Danny Brown Wine Bar
10402 Metropolitan Ave
Forest Hills, NY 11375Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
Danny Brown Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dannybrownwbk.com/
- Phone: 7182612144
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Danny Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: 71<sup>st</sup> Drive
- Public Transit: The restaurant is not directly located on a major subway line. The closest train station is the E/F 71st/Continental Ave stop in Forest Hills. From there one can take the Q23 bus to Metropolitan Ave. From other parts of Queens & Brooklyn, the Q54 bus can be taken.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Metropolitan Avenue, 71st Drive and on several nearby residential streets.
A word from Danny Brown Wine Bar
Danny Brown Wine Bar & Kitchen is a modern neighborhood restaurant located in Forest Hills, Queens offering a current slant on the classic European Wine Bar. With heavy culinary influences from France, Italy & Spain; Danny Brown combines epicurious flair in a smart, smooth & welcoming atmosphere. The diverse menu ranges from house made Charcuterie to re-conceptualized classic dishes with a strong focus on each season's best products. With more than 30 wines by the glass and upwards of 150 wines by the bottle, Danny Brown offers an extensive wine program with a heavy influence on affordability, encouraging even the most novice of wine enthusiasts to be adventurous and discover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Danny Brown Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Forest Hills ›
Danny Brown Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (62)notable wine list (55)special occasion (42)romantic (37)good for groups (10)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- worth the anticipationjuggernautDined on 10/14/2014I wanted to try this celeb chef spot in my neighborhood for years. I had a very tight window of time while my family visited. They let us in early and got some unbelievably delicious dinner in is in time with impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale for the NeighborhoodAnnieAliciaDined on 10/11/2014Went to Danny Brown as a couple, I knew when the extended family came this is where I would bring them to dine locally. Family are all foodies and Danny Brown is the only place that fits the bill. Had a table of 6, we were seated comfortably and service was fine. We shared 3 appetizers, the mackerel, beet with cranberry quinoa and calamari. We enjoyed them all. For entree the most raves were for the chicken which I ordered and it truly was perfection. Very glad to have Danny Brown in the neighborhood, will certainly be back again.Special Features:
- Favorite spotLives2EatDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I have been coming here for years, usually for special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries). The food and service are both consistently excellent: the dishes are delicious and and beautifully presented, and always demonstrate a high degree of technique and imagination; the servers know the menu and wine list cold, and patiently answer questions and offer advice; and we never fail to enjoy ourselves thoroughly. It's by far our favorite restaurant in our home borough of Queens, and one of our very favorite places to go in all of New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemClarissaVIPDined on 10/8/2014this gem of a restaurant attracts everyone for its vibrant, fresh food. The staff knows how to serve and danny and Audrie run their place with a sure hand.Special Features:
- Very impressedNJamesNYCDined on 10/2/2014I went to Danny Browns for my birthday had a great evening. My Girlfriend and I sat at the bar and were treated wonderfully. We ordered a beautiful 2009 Bordeaux which wasn't overpriced at all. My girlfriend had the Duck Tagliatelle which was so amazing I will be back soley so I can order it myself. I ordered the Flat Iron Steak medium rare it cooked to perfection the butter sauce they drizzled over it was really tasty and wasn't over applied. I highly recommend Danny Browns for a special occasion or just a night out for some fine dinning. Also our check was less than expected for two serious cocktails a bottle of wine and two entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but one Michelin star?JFvODined on 10/1/2014The ambiance is rather simple. The waiter was not able to explain whether the Prosecco and or the Bouvet Rose were dry or not. We choose the 3 course prix-fixe. The cauliflower was nicely composed but to the heavy side, the mixed green salad rather simple with emphasis on the vinaigrette. The chicken "under the brick" although tender and fresh rather dull in taste. The Linguine were well rounded in taste. The Panna Cotta was delicious, less so the carrot cake. I tried one of the red-wine flights which also was less than impressive. By no means a bad restaurant but all in all a disappointment, considering that this is supposed to be one Michelin star restaurant. It does not even come close to others I know with similar distinction.Special Features:
- Danny Brown's experiencejoeysailsDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant never disappoints. It's always a Treat.Special Features:
- Always just rightNybritDined on 9/12/2014Learn welcome, hassle free seating, delicious fresh food including carpaccio. Yummy bread. Modestly priced wine. Was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High RecommendBrellaDined on 9/9/2014Small and intimate, this restaurant has a more relaxed vibe than most Michelin Star's. High quality food and service that demands a return visit. Members of the staff are welcoming and personable, giving the dining experience a sense of familiarity. Happy with the wine list, and pricing is overall fairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs to update the menupanga26Dined on 9/5/2014Based o like beansn the reviews from other open table diners, I was expecting a spectacular dining experience. Although the service was excellent and the cheese platter delicious, the menu items were not up to par. The salmon tartar was loaded with onions making it impossible to taste any other ingredient and covered in a gelatinous disc that was unnecessary. The eggplant ravioli was salty, overcooked and served in a tomato broth that tasted like borscht. Not good at all. The redeeming dish was the grilled octopus but even that had way too many beans- and I like beans. I will not return until I hear that they improved the food because right now it's not living up to it's reputation. Sit at the bar for wine exclusively!
- DiscerningDinerDined on 9/3/2014On our visit they ran out of their evening specials, both main dish and dessert. The substitutes were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great !!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The lobster Special Saturday evening was superb !!!Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 8/27/2014Our reservation time was late in the evening, and it was a busy night. So there was "a longer than usual" wait for our food. There were apparently 2 servers working that night.Perhaps they should have additional staff? as they are so busy? They ran out of the "prix fixe "dishes , and we were told an hour later. However to compensate we could order any dish from the menu at no additional cost. The food was excellent! The waiter was very nice and service was good ! Overall, it would have been a very good dining experience if we waited less and if we were told sooner that the prix fixe dishes were not available. We will return to Danny Brown as it is probably the finest restaurant in Forest HillsSpecial Features:
- absolutely deliciousKateDined on 8/23/2014one of the best meals I have had in a long time - highly recommend many of the dishes here, as well as the delightful cheese board!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I shared a flight and had the croquettes as an appetizer. Both were good. Dinner itself was amazing! My husband had the tuna and I had the scallop special. You just have to go and have it because no words can describe how much we both loved our dishes. We will definitely be going back again. We both want to try the burger.Special Features:
- great restaurant in Forest HillsSoundeatsDined on 8/23/2014This is a lovely well-run kitchen and wine bar. We loved our dinner. Some of the dishes are conventional and fine, others more experimental. This time my skate had an inspired foam side sauce, full of sea flavor. It has also been good there when prepared other ways, but this was even better. The meat is of the best quality and flavor. Previously a seafood appetizer was surrounded by essence oils and truly a magnificent and delicate orchestration of sea flavors. This time that appetizer was not available but the grilled squid, white beans and arugula that came warm in a bowl was paired well with herbs ( rosemary/ marjoram perhaps?)and excellent. The wine advice could not be better, leading us to fine "Hermitage" French red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Excellent! Finally a Manhattan restaurant in Queens with bearable prices! The only con: noise level is a little too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for romantic dinner!Lyn21sDined on 8/9/2014We were in the area celebrating my husbands birthday! We were able to find street parking without any issues, greeted promptly on arrival, food and service was great!! Loved the cheese tasting!! A must if you go here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mayS22Dined on 8/9/2014I went to Danny Brown Wine Bar last week. The experience was so great that I took a friend again this week for dinner. The ambience is romantic and quiet. Service was excellent. The moment we sat at the table the waiter came to greet us and take our order. The wine list is extensive. I found it included Albarino wine which you don't find often unless you are at a Spanish restaurant. The food was great and very diverse. We had Spanish tapas which were excellent. There are Italian pasta dishes, and French cuisine dishes. But more than the diversity, the quality of food is what you may find in the top Manhattan restaurants. Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed. I only wish they had outdoors sitting in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMariseDined on 8/7/2014Always a great experience at Danny Brown. The food is always on point, with a extensive wine selection and great ambiance. The service is consistenly great. Definitely recommend it! Been here for my birthday for the past 2 years and my mom's birthday just recently.Special Features:
- Danny BrownSimonkVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food. Best Duck Breast in town. Just perfect. Great service. I have eaten at Danny Brown number of times and they just getting better (I'm wondering if there is a room left for improvement but I'm confident that they'll find a way).Special Features:
- An Evening to CelebrateQnsGalDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I celebrated 23 years of marriage with the Prix Fixe dinner, which was a terrific deal. There must have been at least 5 couples/small groups that were celebrating birthdays, so everyone in Middle Village/Forest Hills knows Danny Brown's is the place to celebrate a special occasion. Our waitress was very attentive and able to recommend wine to go with dinner. I loved that we were not rushed through our meal and that we were able to enjoy great food, wine and each other's company in a really nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as alwaysNybritDined on 7/31/2014May warn welcome, combined with inventive menu and unobtrusive personal service made for a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Oasis in Forest HillsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014The prix fixe menu was a real bargain, however there were only two entree selections offered, both seafood. The food was prepared with great skill; we both ordered grilled skate, which was moist, crispy and succulent, served with a tomato foam and lima beans. The other entrée offered was a Maine lobster roll, which looked fantastic. The wine list was extensive, reasonably priced, with wines that often can't be found elsewhere. Flourless chocolate cake with salted peanuts was rich but not too sweet, and the panna cotta creamy and refreshing. Unfortunately, service was a bit indifferent, with tables too close, making private conversation difficult. It was a lovely dinner, however the ambience was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and wineGailM1Dined on 7/25/2014We ate here for the first time last night. The food, wine and service are all fantastic. The price was around $100 a head for 3 courses and wine (we had 3 bottles between 4 of us, and took most of the last one home). It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny. There is also the option to eat cheese or meat platters, or tapas style appetizers at the bar with wine. We'll definitely be going back to try that as well. The kitchen is fully visible at the back of the restaurant which really adds to the European-style feel and gives the restaurant a great ambience. My only criticism would be that the tables are situated very close together so private conversations would be difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014I've been wanting to try this place for awhile now---finally got there & it was worth it! Great staff & the food was really quite delicious---from the small bites to the big bites, worth every calorie/pennySpecial Features:
- The Best in QueensAlanDined on 7/18/2014NEVER disappointed. A wonderful experience, as always. Thank goodness for danny brown in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves its Michelin starSixSigmaBBVIPDined on 7/18/2014I've never had a meal that wasn't great at this restaurant. It is truly very fine French cuisine in a very warm ambiance with lovely hosts. Last night I had one of the most magnificent lobster dishes I've ever had anywhere... one of the specials of the night. Unshelled, in a complex sauce that complemented the lobster better than any I've tasted, made festive by delicate vegetables, tiny mushrooms, and agnolotti that quite literally melted on your tongue...this description just cannot convey the beauty of this dish, but I just can't find adequate words. If you haven't been to this cozy little French bistro, you're depriving yourself.Special Features:
- Later is betterexercisegirlVIPDined on 7/11/2014Danny Brown Wine Bar provides a place to relax and enjoy great wine, delicious food, whether you stop in for a glass of wine and cheese tasting or have a hankering for the small or large plates they offer, you will not be disappointed. Flights of wine are available to expand your palate. We enjoyed a cheese tasting of 3 cheeses, taleggio,valdeo and a special cheese on the menu that evening along with a summer flight of white wine. Delicious! Went on to have a fish special of turbot with a chanterelle mushroom sauce that was out of this world. The only negative is that we had an early dinner that competed with a happy hour crowd at the bar that was loud with the bartender adding pantomime to his talent for serving drinks. Distracting!Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/8/2014The staff was so attentive to our needs and patient as we figured out our order. In addition, they helped us celebrate a birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent experienceLindaDined on 7/5/2014We moved to Queens a year ago and have frequented many restaurants, but Danny Brown's is superior in every way. Great food, service, ambiance We will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Always exceeds my expectationsIluvdiningoutDined on 7/2/2014I ve always looked forward to dining at Danny Browns over the years, and I recently realized that each time the dining experience exceeds my expectations....whether is the a la carte, prix fixe or Mother's Day menu...the food is delicious...and if you like your wine, this is the place to go...whether by the bottle, glass or ordering a flight...and at a fair price. I love this place.Special Features:
- Excellent Metro Ave. Food ChoiceJoePDined on 7/2/2014We were looking for a place to eat dinner in the area. Based upon reviews on this and other sites we narrowed our selections to two and ultimately chose Danny Brown's. We made a 5:30 reservation and arrived around 5:20. The drapes were down and the place appeared a little small and worn from the outside. At 5:30 the drapes were raised, the door was opened, and we were welcomed inside by one of the staff. Once inside, we realized how wrong were our first impressions. The restaurant is much larger than it appears from the outside, and is very nicely decorated. There also is a great looking bar. The food was very well presented and tasty. All our dishes were excellent. My only disappointment was with the cheese tasting appetizer. Too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsSixSigmaBBVIPDined on 7/1/2014I wish I could go here more often but I hate dining alone and most of my friends are in Manhattan. I was so glad to see Danny's untouchable gazpacho on the menu. Trust me, you have never had better. The marriage of flavors is indescribable....with that great minted yogurt on top. I had not been in a while, so had to have the chicken under a brick...this from a woman who never orders chicken in a restaurant...except for here. Crispy outside/succulent and moist inside as always. If you've never been there, have this dish your first time. The mascarpone cheesecake I'd never had so had to try. I love mascarpone, but most cheesecakes taste the same to me so I forego them. Not this one! If you haven't been, go!Special Features:
- Great spotCharlesVIPDined on 6/29/2014Started off with charcuterie and cheeses... all terrific. Then had the pappardelle with lamb, mint, and ricotta; less terrific. The menu neglected to mention the dish had olives. Typically don't mind them, but they totally overwhelmed the rest of the dish. Great wine list, well-priced. Overall still great!Special Features:
- WONDERFUL FOOD!galwaygirlDined on 6/28/2014This was my third time at the restaurant. It was chosen for a birthday dinner because it is close to where my father lives (I live far away), everyone attending (including those others who traveled to get there) thought it worth the trip. The food is outstanding--not just for Queens but for ANYWHERE! My mouth waters just thinking about the lobster poached in butter that I had that night (or, for that matter, the skate that I had a year ago. Despite the casual ambiance that suggests neighborhood wine bar, Danny Brown's is also worthy of being a "destination" restaurant.Special Features:
- A jewelBonnieDined on 6/25/2014Danny Brown Wine Bar and Kitchen just celebrated its 8th anniversary of operation. For eight years the restaurant has consistently delivered exceptional food, wine and hospitality. To dine here is a special experience, one that is always treasured. Not only is the food outstandingly delicious but simply beautifully presented. Staff is attentive and kind and the ambience handsome and elegant. The chef owner has consistently developed classic favorites that locals have put on their "last meal on earth lists!" The latest, handmade eggplant ravioli with squash blossoms and a light tomato sauce. Michelin agrees and has already agreed they are stellar!Special Features:
- A wonderful surpriseRiverheadDestinationVIPDined on 6/24/2014The Metropolitan Avenue surroundings in this less than beautiful part of Forest Hills tempers expectations, but you walk through the door of Danny Brown into a stylish and welcoming room anchored by a beautiful bar area and an open kitchen. The prix fixe dinner was excellent value: the salad simple and wonderfully dressed, the swordfish served flavorful and warm, the flourless chocolate cake perfect. If you have occasion to be in Forest Hills, make time for dinner at Danny Brown.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Danny Brown Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Hmmm...FinerDinerDined on 6/22/2014Danny Brown's is a favorite of ours, and we have eaten here many times before. The décor is comfortable and relaxing, and the sconces and artwork create a soothing environment. This time was a bit disappointing. The menu is varied with something for everyone. However prices seem higher and portions seem smaller. The beet salad was a disappointment. The burger, on the other hand, was great - robust, delicious, and done to perfection. The wine choices are very good. We had a Malbec, which was delightful and enjoyed by all.Special Features:
- Wonderful mid-week treat!LindaBVIPDined on 6/17/2014Danny Brown's consistently offers the best relaxing cheese and charcuterie boards, hands-down! Superb selections, and wonderful small plates to add on for a hungrier patron. Staff are ALL wonderful and helpful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.