Dans Le Noir? NYC
246 W. 38th Street
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $50 and over
Dans Le Noir? NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://newyork.danslenoir.com/
- Phone: 2125751671
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Monday: CLOSED - Available for private parties.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us for Pre-Matinee and Late-Afternoon Gospel Brunch every Sunday at 12:30 and 2:30, featuring Live Gospel Music performed in the dark by Arlethia Lindsay and Emme Kemp.
- Cross Street: 7th and 8th Avenue
- Public Transit: 42nd Street/7th Avenue/Times Square/8th Avenue/Port Authority (1,2,3,7,N,Q,R,S,A,C,E,Port Authority Bus Terminal) 42nd Street/5th Avenue/6th Avenue/Bryant Park (7,B,D,F,M) 34th Street/7th Avenue/8th Avenue/Penn Station (1,2,3,LIRR,A,C,E,NJ Transit,Amtrak) 34th Street/Broadway/6th Avenue/Herald Square (B,D,F,M,N,Q,R)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Free street parking after 7:00 pm Monday through Friday, and all day weekends.
A word from Dans Le Noir? NYC
WELCOME TO A WORLD OF SENSES ! Dinner in the total darkness, guided and served by blind people, is a unique experience that changes our perception of the world by reversing points of view. A visit to Dans le Noir ? is not just dinner, it is a sensorial, social, and human experience. First, your senses will be awakened, as you are allowed to completely re-evaluate your perception of taste, smell, and texture. It is a social experience, wherein you are seated at large tables with other guests and allow the darkness to protect you from your inhibitions and free you to experience relationships and interactions without prejudice or preconception. Finally, it is a richly human experience when the blind become your eyes, opening your mind to an intriguing new world of mystery and sensation. Enjoy the famous surprise menu at Dans le Noir ? NYC. Dive into your imagination and rediscover your senses. This place is totally devoid of vanity and everyone must go!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dans Le Noir? NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
- A Bucket List Must - ChecktexasgirlDined on 5/23/2013This was an outstanding experience which allows you to not only switch roles with those who do not see, it also captivates your pallet. The hosts were delightful but they gave too much of the surprise away by trying to sell the experience which is obviously why we chose the restaurant. The dining menu was delicious. Dessert was somewhat boring but the rest was extremely tasty and a little challenging. Our guide Connie was awesome!! The only other improvement I would make was the reveal menu...it looked like it was put together in 1980. The presentation was outdated which just cheapens the 70-100$/per person menu. However, those are just suggestions - the overall experience was a 5. Completely unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sensory experienceLisa27Dined on 5/23/2013The time I spent at Dans Le Noir gave me a whole new appreciation for food. How we eat it and savour the flavours. It also gave me a new appreciation for the visually impaired. I have a small understanding of how much trust is a part of their world. Great food excellent service and an experience worth repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable ExperienceabceatDined on 5/16/2013the place to go if you want to experiences something different, you see food different when you came out the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but a little expensivebrihalDined on 5/16/2013Great waitress, her name is connie. I really enjoyed the uniqueness of the restaurant. Food was good, different and unique. Not at all what I would have ordered but that's the point, experiencing something out of your comfort zone. I think everyone should do this at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencekoxonDined on 5/10/2013Great fun and discovery to eat in the dark. Really dark ! Food is a discovery, the palate feels more sensitive, wines are tasting better and differences are more felt. Great in group or couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad BusinessBrooklyn1Dined on 5/10/2013Unfortunately, the only thing they had get right, they failed at: they served us fish and it could have been lethal to us. And apparently, by reading the comments from other patrons, this is not the first time that happened either. They comped my drinks, but they still made me pay the bill. A good move, since I will never go back anyway. The food was very mediocre and I had stomachache all night. The only pleasant part was being in the dark with a very good friend of mine, which created a sense of intimacy and complicity. Other than that, this business should close down, really.
- A truly unique dining experienceNickandChelseaDined on 5/4/2013We read about this restaurant in a popular magazine, and were delighted to find that it was even better than we had imagined. The price was high, but it was absolutely worth it considering you are paying for an experience, not just dinner. Sam was our waiter and guide, and he did an excellent job not only with serving us, but with adding to our experience. If you want to try something new, and a little out of your element, this is definitely the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The audio works, but no picture...UnimpressedDined on 5/2/2013Dining in the dark - great idea, if you're up for it. If you have a good imagination, the ambience is fabulous. If not, you'll be eating in a dark plywood box. Food presentation is unknown. The food taste is average; a little too salty on some items, a little to much sauce on others, but i guarantee you won't send your plate back. This experience is all about the service. You have to rely heavily on the wait staff for everything, and that is the gist of the evening. In the end you may come away appreciating things you did not expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Dining ExperienceHazzaDined on 4/27/2013This place is not just a resturant, it is a life enhacing experience! The concept is simple; become blind and use your other senses to enable you to eat, drink and meet new people. Although the food was great, the best part of the night was getting to know the fellow dinners and the staff at the resturant. Had such a good time, definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be awesome-too expensivemandyrenoDined on 4/27/2013You think you're paying a flat price but they added in $82 worth of gratuity and "service fee". The food is bland to say the least but the experience was fun. I would absolutely never go back. You are in the pitch black at a group table, while it's fun and interesting they need to seriously rethink their prices. oh and the drinks were terrible. i dont know what that "wine" was that they served but it was horrendous.Special Features:
- Perhaps it was because weOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Perhaps it was because we were their first seating, but the initial introduction piece was a bit confused. Multiple explanations regarding the process, multiple people trying to take drinks orders we had already placed, general lack of communication amongst the staff. It was especially obvious as we were the only ones there. Somewhat alarming was the confusion when food allergies were being discussed - in the end it was alright, but worrying about anaphylactic shock during a meal can be a downer...Special Features:
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Unique experience, everything about it was awesome. Our server was Tina, she was fantastic.Special Features:
- In The Dark!scottDined on 4/13/2013I loved it! Incredible experience, dining in the dark. Everyone and everything was outstanding.Special Features:
- The experience of this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2013The experience of this restaurant is by far something unique and I recommend for anyone looking for something different.Special Features:
- Cool experience, bit pricey,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Cool experience, bit pricey, some food was bland but overall good. Don't go when you have worked all day cause you get sleepy being in the dark for 2 hours. Good for groups, wish I could have sat next to husband but it was fun for our anniversary. i SURE SURPRISED HIM.Special Features:
- Don't go for anything elseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Don't go for anything else but the experience. I would even suggest eating something because you will love the drinks. :) definitely worth the money. Can't wait to go back.
- A unique culinary adventure.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2013A unique culinary adventure. Come with an open mind and ready to enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- Beyond DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/22/2013This is an amazing experience that goes beyond dinning. Roger was a wonderful host. If it were less expensive, I would go here more often. Definitely worth going at least once.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2013Really enjoyed my experience here. The owners are very sweet people and very passionate about the concept of the restaurant and really having people understand more what it is like to be visually impaired in a dining setting. Very cool experience if you can handle going into the darkness for a couple hours and trusting your guides (whoa re visually impaired themselves) show you the way!Special Features:
- To try!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Great experience, Tina our waitress was fantastic and very helpful. The food was correct but somehow disapointing especially if you look at it price wise! It is certainly an unique experience which I recommend to do once but it can be improved with the menu and food quality. It was also quite loud so don't go there if you are looking for a romantic diner but again you need to try that experience.Special Features:
- One of a kind: unforgettable!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013We celebrated a very memorable 75th birthday at this truly unique year-old, first in US destination restaurant. Go eartly if you dont wish to be innundated by prowling millenials. The bar is also wonderful if you just want to go for a cocktail and check it out. Having Happy Birthday sung to you by 20 or so complete strangers, in the dark, tops my list of unforgettable Only-in-Manhattan experiences. I only hope they bring the concept to Philly, a truly foodie city, where we will teach the chef a trick or two.Special Features:
- NYC must-do experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013Dans Le Noir is a must-do experience while in NYC. The owners were so friendly & inviting. Colin, our waiter was phenomenal. This experience was a special part of our wedding trip to NYC. I would encourage any & all people who consider experiencing DLN to just do it! The food was delicious & this once in a lifetime opportunity should not be misssed. Be prepared reap the benefits of the awesome risks of the surprise menu & surprise cocktails. I will have DLN experience everytime I am in NYC!!!Special Features:
- So loud! We were really lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013So loud! We were really looking forward to this and were so let down. We were looking for amazing food and we found the food to be bland and tasteless. Don't waste your money on this place!
- A wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013A wonderful experience. Our waiter, Sam, was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place! Drinks are awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Great place! Drinks are awesome and food is really really goo even if you don't see it! It is trully one if a kind restaurant and experience. Maria was our guide, she was very helpful, alert and sweet (if you listen to her and follow her directions you'll get a hug at the end of your experience!) definetly will go back.Special Features:
- Scenic ViewAwesomeVIPDined on 3/14/2013Myita and Zeitune were amazing. This experience is worth every penny. So what that the food isn't crazy amazing. It is still good but after Myita told us what we were getting into I knew my money was well spent. Everyone should rush to do this. BRING A BIG GROUP WITH YOU. You will lose your sight for a few hours but gain SO MUCH MORE.Special Features:
- The experience is fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013The experience is fantastic. The food is decent, but it can be better. Drinks are well done.Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Dans Le Noir is an amazing experience that I would recommend to everybody. I took my girlfriend and her son for their birthdays. She was able to cross it off her bucket list! All of the staff were friendly and eager to hear about our experience. The front desk staff explained a little about the experience, but just enough to make us prepared. There was a little panic when we got into the dining room, but that quickly passed with the help of our Waiter, Sam. Sam was amazing, friendly and courteous! It's a shame that they don't allow anybody under 18 as I think many teenagers could benefit from this experience. I think the prices are a little high, which is the only thing preventing us from going more often and bringing other people.Special Features:
- An amazing experience thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2013An amazing experience that is beyond words. Food was very good, but the experience was incredible. Even the short insight into the completely different world faced by the blind has left a lifelong impression on us. Our waiter, Roger, did a fantastic job working us through the experience, and was a true gem himself. A wonderful evening. The Special Features' list above fails to offer an appropriate description. Try this place, and you'll understand. Prior to that, you can't comprehend.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Really great experience to see what it is like to be blind during a meal. Helped develop and enhance my other senses.Special Features:
- MUST GOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Dans Le Noir was an awesome experience. The only reason for the 4 star on the food was because the food tasted great but was lightly under seasoned due to the fact i believe they wanted you to use your other four senses to taste and identify the food. Our Waitress Maria was AMAZING she knew our names and never missed a beat. This might not be the most luxurious dining experience in NYC however I truly believe every single person should dine here atleast once. I will return again due to the fact they change their menu about once every two months. PS the dark IS PITCH BLACK DARKNESS almost indescribableSpecial Features:
- Quiet vibrantwilberhdezDined on 2/16/2013Our first time here; it was great. It made dining and food tasting even better - especially with someone dear in front of you.Special Features:
- Lights out = great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Completely different than anything I had ever experiences before. Intense in the beginning. You get seated in groups (even if you don't know them) so get your friends together and it might be even more fun. The food was absolutely fantastic. Definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- A really bad experience, terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013A really bad experience, terrible food, loud set up, rip-off prices.
- Excellent food in the darkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013Dans Le Noir is the most unique meal I've ever eaten. Marie was a terrific guide through the dark and made it seem manageable. She's a lovely person and when I told her a group in the corner was being too loud (you rely on your ears after all!) she quickly asked them to be quiet. The food is delicious and the experience is off the charts. Be polite and patient and you will no doubt have an unforgettable evening.Special Features:
- This was definitely a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2013This was definitely a nice place to bring a date. It is unique and very memorable. Our server Sam was very informative, helpful, and helped make it a night to remember.Special Features:
- This is all about the experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013This is all about the experience, the owners are great and very friendly.Special Features:
- A long wait for a poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/19/2013Even though Dans Le Noir opened over a year ago, they still seem to be suffering from being able to ensure a smooth experience. We had to wait an hour to be seated - even though we had a reservation. Once inside they rush you through all 3 courses in an hour & then you're led out. The wine list is weak but it's not as if you want to have wine in the dark anyhow. Everyone I the restaurant seems to be screaming to be heard so it's definitely not relaxing. Our group definitely wanted to leave after the first course - too bad we couldn't find our way out in the dark!
- Fun not foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Lovely experience, food was pas mal. I think it's a fun experience.Special Features:
- i have to do it again.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013I had an amazing experience our waiter Collin was great(we loved him) the food was not bad the desert amazing overall a great time. I just wish the bartender on Saturday night was friendlier and more informative. The owners are amazing and very hands on.Special Features: