20590 S LaGrange Rd
Frankfort, IL 60423Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dancingmarlinrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8154646646x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chefs John, Jackson & Matt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our level dining room can accommodate up to 60 guests!
- Private Party Contact: Teresa 8154646646x
A word from Dancing Marlin
The Dancing Marlin is all about small plates, sharing & great wines and cocktails on tap! There also is a full bar. The menu has something for everyone with fresh seafood being a specialty. The culinary team has created a small plates menu that is both affordable and amazing! We feature a communal dining table for up to 14 guests. Our bar features 16 wines on tap and 8 "made from scratch", crafted cocktails. The bar also features 30 craft beers in bottles and cans. The restaurant features (3) private dining rooms that can accommodate up to 120 guests. All of this is packaged up in a modern restaurant design, produced by award winning design team. Knauer Inc!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dancing Marlin - Best Restaurants in Frankfort ›
Dancing Marlin reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (80)good for groups (79)special occasion (72)hot spot (42)notable wine list (35)romantic (22)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- jamesDined on 9/13/2014ok....nice to try.....table seating is terribly tight. interesting and tasty foods but not relaxingSpecial Features:
- Always outstanding!FoodieNtheburbsDined on 9/13/2014Love, love, LOVE this breath of fresh air in the Southwest 'burbs. Food is always fresh, innovative & delicious! On-tap cocktails are top notch. Never had a bad time here & the season menu is always spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey But Good FoodNancyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very good food (small plates), tap wine & cocktails. The food is always very good but it is a little TOO pricey. Good flat bread pizza (mushroom), Sloppy Joseph's very good, scallops were delicious. Save room for dessert as the chocolate shooters & turtle cheesecakes (4) were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Frankfort's BestSouthSubReviewerDined on 9/12/2014The Dancing Marlin has some absolutely delicious offerings; among my favorites: fried green tomato sliders; gnuddi; ahi nachos; heirloom tomatoes and burrata. Some dishes are more "miss" than "hit" -- the pastrami tacos and they had an overpowering mustard note. But the beauty of the Dancing Marlin is there are so many choices and because it is small plates -- you will be sure to have a fun, adventurous dining experience. But don't go here with people who do not love to eat and who are not willing to try new things. Very good beer selection. This is really one of the best restaurants in the Southwest suburbs. The chef is enthusiastic as are the owners. They are trying to bring something new to the area and they are succeeding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!Rasween7Dined on 9/12/2014Food was fantastic! There are options for those who are not huge seafood fans or adventurous eaters. Drink list was good. But, they could add some more wine options. Went for my birthday and everyone had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls NightGirlsNightDined on 9/12/2014Everything we ordered was delicious! Our waitress was excellent! Only complaint was noise level, we felt like we had to scream over the music to talk to one another. Aside from that we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening funPickyFoodiesDined on 9/12/2014Great time at Dancing Marlin!! Went as a group of five; great place for a larger group. Small plates conducive to sharing, and sampling more items! Food delicious, wines were ok but not spectacular. Would definitely recommend, and will go again! Great suburban find, with more of a city vibe. Loved it!!Special Features:
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Went here for the first time and enjoyed the experience. The food was very good and the service as well. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Not a favoritemcdinerDined on 9/6/2014The menu needs less cheese, cream and oil. We tried several items from different sections of the menu and almost all, in fact all, were either fried, or cheesy or both. The bowl that our Kale was served in had a puddle of oil in the bottom. Slow down the service just a bit and drain the kale before you throw it in the bowl and put the cheese on top. It's healthy? oil but no one needs to see it at the bottom of the bowl. Our waitress was friendly, well informed and very efficient. It could have been that we just didn't order the right items but the menu was weighted at least 5 to 1 with dishes that had cheese, fried, or mayo/cream etc in the description.
- A Definite CatchFoodsAreUsDined on 9/5/2014First visit to Dancing Marlin and WOW what a catch! The smaller plates allowed us to try a number of different items. Their take on familiar things really gave each taste a unique experience. Seven items and each equally as good as the others. From start to finish you would think the South Suburbs couldn't offer a place like this. Any food snob would be smiling here. The cute place offered an inviting atmosphere. The owner stopped to make sure all was to our liking and Rebecca our server was exceptional. I'm sure you will enjoy this catch yourself. Have fun and make sure you try "The Pig & The Fig!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencefoodieforlifeDined on 9/4/2014we loved dancing marlin especially since our server was so helpful fun experience food was very good and my picky husband enjoyed the experienceSpecial Features:
- Fit for FrankfurtFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Frankfurt has never had tapas because the waitress spent 5 minutes explaining the tapas concept to us. Tapas is an old concept in Chicago ( cafe babariba) Food was okay I thought the kale chips were too greasy, husband lives the dates and pork, the veggie items especially salad a bit overpricedSpecial Features:
- On my favorites listJablack1960Dined on 8/30/2014Dancing Marlin is a new go-to place. The staff is competent and personable. The flavors the chefs arrange in each dish combine wonderfully. I've experienced nothing like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorB4UNoItDined on 8/30/2014Love the flavor combinations in the dishes. We have been here several times and the food has always exceeded our expectations. I love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Yum!SickofbarfoodDined on 8/30/2014The food was great! It was served tapas style which allowed us to try numerous items. One of my favorites was the ahi tuna nachos and my husbands was the bone marrow. We both also enjoyed the soft shell crab sliders that were on special. We are already talking about going back ASAP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty bites that take a bite...Red1LauraDined on 8/29/2014Out of your wallet that is! I went to the Dancing Marlin with a girlfriend to celebrate our birthdays, so the occasion was special and warranted a nice dinner. However, I felt like $12 - $18 dollars for their small plates (tapas) was a little steep. There were only 3-4 tastes on each plate (as in 4 nachos or 4 meatballs) and our bill for 3 tapas and 4 total glasses of wine was over $80 dollars. The service was adequate but not exceptional. Our waitress was informative and attentive but not very warm or cheerful. I may go back again for the food, it was interesting and tasty but it will have to be another very special occasion. The atmosphere is energetic and a bit loud so as soon as we were done eating we left to go somewhere quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth The Drive From ChicagoFredrickDined on 8/29/2014I was skeptical when a friend suggested a "wine on tap" venue. Much to my surprise, the menu was quite eclectic, and was Tapas style service though I would not describe the food as the type you’d find in a traditional Spanish Tapas cuisine restaurant. EVERYTHING was OUTSTANDING! I recommend the shrimp & chorizo, and avocado taco selections; crab stuffed peppers were stunningly succulent. Ahi tuna nachos & oysters “rockefellaz” - delectable. The coup de grace was undoubtedly the scallops! Dessert: Must have “turtle cheesecake bites.” Wine served on tap? Not the least bit oxidized. Technology! Hearing that there was an armchair wine connoisseur with questions about his wine Ed took time to sit with our table to explain the process-MUST DO!Special Features:
- A+ on Food, B on Wine, A on ServicefoodiebobDined on 8/27/2014Well prepared small sharing portions. We especially liked the scallops, and regretted not ordering a second plate. The porchetta was not only excellent, but a large portion, enough for 4. All wine is on tap, no bottles, and our selection of the Sauvignon Blanc was much too fruity and lacked crispness. Still, I'd go back, if only for those scallops.Special Features:
- city food in burbsajh1Dined on 8/26/2014Progressive menu with upscale American tapas. While seafood is sprinkled in with the other offerings, the name might be misleading for those who don't investigate the menu as it sounds like a seafood house. Fun sharable food. Pickier eaters will have just a few options, but foodies will be very happy to see a restaurant like this in the southwest suburbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodcarguyDined on 8/23/2014Made a reservation and had to wait a little over 10 minutes after getting there. Not a big deal. after getting seated it took a few minutes for the waitstaff to arrive and there was no drink/wine menu on the table. The food they had was good but there was 3 items on the menu we were excited to try that they were out of. The were apologetic and very friendly but my experience my have been better if I could have eaten the menu items that I was excited to try. I'd go again. Hopefully next time they'll have what I'm going for. I'd recommend to check the menu online first and call before going to make sure they have what looks good to you.Special Features:
- Steelmanmike55Dined on 8/23/2014The food was great, and the service was outstanding. Our server was the best and showed up just at the right time with the next dish.Special Features:
- Great Find!KtoneDined on 8/23/2014My initial impression of the Dancing Marlon, was " I have made an epic mistake, and my wife is not going to be happy!" Ultimately, it's somewhat cramped and "plain looking". However, the service was Great, the food was delicious. We were seated immediately, and the food came out hot and quick. Very unique dinning experience. Excellent for a first date, or an intimate date night with your spouse....really enjoyed myself without having to travel to the city!Special Features:
- You Should Eat HereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Fabulous menu. Wonderful service. Great ambience. I would recommend this place to, literally, anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super fun.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014We had a great time. Took our 12 year old and her bff and they loved it. Highly recommend our waitresses Candice and the gin & juice cocktail. SuperbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TKCRhinoDined on 8/21/2014Have been there a number of times over the past couple of years and have always enjoyed the experience. The small plate menu is constantly changing so you have an opportunity to always try new selections and well as some of the standard items.Special Features:
- Our AnniversaryAPandBMWDined on 8/20/2014We are from out of town and found The Dancing Marlin on line. It was just what I was looking for our Anniversary dinner. The food was fantastic. We wanted to order more. We'll go back and try other plates. The service was very friendly. We loved it and would tell everyone to try it.Special Features:
- first time diningann3ty4Dined on 8/16/2014Food portions are a joke. Whatever you order is not enough size portion to share. Would not recommend. Very too high price for the small portions of food.Special Features:
- Who Knew?bbshpperDined on 8/16/2014Stumbled on the Dancing Marlin after trying for reservations at some other well-known places. Took a chance and really lucked out. To say the food was good would be a disservice, it was imaginative, fresh, well prepared and, incredibly tasty. My wife and I had four dishes to share (mushroom flatbread, summer salad, crab stuffed peppers and porchetta) coffee and doughnuts for dessert. We could have stopped easily after the first four but the dessert beckoned. Our server, Katie, was very helpful, explaining how things worked and suggested dishes (there are 39 to choose from, 15 fish-based). Food comes fresh out of the kitchen served immediately as it's done; no warming lights here. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Not for megibs4778Dined on 8/15/2014I am a steak and potatoes kind of guy so this place is not for me. This is the type of food you see on tv for people who eat like mice. Very nice waitress. Seated right away with reservation. My wife and I were sat next to a couple who was laughing at us because we didn't know what some of the food was. As I said before, not for me.Special Features:
- EnjoyBambinoDined on 8/15/2014We are regulars at Dancing Marlin. Chef Jackson is creative, and always finds innovative ways to combine ingredients, top quality fish, beef, and chicken, and unique sauces. This summer the soft-shelled crab sliders, ahi tuna wontons, and designer salads are big hits. The fresh fish specials (marlin or mahi mahi, or ono) are perfectly cooked with interesting sauces to boot. The meat dishes we tried (sliders and steak) are tasty. BM even offers a bone marrow dish with the most delicious short-rib/onion marmalade. The staff is friendly and the chef happily visits to talk food. The room is pleasant, but not fancy. I wish the bar mixed drinks and had a draft, craft beer program. We like the small plate, sharing design of the menu.Special Features:
- really enjoyed itenjoyfoodDined on 8/15/2014Great food, delicious! We really enjoyed the experience & Jay our waiter was fantastic. He was informative, helpful, quick on delivery of food & info.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas HeavenJeanEVIPDined on 8/13/2014I've dined here three times and won't tire of it any time soon. The dishes are imaginative and delicious. Love to share? This is the place to do it.Special Features:
- Family Dinnerneck13Dined on 8/13/20146 of us went there for dinner. My parents and brother have not been to the restaurant but the idea they though was interesting. We ordered tacos, flatbreads, fish dip, meatballs, and desert. Everyone enjoyed the food and the idea of small plates to share. Great place to go, but make sure if you go with a group to bring people you don't mind sharing food with. (someone in your group might finger the food)Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!!KathleenDined on 8/9/2014Phenomenal night with friends, thanks to Dancing Marlin and their incredible food and staff.Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening!KevinVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is my second visit to the Dancing Marlin. Enjoyed it just as much as the last time. Katie, our server, was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and made some excellent recommendations. The food was delicious and perfect for sharing. The Shrimp Bahn Mi and the Fig & the Pig were my favorites. My wife had the specialty drink flight and I had wine. Generous pours and fresh. Highly recommend this place and will return.Special Features:
- yum!lovecheeseDined on 8/8/2014Mmmmmm my partner and I really loved our dinner! It is small plate tapas type style but I am a vegetarian and she is not so we didn't do much sharing! She got mostly seafood items (their specialty) which she loved even though she is a very picky eater. Their fish is flown in daily so it's extremely fresh. My vegetarian items were amazing too! They have special notations on the menu for people with food restrictions (veg, gluten free etc). It's a fancy restaurant without being pretentious. You can hold a nice conversation there as it is lively. My partner wanted to go back the next night it was so good! It is slightly pricey though (although worth it) so I think we will save for a little less frequently! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in FrankfortOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Never disapointed here. Solid food choices. Service was spotty this time and noise level a bit much. If that does not bother you then it is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun, fantastic food!girlsnightfunDined on 8/5/2014Dancing Marlin has quickly become our favorite "Girl's Night Out" spot. The wine is amazing and the food is spectacular. The menu is seasonal, so you get the chance to try new dishes along with your favorites. The food is so fresh and flavorful. Our particular favorites were the shrimp bahn mi, oysters rockafellaz, and stuffed peppers...so delicious and fun to share! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Some items were better than others but overall the food was fantastic. The service from our waitress was great but the servers that brought out the dishes didn't seam to have much interest in presentation. They would simply put the plate anywhere on the table - no removal of the old dish and no appropriately centering the new dish in the middle between you and your guest. Ambience is nice and has a cool urban vibe that we liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!ShelDined on 7/31/2014Came for the dueling piano's...again. Just so much fun and convenient that you don't have to go downtown for. As always it was a lively crowd. Sidenote: If you don't like noise be sure to ask for the back room if it's dueling piano night (which has been once a month on Thursdays lately). Many great items on the new summer menu. Incredible flavor combinations on both food and drinks. Our table had many great items...pastrami tacos, fig and the pig, chicken flat bread just to name a few. Whether it's dueling pianos, date night or girls night out, you will love this place.Special Features: