Dafni Greek Taverna
325 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Dafni Greek Taverna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dafnitaverna.com/
- Phone: 2123151010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dafni Greek Taverna is available to cater any of your events, from private to corporate. Contact us for more details and have our fresh Greek food in your home or office today!
A word from Dafni Greek Taverna
Dafni Taverna, conveniently located in the heart of Times Square and the theatre district, provides a dining experience reminiscent of a small village in Greece. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, from the beamed ceiling to the wood plank floor, from the exposed brick wall to the soft Greek music playing in the background. Guests enjoy the hospitality and fine home cooking that the country is famous for. The restaurant serves authentic Greek cuisine, prepared simply and deliciously, using only the freshest and purest ingredients. The menu starts with a large selection of hot and cold meze, and an array of classic salads, as well as a few innovations. Entrees include many of the traditional dishes, a selection of charcoal-grilled meats and fish, and a few intriguing additions, such as grilled quail on a bed of spinach, and braised lamb shank with hilopites (a type of pasta). Delicious, homemade baklava, galaktoboureko and rice pudding are prepared fresh daily in our kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Dafni Greek Taverna - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Dafni Greek Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)great for lunch (52)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (43)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (14)special occasion (12)late-night find (12)romantic (8)notable wine list (6)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Inexpensive theater district foodFoodyehDined on 10/22/2014The noise level was deafening making it difficult to talk to the people at your table. The food was tasty and highly seasoned. It was okay.Special Features:
- SuzanneVIPDined on 10/19/2014Great find in the theater district. Moderate priced good food with a decent wine list. A favorite. For Saturday nights make reservations days in advance.Special Features:
- Our waiter was so nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Told us stories about the meaning behind some of the names of the Greek cuisine. The food was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DafniFamilyRsDined on 10/18/2014Great location and great food. The Greek salad was wonderful as were all the other dishes ordered. Polite and friendly service and warm atmosphere. Terrific value.Special Features:
- way too noisyUWSerDined on 10/17/2014We went there in a Friday night pre-theatre. It was so noisy we couldn't have a conversation at our table.
- Fabulous RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014My daughter & I visited Dafni the first night of arriving in NY. This is a real gem from the moment we stepped in the whole experience was great. Service was impeccable & the food was more than generous & mouth-wateringly delicious. Starter consisted of 3 dips with dolmades & pitta, then slow roasted lamb with rice & mixed kebab with roasted potatoes. Unfortunately both my daughter & I hit the jet lag brick wall so asked for it to be wrapped. Without making us feel guilty they very kindly did this but we would have preferred to have stayed & enjoyed the meal there. Next year we will be back & we will enjoy what is most definitely a fantastic Greek restaurant oh yes & prices are v reasonable - all in all fabulous. THANKYOU DAFNI :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large portions but lacked seasoningSparkyDined on 10/15/2014Had to wait almost 15 for reserved table. Very high noise level. Portions were very large, but both salmon and seafood specialty lacked seasoning and were rather tasteless.
- Diner78Dined on 10/9/2014Our waitress was particularly efficient and pleasant. The staff were helpful in accommodating my friend's walker.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Great Food in NYCjerryfVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food is the story here. It's noisy, crowded (pre-theater), and not too pretty, but the food is the story. Wonderful Greek salad. Ask for the mustard dressing. The grilled fish is the best in the city! We love the Lavraki with potatoes and escarole. It's grilled and charred perfectly and cooked Greek style. The portion is huge! I also like the lamb kabobs. Desserts are great too. Service is very good. Finally, the prices are better than fair. Go there.Special Features:
- iluvgreekDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant was located close to the theater district. The food and selection was very good. The waitress overheard that I was taking my daughter out for her birthday and surprised her with a slice of walnut cake with a birthday candle. It was very special and thoughtful. It really made the night special. This is my 3rd visit to Dafni's. I am never disappointed. The prices are very affordable and portions sizes are sufficient.Special Features:
- CabooseVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food and service was excellent. We were not rushed, the food was served hot. and by great waitresses.Special Features:
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014Their food is good and prepared well. It is also tasty and served in plentiful portions. This evening I had a Greek salad with grilled chicken which was really good. My friend had the Moussaka and enjoyed it. Everyone around us looked satisfied as well. The only problem is that when this place fills up, it gets very noisy and you can hardly hear the person across the table from you. Still, I'll go back when in the area because I do like their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek to MeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2014Dafni is across the street from a number of small theaters and is particularly well located for pre-theater dining. It is a bit too bright and a bit too noisy, but the food is fresh and the portions ample. Service was amiable, responsive and efficient. I dined with a friend; the table was provided with warm, fresh, supple pitas and decent olive oil, and with our dinners, a light and simple salad. We shared an excellent appetizer of grilled octopus, followed by delicious entrees of moussaka and one of lamb shank; each of us had a glass of wine. That was a generous meal for two adults at a reasonable (NYC) price of $70 (plus tip).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Gemassante1Dined on 10/1/2014Craving a Greek meal, we decided to try Dafni as it was close to the theatre district. While we became leary due to the adjactent storefronts and traffic across from Port Authority, we were pleasantly surprised by Dafni. Both the exterior and interior decor and design were clean, well maintained and subtle. We've now had dinner and lunch at this location, both exceding expectations. Warm pita with oil/vinegar to start. Highly recommend the grape leaves for appetizer. The meals were both flavorful and filling: gyro or spicy sausage sandwichs for lunch, moussaka and pasticio for dinner. None were disappointing in the least. If you want a delicious greek meal in the Times Square/Theatre District areas, you won't find better!Special Features:
- If you enjoy Greek food, go herePatsyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Dafni Taverna was a pleasant surprise. The outside looks dark, but it's furnished beautifully inside. We loved our food and the service was caring yet professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Good Thing Close to TheatercanuckinbklynVIPDined on 9/30/2014The vegetables all tasted like they came from a can and the souvlaki was as tough as shoe leather. If you put your fork down for an instant someone swooped down to take your plate even if there was still food on it. All in all a very disappointing experience.
- sunshineVIPDined on 9/30/2014Always reliable for the food and drink, generous portions, fair prices and decent service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love DafniOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014We have been to Dafni many times and it is consistently good - very good food - very good service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Good, fresh food with interesting menu choices. Excellent service made pre-theater dining relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDanield528Dined on 9/24/2014Delicious Greek food, excellent and friendly service, all the classics on the menu, perfect gyro meat, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good friendly GreekLeomexDined on 9/23/2014Very nice service ans great food. Very good hot and cold appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DafniFood4thoughtDined on 9/23/2014Wonderful cute taverna, an oasis on a very busy part of 42nd St, right across from Port Authority bus terminal. Terrific Greek selections and wonderful service. Can be a bit noisy but overall a wonderful experience. Grilled octopus is good as anything I had in Greece. Whole grilled fish could not be any fresher or tastier. Overall A wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek food near Times SquareamacintyDined on 9/20/2014I always have trouble finding a non-touristy, decently priced food near Times Square...so this place is life-saving! This place has authentic Greek food as well as Greek wines. The staff there is excellent...they even asked us if we would be attending a show so we wouldn't be late. Food came out fast.Special Features:
- 9/20TyRileyDined on 9/20/2014Went there for the second time on Saturday and the staff couldn't have been more pleasant. The food was excellent, especially the Saganaki! I will definitely be coming back with friends any time I'm in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Being a Greek, I am always skeptical about trying a different Greek restaurant, but Dafni is certainly up there with its delicious menu. There are a lot of choices, and the food is excellent. Both my companion's and my dinners were great. The service was outstanding. The staff is very attentive and there seem to be enough of them so that your needs are quickly met. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our first but not last time at Dafni. Two of us had Greek salad, gigante beans and grilled octopus, another had grilled vegetables: all were excellent. Unfamiliar with Greek wine, we asked for advice and were rewarded with an excellent wine chosen in response to questions the waiter asked us about what kind of wine we like. All in all, a wonderful experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Dafni knows how to serve food on time and well prepared. Perfect if you are going across the street to Horizons Playhouse or the Signature Theater. Not many other options in the area.Special Features:
- indifferentKarenNYCVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great location for theater row, but food is just okay and the noise level very high
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014IT was so noisy that we could not hear ourselves think much less talk!!!!Special Features:
- gretchenVIPDined on 9/9/2014always reliably wonderful, at great value.... only drawback is noise at dinner.... tho that doesn't bother everyone!Special Features:
- Worth a visitJay5466VIPDined on 9/8/2014Our second time dining at this nicely located Times Square/Theater District restaurant. Menu is exactly what you would expect for a Greek restaurant. Portions are plentyful and nicely presented. Everything we ordered was full of flavor properly cooked. Service was good as is the atmosphere here. We will return when going for a pre-theater meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary Greek FoodBigorthoDined on 9/7/2014MEH - there are better greek restaurants in the neighborhood.
- Disappointing Greek RestaurantMargueriteDined on 9/6/2014Based on Open Table reviews, a friend and I decided to try this restaurant because we both like Greek food. At first, things seemed promising as we ordered an appetizer of beets with garlic speed, which was good. I ordered chicken souvlaki as my main course. I like chicken to be fully cooked, but this was beyond dry. The restaurant was super noisy - not at all conducive to carrying on a conversation. Worst of all, we felt rushed, with the waitress trying to clear plates before we were done, even though the restaurant was not crowded. I've eaten at many Greek (and Middle Eastern) restaurants. Unfortunately, this restaurant did not live up to my expectations.
- Great Spot before a showOshlandDined on 9/4/2014This was my second visit to Dafni. The food and service are excellent. It was a bit noisy, but it was busy on a Thurs night before a Bdway show. I would go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Pre-Theater BiteBizTravelerDined on 9/4/2014Convenient location and not a typical Times Square theme or chain restaurant. Some of our dishes were great, some not so much. Fair prices and convenient location.
- Excellent experienceGera0117Dined on 9/4/2014Very very good experience overall. Great service, food, ambience... Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rgskolVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food was quite good - both salads and various fish dishes we had. An excellent option in a neighborhood with very few choices for good food.
- Perfect pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/2/2014The perfect place for a pre-theatre lunch or dinner is Dafne, a delightful Greek restaurant in an unlikely location, in the middle of a non-descript block of 42nd street, opposite the bus station. You leave all that behind when you step inside-- it's lovely, the staff is attentive and warn. Have a nice glass of Greek wine. The food is delicious and very reasonably priced. Try the melitzanosalata and the grilled shrimp.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in the Theatre Districtmdh1Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing Greek food in the theatre district - prices are so reasonable and the portions are very large. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice restaurant with cheap prices in the times square area. We will probably go back to this restaurant whenever we are in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GofNYDined on 8/30/2014Great food, reasonably priced, and located in the middle of it all!Special Features: