107 W 17th St
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://daumbertonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 989-0303
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from da Umberto
One of New York's top Italian's since 1987, class remains the hallmark of the Assante family's beloved cosmopolitan ristorante- serving up delicious classic Tuscan with contemporary twists- delivered by staffers who treat all like honored guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
da Umberto reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (52)romantic (44)notable wine list (31)good for groups (16)great for lunch (13)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Frequent visitsBuddyVIPDined on 11/13/2014I eat here every time I'm in NYC. Menu is classic yet exciting. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...closes by 11 p.m.SarahHintzeVIPDined on 11/12/2014I made a 10:45 p.m. reservation following an event I was working. The service was very fast and the food was great, but I could tell everyone was rushing because they were trying to close up. I don't blame them, but would maybe choose another spot for a late dinner in the future. They don't have many wine by the glass options, but the montepulciano was solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/12/2014I've dined at Da Umberto for over 25 years....never had a meal that wasn't outstanding. Dinner last week was superior as expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellent!DannyFVIPDined on 11/11/2014havent been to Da Umberto in a couple years but other than the noticeable renovation (paint and lighting?), the quality of the food and service continues without any drop at all. Always excellent, won't be 2 yrs before I return, he'll, won't me 2 months!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food every timeGregVIPDined on 11/8/2014Everything is great and if I had to pick one fault it would be that there aren't many hot girls to look at like at Elios. Other than that it's a great place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeceptionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014Service started well. Near 1030pm, there was suddenly a desire to get tables straight. Two guys interrupted my dinner in order to place two chairs on the table. I complained to the acting manager who did not care. Food was not special.
- My favorite restaurantMAGSDined on 11/6/2014The food is heavenly. The service is exceptional, attentive and warm but never intrusive. You never feel rushed no matter how busy they are. And did I mention the food is amazing?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceemraevraVIPDined on 11/3/2014We recently moved into the neighborhood and were looking for a great Italian place......We found it! The decor and ambiance is warm and welcoming. Table spacing is very generous by NYC standards and there was an immediate sense of intimacy. The welcome from the maître di was genuine . The team serving our table were professional and accommodating. Our 6 year old was welcome by the staff and her chicken Milanese and penne were perfect. Grilled Squid and Crispy Artichoke appetizers were perfect. Main courses were equally delicious with one of the pasta dishes ( ravioli stiffed with veggies) slightly over cooked. A simple bowl of vanilla gelato and berries capped off the evening.Special Features:
- Rushed serviceaprilmayVIPDined on 11/1/2014We had an early Saturday evening reservation and from the moment we sat down, we felt rushed (there were 3 of us). We were not given a wine list by the glass, just verbally, and then were told we had to place our entire order at once. We were having 3 courses, in addition to dessert, and they wanted to serve the 2nd and 3rd course together (the pasta along w/the main entree) The waitstaff was hovering, just waiting until we finished the last bite to take away the plates. I'm sure they wanted us out so they could turn over the table for the 8pm crowd. And it's not like they were full up, there were at least 4 other empty tables when we left around 7:30pm. The food was very good, but would not return because of the service.
- Excellent pasta & very good servicemblancoDined on 10/31/2014I enjoy a lot. I will return as soon as I can. The cavatelli pasta is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodPmagVIPDined on 10/28/2014Have dined here many times. Food is consistently wonderful and the service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but >>>rinaldoVIPDined on 10/28/2014Enjoyed the food. The noise was too much and the service was very very rushed for what one would expect at a fine restaurantSpecial Features:
- Really Enjoyable ExperiencedinesterVIPDined on 10/28/2014My third visit to this restaurant. Loved both their appetizers. I had fried artichokes and calamari, which was grilled but not battered and in long pieces. The veal scallopini was one of the best I ever had. The smoked mozzarella ravioli with mushroom sauce was light and subtle. The only reason I didn't give the restaurant 5 stars is the $90 bottle of wine that was recommended was just okay and that took away from the experience.Special Features:
- Elegant lunchMJWSRVIPDined on 10/28/2014This was my first visit to da Umberto. My business guest for lunch suggested it. While it was a little on the expensive side (I was aware of this) I am glad I went. I was early, was greeted heartily and invited to sit at my table or the bar. I especially like the way I was invited in with "welcome home". The meal was very fine. The menu was extensive with a broad mix of items. I did not have the anti pasta, I opted for the arugula salad special but the choices looked good, perhaps next time. I had the fish special, I can't remember the name of the fish but it was excellent. Deboned and served with some eggplant, quite delicious. It was good place to have a conversational business meeting. Next time I am in the area I will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inedible porkOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/25/2014Most of us liked our meals, but one was nearly inedible - some kind of pork - based on the chewy dried out texture and bits of cartilage and bone, maybe a neck part. A plain white plate came with dark roasted Brussels sprouts and these "knuckles" - indistinguishable from each other - and nothing else. They looked randomly dumped on the plate and a little pitcher of "sauce" made from what seemed like bullion and corn starch was on the side. It didn't help improve a very bland, difficult to swallow dish.
- A FLAWLESS GEMBillySeaDined on 10/24/2014Although I've lived in the neighborhood for years, I never really noticed this hidden gem. Realize now that its understated elegance does not need to shout out. The moment you enter you recognize that you have stumbled upon a perfect setting for those in the know. Greeted by a charming staff you are transformed to a northern Italian paradise. As a frequent visitor to Italy, I still maintain that the food here is better and prepared with exceptional detail. The pastas are unique and flavorful, the veal melts in your mouth, the fish is perfectly prepared and so fresh that it tastes like it just came out of the ocean. Perfect ambience for a really enjoyable night out.Special Features:
- GregVIPDined on 10/22/2014Everything was great. Been there many times and great always. Just be carefule with the server trying to sell you everythingI would recommend this to a friend.
- da UmbertoWarrenDined on 10/11/20142014 10 11: ate here with Anne and Beth, who had been here before. We shared arugula salad (fine) and veal meatballs (excellent). I then had the pasta special--black squid ink ravioli stuffed with lobster and shrimp with a cognac sauce (boring, tasteless)--Anne had the grilled orata (very good), and Beth had the grilled mixed seafood (very good). We shared a tartufo. My complaint, besides my ravioli, is that they won't do a three course--appetizer, pasta course, entree course. We had planned to order a pasta dish to share and then each an entree, but they wouldn't allow it.
- Best Italian Restaurant in NYhappjackVIPDined on 10/8/2014This restaurant has served outstanding food with consistently warm & friendly service for over 25 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just incredible! Not to be missed!MikehuntVIPDined on 10/4/2014I finally had dinner here after years of walking past the restaurant. The food was extraordinary, the service knowledgeable and friendly, the decor modern and sinple. It was an extraordinary meal and my new favorite restautant. This is one of the finest Italian restaurants I have ever dined at and could not recommend it more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- revisited after yearsKashaDined on 10/3/2014Needed a place for a client lunch in West Village/Flatiron/USQ and remember Da Umberto. Hadn't been there in many years and was quite happy that the food was still very good. The place is perfect for a business lunch or meeting. Quiet enough for a conversation and staff respectful of privacy. Tucked away and a great find if you have never been there, try them!Special Features:
- the real thingNYC123Dined on 10/1/2014A truly fine restaurant -- great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner for 6sparklebeeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Been here many times and the food never disappoints. This time there were 6 of us and the waiter suggested an antipasto for the table which we went for. It was great, with mozzarella, shrimp, corn, and eggplant on everyone's dish and a plate of Italian cold cuts in the middle of the table for all to share. The ladies shared a pork chop special with hot cherry peppers that they all raved about. I had one of the pasta specials which was penne with a veal ragu. Sometimes it can me loud in this restaurant, but this night was relatively quiet and we all had an easy time hearing the conversation. We all parked on the street which you can do after 6PM and there is rarely a problem finding a spot.Special Features:
- CHIBIDined on 9/23/2014I do not need more than two words ––GREAT, spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very comfortable. Pasta was excellCeceVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great choice for a neighborhood restaurant. Setting was warm and invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnnaBVIPDined on 9/22/2014The food and service are just extraordinary. We need to come here more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerSushifeastDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated my birthday there. Food was excellent, waiter was very helpful in making food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time I was idsappoinfedneighborhoodgemDined on 9/13/2014The noise level was surprisingly high which detracted from our mealSpecial Features:
- Over ratedCobyJ2Dined on 9/10/2014I had an early reservation, but when you walk into a restaurant and feel as if it's closed...dim, low-ceiling, little space between tables, you're probably not in for the best night. Service is very good, although sitting through the nearly incomprehensible recitations of specials is bewildering. I ordered a simple salad, which was fine, and a Filet which I thought was fool proof. Nope. Tasted like it was roasted, over-seasoned, couldn't finish it. The noise level was so high we asked to be moved to a corner, which was done with much understanding and grace, but...at these prices who needs a struggle and mediocre food.
- Best restaurant in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Been here many times, the food and service combination make this our favorite restaurant in New York CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Surprise - understated gemSweetAperitifVIPDined on 9/5/2014Just moved back into the Chelsea neighborhood after living uptown for a bit and was very pleased to discover this true neighborhood gem. I'd wanted to try da Umberto since I first discovered it on OpenTable and read the glowing reviews - my husband and I were certainly not disappointed. It has an unassuming and intimate air about it (doesn't try to be 'trendy', focusing instead on delivering superior, attentive service and very tasty, perfectly-prepared food in a casual-yet-elegant atmosphere). It's quite lovely overall, very comfortable, and has a bit of the classic, old-school Italian vibe (reminded me a bit of Scalini Fedeli down in Tribeca or Lusardi's on the UES). We'll definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationGafasVIPDined on 9/2/2014The service was totally professional, yet warm and relaxed. The food was exquisitely prepared and beautifully presented. We came early on a week day, so the room was quiet and elegant. It can get a bit noisy at more popular times. We had orata (delicate and satisfying), and the ravioli was excellent. The burrata appetizer was heavenly, and we also shared the arrugula salad, which combined very well with the burrata. We ended with the peaches in champagne for a beautiful end to the summer, and a very happy anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingPmagVIPDined on 8/30/2014Visited over Labor Day weekend. Food was amazing. Service was warm and efficient. Wine list continues to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Friendly, Very Good ItalianBicoastalOmnivoreDined on 8/27/2014First trip to Da Umberto but we were welcomed like old friends and treated to highly attentive service by an amusing staff. We had the risotto (good) and the pasta with lamb sauce (very good) to begin, then the giant prawns (tasty but over-garliced) and the veal scallopine (very good but conventional) with broccoli rabe on the side. The wine list is largely Italian and high priced but we found a Tuscan wine for $100 that was excellent. At $140/pp with tax & tip but no dessert and coffee it was high but not crazy expensive. The atmosphere was adult but not stuffy and we had no trouble quietly conversing. We intend to go back, for the friendly treatment and good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!SusanVIPDined on 8/25/2014Waiting at the bar for my friends the bartender suggested an interesting while wine and he was very informative about the history of the wine and the area it came from. I had 2 specials for dinner...grilled peaches with aged prosciutto and gorgonzola and then the grilled heads on shrimp that were absolutely the best I have ever eaten anywhere. The service was perfect, the tables spaced nicely and the noise level was not loud at all. Definitely a great dinner and it made me remember why I enjoy eating out. This is definitely not a crazy scene where you can't hear yourself think. it is what dining out should be.Special Features:
- dependable and consistentwinedancerDined on 8/22/2014have been dining there for years. Food has been consistently good. Excellent service and comfortable ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friendly ServicePokey292Dined on 8/21/2014While the food is overall great, what really stood out about this place was the attentive service by the waiters and bar tender. Great place to bring a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SpecialnewjerseyguyDined on 8/20/2014Staff could not be more accommodating, wonderful menu, great food.
- Still awesone food and serviceScooterDined on 8/20/2014da Umberto continues to provide an incredible high level of service and sets the standard for food within its genre. A gem in NYC!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Simply outstanding. Should be listed as one of the best in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.