Danny's BBQ & Smokehouse
1747 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3H 1A6Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: CAN$30 and under
Danny's BBQ & Smokehouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dannyandbucks.com/
- Phone: 2047797041
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday 11:00am - 12:00am
Saturday 12:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Danny and Buck have partnered with Winnipeg's own Comedian Big Daddy Tazz. Big Daddy Tazz and Johnny Awesome Entertainment group can provide any entertainment for your banquet event.
A word from Danny's BBQ & Smokehouse
Welcome to Danny's BBQ and Smokehouse & Buck's Sports Lounge located at 1747 Ellice Avenue in the Leon's Centre. Southern Tradition doesn't come any truer than barbeque and football-two things that award-winning Danny's Whole Hog Barbeque & Smokehouse and CFL star quarterback Buck Pierce happen to know a few things about. Come try our famous Baby Back Ribs with one of Danny and Buck's BBQ sauces, or if you like beef one of our "Flinstone" Beef Bones. Our menu has many choices of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and grill. we use only the finest ingredients and have partnered with many local Manitoba food producers to ensure the best quality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Danny's BBQ & Smokehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (7)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- very poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Ordered the best steak they had and it was grossly over salted with motreal..steak spice and the cut was 1/4 to 3/4 very uneven poor cut. Will never go back sorry.
- Love The Food and ServiceRovingDinerDined on 9/10/2014Is an amazing place. Attentive servers, great food. A great mix. I was on my phone for business and the folks ensured I had my food kept warm rather than sitting it on the table and walking away. They had it under the heat and when I was ready, they brought it out again. I was very happy they noticed that I was tied up and ensured the food was as good as it could be due to my delay, not theirs. Aways nice to have a staff notice the table and respond in kind to it. Thank you to the folks there on my visit. Will be returning when I'm in Winnipeg.Special Features:
- Ribs and steakDinningDined on 8/27/2014I hade a 10oz steak it was great. My wife hade the 8oz steak and she enjoyed that very much. My friend hade the pork ribs and they were to fatty and we're not good very disappointed. My friends wife hade the 6oz steak sandwich witch she also enjoyed. Al in al our experience at Danny's was greatSpecial Features:
- Good BarbequeTimdDined on 8/25/2014Danny's was a good barbeque place, but, not a great barbeque place. The beers list was uninspired (their own 'branded' beer is in fact Black Label and PBR), but, adequate. For appetizers the nachos were good, the calamari was standard, buffalo shrimp was very good, but potato skins were bland. Ribs are what a barbeque is all about, and while the back ribs are good, the beef ribs are fatty and not tender; avoid these. The jambalaya was really very good, and, the mac and cheese for our vegetarian was pronounced as very good. All in all a fine place for barbeque, but, not a great place.
- everyone loved itpegster08Dined on 7/26/2014we were a party of 10 and booked at the last minute and were able to get a reservation no problem.....drinks were great and so was the food. The only complaint I heard was that the steak was a bit overdone....otherwise everyone had good comments about the food. Our waiter was really great....he was there when we needed him, yet gave us our privacy...we closed the place and no one asked us to leave, despite the fact that the restaurant had closed......overall we had a great experience and would definitely do it again.......Special Features:
- Nice place - ribs were so-soFredDined on 7/8/2014Went for my birthday with my wife and kids. Service was very good, food was for the most part very good - nachos app was great, burger and steak were both great too. My St. Louis ribs were a bit disappointing. They didn't seem to have been smoked long enough as they weren't really falling off the bone. Overall, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceLindaDined on 7/4/2014We've been to Danny's several times to celebrate special occasions. Our family & friends all enjoy going there. The food is great as is the service and ambience! We are looking forward to the next special occasion in our family so we can go to Danny's to celebrate! The restaurant and lounge is spectacularly clean!Special Features:
- Awesome pulled pork!!RUHungryDined on 6/28/2014Food was great at a reasonable price, will return for sure to try other menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business meeting at Danny'sTwo4theShowDined on 6/24/2014Recently we held a business meeting at Danny's BBQ & Smokehouse. The WiFi was easy to access and worked great. The food was delicious and not overly pricey. The service was truly outstanding. Terry was instantly attentive, allowed us time to work through our meeting, then checked in on our progress in a friendly and professional manner.Special Features:
- very impressedWPGKGDined on 6/17/2014went to Danny and Bucks for a company function. I had low expectations, but was surprised. excellent service, excellent menu selection, excellent pricing! very reasonable. and our server was great. I would go back with friends for sure.Special Features:
- My opinionscirocco16vDined on 6/4/2014food was good, had a nice table with a good view of the giant tv screen. Waiter was slow to get our drinks, my son order a draft beer and the waiter came back 15 minutes later to tell him they were out of that type of draft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKELMDined on 5/23/2014Afte reading some reviews on this restaurant I was a little aprehrensive to go but the party I was with want to so we went. I was pleasantly surprised with the modern interior and the service. The servers were friendly and helpful throughout the night. The food was slow in coming but very good when it it arrived. Our party of 4 shared the BIg Show platter and it was enough food to bring home from left overs for another meal. I would go back again and recommend this pace to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 141 reviews are from the Danny's BBQ & Smokehouse reviews archive.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Maybe our expectations were to high based on all the hype, but we were a bit disappointed. the restaurant decor was nice but the service was very slow, even though they didn't appear that busy. It should not take two hours to eat at a restaurant of that nature (this isn't 529!). It took nearly 40 minutes for our food to come and about 15 minutes to get the bill. The food was disappointing (I wouldn't call it bad though; I debated a rating between Fair and Good). I had the hamburger, which had apparently been voted best burger in Winnipeg by some food club. Far from it! My wife had the beef ribs, which were somewhat fatty. The sides were OK but not great.
- feeding frenzy2014boysarebackDined on 4/26/2014My three sons are always satisfied by the time they finish feeding at Danny's. We usually order the big show meal and add on some appetizers. As we also had two girlfriends in tow this visit (a total of seven people) a combo ribs and chicken meal was added. Surprisingly, there were some leftovers, which were brought home to be fought over the next day. We have tried two other barbeque places in town, but the boys like Danny's, so I guess you will see us again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My food was great. My Son'srandannDined on 3/29/2014My food was great. My Son's Ribs were tough. Not the best. Also it took 45 minutes for the appetiser and another half hour after that for our food. We were starving by the time the food came so very disappointed when my Son got his ribs and they were tough. Don't think i'll go back. Sorry.
- Pretty good for Northerners!LHerzogDined on 3/26/2014Coming from Atlanta, GA, I was a little hesitant to try this place, but was pleasantly surprised. I got the full rack of Baby Back Ribs and my friend got the full rack of St. Louis style ribs. The St. Louis ribs were meatier than the baby backs. I tried the Raspberry Chipotle...yum! The perfect blend of sweet and spicy. The sides, however, left much to be desired. The BBQ baked beans were more tomatoey than bbq. The cole slaw was actually tasteless (neither sweet nor vinegary) and had scallions in it. I've never had scallions in cole slaw and now that I have, I can tell you, they don't belong there. The sweet potato fries were hot and plentiful but needed some salt to bring out their taste. My friend got the baked potato, which was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly quietDrawDined on 3/17/2014We visited on a Monday and with a Jets game on. It was surprisingly quiet. Food was good, rich, and plentiful. Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food ... Great ServiceWestExpressDined on 2/27/2014Really enjoyed lunch the food was great and the service was 1st rate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceBarryDined on 2/21/2014Took a large group to Danny's on a Friday night. Menu had a good selection for everyone to choose from. When food finally arrived is was very good. Plan to spend time there as it takes a little long to get food after ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent First TimeLindaDined on 2/19/2014I am pleased to say that I celebrated my 63rd birthday at Danny's BBQ Restaurant on February 19th and it was an amazing experience from the time we walked in until we left. I made a reservation on line and they were ready for my party of 10 when we arrived. The service was exemplary as was the food. The ambiance was very good and the place was quiet. I'll definitely be going back to that restaurant and recommend it to anyone looking for a great dining experience and reasonable prices!Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceSmokyguyVIPDined on 2/8/2014Altough the decor was nice, it did not match the idea of a smokehouse. Instead it was left over from the former oriental restaurant. We had reservations, but had to wait at the front for almost 10 minutes for a hostess to even notice us. We watched an order sit under the heat lamps for more than 25 minutes before it was served. Only one server was serving our entire area. He wad good but could have used some help! When we did get our good it was not remarkable. The beans were chalky, and the ribs were chewy. The cornbread had no taste and was more like a muffin from a mix. The coleslaw was tastless as well. We did like the dry ribs. Overall, it wad disappointing and we probably won't go again.
- The food was very good, portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The food was very good, portions very appropriate. The service seemed very slow, took one hour for food to show up, but server apologized for it and said she was the only one there right now (that was for lunch). Everybody was nice and it was nice and clean all over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good but ICwardDined on 1/18/2014Everything was good but I was a bit disappointed because they ran out of chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extended LunchYULTDined on 12/27/2013We visited on a very slow day after Christmas. When we arrived there were no patrons in the whole place. The server was very friendly. We had an infant with us and they were very accommodating ... we were seated in an open area with a lot of room for an infant chair. Food was good but the food delivery was very very slow. It was fortunate that we were not under any time constraints. At one point the Host passed by and saw that we had no plates on the table and asked us how we enjoyed the meal. He was quite shocked when we told him that our orders had not been served! We laughed about that! TSpecial Features:
- Decent meals but poor serviceChristmasgroupDined on 12/17/2013The food was pretty good, but the service was definitely lacking. The server was polite but either very new or unsure of himself. It took a long time to get drinks, then another while to have our order taken and even longer to get the food. We could see food sitting on the counter under the lamp, some for at least 5 minutes before it was brought to the table. It took around 2 hrs for the lunch which should have been just over an hour, not acceptable if people need to get back to work, especially as the restaurant was not very busy. Most people in our party would not return, which is a shame because the food is pretty good, but unfortunately the slow service ruined it for us.
- We had a group of six. A mixedGrantDined on 12/14/2013We had a group of six. A mixed variety of meals. The ribs and steaks were good. The chicken was bland. The chicken fingers, and French fries were very greasy. In fact the taste of grease overpowered the taste of the chicken. Big disappointment. This was our annual Christmas dinner, and the consensus of the group was not again. My wife and I may drop in for ribs and steak, but there are many other places offering the same, so chances are not high for a return. Drinks were good, and the service was excellent. Too bad the food did not match.
- Booked for lunch for a group.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013Booked for lunch for a group. The food was oustanding but the service level was poor. Although our waitress was very friendly and knowledgable, she was unable to handle the volume. We were there for over 2 hours and luckliy none of us were on a tight schedule. The tip was added to our bill automatically and this was not well received by some of the diners who waited over half an hour for their drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Was a great meal. The Sangria was enormous and I loved it! Anything I ate was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff were very friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012Staff were very friendly and provided good service with a quality product.Special Features:
- Always an enjoyable feast,OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/15/2012Always an enjoyable feast, lots of good food at a reasonable price. Will always go back for more!Special Features:
- Worth checking out!JinxGirlDined on 12/8/2012I ordered the pulled pork sandwich with fries and coleslaw. The sandwich itself was delicious, a bit skimpy in the BBQ sauce but there was a whole bottle on the table so i just added mire to my taste. The fries were just okay, the coleslaw was not very good at all - it tasted like it had been made 2 days earlier (I was glad I asked to have it left off my sandwich and served only on the side). Service was friendly and attentive. If you aren't interested in watching tv through your meal, ask for a seat in the front part of the restaurant, away from the giant screen tv that is visible throughout the back section.Special Features:
- Will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012This was a last-minute dinner date for hubby and I, and it turned out great!Our waitress really knew the menu and made good suggestions - baby back ribs, garlic mashed potato, mother's iced tea, and chocolate cake all super! Also appreciated that the wait staff were not dressed like they should be working a street corner instead of a dining establishment (might sound harsh, but I'd prefer hubby to look at me than distracted by the "scantily clad" waitress/hostess). Would definitely return and bring the kids along too!
- We will return in the near future!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/8/2012The food was great, good atmosphere, reasonable prices! We have dined there twice now, and will be back again.Special Features:
- food was very tasty. serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2012food was very tasty. service was prompt and courteous. very attentive. food came within 12 minutes of ordering. soup was very good, not salty, well seasoned. we will be back again.Special Features:
- I took my Mom and sister thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012I took my Mom and sister there after attending the Blue Bombers final home game. Which they won so it made going to Danny's all the better. Also knowing that Buck was part owner helped as well. I plan on one day making a return trip!!Special Features:
- Very slow service at lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2012Very slow service at lunch over 45 min to get food.
- Very good food...slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012The online reviews very very mixed, so I had some concerns prior to making reservations. A couple of my coworkers had eaten here and liked it so I gave it a try in spite of the reviews. A group of five of us arrived and were seated right away. After a long wait I got up and asked the hostess if we were ever going to see a waiter. That got some action and we had our drinks in short order. Our food arrived after a bit of a delay, except for one side of garlic bread. It didn't show up until the end of the meal and there was no charge for it. The food was very good and the presentation was great. There was a very large birthday party in the private room and perhaps that contributed to the slow service. I'd go again!Special Features:
- We took my mom and dad forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012We took my mom and dad for mom's 86th birthday. We had read numerous reviews, many of them not very encouraging. We arrived, greeted quickly and shown to our table. After several minutes the hostess asked us to move due to a large party which was ariiving shortly. The tables were being pulled together for the party. No problems moving, as this has happened in other restaurants over the years. Service was excellent, food was excellent, hot and tasty. Overall experience was very enjoyable. We wpould definitely return and recommend.Special Features:
- Always enjoy my visits toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2012Always enjoy my visits to Hu's on Ellice. Haven't had a bad meal or service yet.Special Features:
- the overall experince wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012the overall experince was very good my 9 year old really enjoys hu s . considering the type of food seems more suited for adults, my son just gorges and the wants the left overs for his lunch. which leaves non for me.the cucumbers in the water is his favouriteSpecial Features: