1010 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dakotacooks.com/
- Phone: (612) 332-1010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kristin Tyborski & Derik Moran
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: There is no better place to celebrate a special occasion or to entertain important guest, then the Dakota. Throughout our space you can hear world class music or visually incorporate it into your event. The event menus are specially created by our Chef team to take full advantage of the finest seasonal ingredients. Our private dining rooms accommodate groups up to 35; our main dining room will hold up to 72 and our mezzanine (62) and club (90) are also available for private events. To inquire or to reserve, please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Doermann 6123321010x723
- Cross Street: 10th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Safe and convenient parking is across 10th Street in Public Ramp. It is only $5 anytime after 4 PM. Entrance is on LaSalle Ave. between 10th St. and 9th St. (closest to 10th St.). Target store logo is over ramp entrance. Use "Public Parking" option in ramp. Take the elevator in ramp to street level or skyway level and cross 10th St. on street level or skyway level. The Dakota entrance is easily visible from skyway entrance. Many other parking options are nearby.
A word from Dakota
Entering its third decade, the Dakota has long been a favorite of jazz legends as well as patrons who savor the best of both art forms, the virtuosity of kitchen and bandstand. You can eat in the dining room and enjoy music second-hand from the adjacent club room; but you can also enjoy the music in the intimate club while making selections from either the bar or dining room menu—the best of both worlds. Patrons must note that online reservations through OpenTable apply to the dining room only. For show information and club reservations please call.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dakota reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (9)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (6)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (5)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Lunch Service DiscontinuedOpenTableStupidNicknameVIPDined on 10/24/2014Very sad that lunch service is being discontinued at the Dakota. This is a very good restaurant that happens to have a jazz club (and not the other way around). Highly recommended... chefs specials are interesting and innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da1960veDined on 10/9/2014A chance to hear some of your favorite music artists and some great talent in a close-up personal setting. A comfortable crowd of jazz followers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014We had a business meeting and it was the perfect setting, quiet with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GS50Dined on 9/20/2014music was outstanding and nice service provided; there's a unique place where to listent Jazz or a similar type of music; appreciate it. thanks also for the good organization regarding reservation, time and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good musicSnowyDined on 9/20/2014Nice friendly environment for God jazz music and even better food. Nice and interesting menu, good wine list. Cold coffee and erratic service attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb combination of food & musicbillsanfranciscoDined on 9/19/2014No need to stop elsewhere before the show. The food is as good as any as is the music. Great to have this combination in one spot. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great music and foodnsd1VIPDined on 9/4/2014The Dakota is the place to enjoy Twin Cities music with creative excellent food.Special Features:
- Music yes, Food hmmm...ScootsDined on 8/27/2014For a concert venue, it's pretty great. Acoustics, sightlines, proximity are all dandy. If you're eating, bring the spare wallet as it adds up quickly.Special Features:
- Over the topPeteDined on 8/24/2014We had a duck dish that was the special and everything about it was over the top! Including the gnocchi and pea pods. We saw Trace Bunde and he put on a great show. Everything about it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateallfoodizgoodDined on 8/16/2014Fantastic atmosphere, cheerful and helpful waitstaff, accommodated our early arrival.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't recommend for lunch!BirthdayblahDined on 8/4/2014Probably a better spot for late night with jazz. Lunch was just so-so, had the black bean burger, was just ok. Pasta only had a few pieces of chicken in it. The place was sparce with only 2 tables with guests. Atmosphere was meh that time of day. Our service was outstanding however, just wouldn't recommend for a lunch spot. We took my mother there for a birthday lunch and we were disappointed with the food, but didn't want to say anything to spoil the celebration.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!GoldyDined on 8/2/2014The ambiance, staff and food were all great. We had a great time and would recommend Dakota to friends. We will be coming back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/29/2014I was a little surprised when I was charged for the bread they brought to my table. Other than that the food was good.
- tubamantubamanDined on 7/23/2014My family from SC enjoyed the food and the music while there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 549 reviews are from the Dakota reviews archive.
- The Dakota isn't just for jazz!vbugs407Dined on 7/16/2014I came here for a casual business lunch. The food and staff were great, and service was quick. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the summer day. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Lousy Food, Great MusicEddieWDined on 7/4/2014Fish sandwich was slimy and not at all crisp. Fries were small as though taken from the bottom of the pile. Salad was soggy but OK. The music was unbelievably good.Special Features:
- MattieVIPDined on 6/23/2014Went to hear tommy lieberman and he was wonderful Our dinner ok but the steaks weren't as good as we desired Our waiter very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014I was just here for an event and saw the famous Patty Peterson perform. Overall it was a great night and would come back to Dakota againSpecial Features:
- The Dakota still has pazzazAndrew9Dined on 5/17/2014I recently went to the Dakota for a special occasion and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the service and the food. Despite the Dakota having been around Minneapolis a long time it's not worn out its welcome. A great wine list, knowledgeable wait staff and very good food made gor a wonderful night out. And the jazz wasn't half bad either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very dissapointed.DGILBDined on 3/16/2014I was at Dakota for a special occasion - a birthday dinner for my girlfriend and going away dinner for me. However, this experience was terrible. We were effectively treated like second class citizens. Our server ignored us all night long, while providing excellent service to other tables. After taking our drink and meal order, our server never spoke to us again until he brought us a dessert menu - meaning we couldn't order bread, or another drink , or anything. We were ignored and another server actually ended up helping us out. Then to top it off, they screwed up on the bill. They added things that we hadn't ordered, and took off the wrong amount of my gift card, overcharging by $30. Being treated so poorly ruined the evening.
- Just right dining experienceTomFDined on 3/1/2014We chose to be in the dining room rather than the music venue as we we're not staying after dinner and did not want to pay the cover charge. We really liked the "plate" options -- smaller servings. The food was wonderful (sirloin strip and baked sole) as was the service. We have probably had three or four dinners here and have enjoyed them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-concert spotsvenskatjejVIPDined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed a tasty dinner before heading to Orchestra Hall. Next time we'll stay to hear the great music at Dakota!Special Features:
- Top Notch Food & ServicefoodfanDined on 2/1/2014Great atmosphere for a date night! A little pricey with the cover charge but WORTH EVERY DIME. The food and service exceeded expectations. The music was bonus (a sold out show yet the place never felt overcrowded). Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first datereinerDined on 1/31/2014I had a first date comming up, and needed an activity. I googled ( entertainment in minniapolis ) and found ( The Dakota ) I heard of it before, and it was great. Dennis Spears was playing that night, and what a show. She will not forget our first date nor will I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!VickDined on 1/11/2014Food, drinks, service and music were all fantastic. An exceptional venue to celebrate a special occasion, or just for a great night on the town. The crab cakes and sea bass with cabbage rolls were tasty. We truly enjoyed our night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014Love the atmosphere and the service. Great music for a relaxing Friday night. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dakota provides a great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/10/2014Great food. Nice portions. Wonderful music. Interesting drinks. The Dakota provides a great evening. The staff is professional and knowledgeable. The named cocktails bring unusual flavors together. 'Your Cheatin' Heart' was fruity and potent. 'Silky Girl' brought out jazzy citrus flavors. Of course, the music is the reason for going to the Dakota (thank you Debbie Duncan), but the food and drink are first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super menuLAALZDined on 1/1/2014We had a truly great meal--great New Year's Day celebration. But why was there a country/bluegrass band playing in a jazz club? Could really have done without that.Special Features:
- A notable experience at the Dakota.foodie4lifeDined on 12/20/2013As a first-timer guest I wasn't entirely sure what to think before walking into this comfortably inviting yet contemporarily organized restaurant and jazz club. The stage seemed to be an added feature giving way from the bar, allocating attention almost immediately to when the performers would take stride onto stage, in our case Davina and the Vagabonds, the music provided a perfect, almost harmonious ambiance to their artistic and savory menu while enjoying the company of friends, family or other. If you're looking for an enjoyable experience where a preformers showmanship and culinary adventure intertwine for an unforgettable dining experience look no farther.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallGregDined on 12/1/2013Seating isn't optimal, tables are bunched together such that you sit closer to your neighbor than your date. Seeing the musicians requires turning your head until your neck hurts. I'm not trying to nitpick, the layout really needs to be improved. All that said - the music was great, the food was great, and the service was exceptional. We'll go back, but only if we can choose one of the handful of tables that won't annoy the heck out of us.Special Features:
- Irish guyAnnieDined on 12/1/2013We usually come for the music which is outstanding. but the food is always excellent as well. Hence this is a real gem for an evening enjoyment.Special Features:
- Davina made my Thxgiving!beavelaDined on 11/28/2013We took our parents to the Dakota for Davina and the Vagabonds. We arrived at 5:45, had some drinks and appetizers and eventually ordered our entrees right in time for the band to start. The band was excellent, service was great and the food very good. The Dakota was perfect for Thxgiving. Enough time to talk until the band started and no room for uncomfortable political conversations. My 80-year old parents were completely transfixed with the food, Davina and the ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food for theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Disappointing food for the price. Called to request a table with a view of the stage, and got seated with another couple that we didn't know. Then when the Jazz started we couldn't see the stage because the couple that were seated with us turned there chairs and completely blocked our view. Paid $20/ person for basically an obstructed view. I expected a fun night out with my husband, away from the kids, and then felt like I couldn't even talk to him because of the awkwardness of the seating arrangements. Very disappointed. The best thing about the night was the Jazz. Would reccomebd going to listen to that and have a drink. Food was very expensive and not very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark in the loftHaapiDined on 11/15/2013Food tasted great, and we had a great view of the band. When the band began, the lights went down, and we really couldn't see our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2013Perfect for workweek lunch. Get you and and out within an hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Business LunchMitchVDined on 11/12/2013I ate at Dakota for a business lunch, so I didn't see the wine list, and the "Romantic" category was not applicable. The food was very good; the service was great -- attentive without being pushy, efficient and knowledgeable. I especially liked the creative non-alcoholic beverages and the offerings of salad/sandwich/soup combos. It was quiet for lunch and pleasantly crowded, which I appreciated. I look forward to returning for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAndrewDined on 11/10/2013I've heard so many things for the longest time, but never found the right time or occasion till my anniversary with my girlfriend. Needless to say, I could not have chosen a better place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday DinnerJazzey25Dined on 11/8/2013This place is a really good place to go for a romantic date. I really enjoyed myself and the food and drinks were pretty good. I would love to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2013Talented musicians paired with phenomenal food, it's a win-win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013Very poor service. I wrote a complaint letter to the manager a week ago and have not received a response back.