Daniel George Restaurant and Bar
2837 Culver Rd
Mountain Brook, AL 35223Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Daniel George Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://danielgeorgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2058713266
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Briggs
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will cater events from 10 to 500. We offer heavy hors d'oeuvres, buffet style and seated dinners. We are happy to serve any items from our regular menu or will customize a menu specifically for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room will accommodate as many as 30 guests. Audio visual equipment is available, if needed. We offer a set menu for $60 per person which includes hors d’oeuvres, house salad, a choice of 3 entrees - beef, chicken & fish - and a choice of 2 desserts. Smaller groups of 10 -15 are welcome to order off the regular menu.
- Private Party Contact: Debbie McKinstry/Meredith McMi 2058713266
A word from Daniel George Restaurant and Bar
We hope you will join us at Daniel George restaurant. Located in the heart of Mountain Brook Village, we offer a casual yet elegant dining experience. Our menu includes fresh seafood and local produce. "Farm to Fork" is a philosophy we believe in and strive to pursue on a daily basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Daniel George Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Daniel George Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (36)fit for foodies (33)romantic (29)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (11)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- SuperbSimpleDined on 10/22/2014Excellent food and service. willing to adapt menus to suit a heart patient with a restricted diet. Very impressed.Special Features:
- Good food, but not a great Dinner.AlabamaVIPDined on 10/16/2014Food was very good. Service was bordering on poor. For the price of the dinner there should be a much more attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gr8xperiencesDined on 10/3/2014Planning an amazing birthday weekend at the Fabulous Tutwiler, the concierge recommended we have our celebratory dinner at Daniel George. I could not believe I had never had the privilege of dining at dg. The host was welcoming upon our arrival which sat the tone for a great evening. Our attendant was very warm and genuine. The wine was great and food amazing. The atmosphere was perfect and our party of 9 was taken care of perfectly. I will highly recommend Daniel George for all who wish a perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLuvfoodDined on 10/1/2014Entertained an out of town guest who was impressed with the Excellent food and service. Love that they offer half portions for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomaDined on 9/29/2014Very limited wine by the glass menu. Noise level so loud that I could not hear the person sitting next to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealbhmlrwDined on 9/23/2014The food at Daniel George is always good! Fresh ingredients and wonderful combinations of flavors.Special Features:
- Food was excellentouttoeatagainDined on 9/19/2014The food was excellent - the menu is changed daily so you get the freshest ingredients. I had Pork Piccata for my entrée, and heirloom tomato salad to start. Both were perfectly prepared and delicious. The only slight negative was the service -just not up to par for a restaurant of that caliber. We were out of water many times, and had to wait for it to be refilled, and several times you chatted, waited and got to the point that you were wondering "where is my waiter??" The crème brulee for dessert was fabulous, but I ordered a cappuccino (the milk steamer wasn't working) and hubby ordered espresso (the espresso machine was "out of water"). Overall a great meal, just some slight surprising negatives that kept it from being 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodTeresaHDined on 9/19/2014It had been a few years since I had eaten here so I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed! The food was delicious. My son had the beef tenderloin, cooked to perfection and melted in his mouth. I had the red snapper, crispy on the outside, flaky and moist on the inside. Best red snapper I've had. We ended the night with the vanilla creme brulé topped with blueberries. Everything was just wonderful including our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayCharDined on 9/17/2014Went to DG restaurant for my birthday lunch with my team. The staff was very accommodating and gracious and the food is superb. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food-yes, service & noise-too loud!FunGirlDined on 9/15/2014The food and servings size were excellent. However, the servers were not the experienced professional you would expect to find in this price range. the noise was so loud that the server couldn't or did not seem to hear us. my husband had to ask 3 times to have the champagne served with the meal. When asked about appetizers, she assumed we just wanted to order and then we had to repeat the 2 appetizers we wanted to share at the table. We were a table of 6 with 3 checks and they assessed a 20% tip which included tip on the tax. We were unhappy about this but saw no way to communicate our dissatisfaction. No manager or Maitre de table was available to check on us. After being seated we sat almost 15 minutes before a server appeared.Special Features:
- Menu and wait problemsGCCKDined on 9/2/2014The menu was minimal (few options) and the wait to be served was too long.
- ALWAYS GOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Never had poor service or anything less than a delicious meal at DG. We probably eat here once a month and it is always a treat!Special Features:
- Yum!BamamomVIPDined on 8/16/2014Dinner was delicious! DG offers half portions of most dinner entrees, and the half order of the pork piccata was plenty for me. I also had the heirloom tomatoes with crab aoli and it was enough to share, and was an excellent appetizer. My husband had the whole order of snapper, which he thoroughly enjoyed. He was glad he didn't get the half order of snapper, as that would have been a very small portion. My only reason for giving a 4 star to ambience is that the restaurant could use a little updating in its decor, and there was no shade over the front windows which allowed the glaring late day sun to pour in. We were there early and it wasn't crowded, so the noise was very low. The food was great and we'll go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentBillRDined on 8/15/2014Daniel George has been one of our favorites since it opened. Consistently outstanding; successfully unique; never stale, and always a pleasure. We live in Greystone, and it's worth the drive! Both ways!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Not Sure What It IsBenAroundDined on 8/15/2014First time visitor. Very old crowd. Food was OK, not exceptional. Restaurant was dark and dated. Salad was great. Chocolate Lava cake was disappointment. Scorched, gummy marshmallow or whipped cream. Gross. Hostess chewed gum at the hostess table and EVERY TIME SHE FILLED THE WATER GLASSES. I wanted to smack her. Doubt that we will return. I'm not usually this harsh. Really.
- Fabulous seasonal dinner.TigerHooDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I took my out-of-town parents to Daniel George on August 8, 2014. We started with a very nice pomegranate martini, followed by delicious seasonal appetizers of a Chilton County peach and dog salad, and a stack of fried green and fresh red tomatoes with crab aioli. For dinner, I had the filet, which was flavorful and nicely cooked. My father-in-law had the pork piccata, which he loved, and both my mother and my husband had the grilled snapper, which they loved as well. We opted for decaf cappuccinos instead of dessert. Overall, we had a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Great food and service! Very romantic! Great for date or special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and different menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014Several "different" choices - not your "run of the mill" choicesSpecial Features:
- dg vdg!stithieDined on 8/1/2014daniel george is very darn good. Great service, creative cuisine, nice and quiet. intimate dining, kinda pricey but a great dinner date location.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerdoggieluvDined on 7/26/2014For a change we went out rather than cook for our Saturday night special dinner. It was great. Menu options I would not have made at home and so delicious. Wonderful service. All around a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Great lunch with friendsLuv2bakeDined on 7/24/2014This was my first visit to Daniel George. I expected it to be very expensive and was quite surprised that lunch was around $12.95 for a meat and 3 sides. The sautéed shrimp was delicious, the fried okra was perfect - not greasy at all, and the tomato and cucumber salad was fresh. The cornbread was not very good and I wouldn't recommend the succotash but thst may just be my expectation. We had a delightful visit with friends and the waiter was great. Attentive but not obtrusive. I will definitely return to Daniel George soon. I'm sure the evening meal would be wonderful. Parking is the only negative about this restaurant and that is not under their control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesTinyKingdomFoodieDined on 7/19/2014We love going to Daniel George. Always great food and great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerRzrdocDined on 7/12/2014Had our 34th anniversary dinner at DG. Everything was great. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014Consistent good food and service. One of our favorites! Cannot go wrong with Daniel George :)Special Features:
- Great little restaurant!TravelbearVIPDined on 7/1/2014We enjoyed our first time dining experience in Mountain Brook. I thought the oysters were fabulous.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!troosmimiDined on 6/28/2014Our favorite place bar none. Food, atmosphere, and service (Matt is the best!) are consistently outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I had been to dg a few times, but not for the past couple of years. My experience this past week was much poorer than previous visits. Service is spectacular. Wine list is impressive, as well as non-alcoholic choices. Dessert was amazing. The entree though was not great (filet) and while the meat was generously sized, it was not great quality. Overall, for $150 for two for dinner (no wine) there are much better values in Birmingham. dg is one of the quietest choices though, which is something to consider if you do not want to have to shout the whole meal (as you do at Bottega).Special Features:
- The following 272 reviews are from the Daniel George Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Most Enjoyable Lunch1after32Dined on 6/20/2014Our lunch was absolutely wonderful. Impeccable and courteous wait staff. Will definitely dine here again and soon.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations!FoodieForeverDined on 6/18/2014The food was excellent and the service was the best we've had in a very long time! Our server (Matt) was attentive, helpful, well versed on the food choices and just delightful in every way! We will definitely be back.
- Less Polish Than ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014Our Party of Four dined at DG for lunch this past week. Since it is one of the most highly rated and reviewed restaurants in Birmingham open for lunch, I expected a high quality dining experience. We had an okay dining experience. The food was all right - edible but not notable in anyway and two of the four plates were served with sides other than those we selected. The hostess and servers were generally confused, trying to serve meals to the wrong table and neglecting to fill water glasses. They were accommodating a large group and it may have thrown them off their game, but it did not live up to expectations.Special Features:
- RequestlunchDined on 5/29/2014Requested a table where we could have a little privacy but that did not happen. Food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of fooddixieDined on 5/10/2014our reservations were at 630, we placed order and they were already out of crab claws!! shouldn't have them on special or menuSpecial Features:
- Food portion small for the costDinegirl173Dined on 5/2/2014The title says it all. It was really expensive for what you get and the food just wasn't excellent. We went on a Saturday night at 7 and it was a mostly older clientele. There are so many other restraints that are better and so many more that I haven't tried.
- excellent findjvvfoodieDined on 4/22/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time and we were impressed. We did mostly appetizers and 1 small portion (Salmon) to test a variety of menu offerings as I have group dinner planned in a couple weeks. We had oysters (1/2 raw and 1/2 fried) from the appetizer list and tried the Salmon dinner. Both offerings were excellent - but the oysters were the star. I think I could just go with the full dozen as a dinner offering and be satisfied. New noticed that the table next to us ordered the corn chowder and several salads and they looked great and the diners seems to really enjoy them. We finished with the cheese plate, as neither of us are really dessert people, and it was also excellent. Note: I would give them 4.5 stars here if possible.Special Features:
- Another lovely evening at dgphatmandinesDined on 4/21/2014We arrived just after six and left just before ten. Our party of five started with drinks at the bar and moved on to a leisurely stroll through several courses. The service was terrific and the food skillfully prepared, beautifully presented, and delicious. I’ve lost count of how many evenings I’ve spent at dg, but have never come away disappointed. We will definitely be back again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually GREAT but good...IgougoVIPDined on 4/19/2014We frequent this restaurant very often and while it could have been our "new" waitress, this visit was not as great as usual. The raw oysters were not as cold and as good. And the service was much slower even though it was not a full crowd. This visit will not deter me from coming back but just not the best as I usually can say! The fired oysters were great as always and the red snapper prepared to perfection with seasonings but not too spicy! The dessert was incredible! A brownie served hot with homemade caramel sauce and scoop of vanilla ice cream~ superb!!Special Features:
- Regular dinersRMC1Dined on 4/17/2014Our group (4) dines at DG at least twice a year (we meet monthly) We always enjoy ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy locationSimpleDined on 4/16/2014Good food, well served by attentive staff. Also plenty of street parking nearby. It is a nice place for that special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great mealtravelerVIPDined on 4/15/2014I enjoyed my dinner in this restaurant. The service and food were great. A smaller version of entrees is a great idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014Food and service was terrific. Love having the choice of a smaller dinner portion. Great idea! Only negative was the lighting. Felt like I was siting under a spot light. The waitress did dim the lights however when I mentioned it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.