10 Center Street
Darien, CT 06870Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dariensocialct.com/
- Phone: (203) 614-8183
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm;
Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is avaiolable for parties large and small. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available for parties of 30 up to 350.
- Private Party Contact: Eileen Del Monaco (General Manager) 2036148183
- Entertainment: Live music every Thursday night at 9 p.m.
A word from Darien Social
A neighborhood restaurant and bar: Just a great place to gather over great food and drink where you always know what to expect – and the unexpected only makes it better.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Darien Social reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Darien SocialJsizzleDined on 11/7/2014Nice place in Darien - looks relatively new/updated bar/restaurant. Pretty noisy on Friday night (particularly in bar area), they probably could have lowered music a little since so many people were eating. Service was a little slow but it was very busy so understandable. Food was very good, prices reasonable. I would go back and recommend for a causal get lunch/dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatoutDined on 11/7/2014My friends and I went to eat dinner and hear a friend's band play. The food was good, service very good and attentive by the waiter and other staff to fill glasses and clear the table. Disappointed in the desserts we ordered because our cheesecake was frozen and the apple tart was not very good. I would skip dessert at this establishment next time but the experience was good otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dolphinDined on 11/7/2014Good food and great service, always. Bar in separate area active and fun many times. An ace go-to spot even with the many choices in the area whether fine entrees or simple casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Like Recent ChangesChipieDined on 11/1/2014I used to like Darien Social for family dinners - I have two kids, 11 and 13. On our latest visit, we learned they'd implemented a policy of seating all children (not sure where the cut off is) in the back room, which is much less desirable than the front. I'm not sure why they did this, but we won't be going back. The food seemed off as well - oversized portions and not that tasty. They also stopped serving bottled root beer, which was one of my kids' favorite items, and they did not have tomato juice either. Again, not sure what's behind these changes, but not good ones in my view.
- Very fun night!mickeylassieDined on 10/11/2014This was our first time at Darien Social and it did not disappoint. We were there for friends whose band was playing Saturday night Oct. 11. The theme was Oktoberfest and all the waitstaff were dressed in Bavarian garb. It was very festive and very lively. The bar was overflowing. We cannot give it a fair rating for the food as we ordered from the special Oktoberfest menu, which was good but not great.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceBennzz61Dined on 10/11/2014The food was good but it the service was a little slow at times. We had to flag our waiter a few times for his attention. The noise was a little too much too. I don't understand why people can't talk at a normal level. It was a struggle to hear someone across the table from me at times. It's like a contest to see who can pretend to be having the best time over the next table.Special Features:
- Darien Social delightBM116VIPDined on 9/13/2014We visited for the first time this weekend and were delighted by attentive friendly service, delicious entrees (short ribs and fettuccini with chicken) and overall warm decor. I would highly recommend and looking forward to returning to this great downtown neighborhood find.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014I love this place and went there with a group of girlfriends. They were closing the week after for some renovations. The service was horrible. They had hardly any of the drinks we ordered and we had to wait around a lot to order food and drinks. Even getting our check and paying took over 20 minutes.
- The following 94 reviews are from the Darien Social reviews archive.
- Timing is WAY offMamaguccDined on 7/18/2014Met friends for dinner and planned to eat in bar area because we were there for the band. I want to state that the waitress was a 10 in courtesy and effort. But we couldn't even get tableware for at least 15 min. After the first appetizer came. Drinks never came for some of us so it was easier to go get your own at the bar. We Did all order about the same time and there was about a 45 minute difference from the delivery of the first diner's entree to the last diner's ....totally unacceptable. Food was good but certainly not great and there is absolutely no reason for any of us to consider dining there again. We will also be sure to let others know how poor the food service was. I have to believe it is a kitchen issue.
- Lobster roll - too small!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014The portions were small! 4 out of 5 of us ordered the overstuffed lobster roll with cole slaw. Before we ordered, we could see the patron at the table next to us had ordered the same dish. When ours arrived, they were all considerably smaller than the patron seated at the other table. Seems as though they were running out and had to divvy it up.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2014This is a neighborhood bar located across from the train station. I was taking my good friend to dinner and we chose this place because of its halfway location between us. It was difficult to find. Parking was difficult. It would have been helpful to know in advance that there were two entrances, one into the bar on one side of the block, one in the back into the restaurant. It was impossible to sit in the bar at a booth (where drinks were half priced) as it was mobbed with shouting men watching a sporting event. We sat in the dining room where service was adequate but not exceptional and food only fair, and drinks very overpriced.
- Nice barootoDined on 6/21/2014Went for a band, and got a booth in the bar, which was perfect. We had dinner and could then stay for the band and dancing without giving up our booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okDateNightDined on 6/21/2014Food was a little expensive. Service was poor - took 20 minutes to get our first round of drinks.Special Features:
- Great food & service but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014Excellent food, excellent service but priced like a high end restaurant instead of a pub that serves good food.Special Features:
- JeanneDined on 6/6/2014Good service, although it trailed off towards the end of the evening. Food good. Too loud, but it is a bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2014The service was awful, which is unfortunate because this place has potential. The food was okay, but I'm sure has the potential for something greater and the venue itself is very cool. Maybe I caught them on an off night, but we waited 15-20 minutes between seeing our server, so much so that I had to ask another waiter to flag him down. I have pretty low expectations because I know how hard it is to be a waiter, so for me to even take the time to write a bad review things must have been bad.
- SirdinealotVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great burgers, salads and beer selection. It a great place to stop in after work or for a casual brunch.Special Features:
- Solid brunchYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014Solid food, mediocre service, especially considering we were one of the only tables at the time. Recommend the lobster cake Benedict! French press coffee was a pleasant surprise although there was barely enough for the two of us to fill a small mug each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the Regular RotationStamfordResidentVIPDined on 5/11/2014One of my favorite restaurants in the area. The bar food is great-- love sitting in the booths in the bar area, much more romantic than the open layout in the back. Always great beers on draft, never been disappointed. Specialty items aren't always up to par, execution-wise, but the full conceptual menu, and flavorings all make sense. This review is for a Sunday night: quiet, only a few families, about 40% of the menu was unavailable and this fact was not announced before ordering (it was announced as we ordered each plate that was not available), not the most polite service but should not have expected more for a Sunday night.Special Features:
- First time thereTheRoadLessTravelerDined on 5/11/2014Was there in a Sunday for brunch. Nice variety of choices on the brunch menu, from breakfast to prime rib and lobster. Will go again.Special Features:
- A real diamondPhilmccrackenDined on 5/11/2014Happened upon this place on Mother's Day and just walked in. Even though the place was jammed they made room for 8 of us and made us feel very welcome. Food was good all round. Even my father in law, historically a miserable disaster of a man enjoyed himself. He didn't pay but we can only hope for miracles. Fully recommend this place, good decor, great ambiance, and more importantly smashing food.Special Features:
- Great food.CTtoMADined on 5/8/2014This place was perfect. We were able to have craft beer and watch a hockey game(on mute), but in a nice establishment that wasn't insanely loud or blasting a tv. The food specials were delicious and the server was very attentive, we will be back!Special Features:
- Girl's night outluv2dineDined on 5/7/2014Darien Social is one of our faves for our monthly gals night out! Great food, friendly and cheerful staff, and half price bottles of wine on a Wednesday....doesn't get much better than that! A real neighborhood gem :)lySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Rustic!kagwoodDined on 5/3/2014The ambiance is right on point. It's comfortable and appointed with wood accents for a warm, almost barn-like feel. The food was delicious! Cooked perfectly, nice portions, and very fresh. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCarolKDined on 4/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner with a bottle of wine. Food was delicious & the staff was very attentive & friendly; would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so happy birthdayMmggDined on 4/3/2014I went there for my birthday & we had really bad service ! The waiter was split between the front & the back sections. We waited forever to be asked our order after we got our drinks ASAP.Then no one brought us our food for a long time. When it the food was finally ready - it came out barely warm & wrong !The waiter didn't listen to the requests - the plates were mixed up & in the end he was mad at us because we didn't eat all of our cold food or ask to take it home. I've eaten there before & but i now say stay on the bar aside if you want attention !Special Features:
- My second time to the restaurant.RierieDined on 3/12/2014My second time to the restaurant. Wait staff is friendly and efficient. The special of the day was really a good deal and delicious. Normally would not have ordered a porter house steak but couldn't pass it up for the price. It is a fun spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 2/28/2014The food at Darien Social is pretty solid, although nothing to wow you. The portions are large and the service is very good. It is a reliable place for a casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014We like to go to DS with a group of friends. It was quiet the night we were there (school vacation) so we anticipated great service and food. Service was great. A bunch of us ordered burgers. All were significantly undercooked. Ordered medium, received very rare. I personally don't ever send food back so ate what part of the burger was not cold. Will return but be sure to be specific about the burger in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedlisazDined on 2/8/2014Wait staff was not very attentive, messed uo our orders so some it didn't come out at the same time. Quality of the food was alright, nothing special.
- Excellent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2014We enjoyed brunch here and there was a great variety and reasonable. Can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, patient wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2014Food was very good, wait staff very patient, ambience was relaxing and conducive to conversation if sitting in the back room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming Small Town RestaurantStamfordResidentVIPDined on 1/30/2014A local favorite-- amazing food and drinks offered, never dissatisfied with anything I've ever ordered. Fun bar scene, great atmosphere, bar booths feel much more intimate than back room dining. Great beers on draft and decent drink lists as well. Have had a memorable experience every time visited.Special Features:
- Well... that was an experience!JAldrichDined on 1/25/2014I had been to Darien Social once before, and had a lovely, quite evening with a friend in a smooth environment. So, imagine my surprise when we showed up for our reservation and were escorted to the back room (bar?), as the main room was playing host to some special event. But that was just where the fun started.... The highlights in no particular order: 1. 40 minute wait standing at the bar AFTER our reservation time. 2. 15 minutes after we sat down that it took a server to show up at our table. 3. "can we get some water?" 4. "that one time i sent my meal back for being undercooked + service so slow my party got to watch me inhale it." i was blessed to have been with a family in a good mood, which made it all humorous. #neveragain
- Great jointmama2boysDined on 1/8/2014Love this restaurant even though the food is not spectacular. Great atmosphere. Ask to sit in the bar area unless you want a private dining experience where the dining room would be more appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013My experience on New Year's Eve was entirely underwhelming. I could probably try it again on a regular night, but I doubt that I'd bother.Special Features:
- Fun, casual diningncrnVIPDined on 12/15/2013This was not our first visit to Darien Social. We have usually had simple but consistently good food (burgers, fries, pizza, calamari, etc). This time the fish for the fish & chips was not as flaky and fresh tasting as usual. Everything else was satisfactory. It's a great place for families or groups and has two dining areas, a busier front room with the bar crowd, and a quiet back room more like a regular restaurant. We would go back.Special Features:
- We had a great meal and aJeanneDined on 10/27/2013We had a great meal and a good time overall. Service was great. Two servers were watching out for us throughout!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- needs work, but still goodDaddioDined on 10/19/2013Service, though very cordial, polite and helpful was pretty slow. it was about 50 min before the main dish arrived. Food was outstanding, place was nice but they need help on the floor.Special Features:
- Very averageFoodie14Dined on 10/19/2013Service was slow. Our margaritas were served in water glasses. Food was nothing special.