629 N. Highway 190
Covington, LA 70433Neighborhood:
CreolePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thedakotarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9858923712
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm
Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American, Creole
- Executive Chef: Kim Kringlie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering for both elegant and casual events in any location desired. Our event planning and catering branch, Grand Events and Dakota Catered, has designed and catered parties of 2 to 1200 in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Texas, and New York.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining rooms allow for dinner parties of up to 120, and cocktail receptions up to 400 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Scott Vagnier 9858923712
A word from Dakota Restaurant
Open since October of 1990, The Dakota has been a pioneer in the culinary industry on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain. Their cuisine is influenced by the flavorful Creole cuisine, with Contemporary Louisiana. Other influences include the Southwest, California, and Asia using fresh local and seasonal ingredients. The carefully selected wines pay tribute to the well crafted wines of California and Oregon while offering a few of the traditional styles of Europe and Australia. Rich mahogany millwork and earth tone colors set the stage for a comfortably elegant dining experience. The Dakota continues to set the mark for what people look for when they dine – well crafted food, detail-oriented service, plush surroundings, and genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Dakota Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Northshore ›
Dakota Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)romantic (34)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (10)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent food and serviceRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 9/22/2014My companion and I were in Covington for business meetings and every local we spoke with said that we must go to Dakota for the crab and brie soup. Not only was the soup absolutely wonderful (our server, Mark, said, "Angels come down to make that soup" and we believe him!), we also enjoyed the broiled oysters (the truffled parmesan was amazing), the soft shell crab and the seafood mix grill. The cocktails and wine list were spot on, and the service was exceptional. Even though it was a quiet night by the time we were there, we never felt rushed and Mark and Blaine did a great job making us feel welcome. I will definitely return if I get the chance!Special Features:
- Best yet!!notthemommaDined on 9/13/2014Everything at Dakota was amazing!!! Highly recommend it and the wine list is outstanding. Mark was our server and we loved him!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticMsMonique1987Dined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere. Worth every pennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendmonkeyjb56Dined on 9/4/2014Everything was perfect from the moment we walked in.Special Features:
- Great food and servicejt8357Dined on 8/18/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Dakota's. Family went for my birthday (group of 6). It wasn't crowded at all that night. The service was impeccable and everything we ordered was delicious. The filet was exceptional.Special Features:
- WHAT A WONDERFUL PLACELIVE2EATDined on 8/13/2014You NEVER go wrong eating at the Dakota! From drinks to entrees/deserts--WONDERFUL! THANKS for making our special days have special memories.Special Features:
- BamJbamDined on 8/12/2014Very nice place to dine.The wine was good ,the people were great,My Husband and I will be returning We celebrated our 53 wedding anniversary on this evening, Everything was perfect. Thank you Dakotas.Special Features:
- amazing flavorsupernova22Dined on 8/7/2014To start the waitstaff was amazing. Presentation of the dishes was well thought out. The flavors are second to none. Everything was prepared perfectly. Looking forward to our return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience...!!!inluvwithwineDined on 7/30/2014This was my first dining experience at the Dakota and it was absolutely amazing. The customer service was awesome, the food was superb and the setting was romantic. This restaurant was a great choice to celebrate my husband's birthday. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnernflrickDined on 7/26/2014Food was great, as was the service. I have dined here several times over the past few years and each time it has been a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014Loved the lamb nachos, crab and Brie soup and veal with 3 sauces. Wish we had room for dessert. Our waiter Mark was outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently Outstanding!LeftyMHVIPDined on 7/5/2014Always a pleasurable experience to dine at Dakota. The food has a variety of entrees and other items that are atypical of most other fine dining restaurants. The wait staff is extraordinary; they are proficient, friendly, and work well as a team. Food is served by enough staff members so that all at the table get their food at the same time. Ambiance is better than most fine dining restaurants in the New Orleans area with nice decor and not too noisy. The wine lists are very extensive but should offer more good wines in lower price ranges. Final bill can be expensive with higher than average wine prices and entree prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodLuvsteakDined on 7/3/2014This place was amazing! Lobster BLT salad was outstanding. Soft shell crab and Seafood mixed grill were delicious! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014Delicious food, beautiful presentation, great service, a must dine destination!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike was awesome!JrodDined on 6/28/2014Request the server named Mike. He was fantastic! This was our first experience with Dakotas and we were celebrating our engagement. We basically went off his recommendations and everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dakota always excellent.ExcellinfoodDined on 6/14/2014The staff and food at the Dakota are excellent. All the staff pay close attention to you. The menu choices have some regular items and always include new or special items. Try their wine tasting and beer tasting nights and you will appreciate the chef and the Dakota even more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinning ExperienceBubbles86Dined on 6/7/2014We had the chefs tasting menu with the wine paring as well. It was a totally exquisite dinning experience from start to finish. It is a must for any foodie out there.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerWeAreTheWsDined on 6/5/2014The food, wait staff and overall experience was great. Food was incredible! Wait staff didn't miss a beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience as always!MarkkajohnsonDined on 6/3/2014Celebrated my birthday at this gem of a restaurant ... Awesome food with great service.Special Features:
- The following 176 reviews are from the Dakota Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014My wife and I have dined here for our anniversaries and enjoy the ambiance, food and excellent service. I rate the service as comparable to the top New Orleans restaurants and the food is excellent. The wine list is quite extensive. We look forward to returning soon!Special Features:
- DisappointedForidianDined on 5/22/2014This was our 5th time here for dinner. It has a lovely dining room. When we arrived for our 8PM reservation we were told we would be in the bar/lounge. One table was set up with a white cloth and the China used in the dining room. The other tables were bare. The restaurant was empty except for a man who came in for a drink at the bar. There appeared to be a small party in a back room or at least two people left. The food as usual was delicious. The service was fine with two wait persons taking care of us. Ambiance is an importance part of a nice dinner. Sitting in an empty bar was disappointing. I think the restaurant should have informed us in advance instead of pointing to the bar and saying our table is there, no apology or explanation.
- Slow start but 5 star finish!FoodFanVIPDined on 5/19/2014This was our first time to dine at Dakota and the service began on a low note as it took 15 minutes for our server to arrive to tell us the nightly specials. However, once he arrived it was all perfect from that point on. The food was as good as you would find on the other shore (New Orleans) and we could not have been more pleased with our experience. We will definitely plan to return!Special Features:
- after 14 years still the besteagleVIPDined on 5/16/2014Great food start to finish mark,great server,go there you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hold the hushpuppiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2014My husband and I had an early dinner. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. My meal was very good. My husband had the almondine redfish. Hushpuppies made with sweet potato and Andouille accompanied the dish but they were fried too dark and did not make too much of an appeal on the plate. The taste was not good either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day LunchTiggerly2002Dined on 5/11/2014We went to The Dakota for Mother's Day lunch. The food was excellent. The service, though, was not quite up to par. The kids' menu had chicken strips with French fries on it. We tried to order the kids' menu petite filet with French fries instead of mashed potatoes, and the waiter insisted they were not cooking French fries. Maybe the chef changed his mind. We had to ask several times for water. I also ordered an iced tea and had to ask twice for it. The kids' menu had an ice cream sundae with chocolate sprinkles, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and cherry on it. My son just wanted a scoop of ice cream with the chocolate sprinkles, and the waiter brought out the ice cream with chocolate sauce and said they didn't have sprinkles.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnermemeDined on 5/9/2014The food was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not the best waiterDevoteeDined on 5/9/2014I have eaten at Dakota's many many times and have been impressed with the food and the wait staff. This waiter this last time was not the best, however. He started by interrupting our conversation - a pet peeve of mine with waiters. Then I asked that my soup be brought with my entree. Apparently this was just not possible, although he apologized for it (interrupting again). This was an anomaly for this usually great all the way around restaurant.Special Features:
- NolafoodieDined on 5/5/2014The food was fantastic. Waiters attentive but not intrusive. Wonderful surprise of a delicious banana split for our anniversary. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- while in Covington,LadakotaboyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Saturday night dinner...we had a very enjoyable dinner ... service was a bit slow, but made up for with friendly overall effort , ambiance+ quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Arrived on time, restaurant empty other than 2 people. Waiter very nice, informed bus staff had left. Ordered drinks, waiter came back and took order. Drinks arrived same time as salad/ appt. entrees served before salad finished. Obvious they wanted to get out of there. We were so rushed we asked that the remainder of entrees be boxed with desert to go. Salmon was not good and beef over done. Has been our fav restaurant in past.
- Dakotas for Easter 2014BrenDined on 4/20/2014The food the absolutely fantastic, and Mark the waiter, could not have been more friendly and attentive with his services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad Easter BunnyFoodieDined on 4/20/2014We looked forward to a relaxing atmosphere - great food for Easter Brunch. Food was well presented but slow coming. We understand Easter is a special occasion (and would be busy) but we were not treated special at all. The service was the problem. Totally inattentive and we had to beg for drink refills, more bread to keep us from feeling like we would wait for our entrees forever, etc. Our wait person must have been new to the job because he was nervous and confused and did not ask if we needed anything or how everything was when the food did arrive. We expected a 4 star restaurant with great service. We received a 3 star meal with a 1 star server. The restaurant is upscale but needs the staff to match. Very expensive $$$$$ lesson I guess.
- DakotaKpcmjcDined on 4/5/2014The service was outstanding, coordination for the flow of food was perfect. My family has had both good and bad experiences here, this was most certainly the best so far!Special Features:
- Fine Dining at its BestHarlieMomDined on 4/4/2014Took my son and his fiancé to Dakota's for his birthday dinner. He had never been and chose the restaurant based on reviews. Robert was our waiter and service was excellent. Chargrilled oysters and lamb nachos were delicious. Son's fiancé had the tuna and thought it was delicious. We had a very leisurely dinner, were not rushed and thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambience. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dakota is a bit expensiveLeo2Dined on 3/25/2014Dakota is a bit expensive but well worth it. We went their for our anniversary and as usual were delighted. It is our go to place for special occassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our night out was good4MomDined on 3/24/2014It's a good place. Everything was great except, for some reason there was an akwardly long time between our starter and entree. Quick turn on everyting else including dessert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Taste of the TownBubbles86Dined on 3/15/2014Neither my wife nor I are picky eaters, so we always have the chef's tasting whenever possible. It's not on the menu, but the chef's tasting is worth every penny and your palate will be excited with every course and every bite. It was absolutely a fantastic tasting/dining experience from start to finish. We even asked to speak to the chef so we could personally thank him for such an exquisite experience. This isn't the first time we have had the chef's tasting at this restaurant and everytime it has left us wanting to experience it again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experoencedraytonDined on 3/15/2014We always look forward to the delicious crab and brie soup. We celebrated my wife's birthday and it was everything we expected. This is a class restaurant -- the best on the north shoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening to remember. SinceWYEATVDined on 3/5/2014An evening to remember. Since it opened Dakota remains one of our top white table cloth choices in all of New Orleans. From the Crab and Brie Soup to the sautéed Red Snapper with Andoullie creme the food nearly ate itself. Our friend Robert took amazing care of us and saw to every last detail. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceNOLAJennyDined on 2/20/2014My husband and I came here to celebrate a special occasion. The staff provides the perfect level of service - always there when we needed them but never hovering. Great food, amazing wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.