1610 20th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.darlingtonhousedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323722x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 5:00pm;
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:30am until 5pm Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabio Begggiato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Happy Hour Monday - Friday & all sporting events in the Cantina Pub
A word from Darlington House
Darlington House is a historic Row house that has been transformed into a multi-level restaurant & lounge in the heart of DuPont Circle. Fabio and Patricia Beggiato have poured all their passion and training into every aspect of this house and created a lively restaurant serving rustic yet refined Italian cooking using simple, fresh organic and sustainable ingredients. A breathtaking urban scape through bay windows in the main Dining Room and Circle Bar (1st floor), make this one of DC's most charming dining rooms. The Cantina Pub (street level)is a rustic, casual and family friendly neighborhood bar with great Pub Grub, TV's & a delightful outdoor patio. The second floor Library is a perfect venue for your next private affair; seating up to 70 & receptions up to 150. Exquisite cocktails and an extensive and thoughtful wine & beer list make Darlington House the perfect place to relax with friends & neighbors. Brunch is served every Sat & Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Darlington House reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)romantic (30)special occasion (28)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (20)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (11)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great BrunchdsmithboyDined on 8/24/2014Quite surprised and delighted with our first time here. We love to have Sunday brunch and decided to try something new for a change. Delighted with food, service, and the transformation of this old Victorian on DuPont Circle neighborhood was a nice addition to our destination list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014I went here on a Sunday morning. The view is quite nice and it is near the Farmer's Market. We had reservations for 2 people at 11:15. Maybe that is early for brunch these days but I was surprised to see that the place was relatively empty. It began to fill up a little on our way out. As for the food it was a solid meal. The waiter was nice and I personally recommend the donut holes. They have 2-3 good vegetarian options if that is important and they can modify it to your liking. Its a solid dining experience overall.Special Features:
- Spectacular once againBennyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Fabio Beggiato is one of the finest restauranteurs in Washington, DC. His food is always excellent and his staff is friendly and on top of their game. Another great meal at Darlington House.Special Features:
- Great food, service...not so muchdinnerfoodieDined on 8/16/2014My party and I loved our dishes but service was questionable. At times there was a language barrier. I had to ask for bread, it wasn't initially given to us, and when I asked for butter, they thought I was talking about the ingredients of the bread. I asked about the types of gelato they had for dessert, and they said they did not have that, only the other three options, but I saw other people in the restaurant with gelato. Weird. I asked for Reisling, he heard Rose and brought me that. They were kind enough to change it out for me. They brought out my dish and I asked if my mixed greens were coming and they asked me if I wanted that on the side or some like that, like it wasn't originally w/my meal. Later on, they brought them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply SuperbBennyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Fabio Beggiato is a food genius. He's simply the best in the business.Special Features:
- great spotRegmrgVIPDined on 8/10/2014very good food at reasonable prices. convenient to dupont circle and metro.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group DinnerClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 8/9/2014Another Awesome meal with friends. One of the best Italian restaurants, Period! We always start at the bar and slowly move to the table where we ask Ernesto to prepare something for a starters. I am always pleased. Tonight was no different as friends requested to go to the Darlington House after their first time there 5 months ago. Great pastas and lemon chicken was all outstanding....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten free foodLstarrhDined on 8/9/2014This was worth the walk for us to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere and the gluten free pancakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExpectationsAgSurpherVIPDined on 8/4/2014Not sure why, but I had high expectations for DH. I was NOT dissappointed. Don't let the Swiss flag at this Italian restaurant confuse and/or deter you (Geneva has some of the best Italian restaurants I know)! The host/owner(?) greeted us (genuinely) warmly. It was early and not busy. We were lucky enough to get the window seat overlooking Conn Ave. Marvelous. The service, although informal, was IMPECCABLE. My guest had the Caprese salad; I had the Arugula, Walnut, Pear, and Gorgonzola salad. Both phenomenal. Main courses: Cornish Game Hen and Homemade Ravioli: Both prepared PERFECTLY. Dessert was Apple Tart. Also... Phenomenal. Hey, wait a minute! I must be crazy for posting this! I'd rather keep this hidden gem to myself!Special Features:
- Group diningkmkmintDined on 8/2/2014We dined at Darlington House for my sister's bachelorette weekend dinner. It was great for a group (11 people) and very accommodating, even for late-night dining. Our reservation was for 7:30pm and we dined until around 10:15pm. The food was great, portions were not huge, but it was just enough. Also, the tiramisu was amazing!! They were able to split checks and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend Darlington House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serverEse10612Dined on 7/26/2014Our server was not attentive at all. He barely spoke English and was extremely hard to understand. He didn't bring out our drinks before taking our order and it was hard to get his attention. He also didn't know how to split a check. Food was good, but you better expect to be hungry in a couple hours. Portions are extremely small and kind of pricy for how little they give you. I could have eaten 2 personal pizzas. Full salads here are starter salads at other restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Was a great time for group of ten for a retirement party. All thought entrees and appetizers were excellent. We were given a quiet section upstairs. Service was excellent as well. Very pleased with the experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a sorry excuse for a restaurant. It lacks management and is highly overpriced. The service was incredibly lacking in many regards.
