Daniel George Restaurant and Bar
2837 Culver Rd
Mountain Brook, AL 35223Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Daniel George Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://danielgeorgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2058713266
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Briggs
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will cater events from 10 to 500. We offer heavy hors d'oeuvres, buffet style and seated dinners. We are happy to serve any items from our regular menu or will customize a menu specifically for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room will accommodate as many as 30 guests. Audio visual equipment is available, if needed. We offer a set menu for $60 per person which includes hors d’oeuvres, house salad, a choice of 3 entrees - beef, chicken & fish - and a choice of 2 desserts. Smaller groups of 10 -15 are welcome to order off the regular menu.
- Private Party Contact: Debbie McKinstry/Meredith McMi 2058713266
A word from Daniel George Restaurant and Bar
We hope you will join us at Daniel George restaurant. Located in the heart of Mountain Brook Village, we offer a casual yet elegant dining experience. Our menu includes fresh seafood and local produce. "Farm to Fork" is a philosophy we believe in and strive to pursue on a daily basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Daniel George Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Daniel George Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (25)romantic (24)great for lunch (10)good for groups (8)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Went to DG restaurant for my birthday lunch with my team. The staff was very accommodating and gracious and the food is superb. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food-yes, service & noise-too loud!FunGirlDined on 9/15/2014The food and servings size were excellent. However, the servers were not the experienced professional you would expect to find in this price range. the noise was so loud that the server couldn't or did not seem to hear us. my husband had to ask 3 times to have the champagne served with the meal. When asked about appetizers, she assumed we just wanted to order and then we had to repeat the 2 appetizers we wanted to share at the table. We were a table of 6 with 3 checks and they assessed a 20% tip which included tip on the tax. We were unhappy about this but saw no way to communicate our dissatisfaction. No manager or Maitre de table was available to check on us. After being seated we sat almost 15 minutes before a server appeared.Special Features:
- Menu and wait problemsGCCKDined on 9/2/2014The menu was minimal (few options) and the wait to be served was too long.
- ALWAYS GOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Never had poor service or anything less than a delicious meal at DG. We probably eat here once a month and it is always a treat!Special Features:
- Yum!BamamomVIPDined on 8/16/2014Dinner was delicious! DG offers half portions of most dinner entrees, and the half order of the pork piccata was plenty for me. I also had the heirloom tomatoes with crab aoli and it was enough to share, and was an excellent appetizer. My husband had the whole order of snapper, which he thoroughly enjoyed. He was glad he didn't get the half order of snapper, as that would have been a very small portion. My only reason for giving a 4 star to ambience is that the restaurant could use a little updating in its decor, and there was no shade over the front windows which allowed the glaring late day sun to pour in. We were there early and it wasn't crowded, so the noise was very low. The food was great and we'll go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentBillRDined on 8/15/2014Daniel George has been one of our favorites since it opened. Consistently outstanding; successfully unique; never stale, and always a pleasure. We live in Greystone, and it's worth the drive! Both ways!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Not Sure What It IsBenAroundDined on 8/15/2014First time visitor. Very old crowd. Food was OK, not exceptional. Restaurant was dark and dated. Salad was great. Chocolate Lava cake was disappointment. Scorched, gummy marshmallow or whipped cream. Gross. Hostess chewed gum at the hostess table and EVERY TIME SHE FILLED THE WATER GLASSES. I wanted to smack her. Doubt that we will return. I'm not usually this harsh. Really.
- Fabulous seasonal dinner.TigerHooDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I took my out-of-town parents to Daniel George on August 8, 2014. We started with a very nice pomegranate martini, followed by delicious seasonal appetizers of a Chilton County peach and dog salad, and a stack of fried green and fresh red tomatoes with crab aioli. For dinner, I had the filet, which was flavorful and nicely cooked. My father-in-law had the pork piccata, which he loved, and both my mother and my husband had the grilled snapper, which they loved as well. We opted for decaf cappuccinos instead of dessert. Overall, we had a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Great food and service! Very romantic! Great for date or special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and different menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014Several "different" choices - not your "run of the mill" choicesSpecial Features:
- dg vdg!stithieDined on 8/1/2014daniel george is very darn good. Great service, creative cuisine, nice and quiet. intimate dining, kinda pricey but a great dinner date location.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerdoggieluvDined on 7/26/2014For a change we went out rather than cook for our Saturday night special dinner. It was great. Menu options I would not have made at home and so delicious. Wonderful service. All around a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Great lunch with friendsLuv2bakeDined on 7/24/2014This was my first visit to Daniel George. I expected it to be very expensive and was quite surprised that lunch was around $12.95 for a meat and 3 sides. The sautéed shrimp was delicious, the fried okra was perfect - not greasy at all, and the tomato and cucumber salad was fresh. The cornbread was not very good and I wouldn't recommend the succotash but thst may just be my expectation. We had a delightful visit with friends and the waiter was great. Attentive but not obtrusive. I will definitely return to Daniel George soon. I'm sure the evening meal would be wonderful. Parking is the only negative about this restaurant and that is not under their control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesTinyKingdomFoodieDined on 7/19/2014We love going to Daniel George. Always great food and great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerRzrdocDined on 7/12/2014Had our 34th anniversary dinner at DG. Everything was great. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014Consistent good food and service. One of our favorites! Cannot go wrong with Daniel George :)Special Features:
- Great little restaurant!TravelbearVIPDined on 7/1/2014We enjoyed our first time dining experience in Mountain Brook. I thought the oysters were fabulous.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!troosmimiDined on 6/28/2014Our favorite place bar none. Food, atmosphere, and service (Matt is the best!) are consistently outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I had been to dg a few times, but not for the past couple of years. My experience this past week was much poorer than previous visits. Service is spectacular. Wine list is impressive, as well as non-alcoholic choices. Dessert was amazing. The entree though was not great (filet) and while the meat was generously sized, it was not great quality. Overall, for $150 for two for dinner (no wine) there are much better values in Birmingham. dg is one of the quietest choices though, which is something to consider if you do not want to have to shout the whole meal (as you do at Bottega).Special Features:
- Most Enjoyable Lunch1after32Dined on 6/20/2014Our lunch was absolutely wonderful. Impeccable and courteous wait staff. Will definitely dine here again and soon.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations!FoodieForeverDined on 6/18/2014The food was excellent and the service was the best we've had in a very long time! Our server (Matt) was attentive, helpful, well versed on the food choices and just delightful in every way! We will definitely be back.
- Less Polish Than ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014Our Party of Four dined at DG for lunch this past week. Since it is one of the most highly rated and reviewed restaurants in Birmingham open for lunch, I expected a high quality dining experience. We had an okay dining experience. The food was all right - edible but not notable in anyway and two of the four plates were served with sides other than those we selected. The hostess and servers were generally confused, trying to serve meals to the wrong table and neglecting to fill water glasses. They were accommodating a large group and it may have thrown them off their game, but it did not live up to expectations.Special Features:
- RequestlunchDined on 5/29/2014Requested a table where we could have a little privacy but that did not happen. Food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 268 reviews are from the Daniel George Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- out of fooddixieDined on 5/10/2014our reservations were at 630, we placed order and they were already out of crab claws!! shouldn't have them on special or menuSpecial Features:
- Food portion small for the costDinegirl173Dined on 5/2/2014The title says it all. It was really expensive for what you get and the food just wasn't excellent. We went on a Saturday night at 7 and it was a mostly older clientele. There are so many other restraints that are better and so many more that I haven't tried.
- excellent findjvvfoodieDined on 4/22/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time and we were impressed. We did mostly appetizers and 1 small portion (Salmon) to test a variety of menu offerings as I have group dinner planned in a couple weeks. We had oysters (1/2 raw and 1/2 fried) from the appetizer list and tried the Salmon dinner. Both offerings were excellent - but the oysters were the star. I think I could just go with the full dozen as a dinner offering and be satisfied. New noticed that the table next to us ordered the corn chowder and several salads and they looked great and the diners seems to really enjoy them. We finished with the cheese plate, as neither of us are really dessert people, and it was also excellent. Note: I would give them 4.5 stars here if possible.Special Features:
- Another lovely evening at dgphatmandinesDined on 4/21/2014We arrived just after six and left just before ten. Our party of five started with drinks at the bar and moved on to a leisurely stroll through several courses. The service was terrific and the food skillfully prepared, beautifully presented, and delicious. I’ve lost count of how many evenings I’ve spent at dg, but have never come away disappointed. We will definitely be back again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually GREAT but good...IgougoVIPDined on 4/19/2014We frequent this restaurant very often and while it could have been our "new" waitress, this visit was not as great as usual. The raw oysters were not as cold and as good. And the service was much slower even though it was not a full crowd. This visit will not deter me from coming back but just not the best as I usually can say! The fired oysters were great as always and the red snapper prepared to perfection with seasonings but not too spicy! The dessert was incredible! A brownie served hot with homemade caramel sauce and scoop of vanilla ice cream~ superb!!Special Features:
- Regular dinersRMC1Dined on 4/17/2014Our group (4) dines at DG at least twice a year (we meet monthly) We always enjoy ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy locationSimpleDined on 4/16/2014Good food, well served by attentive staff. Also plenty of street parking nearby. It is a nice place for that special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great mealtravelerVIPDined on 4/15/2014I enjoyed my dinner in this restaurant. The service and food were great. A smaller version of entrees is a great idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014Food and service was terrific. Love having the choice of a smaller dinner portion. Great idea! Only negative was the lighting. Felt like I was siting under a spot light. The waitress did dim the lights however when I mentioned it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/7/2014I needed to entertain some out of town employees on a Monday night. Many restaurants are not open on Monday but Daniel George was open. We all ordered the snapper at the waiter's recommendation. It was perfectly cooked and it melted in our mouths. It was divine. The waiter was friendly and attentive. The service was great. I will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another excellent dinnerBobByrdVIPDined on 4/4/2014Service: Great Food: Great overall experience: Great. I love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedwmd2001VIPDined on 3/28/2014This was our first visit. Overall, the menu and quality were not what I would have expected, even before price was taken into consideration. In particular, the roast pork was very dry and tough, to the point of being hard to eat. The restaurant was nice enough to provide a different entree, which was better. The starter, wine, and dessert were all very good. But none of the entrees that we got went beyond "ok". I had much higher expectations for the place based on reputation, location, and price. In my opinion, there are definitely better options in town in their price range.
- pretty goodbrunchyDined on 3/13/2014Consistently good food; one of the better Birmingham restaurants. Not as good as it used to be. Reliable local place; quiet and civilized atmosphere. A refuge, in a way. We had an unfortunate waiter: he didn't exactly do anything wrong but was annoying and over-fake-friendly. Too "pals"-y for this place; maybe just a clash of styles with our preference for a bit of polite distance. Overall fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey. Our serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014A little pricey. Our service was great. Food very good, but not special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellenttroosmimiDined on 2/22/2014As always, we enjoyed every moment of our evening at DG. Our reservation was early so the place was almost ours alone for a few minutes! Our table awaited in a prime spot, a very cozy corner. Our friends arrived and we enjoyed conversation and wine for a while with no pressure from our waiter to order but rather he was eager to answer questions about the menu items, offer suggestions and make sure we comfortable. The food was delicious as always and this time we even ordered dessert! I highly recommend the coconut rum sorbet! The only disappointment of the evening was that the tuna sashimi appetizer was absent from the menu!! Can't wait to visit DG again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely good food and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2014Extremely good food and very well thought out, fairly priced wine options. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and i thoroughly enjoyed it! The filet was one of the best I've ever tasted. I would recommend a better dessert menu. The ones we had were not good. Everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.