Dafni Greek Taverna
325 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Dafni Greek Taverna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dafnitaverna.com/
- Phone: (212) 315-1010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dafni Greek Taverna is available to cater any of your events, from private to corporate. Contact us for more details and have our fresh Greek food in your home or office today!
A word from Dafni Greek Taverna
Dafni Taverna, conveniently located in the heart of Times Square and the theatre district, provides a dining experience reminiscent of a small village in Greece. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, from the beamed ceiling to the wood plank floor, from the exposed brick wall to the soft Greek music playing in the background. Guests enjoy the hospitality and fine home cooking that the country is famous for. The restaurant serves authentic Greek cuisine, prepared simply and deliciously, using only the freshest and purest ingredients. The menu starts with a large selection of hot and cold meze, and an array of classic salads, as well as a few innovations. Entrees include many of the traditional dishes, a selection of charcoal-grilled meats and fish, and a few intriguing additions, such as grilled quail on a bed of spinach, and braised lamb shank with hilopites (a type of pasta). Delicious, homemade baklava, galaktoboureko and rice pudding are prepared fresh daily in our kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dafni Greek Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (112)great for lunch (53)fit for foodies (48)good for groups (46)special occasion (14)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (12)late-night find (10)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Great restaurant, off the beaten path. It was an intimate setting in the heart of a bustling city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodHarryVIPDined on 11/19/2014We have been to Dafni may times, for lunch, brunch, and dinner. The food is very good, and the service is always efficient and accommodating. We recommend this to friends regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food different, but interestingReenaVIPDined on 11/19/2014More noisy than comfortable. We should have ordered a round table. We all did enjoy the food and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek For us!AnnieDined on 11/16/2014My husband is Greek so his opinion counts! We had lunch at Dafni with friends and everyone loved the avgolemono soup, salads, appetizers and gyros. The service was excellent and the place was crowded. Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/16/2014A great inexpensive place for good Greek Food. The spanakopita was delicious as was as the chicken kabob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Arrived early. Was seated at the bar where the bar tender recommended a nice wine to start the evening. He then took care of getting us seated right away. From there the service continued to be excellent. The waitress made recommendations that were spot on. Had a lovely evening that was special for my partners birthday. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for before the theaterenjoytimeDined on 11/14/2014This is a restaurant close to Broadway theaters and it provides reasonably priced food. The food is nothing special. Similar to some Greek diners in the City. Nonetheless, it fits the bill for a quick bite before the theater at a reasonable cost.
- Good enough for pre-theatercyblumeDined on 11/14/2014This place had a very good wait staff but the noise level is very loud &, at the end of my meal, I found pin bones in my fish. I'd come again for the convenient location to the theater but it won't be a favorite.Special Features:
- Great Find on 42nd Street!CamiDined on 11/11/2014Once again we had a wonderful dinner experience at Dafni Greek Taverna. The location and prices are great, especially for those visiting the Times Square area. Tables for 2, 4 or more and spaced far enough apart that it works for a quiet dinner for 2 as well as for a festive occasion for more. Friendly attentive service, delicious food, and a great choice to recommend to people looking for an affordable, welcoming restaurant close to the theater district. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Mixed bagFoodie4lifeDined on 11/10/2014Felt like home cookin'. Good food but not elegant or sophisticated.....boyfriend liked the 3 assorted meat platter very much. Attentive and fast but did feel a little rushed as they brought out our meals as we were finishing up appetizers. Not sure I would go back so soon.Special Features:
- Hidden Greek Gem - Theater DistrictLyndaEDined on 11/9/2014Went there recently before a show on the same street. While the accoustics were a bit noisy, the quality food and service made up for it. I had the eggplant for an appetizer, which was quite tasty. For main course, had the romaine/scallion salad with grilled chicken, which was perfectly prepared and chicken quite tasty. Shared baklava for dessert and it was the best I ever tasted. My dining companion had greek salad as entree and enjoyed it as well. The portion size were quite sufficient. I hope to find another show in that area so I can dine there again. The food left a very pleasant taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- I like Greek food.AndreaDined on 11/8/2014I like the Greek food served at Dafni because I get a chance to eat vegetarian Greek food. I ate a salad with grilled figs and the figs tasted as sweet as heaven. Just right. A great touch in a salad. The grilled zucchini fritters (appetizers) were delicious and enough to share with a dining friend. This is my third time and I will return!Special Features:
- Love Dafnimdt1111Dined on 11/8/2014Second time there -- excellent location, near Times Square but none of the craziness. Delicious food and very nice service. Will be back!Special Features:
- hsnassocVIPDined on 11/4/2014Fish was very fresh, vegetables not so much. looked like they were sitting in a big pot and just getting scooped out. Limp, soggy greens. Very loud inside but extremely convenient to theaters on 42nd street. Overall good but largely based on convenience of location.
- KingsketzVIPDined on 11/4/2014A reasonable pre-theater choice. Probably better when you share some appetizers but we were in a hurry.
- Very good dinner and servicepgscmkDined on 11/1/2014Dafni's is conveniently located by the Theater district and is a standard for us when we go to a play. The food is consistently very good, with a nice selection including vegetarian options. Our waiter was very helpful with suggesting dishes and wine, and took good care of us. If you have theater tickets, tell them and they'll be attentive to making sure you get out in time. What was especially nice is that we could carry on a conversation as the restaurant, although busy, wasn't so noisy that we couldn't hear each other. Be sure to make a reservation, it gets busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable place, theater districtUptownDinerDined on 10/31/2014We wandered into this place earlier this year when going to the theater around the corner.Although we did not have a reservation on a Saturday night, they did their best to get us seated in a reasonable time. The food was well prepared, not gourmet, but good, clean food. Fish done well. Prompt and friendly service. I have been there 3 times. It has good food, well priced, convenient to those theaters not far from the Port Authority. It's not a place where you want to linger for a quiet dinnerif you want a reliable place with good food at a good price before the theater this would be one of those places.Special Features:
- YummynetchVIPDined on 10/31/2014I've been to Daphni many times and the food is always fresh and tasty. On this visit, I had the best dish I've ever eaten there when the server suggested that It was a very nice dish and that I should try it instead of the grilled seafood and rice I often get, and which is usually good. I ordered grilled shrimp over spinach and rice (I forget the Greek name). Other than the little bit of work to unshell the shrimp myself, which was very easy, the meal was perfect. The shrimp were properly cooked and the rice/spinach base was exceptionally moist and tasty. A rather mundane but good salad accompanied the meal. My server was lovely and attentive and did not rush me despite the pre-theater hour. As always, I'll return.Special Features:
- mduffyDined on 10/30/2014Excellent variety on the menu and everything was so delicious. Great service, fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!!buddiesVIPDined on 10/29/2014We took my daughter here for her birthday, having never been to Dafni, we were skeptical....but what a great find this restaurant is. The food was wonderful, plentiful and prepared fresh and hot. We shared many different appetizers, all of us had different entrees and right thru to dessert, everything was excellent. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone without a seconds hesitation. Wish it were closer to our home in Long IslandSpecial Features:
- DafniCarolDined on 10/29/2014The food and service were great! The noise level was high, but it was warm outside and the front doors were open. It was also filled to capacity at lunchtime. It is located in the theater district, which proved it to be an excellent choice to see the show, BEAUTIFUL.!Special Features:
- alapizDined on 10/28/2014Very good restaurante, not for kids. Service and food are great.Special Features:
- New theatre district restonacinomDined on 10/24/2014If you like Greek food you'll love this place and if you don't, there are great options as you test the waters! Our server, Andres, was very attentive and friendly despite being very busy. Our food was served quickly and was great quality. All in all a really good find in the theatre district, this will be my new go-to!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Gem on 42nd Street!CurlygirlDined on 10/24/2014My pre-theater go to spot. Food is delicious and you'll leave with $$ in you wallet! Be sure to make a res!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrificsam123Dined on 10/23/2014All my concerns were taken care of by wonderful service. With my wife being late and a 7 pm curtain, our waitress was not only able to get the excellent food into our mouths but had the remainder it ready for us to take with us and even make the show on time.Special Features:
- Inexpensive theater district foodFoodyehDined on 10/22/2014The noise level was deafening making it difficult to talk to the people at your table. The food was tasty and highly seasoned. It was okay.Special Features:
- SuzanneVIPDined on 10/19/2014Great find in the theater district. Moderate priced good food with a decent wine list. A favorite. For Saturday nights make reservations days in advance.Special Features:
- Our waiter was so nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Told us stories about the meaning behind some of the names of the Greek cuisine. The food was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DafniFamilyRsDined on 10/18/2014Great location and great food. The Greek salad was wonderful as were all the other dishes ordered. Polite and friendly service and warm atmosphere. Terrific value.Special Features:
- way too noisyUWSerDined on 10/17/2014We went there in a Friday night pre-theatre. It was so noisy we couldn't have a conversation at our table.
- Fabulous RestaurantWinnieDined on 10/16/2014My daughter & I visited Dafni the first night of arriving in NY. This is a real gem from the moment we stepped in the whole experience was great. Service was impeccable & the food was more than generous & mouth-wateringly delicious. Starter consisted of 3 dips with dolmades & pitta, then slow roasted lamb with rice & mixed kebab with roasted potatoes. Unfortunately both my daughter & I hit the jet lag brick wall so asked for it to be wrapped. Without making us feel guilty they very kindly did this but we would have preferred to have stayed & enjoyed the meal there. Next year we will be back & we will enjoy what is most definitely a fantastic Greek restaurant oh yes & prices are v reasonable - all in all fabulous. THANKYOU DAFNI :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large portions but lacked seasoningSparkyDined on 10/15/2014Had to wait almost 15 for reserved table. Very high noise level. Portions were very large, but both salmon and seafood specialty lacked seasoning and were rather tasteless.
- Diner78Dined on 10/9/2014Our waitress was particularly efficient and pleasant. The staff were helpful in accommodating my friend's walker.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Great Food in NYCjerryfVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food is the story here. It's noisy, crowded (pre-theater), and not too pretty, but the food is the story. Wonderful Greek salad. Ask for the mustard dressing. The grilled fish is the best in the city! We love the Lavraki with potatoes and escarole. It's grilled and charred perfectly and cooked Greek style. The portion is huge! I also like the lamb kabobs. Desserts are great too. Service is very good. Finally, the prices are better than fair. Go there.Special Features:
- iluvgreekDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant was located close to the theater district. The food and selection was very good. The waitress overheard that I was taking my daughter out for her birthday and surprised her with a slice of walnut cake with a birthday candle. It was very special and thoughtful. It really made the night special. This is my 3rd visit to Dafni's. I am never disappointed. The prices are very affordable and portions sizes are sufficient.Special Features:
- CabooseVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food and service was excellent. We were not rushed, the food was served hot. and by great waitresses.Special Features:
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014Their food is good and prepared well. It is also tasty and served in plentiful portions. This evening I had a Greek salad with grilled chicken which was really good. My friend had the Moussaka and enjoyed it. Everyone around us looked satisfied as well. The only problem is that when this place fills up, it gets very noisy and you can hardly hear the person across the table from you. Still, I'll go back when in the area because I do like their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek to MeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2014Dafni is across the street from a number of small theaters and is particularly well located for pre-theater dining. It is a bit too bright and a bit too noisy, but the food is fresh and the portions ample. Service was amiable, responsive and efficient. I dined with a friend; the table was provided with warm, fresh, supple pitas and decent olive oil, and with our dinners, a light and simple salad. We shared an excellent appetizer of grilled octopus, followed by delicious entrees of moussaka and one of lamb shank; each of us had a glass of wine. That was a generous meal for two adults at a reasonable (NYC) price of $70 (plus tip).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Gemassante1VIPDined on 10/1/2014Craving a Greek meal, we decided to try Dafni as it was close to the theatre district. While we became leary due to the adjactent storefronts and traffic across from Port Authority, we were pleasantly surprised by Dafni. Both the exterior and interior decor and design were clean, well maintained and subtle. We've now had dinner and lunch at this location, both exceding expectations. Warm pita with oil/vinegar to start. Highly recommend the grape leaves for appetizer. The meals were both flavorful and filling: gyro or spicy sausage sandwichs for lunch, moussaka and pasticio for dinner. None were disappointing in the least. If you want a delicious greek meal in the Times Square/Theatre District areas, you won't find better!Special Features:
- If you enjoy Greek food, go herePatsyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Dafni Taverna was a pleasant surprise. The outside looks dark, but it's furnished beautifully inside. We loved our food and the service was caring yet professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.