- Can't figure it outthoughtsforfoodDined on 7/18/2014Our group of 8 booked a table a couple weeks in advance, and we were told we needed to offer a credit card for the reservation which would be charged a $50 fee if we cancelled within 2 days. When we arrived at the restaurant, it was extremely quiet. Only one other guest. Our waitress must have been new, because she had a very difficult time explaining the specials to us. Our group ordered a variety of meals, from the risotto seafood special to wild salmon to home made pasta dishes. We were all pleased enough with our food. We had a wonderful time. But the part I truly can't figure out is...we were the only diners! After the single diner left, we had the restaurant the entire night to ourselves. Strange.
- Good food but slowFrequentGuestVIPDined on 7/15/2014I've been to Darlington House a lot, but at lunch it shouldn't take 20 minutes to order food or 15 minutes after finishing for a waiter to come by so we can ask for the bill. Business lunches of one course can't take 90 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/13/2014I've been to Darlington House before for brunch and dinner. I was shocked at how empty the restaurant was for Sunday brunch but then when I saw how disappointing the service was I understood why. It was as if everyone was asleep and just going through the motions. I love the look of the space but will be very reluctant to go back with such poor service. I shouldn't have to flag over a bus boy to find my waiter so that I can order when there are only 4 tables occupied. Then one of two drinks shouldn't be forgotten and I also shouldn't have to ask for more coffee. Plus, the bus boy dropped and shattered a tables worth if cups creating quite a commotion and distraction since at this point there were only 3 occupied tables.
- Absolute Gem in DupontOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014I tend to have very large groups (around 20) for my birthday parties and Darlington House was very accommodating with my reservation. I came a week in advance and spoke with the manager and they assured me that everything would be taken care of. I requested the back part of the dining room where the bar was and everything was set up before I arrive. Some of my party was late but there was no rush from management, which I appreciated. I got a free glass of prosecco because it was my birthday which was a nice bonus. The food was delicious although, I wish the portions were a bit larger. Overall, it was a lovely spot. I'll keep it as my little secret in Dupont for dates or dinners with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTexmomVIPDined on 7/7/2014We loved eating in the Dining Room at the Darlington House! Homemade pasta, great antipasta, impeccable service!
- HOw do Differentiate the Normal?theaspDined on 7/7/2014Food was good, the service was solictous, responsive and helpful and it is as always a plesant experience. And affordable for business lunches.Special Features:
- Incomplete DisclosureRufusDined on 7/4/2014We reserved well in advance for dinner, not realizing the dining room would be closed that day and that we would be diverted to the downstairs pup. We should have left right then, and Darlington house should have advised us in advance that they were virtually closed for civilized dining. Upstairs is a nice place for eating; downstairs is a good place for drinking!
- Warm and friendlymrcndcVIPDined on 7/2/2014Darlington House (and the predecessor Sesto Seno) has been in business for years. No wonder, they cater to the loyalty of their followers. Unlike a lot of restaurants that are ever-new and staff that churns, DH is a place you get to know and they get to know you. Like traveling abroad, it's nice to come home. Going to DH means never having to worry about the consistent, high quality of food and service.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner!finrthingsDined on 6/27/2014Went to Darlington House on a Friday night for dinner and it was perfect! Appetizers, entrees, and dessert were all delicious and the service was very attentive. Nothing can compare to fresh pasta made on-site. All of the vegetables and seafood were very fresh as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and classic ItalianRDLAUSVIPDined on 6/26/2014Our party of six on a Thursday night couldn't understand why this restaurant wasn't packed! The recipes were authentic Italian, and if they don't make their own pasta, they could have fooled me! Darlington House was like a little trip to Italy. Quality food at moderate prices for DC, and the portion sizes were generous (but not obscene - you know where you can go for that!) We can especially recommend the fried calamari and shrimp starter (enough for 2) that was clearly house-made!Special Features:
- Perfect EveningEat2liveandlive2eatDined on 6/23/2014We took an out of town guest here. It was our first time, but we depended on the past reviews. The restaurant is decorated in a very attractive and bright style. We easily found street parking. The food was amazing. We all decided on the fish of the day (which was bronzini). Not a single complaint. The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced. Our server was polite, attentive and knowledgable. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- "Dinner Club" w/Homemade Pasta!MelRoc7Dined on 6/15/2014Enjoyed the main dining room on Father's Day with my family who was visiting from out of town. The small, pretty dining room was nearly empty, but it's not intended to be a bustling place, anyway. Host, manager, and servers were all incredibly attentive, but not overbearing. Homemade parpadelle and cavatelli were incredible - uniquely prepared and not your "every day" pasta. Seafood dishes were done well with nice level of marinade that still let the great flavor of the fish come through. Great spot for older and/or more mature crowds. Dining experience was well-paced and quite calming. Great spot for older and/or more mature crowd. Head to the cantina downstairs for more of a bistro/pub feel.Special Features:
- Will be back...smilezDined on 6/15/2014The Darlington House was a pleasant surprise. I had my wedding brunch here with a party of 14. The restaurant is large enough to cater to both large groups and intimate dinners without disturbances. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food took noticeably longer than anticipated, but that may have been because of the size of our party. When it arrived, the food was delicious and well-worth the wait. I will be returning for the brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotCarolDined on 6/15/2014Good spot for brunch. The doughnut holes were a great part of brunch - make sure you order those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 6/12/2014One of the best Italian places to eat. Truly, the food and service are tops. Great wine selections. Started with mix of Italian cheese, tomatoes and calamari. Pasta was tops!
