Dafni Greek Taverna
325 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Dafni Greek Taverna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dafnitaverna.com/
- Phone: 2123151010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dafni Greek Taverna is available to cater any of your events, from private to corporate. Contact us for more details and have our fresh Greek food in your home or office today!
A word from Dafni Greek Taverna
Dafni Taverna, conveniently located in the heart of Times Square and the theatre district, provides a dining experience reminiscent of a small village in Greece. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, from the beamed ceiling to the wood plank floor, from the exposed brick wall to the soft Greek music playing in the background. Guests enjoy the hospitality and fine home cooking that the country is famous for. The restaurant serves authentic Greek cuisine, prepared simply and deliciously, using only the freshest and purest ingredients. The menu starts with a large selection of hot and cold meze, and an array of classic salads, as well as a few innovations. Entrees include many of the traditional dishes, a selection of charcoal-grilled meats and fish, and a few intriguing additions, such as grilled quail on a bed of spinach, and braised lamb shank with hilopites (a type of pasta). Delicious, homemade baklava, galaktoboureko and rice pudding are prepared fresh daily in our kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Dafni Greek Taverna - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Dafni Greek Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (106)great for lunch (57)good for groups (42)fit for foodies (42)kid-friendly (19)special occasion (18)great for brunch (18)romantic (12)late-night find (11)notable wine list (8)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- 9/20OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Went there for the second time on Saturday and the staff couldn't have been more pleasant. The food was excellent, especially the Saganaki! I will definitely be coming back with friends any time I'm in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Being a Greek, I am always skeptical about trying a different Greek restaurant, but Dafni is certainly up there with its delicious menu. There are a lot of choices, and the food is excellent. Both my companion's and my dinners were great. The service was outstanding. The staff is very attentive and there seem to be enough of them so that your needs are quickly met. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our first but not last time at Dafni. Two of us had Greek salad, gigante beans and grilled octopus, another had grilled vegetables: all were excellent. Unfamiliar with Greek wine, we asked for advice and were rewarded with an excellent wine chosen in response to questions the waiter asked us about what kind of wine we like. All in all, a wonderful experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Dafni knows how to serve food on time and well prepared. Perfect if you are going across the street to Horizons Playhouse or the Signature Theater. Not many other options in the area.Special Features:
- indifferentKarenNYCVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great location for theater row, but food is just okay and the noise level very high
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014IT was so noisy that we could not hear ourselves think much less talk!!!!Special Features:
- gretchenVIPDined on 9/9/2014always reliably wonderful, at great value.... only drawback is noise at dinner.... tho that doesn't bother everyone!Special Features:
- Worth a visitJay5466VIPDined on 9/8/2014Our second time dining at this nicely located Times Square/Theater District restaurant. Menu is exactly what you would expect for a Greek restaurant. Portions are plentyful and nicely presented. Everything we ordered was full of flavor properly cooked. Service was good as is the atmosphere here. We will return when going for a pre-theater meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary Greek FoodBigorthoDined on 9/7/2014MEH - there are better greek restaurants in the neighborhood.
- Disappointing Greek RestaurantMargueriteDined on 9/6/2014Based on Open Table reviews, a friend and I decided to try this restaurant because we both like Greek food. At first, things seemed promising as we ordered an appetizer of beets with garlic speed, which was good. I ordered chicken souvlaki as my main course. I like chicken to be fully cooked, but this was beyond dry. The restaurant was super noisy - not at all conducive to carrying on a conversation. Worst of all, we felt rushed, with the waitress trying to clear plates before we were done, even though the restaurant was not crowded. I've eaten at many Greek (and Middle Eastern) restaurants. Unfortunately, this restaurant did not live up to my expectations.
- Great Spot before a showOshlandDined on 9/4/2014This was my second visit to Dafni. The food and service are excellent. It was a bit noisy, but it was busy on a Thurs night before a Bdway show. I would go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Pre-Theater BiteBizTravelerDined on 9/4/2014Convenient location and not a typical Times Square theme or chain restaurant. Some of our dishes were great, some not so much. Fair prices and convenient location.
- Excellent experienceGera0117Dined on 9/4/2014Very very good experience overall. Great service, food, ambience... Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rgskolVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food was quite good - both salads and various fish dishes we had. An excellent option in a neighborhood with very few choices for good food.
