23)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good meal in a gorgeous settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014The best part of this restaurant is it's atmosphere. It looks like a classic and elegant home on the inside, making the diners feel like they're a guest in a wealthy neighbor's dining room. It has great views over the farmers market on Sundays. The downstairs is a dark and cozy pub, which is definitely worth checking out at night for a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchjtdsonDined on 10/26/2014Our group included people with various diets -- Paleo, pescatarian, low Fodmap, etc. We all found something to enjoy. It was wonderful and the staff was very helpful.Special Features:
- sam11Dined on 10/20/2014The service was slow even though it was Monday and few people in the restaurant. The menu is generally uninspiring and the food was good but nothing special.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningyum1Dined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful experience in this beautiful restaurant with our multi-generational group. The wait staff was very attentive, and the restaurant was very accommodating to our large group. Great variety on the menu. Some of the sides were not as flavorful as we would have preferred (lentils and potatoes), but overall a very lovely evening.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodBennyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Fabio Beggiato is one of the finest chefs in the USA and Italy. He fixed the most amazing Osso Bucco Milaese style with saffron riostto. The dining experience was magnificent with great service, great food and great wine.Special Features:
- What a find for lunch!livetoeatDined on 10/17/2014I took a friend here for a birthday lunch, and it was great! I had pasta with salmon and it was perfect - freshly made pasta, wild Alaskan salmon, and just peas/mushrooms/olive oil for sauce. So yummy! We both had nice salads to start and split a terrific apple tart for dessert. The only downside was that the coffee wasn't great.Special Features:
- Good to talkLocalboyDined on 10/4/2014This is a good neighborhood place to talk, whether catching up with family or friends, while enjoying an excellent brunch. You can also watch the street scene from the upstairs windows without suffering the traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningHappyMom3Dined on 9/27/2014Attentive and friendly service, excellent food. We had a party of 8 celebrating two special occasions. The staff was helpful in menu selection offering to serve the appetizers family style, plating two beautiful arrangements - one for each side of the table. Entrees were all very good and we had fun sampling each of the desserts. They made a champagne toast special by adding fruit to the flutes of the couple we were toasting and brought them a house gift of tiramisu - thoughtful touches that made the celebrating special and an overall wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!NoreenVIPDined on 9/19/2014I absolutely love Darlington House. I have been there three times, and each time I have loved it. The service is excellent. It is very quaint inside and perfect for a small group party or just a romantic evening. All of the pasta is homemade and absolutely DELICIOUS. They also change their menu seasonally so I've had the chance to try a few different dishes.. All very pleasing. I would HIGHLY recommend Darlington House! If you're debating, don't. Go! Go! Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Darlington HouseBillyVIPDined on 9/17/2014The food and service is always impeccable. The servers are always checking on the table. And the food is great. We enjoy taking our friends and family to Darlington House.Special Features:
- Fun placejhetwillsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food, good wine for a good price. Service was excellent!!Special Features:
- Fabulous placeCass2157Dined on 9/13/2014One of the best dinning experience I have had. The food was outstanding, we had pasta. We had a meat and cheese plate for an app and it was wonderful. The staff were very good, they did not hover but where there when you needed something. I would go back again if we had the time.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerERNurseDadDined on 9/12/2014First time at Darlington House and was pleasantly surprised. Dinner for my birthday with 4 close friends. Lovely meal, lovely time. Great staff (teamwork/communication was a challenge...too many people involved with our table and things didn't get done, i.e., appetizer out after salad and soup because order wasn't place. They comp'ed it, so happy with the resolution). Food was EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchdsmithboyDined on 8/24/2014Quite surprised and delighted with our first time here. We love to have Sunday brunch and decided to try something new for a change. Delighted with food, service, and the transformation of this old Victorian on DuPont Circle neighborhood was a nice addition to our destination list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014I went here on a Sunday morning. The view is quite nice and it is near the Farmer's Market. We had reservations for 2 people at 11:15. Maybe that is early for brunch these days but I was surprised to see that the place was relatively empty. It began to fill up a little on our way out. As for the food it was a solid meal. The waiter was nice and I personally recommend the donut holes. They have 2-3 good vegetarian options if that is important and they can modify it to your liking. Its a solid dining experience overall.Special Features:
- Spectacular once againBennyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Fabio Beggiato is one of the finest restauranteurs in Washington, DC. His food is always excellent and his staff is friendly and on top of their game. Another great meal at Darlington House.Special Features:
