Dafni Greek Taverna
325 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Dafni Greek Taverna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dafnitaverna.com/
- Phone: 2123151010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dafni Greek Taverna is available to cater any of your events, from private to corporate. Contact us for more details and have our fresh Greek food in your home or office today!
A word from Dafni Greek Taverna
Dafni Taverna, conveniently located in the heart of Times Square and the theatre district, provides a dining experience reminiscent of a small village in Greece. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, from the beamed ceiling to the wood plank floor, from the exposed brick wall to the soft Greek music playing in the background. Guests enjoy the hospitality and fine home cooking that the country is famous for. The restaurant serves authentic Greek cuisine, prepared simply and deliciously, using only the freshest and purest ingredients. The menu starts with a large selection of hot and cold meze, and an array of classic salads, as well as a few innovations. Entrees include many of the traditional dishes, a selection of charcoal-grilled meats and fish, and a few intriguing additions, such as grilled quail on a bed of spinach, and braised lamb shank with hilopites (a type of pasta). Delicious, homemade baklava, galaktoboureko and rice pudding are prepared fresh daily in our kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Dafni Greek Taverna - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Dafni Greek Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (109)great for lunch (55)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (40)kid-friendly (20)special occasion (17)great for brunch (17)romantic (14)notable wine list (8)late-night find (8)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great!GofNYDined on 8/30/2014Great food, reasonably priced, and located in the middle of it all!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/27/2014The food and service was very good. Everything was very fresh and tasty. Would definitely return and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Family dinner at Dafni'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I took my family of 5 to Dafni before an 8:00pm show on 8/23/14. I made the reservation a couple of days in advance – The initial reasons for picking this particular restaurant was proximity to the theater, it had good reviews, and the pricing looked reasonable. We were presently surprised with this place. The atmosphere was perfect, the food and appetizers were delicious, and the service was excellent. Although they got a bit busy toward the end and it looked like they were short handed. Overall, everyone in my family agreed that I made an excellent choice. We had a great time! We will go back next time we visit NYC (we are from the WDC area).Special Features:
- Amazing Food! Great atmosphere.TravelinJoeVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was some of the best Greek food I have had outside of Greece. Very authentic, large menu selection. Definitely a must if visiting NYC, just make sure you make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ConsistentjerryfVIPDined on 8/20/2014Been here many times. The good and service always excellent. Had the Greek salad. Ask for the mustard dressing. So delicious and so big! Entree was my favorite, the whole lavroki fish filet with the lemon rosemary potatoes, and the escarole. It's grilled to perfection!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but loudRlxxDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food, good service. Quite noisy (from conversations) at weekday brunch - probably because high ceiling doesn't absorb sound well enough .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico2FoodiesDined on 8/13/2014On our first trip to New York, my daughter found this restaurant online. What a fantastic choice she made. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was spectacular. Spanakopita is a must. Definitely a place we will return to. We already recommended the place to our friends who were in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ver good dinnerDMSGOBLUEVIPDined on 8/12/2014The octopus was excellent. A very large appetizer portion, tender and perfectly charred. One if my favorite foods done really well. A reasonable and delicious ore theatre restaurantSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014We were glad that they offered vegetarian choices. The service was quick and efficient.Special Features:
- My favorite NYC restaurantTrippingMADined on 8/9/2014We always plan a dinner here whenever we're in NYC. Really good Greek food, and very inexpensive for a NYC restaurant. Always great staff too. Only problem is the room acoustics makes it rather noisy, even with a small number of diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place in Theater Districtlirav3351Dined on 8/9/2014Sought a restaurant convenient to second stage theater and found Dafni. The food was outstanding and the service excellent. It's a short walk to theaters.Special Features:
- Just perfectPalmbreezDined on 8/6/2014What a wonderful pre-matinee lunch we had on Wednesday. The food was beyond our expectations. The only problem was deciding what to get. The beet app with the creamy garlic purée is something I'd go out of my way to have again. Our waitress was lovely and serviced us excellently. She suggested the Greek beer which was a perfect compliment to the meal. Location was perfect and overall Dafni will surely see us again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SurpriseRojasNYCDined on 8/5/2014Very nice to find this type of place in a neighborhood more well known for immense, flashy restaurants. Solid food, good and knowledgeable servers. Nice atmosphere. Would absolutely dine there again when in the Times Square area.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceMAS2013VIPDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful food and great service, warm environmentSpecial Features:
- Nice findJamesDined on 8/2/2014The food at dafni is very good. It has a warm mellow atmosphere with wonderful service. Everything is very good, just skip dessertSpecial Features:
- Wonderful PlaceJoyfuldinerDined on 8/2/2014I love this place. Have never had a bad meal. My favorite is the salad with dill.Special Features:
- Fantastic findBappoDined on 7/31/2014Dafni is such a great find in a neighborhood usually associated with bad overpriced food and tourist traps. Totally attentive service and wonderful fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dafni is a great value.BlitDined on 7/30/2014Located centrally to most of the theater district and just across from the Port Authority Terminal, one would expect a fine dining establishment to be somewhat pricey, but that is not the case here. Our server was good (attentive, knowledgeable and not pushy) and the dishes we sampled were tasty. I recommend ordering tapis style to partake in the many delicious appetizers as well as main entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre Theatre on west 42nd stArtnutDined on 7/30/2014Very nice atmosphere with medium priced varied menu. Perfect dinner location amidst fast food chains when going Theatre Row or Times Square showsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh food in times squaresobepsychVIPDined on 7/27/2014good greek food in the very bustling congested area of nyc. quiet inside. good food. could use a few more inventive dishesSpecial Features:
- Great Pre-Theatre DinnerDinerfromCTDined on 7/27/2014Have enjoyed several lunches and dinners at Dafni usually pre or post-theatre. The food is consistently very good and reasonably-priced. The gyro sandwich is a favorite and even the fries are excellent. There was a little confusion with our order on my last visit, and I was impressed that the waiter brought us a dessert compliments of the house.Special Features:
- It's the food!jerryfVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our regular Greek restaurant. We've tried others, but we like what we eat here the best. The grilled lavraki is the best. Huge portion with roasted lemon potatos and escarole. A big Greek salad with mustard dressing, easily shared. On other occasions we've had the lamb kabob and the shrimp over rice, also excellent. Not a pretty place, but not ugly either. We come to eat, and there is plenty that is great.Special Features:
- Great servicePilypilyDined on 7/26/2014Really good Greek food, beautiful and friendly place, we tried their beer and liked it very much too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff and serviceapr24Dined on 7/24/2014No matter how busy this restaurant is, the service/staff is always excellentSpecial Features:
- location location locationGogoDined on 7/23/2014I picked this place because I have always seen it from my jitney bus to NJ. Boy was I surprised when it was a really good place. I cannot wait to go back. :-) Great place to grab a bite then a bus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Noisy & CrowdedjdlkVIPDined on 7/22/2014I've been coming here for a while. The food is wonderful with large portions and attentive wait staff and nice wines. I never feel rushed. Unfortunately as more people have discovered this "neighborhood gem" it has become increasingly crowded with people packed into small tables (I was there recently at 6pm on a Tuesday & it was jammed!)--and extremely noisy. I tend to leave with a strained voice from trying to make myself heard by my dining companion. It was a lot nicer before it was "discovered". However it's so convenient and so good I'll probably keep going.Special Features:
- Excellent But For NoiseUrsinionDined on 7/22/2014The premises to which we were warmly welcomed when our party arrived at 5 o'clock on a Tuesday night were gracious but marred by music needlessly loud, though not obtrusive. Service was prompt and pleasant. The eggplant appetizer proved truly superb, and the entrées excellent. Portions were generous and extra pita ours for the asking. But as the other tables filled, noise from talking and clinking grew louder and louder, and we strained to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Location, Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014The location is great if you're looking for an off the beaten path eatery near the theatre district. Good menu and pricing affordable, too. Only negative is the noise level. I had to shout at my friends at the table due to the noise level in the room. Once the restaurant is filled, be ready to use sign language to communicate, or shout at your fellow diners. But if you're just in it for a quick bite before a show, it's a good selection.
- loved it!LisaDined on 7/19/2014The food was delicious and fresh - the selection amazing. Close to theaters but is not a tourist trap. I am PICKY but would definitely recommend or return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a welcome return visit to our favorite NY Greek restaurant. The service is always attentive and kind. The food is outstanding. Not too much oil, lots of flavor, generous portions. And they REALLY know how to prepare fish. We love it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SurpriseeatsalotDined on 7/19/2014Needed to eat in the area and found Dafni. I admit I've passed it many times but never gave it a thought. Tried it and will definitely return. Saturday brunch - dips and omelets were excellent. Can't wait to try dinner.Special Features:
- Pre-TheaterShakesVIPDined on 7/18/2014A reliable and relatively inexpensive dinner on 42nd Street in the theater district. Friends had recommended this restaurant, and we were very pleased. Appetizers and entrees served in large portions by a pleasant wait staff. Ordered grilled calamari and grilled octopus apps, along with a Mesanatolitiki (Middastern) salad with grilled chicken. We will be back.Special Features:
- Local findcrystalDined on 7/18/2014I've been to Dafni once before and really enjoyed the food. The appetizers are tasty (although no hummus!), the entrees are varied and reasonably priced. The wine list is limited and mostly Greek, but they do have a selection of beers. It is just outside the major chaos of times square but a great place if planning to do sightseeing in midtown. The one major downer was no air conditioning. It was about 80 degrees; don't know if it was broken, or there just isn't any air conditioning, but it was stuffy!Special Features:
- If you love Greek food eat here.Shap23Dined on 7/15/2014No other Greek restaurant in Manhattan turns out authentic Greek food at moderate prices, this delicious. Even my first generation Greek American friend raved! Don't miss the Spanakopita as well as the wonderful, nicely priced, Greek wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 7/15/2014I enjoy coming here when I am in the neighborhood because of the terrific menu, delicious food, pleasant wines, fair prices and generous prices besides friendly staff. All in all, a great formula.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great greekdininghealth1VIPDined on 7/14/2014There are not too many greek restaurants that I enjoy, but Dafni is one of them. We all enjoyed the food and the service was quick since we had to make a show. Great restaurant if you are going to the theatre. I had chicken on skewers, which was delicious. The greek salad was large enough to feed the 4 of us. I would recommend Dafni if you enjoy authentic greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old ReliableJoanVIPDined on 7/13/2014You can count on the food to be always fresh and good. The service is friendly and efficient and Dafni is so convenient to the nearby theaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy camperfoodieDined on 7/10/2014good food and great service, but exceedingly noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near theatre district.HappyDined on 7/9/2014Very good Greek cuisine. Super convenient to Port Of Authority which makes it especially good for those bussing into the city to catch a show. Wine list a little high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pre theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Wonderful authentic Greek food . Fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.