- A real treat3AgsmomVIPDined on 6/6/2014Wanted a nice place to dine that was easily accessible from Metro while in DC. Selected Darlington House because one of the members of our party particularly wanted Italian. Everyone was very pleased with their menu selections. The attentive service and willingness to accommodate dietary restrictions and/or personal food dislikes made it a delightful evening for all. The flat bread appetizer and salads were excellent. The branzini was cooked perfectly and the lemon/butter/wine sauce on it was light and complemented it well. Make sure you save room for dessert, especially the Tiramisu. A good wine selection added to our pleasure. When back in DC, we will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was OKNYCchicaVIPDined on 6/2/2014Everything was OK. We went here to celebrate a friends birthday. No one at the restaurant went out of their way to make it special. Service was fine but not attentive. Wait staff were fine. They made no recommendations. My friend has a food allergy. They did not seem to care. Probably would not go back but the restaurant was fine for an everyday average meal. NOT GOOD for special occassion in our case. I expected more.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceChrisDined on 6/1/2014Great food and service. There was a wedding going on on the third floor which was quite loud. I would recommend you try this place.
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014The staff was curteous and the food was great. Overall an enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:
- Very niceDanielDined on 5/25/2014Was surprisingly quiet for Memorial Day weekend. The omelets were as fluffy as ever, the hash was great, and the bloody Marys were nice and spicy. Great brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Great food but much too loud. Disappointing after we specifically requested a quiet table and were then seated next to a large and loud party. We were a party of 4 and had a yell across the table to talk. Overall, good restaurant but much much too loud. Please make more of an effort to drown out noise.
- charm, lovely service, good foodakharbsDined on 5/20/2014I enjoy this restaurant. The wait staff are a blast from the past in terms of attentive customer service. The ambiance is lovely, elegant. The food is good, pasta is made there. And you can actually have a conversation and hear what your dining companion is saying.Special Features:
- wsxzaqDined on 5/18/2014The service was really slow, they didn't check on our food until the end of the meal, and the server was generally inattentive and not too friendly. The food was good but not too impressive and there was a wedding reception going on upstairs which meant we could hear all the dancing and shuffling throughout our meal.Special Features:
- Move inOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/17/2014We were delighted to find reservations available when we wanted them on a busy Saturday night. The table we were given was the best in the house. The food was excellent and once we were noticed the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth it!ThePickiestEasterDined on 5/17/2014I had no idea this place existed but I am glad that I found it! Price - I honestly expected the price tag to be much higher, especially when you see how well they did in the other categories. This place is moderately priced. I felt like I got a good sized portion and awesome experience and great service for a rather inexpensive price compared to other DC establishments. Service - Off the charts. Very attentive and friendly. Ambiance - Its like you area eating in an old-time dining room. Well-lit during the day and just enough light in the evening. Such a comforting feeling. Food - Out of this world! I sampled a few different entrees and was impressed with each one them. I wish I had more characters so I could write more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceEstherVIPDined on 5/15/2014I can see why Darlington House has been around forever. It is private, pretty, has high quality food and a nice menu. Particularly appealing is how unpretentious the vibe is. My date and I had an excellent meal of frutti del mar and fish of the day and a couple of glasses of good merlot. The service was attentive. It was a little loud, but only because there happened to be two big groups set in long tables. They were having a good time eating and drinking and talking, so no blame. I'd go there again.Special Features:
- Perfect dinnerfoodieDined on 5/10/2014Great Italian food, charming old building, excellent unobtrusive service....all-around perfect dining experience.Special Features: