736 Dante Street
New Orleans, LA 70118Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.danteskitchen.com/
- Phone: (504) 861-3121
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 6:00pm - Close; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm (NO RESERVATIONS @ BRUNCH)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eman Louiber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have rooms for parties from 8 to 14 guests, or the entire restaurant for parties between 50 - 100.
- Private Party Contact: Neil McClure 5048613121
- Cross Street: Leake Avenue
- Public Transit: 2 Blocks from the St. Charles streetcar line where it meets Carrollton. Get off at the very next stop (at Maple Street & Carrollton) and walk two blocks down Maple Street towards the river until it intersects with Dante Street. We are at the end of the street where Dante meets Leake Avenue.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are lots of street spaces available directly in front of the restaurant.
A word from Dante's Kitchen
Click on the menu button below to visit our website and understand who we are and what we are all about. Don't worry it's easy to make an opentable reservation right from our website also. We let our customers be our biggest P.R. department so check out the review page to see what actual people just like you have to say about us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
Dante's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Carrollton ›
Dante's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (25)romantic (17)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (13)good for groups (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014pork chop very good recommend the chicken under the brickSpecial Features:
- "Chicken under a brick"CfoodandmoreDined on 11/7/2014This dish was outstanding! Served sizzling hot with a perfect blend of seasonings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a superstar! Thanks!IdyoneVIPDined on 11/5/2014It was my job to plan a great dining experience for my party of 6 while in New Orleans for a business meeting. Thanks to Dante's Kitchen I am now officially a Superstar as being able to choose the BEST restaurant experience! The restaurant is located in an old house with a lovely garden. The indoor dining tends to be in small, intimate rooms which was perfect for my rather boisterous friends. The food was OUTSTANDING. We ordered several small plates as starters, 6 entrees and almost every side available since they all sounded so good. Nothing was a disappointment. Although not usually dessert eaters, we decided to "go the distance" and we're delighted with our choices. This is really off the beaten path and sure to amaze your guests!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceMccutDined on 10/24/2014Our meal and experience was good. The mahi mahi special had way too much sauce to enjoy the flavor of the fish, but the rest of the meal was really good. Great atmosphere. This "local gem" is a nice change from a typical tourist spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good This timeMike953Dined on 10/22/2014I love Dante's Kitchen as it is quaint but trendy, the sommelier/bartender is very knowledgable about wines and spirits and knows how to explain the differences if terms you can understand. The food is always interesting. The Corn/Crab Bisque was delicious. The Escargot was great. Chicken under A Brick was very good. The Lamb neck was tasty but the presentation was mooshy (?) looking. My RedFish with crab and Herbs was not to my liking. Somehow the tastes didn't blend for me and I could finish it.Special Features:
- Love this place!MeemseDined on 10/20/2014Always enjoy a meal here and guests are always pleased. Food is usually locally produced as well as seasonal, lovely presentation and inventive menus that change often. Chicken under a brick is a favorite but, that said, we've really snjoyed every entree we've ever tried here. We appreciate that they go against trend and are open Mondays (closed Tuesdays) so we are assured of a great option on Mondays when so many places are closed.Special Features:
- ExcellentMarmDined on 10/12/2014Hard to say anymore, but great food, good wine, and teriffic service made for a wonderful evening in a charming place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total disappointment.Nolawoman430Dined on 10/10/2014Prior to this experience, Dante's Kitchen had been one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans. But my last visit was one of the worst meals I have ever eaten anywhere. Something has happened to the chef, management, or ownership since I had last enjoyed Dante's Kitchen. "A bad day" cannot explain the poor food quality and lackluster dishes. I was terribly embarrassed since was treating a friend to dinner and had so greatly touted the restaurant. I will never return to this restaurant.
- Good food long waitMathgalVIPDined on 8/23/2014The wait between courses was very long. But they comped dessert for that reason. Food was excellent - I recommend the gulf fish!Special Features:
- Delicious Dante's KitchenDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding in every aspect-food, service, ambiance, menu! Dante's Kitchen has it all! I'll definitely return next time I'm in NOLA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninspiringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Great service. Great ambiance. Water logged andouille in the mussels with invisible mushrooms. Soggy fig salad. Local tofu promised loads of flavor but didn't deliver.Special Features:
- service, waiter, chef were great.Funluv24Dined on 8/3/2014Food and service A+. Everyone pleased with choices. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!EZ2PleazDined on 7/27/2014Everything about this place, from the service to the unique dishes, just "works"! Four of is ordered different entres for dinner, and they we all spectacular. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2014no review xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- The following 1030 reviews are from the Dante's Kitchen reviews archive.
- Well-executed mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Great service. Great food. Every room is adorable. I had the chicken under a brick while my mom had the trois mignons. No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood Gem!MetairieAlanDined on 7/25/2014It's hard to find anything bad to say about this restaurant. From the moment you sit down they make you feel like you're a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly OKDamayVIPDined on 7/14/2014The meal here was a little uneven. My husband's chicken was done perfectly, very tender and moist. the Muscovy duck, which I ordered medium rare came out VERY rare and needed to be recooked. An eggplant appetizer was more like a dip with a strange consistency. Overall, not a bad meal, but there are better places for your money
- so delicious!luv2dineDined on 6/30/2014Beautiful and cozy! Duck breast was out of this world. Crazy good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday GemGlitterDined on 6/22/2014Dante's Kitchen is a NOLA find - a gracious and comfortable dining environment in the Riverbend area. Service was exceptional as the server was knowledgable and offered dining information in a conversational manner. The bartender was a true artisan offering unique blends of cocktails - well described by menu and server. A lovely array of selections with focus on local ingredients - pace of courses, presentation, and portions were masterfully created. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food was great, the wine was great, and the service was great. Expectations were met and then exceeded. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatApro7Dined on 5/30/2014Inside of the restaurant was really unique. Loved the bar decor. Our server was pleasant and good with suggestions. The manager was well versed with his wines and was able to point us to a delicious rose. The pork belly app was fantastic. Only thing that could have been improved was the lamb neck entree. The flavor of the meat was great but there wasn't much meat on the bone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicepkwhouVIPDined on 5/26/2014This was my first time here. The server was very attentive and the food was awesome. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service mattersMariaVIPDined on 5/18/2014We came here without reservations. Hostess said it would be at least an hour+. I went on Open Table and there was an opening, so I reserved right there and was seated in 15 minutes. While we were waiting we ordered a drink at the bar. The bartender seemed annoyed. When we were seated, it took a while for the waiter to come. Our questions were answered in a condescending tone, and the food did not come out at the same time. Drinks also took a while to get. But, although the service left much to be desired from a restaurant with a good reputation, the food was excellent and did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Love that Frog in the FogOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2014Really interesting tastes to the food and the cocktails. My teenage daughter got a Frog in the Fog non-alcoholic cocktail that was awesome and made her feel very "adult". The Trois Mignon was a fabulous dish.
- Overall a disappointing experienceAmateurFoodyDined on 5/11/2014Being sit by the kitchen door when other tables were available was the first indication that this dining experience was doomed. The Dante's staff, thankfully, did accommodate our request to be moved, but when our drinks arrived my father's pour of bourbon on the rocks left something to be desired. When he asked the server about it the server indicated that its a 2.5 ounce pour, outing the fact that they measure their pours- a no-no in New Orleans. Our salads, duck and escargot were great, but the shrimp and grits were over seasoned completely losing the shrimp flavor. The pork belly was so-so with its spicy green beans from a jar doubling as their green bean Kimchi. Lastly, I had to get my wine from the bar when our server went MIA.
- Absolutely fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/8/2014I took my girlfriend here for here birthday during a week of moving and final exams. Dante's kitchen was exactly what I needed. The wine was good, every dish was amazing, and the chicken was probably the best I have ever had. It's a little pricy but you quickly forget about the bill as soon as your food arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Time Not A CharmdacashvtDined on 5/4/2014This was our third time at Dante's and we won't be going back. The food is good, but not good enough to justify a $40 cab ride and the hour it takes to get an entree. It took almost an hour between apps and entrees with no apology or explanation. Food comes out randomly and we were lucky we even got their spoon bread. There is also one man that works there who was so rude I almost said something. Don't know if he's a server or what but his attitude alone made me never want to come back again. Really sad, because it used to be one of my absolute favorites in New Orleans. Changes need to be made here with more consistent food, service and attitude.Special Features:
- OaktownieVIPDined on 4/30/2014Remarkable deviled eggs piled high with crab meat aside greens wilted with warm tasso dressing; shrimp and grits with red-eye gravy; and the pork belly with the vegetable kim chee [though lacked usual heat]. Dessert of chocolate pudding and remarkable cookies, and side of skillet cornbread with honey butter: there's a serious baker in the house. But in some dishes seasoning does not get cooked in so much as laid on, and the cauliflower was such a dish. The trois mignons was disappointing, largely because little flavor and meat, while tender and alright, lacked that aged deliciousness. The wompa-wompa in the back room needs to be drowned out with music. Still quite worth going to, just need to order very carefully.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!JerseyGirlDined on 4/30/2014This restaurant came highly recommended from local strangers with who I had to interact with during my first stay in New Orleans. With some dietary issues that I have, the chef Eman Loubier came out to discuss them. Needless to say everything came out perfect and delicious! If I ever get back to New Orleans, you can believe I will be back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plates!LivingwellDined on 4/25/2014I love sampling what a kitchen can do, and prefer to order several small plates/appetizers rather than an entree. We ordered three, and all were unique & delicious. But the Escargot with bordelaise sauce, & roasted marrow bone was just Killer! If you're a foodie, don't miss this one - it's lip-smacking. The service was fine for a busy night during JazzFest - an energetic and pleasant staff who even brought out an extra spoonbread dish for us to enjoy. We'll definitely add Dante's to our favorite NOLA restaurants list.Special Features:
- Nice find!ASWJVIPDined on 4/25/2014Charming place just a hop off the Streetcar. We ate on the patio. Service was very attentive. Great cocktails! Menu was diverse and the food was tasty. The Brussels sprouts were unbelievable and an order can easily be shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud & SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014Let me start by saying, I have been here before and it was great! But tonight was not like that. Patio was loud (should have assumed given the location, my bad) and service was insanely slow. 34 minutes for cocktails. There were only 4 of us and we were literally the only people in the place when we were first seated. I watched people get wine, apps, and an entree before we got our cocktails. And when I asked about the drinks after 20 minutes I was met with a rude "they're coming!" Then we were pushed to order our dinners. Not impressed. I was entertaining an interviewee and it was not ideal. I will go back because the food is fantastic, but definitely never with a time constraint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinnerNancyNYC1Dined on 4/24/2014When visiting our daughter and her husband she insisted on taking us here. Her favorite restaurant in the city. The pork confit and the half chicken were both unbelievable!! Best meal we had in New Orleans! And we've had some great meals! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NolacathieDined on 4/24/2014Service was very good. We were seated outside as requested. Our server knew the menu well and was attentive. My friend and I both agreed that our food was overly-spicy, and that's saying a lot since we are accustomed to spicy food here. I ordered the pork served over greens and could hardly eat it. She had grilled fish with crabmeat and when it was time for dessert, we were both dying for something cool and refreshing. The sorbet trio did the trick! Location and service are good, but not crazy about menu offerings.Special Features:
- Mosquitos were not on the menu!GeorgeVIPDined on 4/19/2014First impression was very promising - outdoor patio seating on a beautiful New Orleans evening! Turned into a mosquito nightmare! Asked to be reseated inside, and we were denied. It was too late to leave because we started our appetizers and already had ordered dinner. Lamb prosciutto was disappointing small scraps of badly sliced lamb, but the smoked lamb ribs were descent. Charred garlic bread was missing the garlic; Lamb neck - sounded different, but was very disappointing; brick chicken much too spicy; and the vegetarian plate was good. Did not stay for dessert - mosquitos already had us for dessert! With so many great restaurants in NOLA, don't bother with Dante's Kitchen!
- Server Needs to be TrainedCalWVIPDined on 4/12/2014My server, who has "only been here 10 months" needs to be properly trained. You might ask for Jen if you want good service. I had a problem with the wine selection. One Pinot noir I had was $18 and not at all worth it. The other was $8 and barely drinkable. What don't you guys get something around $12 or $14 that's decent? La Crema? The food was pretty good-- especially the vegetarian selection. The courtyard is beautiful and there is absolutely no reason to sit in one of the claustrophobic dining rooms. Make a reservation! I did have a problem with this restaurant's lack of dress code. A sweaty guy came in with a sleeveless u neck on and they seated him. I don't care to view anyone's underarm hair while I dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what t used to beMofltDined on 4/12/2014All dishes were cooked as if blackened... Heavy seasoning and very salty. Very, very slow service. Waiter did not check in while we waited either. At end, waiter brought our correct check then charged wrong check to our credit card... Twice before getting it correct.Special Features:
- Surly Service, not worth drivetrojanVIPDined on 4/9/2014From the moment we arrived, we felt we were imposing on their party. Unwelcoming maitre'd who seem offend to be asked for an outside table, a bartender who was doing paperwork and didn't want to be interrupted to make drinks, and waiter who made us feel our menu questions were impositions. Food was solid, but certainly not exceptional. Had hoped for a unique and special NO experience, and were very disappointed.
- beautiful dinner on the terraceEllenVIPDined on 4/3/2014A perfect evening. It was lovely on the terrace, even if there isn't a view. The food was interesting and delicious with some unique items, but the restaurant remains relaxing and unpretentious. The waitress managed to be knowledgeable and attentive without hovering.Special Features:
- Love this place just not last SundaTeafreeVIPDined on 3/30/2014Dante's is one of our favorite places, however Sunday was a beautiful day and they opened their patio and it was popular. The printer broke down in the kitchen, at least that was the excuse. We waited 45 minutes for bread and then another lot of bread came out almost immediately. The Shrimp and Grits- wonderful. The Gulf fish great if you like a slight blackened aspect. The roasted Brussels sprouts excellent. The food was fantastic just super super slow that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.