- Perfect pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/2/2014The perfect place for a pre-theatre lunch or dinner is Dafne, a delightful Greek restaurant in an unlikely location, in the middle of a non-descript block of 42nd street, opposite the bus station. You leave all that behind when you step inside-- it's lovely, the staff is attentive and warn. Have a nice glass of Greek wine. The food is delicious and very reasonably priced. Try the melitzanosalata and the grilled shrimp.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in the Theatre Districtmdh1Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing Greek food in the theatre district - prices are so reasonable and the portions are very large. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice restaurant with cheap prices in the times square area. We will probably go back to this restaurant whenever we are in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GofNYDined on 8/30/2014Great food, reasonably priced, and located in the middle of it all!Special Features:
- saladeaterDined on 8/27/2014The food and service was very good. Everything was very fresh and tasty. Would definitely return and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Family dinner at Dafni'sGeorgeDined on 8/23/2014I took my family of 5 to Dafni before an 8:00pm show on 8/23/14. I made the reservation a couple of days in advance – The initial reasons for picking this particular restaurant was proximity to the theater, it had good reviews, and the pricing looked reasonable. We were presently surprised with this place. The atmosphere was perfect, the food and appetizers were delicious, and the service was excellent. Although they got a bit busy toward the end and it looked like they were short handed. Overall, everyone in my family agreed that I made an excellent choice. We had a great time! We will go back next time we visit NYC (we are from the WDC area).Special Features:
- Amazing Food! Great atmosphere.TravelinJoeVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was some of the best Greek food I have had outside of Greece. Very authentic, large menu selection. Definitely a must if visiting NYC, just make sure you make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ConsistentjerryfVIPDined on 8/20/2014Been here many times. The good and service always excellent. Had the Greek salad. Ask for the mustard dressing. So delicious and so big! Entree was my favorite, the whole lavroki fish filet with the lemon rosemary potatoes, and the escarole. It's grilled to perfection!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but loudRlxxDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food, good service. Quite noisy (from conversations) at weekday brunch - probably because high ceiling doesn't absorb sound well enough .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico2FoodiesDined on 8/13/2014On our first trip to New York, my daughter found this restaurant online. What a fantastic choice she made. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was spectacular. Spanakopita is a must. Definitely a place we will return to. We already recommended the place to our friends who were in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ver good dinnerDMSGOBLUEVIPDined on 8/12/2014The octopus was excellent. A very large appetizer portion, tender and perfectly charred. One if my favorite foods done really well. A reasonable and delicious ore theatre restaurantSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014We were glad that they offered vegetarian choices. The service was quick and efficient.Special Features:
- My favorite NYC restaurantTrippingMADined on 8/9/2014We always plan a dinner here whenever we're in NYC. Really good Greek food, and very inexpensive for a NYC restaurant. Always great staff too. Only problem is the room acoustics makes it rather noisy, even with a small number of diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place in Theater Districtlirav3351Dined on 8/9/2014Sought a restaurant convenient to second stage theater and found Dafni. The food was outstanding and the service excellent. It's a short walk to theaters.Special Features:
- Just perfectPalmbreezDined on 8/6/2014What a wonderful pre-matinee lunch we had on Wednesday. The food was beyond our expectations. The only problem was deciding what to get. The beet app with the creamy garlic purée is something I'd go out of my way to have again. Our waitress was lovely and serviced us excellently. She suggested the Greek beer which was a perfect compliment to the meal. Location was perfect and overall Dafni will surely see us again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SurpriseRojasNYCDined on 8/5/2014Very nice to find this type of place in a neighborhood more well known for immense, flashy restaurants. Solid food, good and knowledgeable servers. Nice atmosphere. Would absolutely dine there again when in the Times Square area.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceMAS2013VIPDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful food and great service, warm environmentSpecial Features:
- Nice findJamesDined on 8/2/2014The food at dafni is very good. It has a warm mellow atmosphere with wonderful service. Everything is very good, just skip dessertSpecial Features:
- Wonderful PlaceJoyfuldinerDined on 8/2/2014I love this place. Have never had a bad meal. My favorite is the salad with dill.Special Features:
- Fantastic findBappoDined on 7/31/2014Dafni is such a great find in a neighborhood usually associated with bad overpriced food and tourist traps. Totally attentive service and wonderful fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dafni is a great value.BlitDined on 7/30/2014Located centrally to most of the theater district and just across from the Port Authority Terminal, one would expect a fine dining establishment to be somewhat pricey, but that is not the case here. Our server was good (attentive, knowledgeable and not pushy) and the dishes we sampled were tasty. I recommend ordering tapis style to partake in the many delicious appetizers as well as main entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre Theatre on west 42nd stArtnutDined on 7/30/2014Very nice atmosphere with medium priced varied menu. Perfect dinner location amidst fast food chains when going Theatre Row or Times Square showsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh food in times squaresobepsychVIPDined on 7/27/2014good greek food in the very bustling congested area of nyc. quiet inside. good food. could use a few more inventive dishesSpecial Features:
- Great Pre-Theatre DinnerDinerfromCTDined on 7/27/2014Have enjoyed several lunches and dinners at Dafni usually pre or post-theatre. The food is consistently very good and reasonably-priced. The gyro sandwich is a favorite and even the fries are excellent. There was a little confusion with our order on my last visit, and I was impressed that the waiter brought us a dessert compliments of the house.Special Features:
- It's the food!jerryfVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our regular Greek restaurant. We've tried others, but we like what we eat here the best. The grilled lavraki is the best. Huge portion with roasted lemon potatos and escarole. A big Greek salad with mustard dressing, easily shared. On other occasions we've had the lamb kabob and the shrimp over rice, also excellent. Not a pretty place, but not ugly either. We come to eat, and there is plenty that is great.Special Features:
- Great servicePilypilyDined on 7/26/2014Really good Greek food, beautiful and friendly place, we tried their beer and liked it very much too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff and serviceapr24Dined on 7/24/2014No matter how busy this restaurant is, the service/staff is always excellentSpecial Features: