Danny Brown Wine Bar
10402 Metropolitan Ave
Forest Hills, NY 11375Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
Danny Brown Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dannybrownwbk.com/
- Phone: (718) 261-2144
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Danny Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: 71<sup>st</sup> Drive
- Public Transit: The restaurant is not directly located on a major subway line. The closest train station is the E/F 71st/Continental Ave stop in Forest Hills. From there one can take the Q23 bus to Metropolitan Ave. From other parts of Queens & Brooklyn, the Q54 bus can be taken.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Metropolitan Avenue, 71st Drive and on several nearby residential streets.
A word from Danny Brown Wine Bar
Danny Brown Wine Bar & Kitchen is a modern neighborhood restaurant located in Forest Hills, Queens offering a current slant on the classic European Wine Bar. With heavy culinary influences from France, Italy & Spain; Danny Brown combines epicurious flair in a smart, smooth & welcoming atmosphere. The diverse menu ranges from house made Charcuterie to re-conceptualized classic dishes with a strong focus on each season's best products. With more than 30 wines by the glass and upwards of 150 wines by the bottle, Danny Brown offers an extensive wine program with a heavy influence on affordability, encouraging even the most novice of wine enthusiasts to be adventurous and discover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Danny Brown Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Forest Hills ›
Danny Brown Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (83)fit for foodies (70)notable wine list (56)romantic (46)special occasion (41)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Successful Birthday CelebrationwriskitDined on 11/18/2014This first time at Danny Brown was very enjoyable. Arriving by taxi for our 7pm Tuesday reservation, we were warmly greeted by the hostess and found a mostly filled room with a small bar in front and an open kitchen in the rear. We opted for a table in the back close to the kitchen. The ambiance and service was very pleasant. On Tuesday and Wednesday, a limited $30 prix fixe 3-course menu supplements the a la carte menus. I chose the former selecting a cauliflower soup, skate entree, and flourless chocolate dessert. My wife's a la cart selections were the yellowtail crudo appetizer ($17) and the spiced crescent duck breast entree ($34). The wine menu was extensive and fairly priced. My wife had a glass of prosecco ($9) and I chose a flight ($15) of 3 half glasses of white wine, ( Loire Sevre et Main, sauvignon blanc, riesling) served consecutively with each course. Every dish was excellently prepared and enjoyed. My wife, too full to order a dessert shared my cake along with her expresso. The hostess turned out to be Danny Brown's mom and she pointed him out to me as he worked with three or four other cooks preparing food. With tip and tax, the moderate bill was $139. Mrs Brown called a local car service to whisk us home on an unseasonably cold and windy night in November. A very good dining ecperience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseporcupineDined on 11/16/2014The food here is expertly prepared. The foie gras special, the cauliflower slop and the desserts were particularly good. The extensive wine list is a pleasant surprise; the flights in the back of the beverage menu are a great way to explore lesser known wines of the world. The service is attentive, although our server appeared to be new and probably needed some more training. Overall this is a very nice place, and a fantastic value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitAmy26BDVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our first visit. The food was good but small portions. The wine was good and the service was great. The restaurant was small and crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, delicious, delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014The food and service were exceptional. The chef and his staff made us feel so special for our Anniversary. Great wine recommendation from Audrey. I would highly recommend this neighborhood gem all day long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2014Half of our dishes were just OK the other was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Forest HillsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/12/2014This is a quiet neighborhood outpost with high quality food and a very respectable wine list. We live in the neighborhood and it is our favorite local spot. We don't feel at all deprived not to be a Manhattan hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2014always a pleasure---food--ambiance--service---always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best...consistentlyNYCfoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014Danny Brown's is a top restaurant - the food deserves the highest rating. The atmosphere is modern, cozy and romantic. This is the first time I had the Prix Fixed. The cauliflower soup had so much flavor. My boyfriend had the Ahorn Gnocci and the Long Island Duck -we have never tasted anything that superb. My entree was the roasted skate with red-wine risotto and zuccini. Fantastic - not just fresh and hot, but the flavor and combination of the ingredients are outstanding. We finished with apple tart and rum raisin carrot cake - amazing desserts. - Hands down the best restaurant in NYC. The service is excellent and the owners are personal and attentive. We cannot wait to go back. Michelin star well deserved. The quality is consistent whenever we go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FuturecloserVIPDined on 10/31/2014Fantastic food & service. Extremely reasonable price given the quality.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantSchwartz87Dined on 10/28/2014We consider Danny Browns a hidden gem! This is definitely my favorite restaurant around. The service is always top notch, and the food never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not startlingNybritDined on 10/25/2014Booked for 6 people at 7:15. Not ready for us, seemed surprised. Food OK, but a little predictable - steak frites, chicken under a brick and so on. But we all enjoyed the food. Cauliflower soup was very good. Service was adequate but not as polished as usual.Special Features:
- has slipped a bitforfarqueDined on 10/23/2014I live nearby and have dined here many times, and the food was just not as memorable as previous. We were celebrating a birthday, and the birthday boy ordered the pasta with bits of duck confit and brussels sprouts, which sounded good but was rather bland and the duck confit was invisible in it, although the steak special was excellent. The brusssels sprout salad special was tiny, with little bitty figs and chunks of cheese that didn't seem to belong there. I will certainly return, but was a bit disappointed for the first time here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiesVIPDined on 10/14/2014Overrated. Maybe this is a good restaurant for Queens area. But for a NY foodies, this is just an OK local restaurant.
- worth the anticipationjuggernautDined on 10/14/2014I wanted to try this celeb chef spot in my neighborhood for years. I had a very tight window of time while my family visited. They let us in early and got some unbelievably delicious dinner in is in time with impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale for the NeighborhoodAnnieAliciaDined on 10/11/2014Went to Danny Brown as a couple, I knew when the extended family came this is where I would bring them to dine locally. Family are all foodies and Danny Brown is the only place that fits the bill. Had a table of 6, we were seated comfortably and service was fine. We shared 3 appetizers, the mackerel, beet with cranberry quinoa and calamari. We enjoyed them all. For entree the most raves were for the chicken which I ordered and it truly was perfection. Very glad to have Danny Brown in the neighborhood, will certainly be back again.Special Features:
- Favorite spotLives2EatDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I have been coming here for years, usually for special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries). The food and service are both consistently excellent: the dishes are delicious and and beautifully presented, and always demonstrate a high degree of technique and imagination; the servers know the menu and wine list cold, and patiently answer questions and offer advice; and we never fail to enjoy ourselves thoroughly. It's by far our favorite restaurant in our home borough of Queens, and one of our very favorite places to go in all of New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemClarissaVIPDined on 10/8/2014this gem of a restaurant attracts everyone for its vibrant, fresh food. The staff knows how to serve and danny and Audrie run their place with a sure hand.Special Features:
- Very impressedNJamesNYCDined on 10/2/2014I went to Danny Browns for my birthday had a great evening. My Girlfriend and I sat at the bar and were treated wonderfully. We ordered a beautiful 2009 Bordeaux which wasn't overpriced at all. My girlfriend had the Duck Tagliatelle which was so amazing I will be back soley so I can order it myself. I ordered the Flat Iron Steak medium rare it cooked to perfection the butter sauce they drizzled over it was really tasty and wasn't over applied. I highly recommend Danny Browns for a special occasion or just a night out for some fine dinning. Also our check was less than expected for two serious cocktails a bottle of wine and two entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but one Michelin star?JFvODined on 10/1/2014The ambiance is rather simple. The waiter was not able to explain whether the Prosecco and or the Bouvet Rose were dry or not. We choose the 3 course prix-fixe. The cauliflower was nicely composed but to the heavy side, the mixed green salad rather simple with emphasis on the vinaigrette. The chicken "under the brick" although tender and fresh rather dull in taste. The Linguine were well rounded in taste. The Panna Cotta was delicious, less so the carrot cake. I tried one of the red-wine flights which also was less than impressive. By no means a bad restaurant but all in all a disappointment, considering that this is supposed to be one Michelin star restaurant. It does not even come close to others I know with similar distinction.Special Features:
- Danny Brown's experiencejoeysailsDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant never disappoints. It's always a Treat.Special Features:
- Always just rightNybritDined on 9/12/2014Learn welcome, hassle free seating, delicious fresh food including carpaccio. Yummy bread. Modestly priced wine. Was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High RecommendBrellaDined on 9/9/2014Small and intimate, this restaurant has a more relaxed vibe than most Michelin Star's. High quality food and service that demands a return visit. Members of the staff are welcoming and personable, giving the dining experience a sense of familiarity. Happy with the wine list, and pricing is overall fairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs to update the menupanga26Dined on 9/5/2014Based o like beansn the reviews from other open table diners, I was expecting a spectacular dining experience. Although the service was excellent and the cheese platter delicious, the menu items were not up to par. The salmon tartar was loaded with onions making it impossible to taste any other ingredient and covered in a gelatinous disc that was unnecessary. The eggplant ravioli was salty, overcooked and served in a tomato broth that tasted like borscht. Not good at all. The redeeming dish was the grilled octopus but even that had way too many beans- and I like beans. I will not return until I hear that they improved the food because right now it's not living up to it's reputation. Sit at the bar for wine exclusively!
- DiscerningDinerDined on 9/3/2014On our visit they ran out of their evening specials, both main dish and dessert. The substitutes were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great !!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The lobster Special Saturday evening was superb !!!Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 8/27/2014Our reservation time was late in the evening, and it was a busy night. So there was "a longer than usual" wait for our food. There were apparently 2 servers working that night.Perhaps they should have additional staff? as they are so busy? They ran out of the "prix fixe "dishes , and we were told an hour later. However to compensate we could order any dish from the menu at no additional cost. The food was excellent! The waiter was very nice and service was good ! Overall, it would have been a very good dining experience if we waited less and if we were told sooner that the prix fixe dishes were not available. We will return to Danny Brown as it is probably the finest restaurant in Forest HillsSpecial Features:
- absolutely deliciousKateDined on 8/23/2014one of the best meals I have had in a long time - highly recommend many of the dishes here, as well as the delightful cheese board!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I shared a flight and had the croquettes as an appetizer. Both were good. Dinner itself was amazing! My husband had the tuna and I had the scallop special. You just have to go and have it because no words can describe how much we both loved our dishes. We will definitely be going back again. We both want to try the burger.Special Features:
- great restaurant in Forest HillsSoundeatsDined on 8/23/2014This is a lovely well-run kitchen and wine bar. We loved our dinner. Some of the dishes are conventional and fine, others more experimental. This time my skate had an inspired foam side sauce, full of sea flavor. It has also been good there when prepared other ways, but this was even better. The meat is of the best quality and flavor. Previously a seafood appetizer was surrounded by essence oils and truly a magnificent and delicate orchestration of sea flavors. This time that appetizer was not available but the grilled squid, white beans and arugula that came warm in a bowl was paired well with herbs ( rosemary/ marjoram perhaps?)and excellent. The wine advice could not be better, leading us to fine "Hermitage" French red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Excellent! Finally a Manhattan restaurant in Queens with bearable prices! The only con: noise level is a little too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for romantic dinner!Lyn21sDined on 8/9/2014We were in the area celebrating my husbands birthday! We were able to find street parking without any issues, greeted promptly on arrival, food and service was great!! Loved the cheese tasting!! A must if you go here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mayS22Dined on 8/9/2014I went to Danny Brown Wine Bar last week. The experience was so great that I took a friend again this week for dinner. The ambience is romantic and quiet. Service was excellent. The moment we sat at the table the waiter came to greet us and take our order. The wine list is extensive. I found it included Albarino wine which you don't find often unless you are at a Spanish restaurant. The food was great and very diverse. We had Spanish tapas which were excellent. There are Italian pasta dishes, and French cuisine dishes. But more than the diversity, the quality of food is what you may find in the top Manhattan restaurants. Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed. I only wish they had outdoors sitting in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMariseDined on 8/7/2014Always a great experience at Danny Brown. The food is always on point, with a extensive wine selection and great ambiance. The service is consistenly great. Definitely recommend it! Been here for my birthday for the past 2 years and my mom's birthday just recently.Special Features:
- Danny BrownSimonkVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food. Best Duck Breast in town. Just perfect. Great service. I have eaten at Danny Brown number of times and they just getting better (I'm wondering if there is a room left for improvement but I'm confident that they'll find a way).Special Features:
- An Evening to CelebrateQnsGalDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I celebrated 23 years of marriage with the Prix Fixe dinner, which was a terrific deal. There must have been at least 5 couples/small groups that were celebrating birthdays, so everyone in Middle Village/Forest Hills knows Danny Brown's is the place to celebrate a special occasion. Our waitress was very attentive and able to recommend wine to go with dinner. I loved that we were not rushed through our meal and that we were able to enjoy great food, wine and each other's company in a really nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as alwaysNybritDined on 7/31/2014May warn welcome, combined with inventive menu and unobtrusive personal service made for a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Oasis in Forest HillsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014The prix fixe menu was a real bargain, however there were only two entree selections offered, both seafood. The food was prepared with great skill; we both ordered grilled skate, which was moist, crispy and succulent, served with a tomato foam and lima beans. The other entrée offered was a Maine lobster roll, which looked fantastic. The wine list was extensive, reasonably priced, with wines that often can't be found elsewhere. Flourless chocolate cake with salted peanuts was rich but not too sweet, and the panna cotta creamy and refreshing. Unfortunately, service was a bit indifferent, with tables too close, making private conversation difficult. It was a lovely dinner, however the ambience was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 300 reviews are from the Danny Brown Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Wonderful food and wineGailM1Dined on 7/25/2014We ate here for the first time last night. The food, wine and service are all fantastic. The price was around $100 a head for 3 courses and wine (we had 3 bottles between 4 of us, and took most of the last one home). It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny. There is also the option to eat cheese or meat platters, or tapas style appetizers at the bar with wine. We'll definitely be going back to try that as well. The kitchen is fully visible at the back of the restaurant which really adds to the European-style feel and gives the restaurant a great ambience. My only criticism would be that the tables are situated very close together so private conversations would be difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014I've been wanting to try this place for awhile now---finally got there & it was worth it! Great staff & the food was really quite delicious---from the small bites to the big bites, worth every calorie/pennySpecial Features:
- The Best in QueensAlanDined on 7/18/2014NEVER disappointed. A wonderful experience, as always. Thank goodness for danny brown in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.