- Great food, service...not so muchdinnerfoodieDined on 8/16/2014My party and I loved our dishes but service was questionable. At times there was a language barrier. I had to ask for bread, it wasn't initially given to us, and when I asked for butter, they thought I was talking about the ingredients of the bread. I asked about the types of gelato they had for dessert, and they said they did not have that, only the other three options, but I saw other people in the restaurant with gelato. Weird. I asked for Reisling, he heard Rose and brought me that. They were kind enough to change it out for me. They brought out my dish and I asked if my mixed greens were coming and they asked me if I wanted that on the side or some like that, like it wasn't originally w/my meal. Later on, they brought them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply SuperbBennyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Fabio Beggiato is a food genius. He's simply the best in the business.Special Features:
- great spotRegmrgVIPDined on 8/10/2014very good food at reasonable prices. convenient to dupont circle and metro.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group DinnerClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 8/9/2014Another Awesome meal with friends. One of the best Italian restaurants, Period! We always start at the bar and slowly move to the table where we ask Ernesto to prepare something for a starters. I am always pleased. Tonight was no different as friends requested to go to the Darlington House after their first time there 5 months ago. Great pastas and lemon chicken was all outstanding....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten free foodLstarrhDined on 8/9/2014This was worth the walk for us to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere and the gluten free pancakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExpectationsAgSurpherVIPDined on 8/4/2014Not sure why, but I had high expectations for DH. I was NOT dissappointed. Don't let the Swiss flag at this Italian restaurant confuse and/or deter you (Geneva has some of the best Italian restaurants I know)! The host/owner(?) greeted us (genuinely) warmly. It was early and not busy. We were lucky enough to get the window seat overlooking Conn Ave. Marvelous. The service, although informal, was IMPECCABLE. My guest had the Caprese salad; I had the Arugula, Walnut, Pear, and Gorgonzola salad. Both phenomenal. Main courses: Cornish Game Hen and Homemade Ravioli: Both prepared PERFECTLY. Dessert was Apple Tart. Also... Phenomenal. Hey, wait a minute! I must be crazy for posting this! I'd rather keep this hidden gem to myself!Special Features:
- Group diningkmkmintDined on 8/2/2014We dined at Darlington House for my sister's bachelorette weekend dinner. It was great for a group (11 people) and very accommodating, even for late-night dining. Our reservation was for 7:30pm and we dined until around 10:15pm. The food was great, portions were not huge, but it was just enough. Also, the tiramisu was amazing!! They were able to split checks and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend Darlington House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serverEse10612Dined on 7/26/2014Our server was not attentive at all. He barely spoke English and was extremely hard to understand. He didn't bring out our drinks before taking our order and it was hard to get his attention. He also didn't know how to split a check. Food was good, but you better expect to be hungry in a couple hours. Portions are extremely small and kind of pricy for how little they give you. I could have eaten 2 personal pizzas. Full salads here are starter salads at other restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Was a great time for group of ten for a retirement party. All thought entrees and appetizers were excellent. We were given a quiet section upstairs. Service was excellent as well. Very pleased with the experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a sorry excuse for a restaurant. It lacks management and is highly overpriced. The service was incredibly lacking in many regards.
- Can't figure it outthoughtsforfoodDined on 7/18/2014Our group of 8 booked a table a couple weeks in advance, and we were told we needed to offer a credit card for the reservation which would be charged a $50 fee if we cancelled within 2 days. When we arrived at the restaurant, it was extremely quiet. Only one other guest. Our waitress must have been new, because she had a very difficult time explaining the specials to us. Our group ordered a variety of meals, from the risotto seafood special to wild salmon to home made pasta dishes. We were all pleased enough with our food. We had a wonderful time. But the part I truly can't figure out is...we were the only diners! After the single diner left, we had the restaurant the entire night to ourselves. Strange.
- Good food but slowFrequentGuestVIPDined on 7/15/2014I've been to Darlington House a lot, but at lunch it shouldn't take 20 minutes to order food or 15 minutes after finishing for a waiter to come by so we can ask for the bill. Business lunches of one course can't take 90 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/13/2014I've been to Darlington House before for brunch and dinner. I was shocked at how empty the restaurant was for Sunday brunch but then when I saw how disappointing the service was I understood why. It was as if everyone was asleep and just going through the motions. I love the look of the space but will be very reluctant to go back with such poor service. I shouldn't have to flag over a bus boy to find my waiter so that I can order when there are only 4 tables occupied. Then one of two drinks shouldn't be forgotten and I also shouldn't have to ask for more coffee. Plus, the bus boy dropped and shattered a tables worth if cups creating quite a commotion and distraction since at this point there were only 3 occupied tables.
- Absolute Gem in DupontOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014I tend to have very large groups (around 20) for my birthday parties and Darlington House was very accommodating with my reservation. I came a week in advance and spoke with the manager and they assured me that everything would be taken care of. I requested the back part of the dining room where the bar was and everything was set up before I arrive. Some of my party was late but there was no rush from management, which I appreciated. I got a free glass of prosecco because it was my birthday which was a nice bonus. The food was delicious although, I wish the portions were a bit larger. Overall, it was a lovely spot. I'll keep it as my little secret in Dupont for dates or dinners with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTexmomVIPDined on 7/7/2014We loved eating in the Dining Room at the Darlington House! Homemade pasta, great antipasta, impeccable service!
- HOw do Differentiate the Normal?theaspDined on 7/7/2014Food was good, the service was solictous, responsive and helpful and it is as always a plesant experience. And affordable for business lunches.Special Features:
- Incomplete DisclosureRufusDined on 7/4/2014We reserved well in advance for dinner, not realizing the dining room would be closed that day and that we would be diverted to the downstairs pup. We should have left right then, and Darlington house should have advised us in advance that they were virtually closed for civilized dining. Upstairs is a nice place for eating; downstairs is a good place for drinking!
- Warm and friendlymrcndcVIPDined on 7/2/2014Darlington House (and the predecessor Sesto Seno) has been in business for years. No wonder, they cater to the loyalty of their followers. Unlike a lot of restaurants that are ever-new and staff that churns, DH is a place you get to know and they get to know you. Like traveling abroad, it's nice to come home. Going to DH means never having to worry about the consistent, high quality of food and service.Special Features:
- The following 845 reviews are from the Darlington House reviews archive.
- Amazing dinner!finrthingsDined on 6/27/2014Went to Darlington House on a Friday night for dinner and it was perfect! Appetizers, entrees, and dessert were all delicious and the service was very attentive. Nothing can compare to fresh pasta made on-site. All of the vegetables and seafood were very fresh as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and classic ItalianRDLAUSVIPDined on 6/26/2014Our party of six on a Thursday night couldn't understand why this restaurant wasn't packed! The recipes were authentic Italian, and if they don't make their own pasta, they could have fooled me! Darlington House was like a little trip to Italy. Quality food at moderate prices for DC, and the portion sizes were generous (but not obscene - you know where you can go for that!) We can especially recommend the fried calamari and shrimp starter (enough for 2) that was clearly house-made!Special Features:
- Perfect EveningEat2liveandlive2eatDined on 6/23/2014We took an out of town guest here. It was our first time, but we depended on the past reviews. The restaurant is decorated in a very attractive and bright style. We easily found street parking. The food was amazing. We all decided on the fish of the day (which was bronzini). Not a single complaint. The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced. Our server was polite, attentive and knowledgable. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- "Dinner Club" w/Homemade Pasta!MelRoc7VIPDined on 6/15/2014Enjoyed the main dining room on Father's Day with my family who was visiting from out of town. The small, pretty dining room was nearly empty, but it's not intended to be a bustling place, anyway. Host, manager, and servers were all incredibly attentive, but not overbearing. Homemade parpadelle and cavatelli were incredible - uniquely prepared and not your "every day" pasta. Seafood dishes were done well with nice level of marinade that still let the great flavor of the fish come through. Great spot for older and/or more mature crowds. Dining experience was well-paced and quite calming. Great spot for older and/or more mature crowd. Head to the cantina downstairs for more of a bistro/pub feel.Special Features:
- Will be back...smilezDined on 6/15/2014The Darlington House was a pleasant surprise. I had my wedding brunch here with a party of 14. The restaurant is large enough to cater to both large groups and intimate dinners without disturbances. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food took noticeably longer than anticipated, but that may have been because of the size of our party. When it arrived, the food was delicious and well-worth the wait. I will be returning for the brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotCarolDined on 6/15/2014Good spot for brunch. The doughnut holes were a great part of brunch - make sure you order those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.