DANS at Green Hills
2444 Morgantown Rd
Reading, PA 19607Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
DANS at Green Hills
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dansrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (610) 777-9611
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Monday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm; Tuesday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 5:30pm and again from 8:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schaffer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from DANS at Green Hills
Opened in 1989, DANS at Green Hills is Reading"s premier fine dining establishment. DANS at Green Hills serves a contemporary American cuisine with a French influence. Our goal is to provide a fine dining experience that is an alternative to the traditional Berks County scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
DANS at Green Hills - Best Restaurants in Reading ›
DANS at Green Hills reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)romantic (13)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great evening outMicheleDined on 11/1/2014Our dinner at Dan's was both delicious and lovely and the service was excellent. It's a little pricey but worth it!Special Features:
- First Time FindScotland067Dined on 10/19/2014My family and I dined at Dan's this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The duck was great as were the tenderloins. Our service was excellent and attentive. We will be back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Good variety of food choices on the menu.The price was a bit high for what you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration worthyBrandonPVIPDined on 10/13/2014Traveling on business and celebrating a dear friend's 60th birthday. Between Open Table and Trip Advisor app on iPhone, was able to discover this gem just outside of Reading PA. Well worth the drive from downtown. Friendly staff and delighted Halibut special was on the menu. Made the extra effort to enjoy all three courses. Apples were in season and apple crisp was spot on. Next time hope to enjoy dining outdoors as patio is picturesque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceScottDined on 9/26/2014Variety of choices on the menu. Food quality was excellent. Service was the best. Would definitely go back to Dan'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ambiance and foodkhotrVIPDined on 9/7/2014Dan's never fails to meet our high expectations. The patio dining is beautiful and peaceful. The quality of food is exceptional. Especially love the sweet potato soup!! Also, when they have halibut, order it. It is always prepared wonderfully!! Not only is the wait staff professional, Monir also is very attentive to all diners needs. Only wish we lived closer .Special Features:
- Dan and the particular girlParticularGirlVIPDined on 9/6/2014My partner and I had a lovely meal at Dan's at Greenhill. We arrive for an 8:30 seating which I would highly suggest if you want a quiet setting with conversation. Most other diners were finishing their meals and soon we were alone in the room with one other couple. My partner's Beef and my duck were cooked to perfection and each had a wonderful play of flavors to accompany them. Particularly of Note was the delicate aroma and flavor of fennel that made my meal delectable. Thank you Dan's for a wonderful dinner and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time on the patioahasselVIPDined on 8/26/2014We ate on the patio and what a fantastic dining experience. One of our most favorite restaurants in Reading/Berks County. Warmly greeted, shown to a lovely table on the patio (as requested). Had a lovely wine and a phenomenal dinner. Will definitely be back for another great dining experience.Special Features:
- Food was fantasticCunruhDined on 8/20/2014My girlfriends and I got together for my birthday dinner-it was amazing. Hadn't been here since it became Dan's but I will definitely be back. Loved the food from the sweet potato soup, to the duck breast to the chocolate caramel bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingluvmyfoodDined on 8/10/2014We celebrated our 40th anniversery here. The entire evening was wonderful. Service was superb, the food was out of this world. We had 6 people and everyone had nothing but positives to say about each portion they received. Thank you Dan's for a perfect celebration.Special Features:
- What a nightTravelerDined on 8/8/2014Dans is a great place to take that special someone, or just enjoy a special night our. The food is outstanding, the service is superb and the patio is Devine. Try Dans, you won't be dissapointed.Special Features:
- Best EverDenise18034Dined on 8/2/2014This restaurant is a treasure. Fine dining, fab atmosphere, great assortment of menu selections. The staff is top of the line. I without a doubt will return. The drive from Allentown to Morgantown was worth it. I can promise that you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable ExperienceRushDined on 8/1/2014Dan's was a very nice experience. The food and service was great. A few more seafood items would enhance the menu though.Special Features:
- The following 126 reviews are from the DANS at Green Hills reviews archive.
- Excellent FoodScottDined on 7/26/2014The food was excellent and well presented. Also liked their new dining area with all the windows.Special Features:
- Fine DiningphallpaDined on 7/10/2014Having moved to the Wyomissing area the end of 2013, we had not experienced Dan's until our anniversary July 2014. The service, ambience, and food was outstanding. We had the best grouper dish of our lives and were able to sit in the new outdoor area, which was very beautiful and romantic.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerSaltLifeDined on 5/31/2014This was our first visit to Dan's. The atmosphere was great in the back room with a view of the outside patio, which is available for dining. I would recommend the Diver Sea Scallops or the Filet mignon. The service was excellent and personal. A great place to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice first visitparsharDined on 5/16/2014This is a treasure; a cozy upscale tavern. We loved our food, particularly the steak was done perfectly and seasoned extremely well; and the fish was fresh and crab tastefully perfect. We were not very impressed with the pairings noted in the menu but the owner came by to tell us that we could pair our entree with any of the other offerings, which I chose to do. I was not impressed with the house wine by the glass selection or price. The chef made us a delicious cheese plate for an appetizer, not on the menu, but superb! Our waitress was not informed about evening menu and kept going to the kitchen to ask. Unprofessional; in knowledge, the service timing, and over look and presentation. We opted out of dessert to avoid, "Oh, let me check.."Special Features:
- Over the TopBillDined on 5/13/2014We tried to get in for Mothers Day and it was full, went on Tuesday evening and quite a few folks, but still quiet and elegant. While the food was simply wonderful, the "True Fine Dining Service" was such that would be delivered in NY, Chicago, London, L.A., Paris, or DC. We had a Crab Stuffed Tilapia w/ Basmati; Filet Mignon w/ Red Bodelaise; and boneless Duck Breast- all were 5 Star. We also found the Beet Salad to be our new favorite with a miniature croquet of Fresh Goat cheese- very French and very delicious! Excellent wine list and Monir, the Manager checked on us but allowed enough distance for us to enjoy our time together- This was the Best Experience I have had in Berks since Joe's or the Unicorn- we were "Wowed" & will return.Special Features:
- NicedcaugsDined on 5/2/2014It was nice, great food, but a little pricey. Limited menu, but very, very delicious. A bit stiff for my tastes, but a very nice place to have a quiet dinner. We did not dine outdoors, but the outdoor seating looked very nice as well.Special Features:
- Amazing and romanticAlwaysreadyDined on 5/2/2014This was our first time here, and we were celebrating our 2 year anniversary. The place is very romantic and the service was wayyyy above average!! Our waitress was great, very personable, and funny too! We enjoyed her so much that we will be asking for her next time we go.. Bring your wallet for the prices are high, but SOOOOOO worth it. The food was unbelievable!!! I cannot say enough about this place. The owner is very pleasant and kind. Definitely worth checking this place out. I am so glad we did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014We had the prix fixe dinner which was excellent. My husband and I both had the leg of lamb which was very tender and nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & Food ExcellentLeslieVIPDined on 4/7/2014Always excellent service and food. Owners are lovely, and the new garden patio is beautiful!Special Features:
- EleganceburbaniteVIPDined on 4/4/2014Dan's is a welcome change from the noisy, frenetic vibe of so many restaurants. We loved the experience of sitting in a beautifully preserved inn, with white tablecloths and a quiet ambience. The food was superb, and extremely well prepared. As a vegetarian, I inquired about options. The waitress, who was excellent, friendly but not overbearing, did not have to check with the chef, and thankfully did not offer what so many restaurants do under similar requests - offer pasta with tired vegetables. The chef prepared a plate of fresh vegetables, cooked to perfection, along with my fabulous mushroom ravioli. My wife had an expertly prepared duck. All the sides are treats in themselves. When in Reading or Lancaster, try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly pleasedCupcakeDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I went for our wedding anniversary and found out about Dan's from my mother in law who is well educated in fine dining! We were quite comfortable with her choice. The hostess gave us two choices as to where we would like to be seated as opposed to being told what they had available. We chose the room with the fireplace as it was warm and had great ambiance. The waitress was very attentive and we were very happy with our food choices.Special Features:
- our favorite restaurant in Berks CoahasselVIPDined on 3/21/2014We eat here a few times a year and are never disappointed. Love the garden room. Warmly greeted and shown to a lovely table. Outstanding waitress (Kim). Great salads and fantastic filet mignon (always). Thanks for a lovely evening!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!alleycatDined on 3/15/2014We had a lovely dinner at Dan's! The food was delicious with the chef perfectly meeting our special requests! We had two seniors at our table who use walkers and the restaurant staff was most amenable and helpful in helping them get seated. The noise level was also just right with soft background noise but nothing that prohibited easy conversation. I particularly loved the historic setting in an old inn, elegantly lit with soft lighting and providing a most delightful backdrop to the fantastic food. Our party of six all ordered different things and all were very satisfied with their meal. Wait staff was available and attentive without being intrusive. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definitely return!Special Features:
- Expect ExcellenceFoodie113VIPDined on 3/10/2014Dining at Dans is always a wonderful experiene. The menu is imaginative and executed to perfection.The daily specials are interesting and a temptation, as well. Try the Roasted Beet salad to start. It's great. One of us had the Aspagagus Soup with Crabmeat to start was very happy. Our party had the Rack of Lamb, Scallops and Veal Chop special. We were all pleased.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDelightedDined on 2/22/2014Our food tasted wonderful. Some items were a little on the high side for price. The service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedckorDined on 2/22/2014Excellent food but you will leave hungry and broke. Not for the middle class.
- Hidden Gem!Luv2dineDined on 2/17/2014The restaurant was in an older on which have it so much charm and character. The service was excellent, the staff was friendly and always near if you needed anything. We both enjoyed the restaurant being so quiet (rarely do we get to eat in peace and quiet anymore...3 little kiddos! Lol). The food was incredible. I ordered the filet of beef and whipped potatoes. The filet was cooked to perfection, very juicy and tender. The whipped potatoes were amazing. Dessert...I recommend the chocolate soufflé, delicious! Everything was worth the price. Our bill was $108 for 2 people for a three course dinner which is very reasonable for the quality you receive here. I highly recommend Dan's and I definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a wonderful experienceKismetDined on 2/15/2014We had a large group to celebrate an anniversary and the team at Dan's did a wonderful job! Nothing short of what I expected - Dan's is always a wonderful experience! And the food, as always, was incredible!Special Features:
- still got itsteveVIPDined on 2/15/2014We used to go here when I was a kid for special occasions. That was prior to the current ownership. For this trip I took my mom out for her birthday and the quality of the food and service was on par with my childhood experiences. Everything was excellent. There wasn't a single morsel left on our plates. I would definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Birthday DinnerFredDined on 1/18/2014It was my wife's birthday so we and another couple headed to Dans at Green Hills. We were all so pleased with the food and the service. Great wine list, fabulous food including fois gras, rack of lamb to die for and a heavenly dessert of bread pudding rounded out the evening. They were so kind as to comp us a glass of champagne to toast my wife's birthday. I have been there before but nothing compares to this meal. FSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okbariVIPDined on 11/30/2013food was good, service was good, but overall just ok. nothing special. There wasn't anything wrong, and we were rather surprised that the chef was able to accommodate vegans, but it just didn't WOW us. sorry.
- enjoyed a very nice eveningLennyVIPDined on 11/30/2013enjoyed a very nice evening in a very setting.......food was very good and staff was very friendly and helpful......probably need reservations on weekends......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined Thanksgiving dinnerSnappygirlDined on 11/28/2013My husband and I brought his mother to Dan's for Thanksgiving dinner. We had the pumpkin bisque, the turkey dinner and pumpkin pie. All three were delicious. The chef even started us with a tasty amuse bouche. Service was impeccable and both owners were on site helping the staff and making sure all was in order. We were never rushed and were able to linger after dinner as well. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Surprised in a Good WayPCFineDinerVIPDined on 11/2/2013I found Dan's by accident, looking for a fine dining experience in or nearby Reading, and was very pleasantly surprised by Dan's. Their reviews over the years have been mixed, so I gave them a shot. Gorgeous old building, diverse menu, and everything's prepared to perfection -- we enjoyed their duck ravioli appetizer very much. The classy touch of a free amuse bouche was over the top. The ONLY real criticism I have is around the decor... you're in a 200 year old building. What's with the plastic flowers in alcoves along the wall??? You can do better! The service was outstanding, bordering on intrusive, but never crossing that line (fully four different people asked us about our meal and experience during the course of the evening).Special Features:
- Excellent! Fine Dining at its best!RonandMikeDined on 10/29/2013A coworker recommend for us to check out Dan's At Green Hills Restaurant. I thought it was going to be all hype, but it lived up to everything he said. The food was over the top every single detail was displayed.. I ordered the NY strip steak. The steak was cooked to perfection and the truffle butter was mouthwatering delicious. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and the risotto was unbelievably wonderful. The service was attentive. The server was absolutely friendly. The restaurant has so much history inside and it looks amazing. If you need a place to take your spouse for a special night or for a business event, make sure you go here. No other place in Reading, PA can compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out for an EveningNelsonDined on 10/12/2013My experience at Dans was one of the most enjoyable restaurant experiences I have ever had. From the food to the atmosphere and service, everything was outstanding. I live in the DC area and Dans can hold their own with the best of our restaurants. Well worth the visit and I would recommend Dans to anyone who expects the best.Special Features:
- Sad state of affairsFishpawDined on 10/4/2013I have dined at Green Hills Inn, as well as downtown Dans (and its predecessor, Quiche Me Tonight), so I was looking forward to this meal. The out door patio is lovely. 2 drawbacks: road noise (c'est la vie) and a/c noise. Service, in particular our waitress, new to the establishment, was quite good, as was my wine: a Cariñena, I think. Sadly, the food was very poor. The "hearts of romaine" Caesar salad had more than just hearts and was bitter. The dressing was thin/runny and surprisingly flavorless. The rib eye steak was gray !!! and an odd cut. Risotto was tasty. My "French cut" chicken was good, but unremarkable. I decided to have a dessert Grand Marnier vs an actual dessert. The waitress brought berries for it. Again, lovely service.Special Features: