728 8th Ave
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.danielarestaurant.com/media/websitedaniela.html
- Phone: (212) 869-3585
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm; Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Javier Carrillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Daniela's
Welcome to Daniela Trattoria! Offering age-old Italian tradition and timeless recipes that have been passed down through generations, this Italian restaurant successfully combines cuisine and atmosphere to create a dining experience that won’t soon be forgotten. Perfect for pre or post-theater visits and large parties, Daniela Trattoria is the kind of place that could be your home away from home. The smells of spices and homemade Italian cooking fill the air while a friendly and knowledgeable wait staff bends over backwards to cater to your every need. The menu is vast and impressive showcasing traditional Italian specialties. There is something here sure to tempt every palate even the most discriminating of gourmets! No matter what the occasion calls for or your appetite demands, the friendly staff at Daniela Trattoria promises to make your next dining experience truly unforgettable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Daniela's reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (31)great for lunch (26)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (12)great for brunch (12)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (8)romantic (5)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Theater District find2ComerVIPDined on 11/24/2014This restaurant is the perfect location for the theater district. The ambience is warm and rustic. The pizza is the perfect size to share and accompanied with soup and/or salad. All are delicious. I do not eat meat and the vegetable pizza and the minestrone soup are excellent. The service is wonderful and the staff seem to be well aware of theater times and move the meal along. I would return and recommend Daniela's to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-theaterjerseygirlVIPDined on 11/21/2014Great spot for pre-theater dinner! Excellent service, good selection and tasty food. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick meal, and accessible to theatersTheatretripperDined on 11/20/2014This is definitely not the spot to choose if you want gourmet dining and gracious service. It is, however, just fine if you want a quick meal before a show. The food was good--we ordered pasta dishes and they were tasty but not the best we'd ever had. House wine was ok. Service was brisk and efficient without making us feel rushed. There's a price fixed menu at $33 which looked to be a good value. Though Daniela's isn't the place I'd choose if I wanted a really memorable meal, I'd certainly return for a quick dinner, especially now that so many shows haved moved curtain time to 7 p.m. making leisurely pre-theater dining impossible for those of us who work later than 5 or come in from the suburbs after work to see a show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wait staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/18/2014They are so great at getting you in and out pre-theatre - wait staff is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show restaurantBudMVIPDined on 11/17/2014Tucked into a nice room on busy 8th Ave is this "neighborhood" feel Italian restaurant with good food and great prices. We booked this place for a quick dinner before a Broadway show and were very pleased with the quality of food and service. Don't expect table cloths and fancy dishes. This is good "down home" Italian food that will leave you satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great palce!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Came here for dinner with my family (8 people) before a show. Very nice place, seated right away. Not to busy considering the area. Good food, good service, Cant go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stace810Dined on 11/15/2014The staff, location and atmosphere was the only plus of this experience here. The food was very bland and the gravy/sauce was so liquid on the food we ordered. Chicken Parm was under cooked and not seasoned. Definitely not what we experienced being that the place had so many good reviews.
- food just ok;ambience awfulStraightTalkerDined on 11/12/2014Daniela's has the atmosphere of a prison cafeteria primarily due to a homogenous all-male,all Hispanic wait staff that hasn't discovered the value of a smile and warmth.They hovered around the tables unsmiling, eyes watching the food on the tables but never engaging diners making you feel like they were prision guards.Bad choice.
- Très agréable !!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Un restaurant italien ou on mange très bien, les assiettes sont copieuses et le service très agreable !!! A deux ou en groupe c'est une bonne adresse !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pretheatre-but nothing specialConnieDined on 11/8/2014Arrived early for a 5:45 reservation. Had requested 2nd fl. seating, but was told it was full and was seated at a table near the door and bar. I was not happy! After checking my reservation we were asked if we would like to go to the 3rd fl? Didn't know there was one! We were assured that we would be not forgotten--apparently it's used for overflow and groups--very quiet! Even our server (who was very attentive and stayed with us and several other patrons throughout our meal) didn't know it existed. The food was typical Italian fare. I had a shrimp dish that would have been better without all the bland white beans. My adult daughter loved her lasagna and my hubs was pleased with his chicken dish. Nothing special but fit the bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiding in Plain SightNYNewbieDined on 11/3/2014This neighborhood gem is literally hiding in plain sight along 68th Street. It is a very tiny footprint that almost gets lost in the glitz of the surrounding shops, but the site is deep and has an upper floor. Simple, almost rustic decor, but the service is friendly and fast, without being smothering. The food was delicious -- Grandma's lasagna tasted like it had just come from her kitchen -- but not pretentious. And prices were extremely reasonable.Special Features:
- LEEHOFFDined on 11/2/2014After the theater we usually head down to little Italy for dinner but thought we'd give Daniela's a try. Food was really good. Portions were large and you couldn't beat the location. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed. Left hungry.Inwood57Dined on 11/1/2014Came here the night before the NYC Marathon for pasta. Nice rustic ambiance. Linguine with clam sauce was one of the best white clam sauces I've ever had but was given a ridiculously small portion of pasta. Size of a side order of pasta. Not enough for a dinner portion and definitely not enough for a pre marathon meal. Had to ask for bread. Was given 3 slices for 2 people. Was crammed into a teeny table with not enough room to fit the plates on and was rushed in and out in 30 minutes. Not a relaxing or satisfying dinner. Left hungry and disappointed.
- NoraPickyeater1Dined on 10/26/2014Awesome, hidden spot. Almost missed entrance. CHANGE YOUR OUTSIDE SIGNS....truly will help your business... green & white....like an Irish pub....change it up....your food is too good 4 people to miss! Had he lunch special...wine, salad, chicken parm with green beans & roasted potatoes. Yum! Tasted daughter's cheesecake dessert.......double yum. Will gladly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent FoodtazdevilDined on 10/25/2014I was pleased that although there was a line outside when we arrived, they took us right in with our reservation. The atmosphere is pleasant, we were led to a table upstairs. I was excited as the waiter came immediately to take drink orders, and offer the specials. We ordered the calamari and it was excellent tender and crispy-however, the dinner was disappointing. My lasagna was lukewarm, my girlfriend's rigatoni with bolognaise was more like vodka sauce, the chucks of garlic in the linguini were huge, not chopped or minced-bite into one and you were in for a shock. I must say the wait staff was great even though it was so crowded. All in all, the food was ok- not a place I would revisit.
- Pre Theater DinnerScottDined on 10/23/2014Good food, fast service. We had a quick dinner (1.0-1.5 hours) there before the theater and it was very good. Italian food with a variety of fresh pastas as well as the customary fish, beef, poultry mains. I highly recommend this restaurant, especially if you have time constraints.Special Features:
- ShellDined on 10/23/2014We ate here before the theater. We were concerned about getting out on time and I have to say the service was excellent. We were also fortunate enough to be seated upstairs where there were very few people so there was no noise. The food, however, was minimally acceptable and we were surprised to see that this restaurant did not have a rating.
- Daniela's Trattoria -HungryRoadWarriorDined on 10/22/2014I took a group of associates to Daniela's because they could accommodate a group of 12 before 8:00. The service was very good and the prices were alright but the food was just fair. My veal was dry and overcooked. The red sauce was not very flavorful. I heard similar comments from others in my group. If you're in a hurry and can't get a table at Carmine's then you can fill up at Daniela's.Special Features:
- Solid pre-theater choicegwerlinichDined on 10/21/2014The food at this theater-district eatery is solid, if not great, but they know how to get you in and out in time for the show. I would avoid the wine as the selections were poor. I would say you get what you pay for here: the prices are reasonable and the food is ok.
- Scott ESEMEVIPDined on 10/18/2014Traffic was bad and we were expecting a little late. They took us. Service was great and food was better.no problem making showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The Food and service were wonderful. EVerything we ate was enjoyed but it was a little Pricey.Special Features:
- Disappointeddb999Dined on 10/18/2014I chose this restaurant because it was well reviewed. I don't get it. The service was poor. The waiter seemed really annoyed that we asked a couple of questions about the menu and kept talking to other waiters while we were ordering. The food was nothing special. It is loud and cramped. Will not return
- For pre-theater Daniella's is a winMarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 10/17/2014Their homemade pastas are delicious. The sangria robust. The service friendly. The menu includes lots of choices. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat prior to theater but go early. It's popular and crowded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian flavorKeepitrealDined on 10/13/2014Our group of five ladies felt very welcome and comfortable as soon as we walked in. The service was prompt and courteous. The menu had great variety. My daughter didn't expect the pesto to be quite so heavy, but my dish was spectacular. We always had bread and our glasses were always full. We loved the atmosphere and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!MamaMia06Dined on 10/12/2014Plentiful, delicious prix fixe menu - quite affordable for NYC. Great attentive service. Convenient area to theater - will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater diningSSK1978Dined on 10/11/2014Our party was seated promptly. Luckily, we were escorted to the upstairs dining area as the lower one was very noisy and crowded. Our waitress was attentive and helpful. Our entrees were quite delicious and the portions were large. The priced fix menu was $31 which was reasonable. The downfall to this restaurant is that the staff runs up and down the stairs and through the aisles at a quick pace and also the noise level.Special Features:
- Service above & BeyondBethVIPDined on 10/11/2014We dined at Daniela's on October 11th for lunch before a Broadway matinee. The food was delicious and the service was off the charts! So attentive and well choreographed! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced low-quality italianirkinReviewDined on 10/7/2014It's not easy to find good restaurant near Broadway theaters. We dined at Daniela because it was close to the theater, we had a limited time before the show. My caprese salad was made of three pieces of low-quality tomatoes (this is when good tomatoes are in season!), low-quality mozzarella and basil. My friends had eggplant plant parmigiana, they liked their food.
- Great place!ChrissyDined on 10/4/2014This was our first visit to NYC and we had an 8pm Broadway show planned for Saturday night. This was a perfect pre-show dinner spot. We had a 5pm reservation. Service was incredible. When our food came out, at least 5 servers were available to fill our water, bring more drinks, add fresh parmesan or pepper upon request, etc. Service was so great that we were done after an hour and 15 minutes (and that's taking our time with dessert!) I will definitely be coming back to this restaurant on my next NYC trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowLisaDined on 10/1/2014Excellent food. Great price fix menu. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was great and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable pre-theatre diningpwbeantownDined on 9/27/2014Our second visit to Daniela's, this time for lunch before a matinee. Again the service was friendly and efficient and the food was very good. I enjoyed penne a la vodka, with the pasta properly al dente and a tasty sauce. We rely on Daniela's before the theatre!Special Features:
- wonderful mealnativenewyorkerDined on 9/24/2014Seven of us went to dinner for my husband's birthday. We sat upstairs and had plenty of room. The food was excellent and the service was wonderful. I would go back.Special Features:
- Extremely PleasedDavidDined on 9/20/2014My 12 year old daughter and I ate here Saturday evening and were incredibly pleased with the friendly, accommodating staff and with the quality of the food. Our server, Patrick, was patient with my daughter and was flexible regarding her requests. The portions were a bit too big, which is relatively common but the food was fantastic. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast Servicekc1213Dined on 9/20/2014We had tickets for a 8pm Saturday night broadway show around the corner and the waitstaff was very attentive and quick to get us seated right away. Our food came quickly. We had multiple waiters attending to our drinks and making sure our meal was going well. The food was good. It was something I could have made myself, but I have no complaints. I recommend this place for a nice quick dinner before your show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElsewhereVIPDined on 9/16/2014We enjoyed our choices of chicken dishes. The service was attentive and the ambience was comfortable.Special Features:
- pdg123VIPDined on 9/14/2014Fine for quick pre-theatre. Not fine dining. ----------------------------------------------
- Lil37Dined on 9/14/2014We needed a restaurant that was near the theatre we were going and Daniela's was right there. Our table was ready for 1:15 reservation. Waiters were friendly and attentive and were right there when we needed something. My sister and I ordered chicken marsala which was delicious. It was plentiful and came out piping hot. My husband asked if they had a turkey club sandwich and they made on up for him. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatthatOG24Dined on 9/13/2014Great food. Great service. Great to host groups of people.Special Features:
- Great experienceTruview3Dined on 9/13/2014My family and dined at Daniela's for dinner before a show and it was wonderful. The food was delicious, the location was perfect, and the service was the best. I especially enjoyed my prix fixe dinner with salad, homemade pasta, and Vesuvius dessert. Thank you Daniela's for such a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.