Daniel O'Connell's Restaurant and Pub
112 King St
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
Daniel O'Connell's Restaurant and Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.danieloconnells.com/
- Phone: 7037391124
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Irish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Daniel O'Connell's Restaurant and Pub
O'Connell's, a modern Irish restaurant in an ancient Irish setting. Enjoy the new and bold tastes which have emerged in Ireland. So sink into our comfortable seating, and enjoy good drink, good food and good times!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Daniel O'Connell's Restaurant and Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
- On Game Daykatie8057Dined on 10/13/2013I have been to O'Connells a number of times, but never for Sunday brunch. Food was excellent! My group was a bit disappointed, though, that the football games on TV were "set," as in they could not switch one game from one TV to another. Overall, a good experience. We will be back again, but maybe not for game day brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touch of Ireland in Old Town!!TriciaVIPDined on 9/21/2013We enjoyed dining here - menu is quite varied, food good, and service outstanding. My only concern was the large number of stairs (really up on the 3rd level) for our dinner table - so for the older crowd (I have a bad knee) you might want to check out other table options that might be available. It is a multi-tier restaurant with lots of open space -atrium type- so that makes it a little noisy. Decor is really attractive - bar selections great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013We were here last spring for brunch, it was great. I decided to come back Saturday and have dinner with some friends. To my surprise the menu wasn't Irish enough for me or my friends. There were maybe 4 dinner items that was close for being Irish. The rest of humdrum American and Italian style food. I won't come back for dinner, but I will come back for Breakfast or their Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reserved great tablelepoolDined on 8/23/2013I brought my parents here since they were visiting Old Town. It was great that the receptionist was able to reserve us a special table in the front window in the bar, however I did not realize that the music would be that loud. The food was great, service good, and enjoyed people watching from the window seat. Only drawback was that it was a little too loud for my parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PubCbkkskDined on 8/20/2013Great food and great place on King Street in Alexandria. Fish and chips were great as was the spinach salad with shrimp. Everyone can find something very good,Special Features:
- Good Irish Food for any occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2013We have eaten here many times, and 2013 has been a good year for this restaurant as their quality of food has much improved from previous year, and definitely deserves kudos for good old Irish cooking including excellent fish and deserts as well. We are three adults with different tastes but all of us like a good quality of fresh food and attentive service, and we definitely received all of that on our last visit. We definitely will be back and recommend this restaurant to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone did a great job -MillerTymeDined on 8/11/2013Everyone did a great job - the live music fit the bar scene as well as the dinner crowd. The food was fabulous!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphereSusanlVIPDined on 8/9/2013Great place to drink. I would stay away from having dinner. stick to the bar food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise - first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2013The Sunday brunch menu was great. Three of us: we each had something different; all were very tasty and well prepared. The Liberator Omelet is an excellent value. Service flawless. Definitely return. Not to denigrate Pat Troy's, which we also enjoy, but this is a great Irish Pub and at least for brunch is worth the effort. (But as a conservative, I object to the 10% sales tax which bespeaks the Alexandria milieu :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the traditional pub feelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2013We had a great brunch here on a Sunday. Tasty food and good service. Parking was no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average experienceEt183394Dined on 7/13/2013Food was fine, service barely adequate. Order was messed up in a couple of ways with appetizer coming after meal. Server had more to cover than he could handle in my opinion. Fairly loud, and pretty touristy, but that is Old Town in the summer I suppose.Special Features:
- Great place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2013Quaint atmosphere, good food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRayandKimDined on 7/5/2013Kisty was an excellent server, her attention to detail and genuine display of hospitality was refreshing. The Flat Iron and Rock Fish was outstanding...primo! This is now our place to visit and recommend and not the place a block down on the water anymore.Special Features:
- Father's Day brunchFoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2013Excellent food and service. Buffalo Chicken salad delicious and wine list surprising. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch service needs workTheclassicfoodguysVIPDined on 6/12/2013The service for this lunch was courteous but slow and choppy. There seemed to be two different servers who were in hiding most of the time... The food was excellent and we would try it again if there was nothing else on our schedule that day..Special Features:
- The menu had a lot of itemsfoooodVIPDined on 6/5/2013The menu had a lot of items on it, but not too many were appealing as sadly I'm dairy-free. I would have loved to see more salad options. The place is huge and would be great for a party -- lots of different rooms and sections. The upstairs was wonderful -- lovely to be outside. The tall buildings that surround sorta kept the noise trapped in, so it seemed louder than it was for just the 12 or so people seated up there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely an American Irish Pub...AlexandrianDined on 5/18/2013Saturday night hotspot-- with lots of energetic younger folk. Much too noisy for dinner conversation, definitely a party hotspot. Just hope your irish luck holds out because they were out of two items which were our first choices...Special Features:
- Very warm atmosphere...JackieDined on 5/17/2013My husband and I have started dating again and this was the perfect choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The brunch options were mediocreDandBDined on 5/4/2013The brunch options were mediocre at best. Eggs bennedict were as hard as a rock and the crab cakes were overcooked. Definitely not what we expected from O'Connell's
- Great PubBarnacleDined on 5/2/2013Great food, especially the crab soup. Courteous & prompt service. Great bar service and a comfortable ambiance in the back room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and warm place to dine.BoomerVIPDined on 4/24/2013Fun and warm place to dine. Great setting, food, and service - but it is very noisy - which has its advantages.
- Solid brunchcaitDined on 4/10/2013The selection for brunch is pretty decent and the bartender was generous with the pour in my mimosas. No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not quite what we hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013This was a nice pub, but I wanted to love it more than I did. We made a reservation so that we could see the Irish Step Dancing scheduled, but then were seated behind a pillar. Our server forgot the bread we asked for, and my salad was brought without the grilled chicken I requested. We never did get the bread, but they did correct my salad order quickly. The grilled chicken was on the dry side, but the greens were tasty. (Most folks won't eat at an Irish pub for the salads, LOL.) The location in the heart of Old Town Alexandria was terrific, with easy nearby parking, and the decor was charming. If you just want to say you went to an Irish Pub in Old Town, it's fine and reasonably priced.
- The balcony is the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013Delicious British and Irish pub fare at a reasonable price. Service was friendly but highly variable - at times the waiter came by too frequently, then we could not locate ANY staff when our dessert arrived with no silverware with which to eat it. Paying and leaving was on the slow side, too. My parents and I had a great time sitting on the top floor where the balcony is, which was brighter and quieter than the floor below. Bonus points for having Kilkenney on the beer menu! I would return if I was in the area and/or craving fish and chips, which the parental units described as "excellent".Special Features:
- This pub has fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2013This pub has fantastic food and friendly service. The building is unique and ha a lot of character.Special Features:
- Service was great, the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Service was great, the food was excellent. It was a little hard to hear the others in my group because it was pretty loud but it didn't take away from the experience at all. Will certainly be back.Special Features:
- We had a reservation for 8mrwgVIPDined on 3/13/2013We had a reservation for 8 but they put us at two tables for four that could not be put together. Another big group who came in after us was given the table that we should have been given, especially becuase the tables we were given were not ready for almost 20 minutes. Not only hasd we arrived before the other group but it appeared our reservation had been made first as well. I would not return.
- ChriscconeysDined on 3/9/2013A fun evening out... The restaurant was quite busy on a very nice pre-Spring weekend when many folks were out and about. We were seated promptly upon arrival, and enjoyed a great meal. The service was very good. Absolutely a fun place to go... Not a place to go if you are looking for a quiet romantic night out.Special Features:
- We have a history of noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013We have a history of noise issues with Danny, so lunch is the visit of choice. Requested a quiet table for three via Open Table. No record of that request at restaurant, but that's not new. Hostess was rather sniffy: "Well it's a bar. I don't see how you can expect a bar to be quiet," and she did not offer to seat us in the rear. A kind waitress led us back, however, and we enjoyed ourselves. Waiter was exceptionally courteous and attentive - making up for Ms. Sniffy? Two had Reubens and pronounced them exceptional. One had the lamb stew soup and praised it for tasting like lamb - not always attainable. Cottage-fried sweet potatoes were sinfully good.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, we booked theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Unfortunately, we booked the day that a wedding reception was being held in the restaurant so the entire top floor was blocked off. We were seated at a very small bar table near the entrance and a window so it was fairly cold and the seats weren't very comfortable. However, the wait staff was very friendly and helpful and the food was great. We started with the cheese plate which was quite filly for an appetizer. I had the lamb burger which was very juicy and the sweet potato fries were incredibly sweet; enough to be a desert. My fiance had the seafood pie and enjoyed it although he thought there was too much potato. Overall, a good restaurant and a fun place but make sure you aren't there when they're hosting a big party.
- The food was not good. IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2013The food was not good. I had the salmon was way, way, way overdone. I asked my server about this and she was pretty much indifferent about my complaint. If you want a beer, great. If you are hungry, take your appetite someplace else.
- Being Irish I was pleasantlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Being Irish I was pleasantly surprised by finding such a good traditional Irish pub. I found the shepard's pie, bangers and colcannon and fish and chips delicious. It was great to have curry chips on the menu too, The warm brown and butter was excellent. However my sister and I were disappointed by the Dessert menu when we ordered Bread and Butter pudding. It is was nothing like a Bread and Butter pudding we have ever ate. It came with blueberries and was sliced like toast. Bread and butter pudding is made with raisins and is served as a warm pudding. It's a great place but do you really need a flat screen TV. on every wall?? The crowd there are not even watching it and it turns it into a bit of an American sports bar instead.Special Features:
- Great place to meet in AlexandriaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013The downstairs bar is a great place to meet, friendly and the service was top notch. Service in the upstairs dining room was spotty at first, but after a change in servers, it was very responsive, the calamari was delicious and the seafood pie was very good.Special Features:
- We went on Valentine's Day,HistoryManDined on 2/14/2013We went on Valentine's Day, and while there wasn't any special event or menu offered for the occasion, it was a nice, slightly quirky, romantic venue. I would definitely go back again to try additional menu items and some of their unusual beers.Special Features:
- Oh to be Irish in AlexandriaPeterDined on 2/14/2013With bar and fittings imported from Ireland, the ambience is true Irish in feel. The staff was as gracious as the room, and the food was much better than pub fare with great fish and beef and family style desserts. The Irish Spring Rolls with corned beef, cabbage, and Dubliner cheese on a wonton was terrific. All that and a full Irish bar.Special Features:
- O'Connell'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013We stumbled in here for the first time on St. Patrick's Day and it was busy and packed. Nevertheless, service was good considering how busy it was. It's probably the largest pub I've ever been in. Two floors with two bars and a lot of tables. You can dance the night away on a Fri after your dinner with live music.Special Features:
- Bangers and MashOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Great pub with traditional Irish/British menu. Loved it!Special Features:
- This was a great find! I'mOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2013This was a great find! I'm glad I checked out O'Connell's Restaurant Week menu, it was definitely worth the trip. Very friendly and quick service, tasty food that came out hot and delicious. Loooved the Irish Cream Pie! I can't wait to come back and try the brunch menuSpecial Features:
- Definitely declined over theGGD100VIPDined on 1/16/2013Definitely declined over the past year. Food & service just aren't good anymore.Special Features:
- The menu has changed sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/29/2012The menu has changed since we last went a few years ago. We recall the menu being much more high-end and variable, which is what we were looking for as we were celebrating our anniversary. I will probably only go again for a guy's night out rather than for dinner with my wife.