107 W 17th St
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://daumbertonyc.com/
- Phone: 212 989 0303
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from da Umberto
One of New York's top Italian's since 1987, class remains the hallmark of the Assante family's beloved cosmopolitan ristorante- serving up delicious classic Tuscan with contemporary twists- delivered by staffers who treat all like honored guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
da Umberto reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (44)romantic (34)notable wine list (23)good for groups (15)great for lunch (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- da UmbertoWarrenDined on 10/11/20142014 10 11: ate here with Anne and Beth, who had been here before. We shared arugula salad (fine) and veal meatballs (excellent). I then had the pasta special--black squid ink ravioli stuffed with lobster and shrimp with a cognac sauce (boring, tasteless)--Anne had the grilled orata (very good), and Beth had the grilled mixed seafood (very good). We shared a tartufo. My complaint, besides my ravioli, is that they won't do a three course--appetizer, pasta course, entree course. We had planned to order a pasta dish to share and then each an entree, but they wouldn't allow it.
- Best Italian Restaurant in NYhappjackVIPDined on 10/8/2014This restaurant has served outstanding food with consistently warm & friendly service for over 25 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just incredible! Not to be missed!MikehuntVIPDined on 10/4/2014I finally had dinner here after years of walking past the restaurant. The food was extraordinary, the service knowledgeable and friendly, the decor modern and sinple. It was an extraordinary meal and my new favorite restautant. This is one of the finest Italian restaurants I have ever dined at and could not recommend it more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- revisited after yearsKashaDined on 10/3/2014Needed a place for a client lunch in West Village/Flatiron/USQ and remember Da Umberto. Hadn't been there in many years and was quite happy that the food was still very good. The place is perfect for a business lunch or meeting. Quiet enough for a conversation and staff respectful of privacy. Tucked away and a great find if you have never been there, try them!Special Features:
- the real thingNYC123Dined on 10/1/2014A truly fine restaurant -- great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner for 6sparklebeeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Been here many times and the food never disappoints. This time there were 6 of us and the waiter suggested an antipasto for the table which we went for. It was great, with mozzarella, shrimp, corn, and eggplant on everyone's dish and a plate of Italian cold cuts in the middle of the table for all to share. The ladies shared a pork chop special with hot cherry peppers that they all raved about. I had one of the pasta specials which was penne with a veal ragu. Sometimes it can me loud in this restaurant, but this night was relatively quiet and we all had an easy time hearing the conversation. We all parked on the street which you can do after 6PM and there is rarely a problem finding a spot.Special Features:
- CHIBIDined on 9/23/2014I do not need more than two words ––GREAT, spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very comfortable. Pasta was excellCeceDined on 9/22/2014Great choice for a neighborhood restaurant. Setting was warm and invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnnaBVIPDined on 9/22/2014The food and service are just extraordinary. We need to come here more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerSushifeastDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated my birthday there. Food was excellent, waiter was very helpful in making food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time I was idsappoinfedneighborhoodgemDined on 9/13/2014The noise level was surprisingly high which detracted from our mealSpecial Features:
- Over ratedCobyJ2Dined on 9/10/2014I had an early reservation, but when you walk into a restaurant and feel as if it's closed...dim, low-ceiling, little space between tables, you're probably not in for the best night. Service is very good, although sitting through the nearly incomprehensible recitations of specials is bewildering. I ordered a simple salad, which was fine, and a Filet which I thought was fool proof. Nope. Tasted like it was roasted, over-seasoned, couldn't finish it. The noise level was so high we asked to be moved to a corner, which was done with much understanding and grace, but...at these prices who needs a struggle and mediocre food.
- Best restaurant in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Been here many times, the food and service combination make this our favorite restaurant in New York CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Surprise - understated gemSweetAperitifVIPDined on 9/5/2014Just moved back into the Chelsea neighborhood after living uptown for a bit and was very pleased to discover this true neighborhood gem. I'd wanted to try da Umberto since I first discovered it on OpenTable and read the glowing reviews - my husband and I were certainly not disappointed. It has an unassuming and intimate air about it (doesn't try to be 'trendy', focusing instead on delivering superior, attentive service and very tasty, perfectly-prepared food in a casual-yet-elegant atmosphere). It's quite lovely overall, very comfortable, and has a bit of the classic, old-school Italian vibe (reminded me a bit of Scalini Fedeli down in Tribeca or Lusardi's on the UES). We'll definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationGafasVIPDined on 9/2/2014The service was totally professional, yet warm and relaxed. The food was exquisitely prepared and beautifully presented. We came early on a week day, so the room was quiet and elegant. It can get a bit noisy at more popular times. We had orata (delicate and satisfying), and the ravioli was excellent. The burrata appetizer was heavenly, and we also shared the arrugula salad, which combined very well with the burrata. We ended with the peaches in champagne for a beautiful end to the summer, and a very happy anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingPmagVIPDined on 8/30/2014Visited over Labor Day weekend. Food was amazing. Service was warm and efficient. Wine list continues to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Friendly, Very Good ItalianBicoastalOmnivoreDined on 8/27/2014First trip to Da Umberto but we were welcomed like old friends and treated to highly attentive service by an amusing staff. We had the risotto (good) and the pasta with lamb sauce (very good) to begin, then the giant prawns (tasty but over-garliced) and the veal scallopine (very good but conventional) with broccoli rabe on the side. The wine list is largely Italian and high priced but we found a Tuscan wine for $100 that was excellent. At $140/pp with tax & tip but no dessert and coffee it was high but not crazy expensive. The atmosphere was adult but not stuffy and we had no trouble quietly conversing. We intend to go back, for the friendly treatment and good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!SusanVIPDined on 8/25/2014Waiting at the bar for my friends the bartender suggested an interesting while wine and he was very informative about the history of the wine and the area it came from. I had 2 specials for dinner...grilled peaches with aged prosciutto and gorgonzola and then the grilled heads on shrimp that were absolutely the best I have ever eaten anywhere. The service was perfect, the tables spaced nicely and the noise level was not loud at all. Definitely a great dinner and it made me remember why I enjoy eating out. This is definitely not a crazy scene where you can't hear yourself think. it is what dining out should be.Special Features:
- dependable and consistentwinedancerDined on 8/22/2014have been dining there for years. Food has been consistently good. Excellent service and comfortable ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friendly ServicePokey292Dined on 8/21/2014While the food is overall great, what really stood out about this place was the attentive service by the waiters and bar tender. Great place to bring a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SpecialnewjerseyguyDined on 8/20/2014Staff could not be more accommodating, wonderful menu, great food.
- Still awesone food and serviceScooterDined on 8/20/2014da Umberto continues to provide an incredible high level of service and sets the standard for food within its genre. A gem in NYC!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Simply outstanding. Should be listed as one of the best in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommendedlakesilverDined on 8/18/2014Excellent dinning experience. Just perfect. Best veal you will ever experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmmmm hmmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Hmmm hmmmm is what I hear from my friends and co-workers, when I introduce them to Da Umberto! People who are tagged as being picky about their food have no problem of being satisfied by what they order here. My friend wrote on FB "...The food was fabulous, the service perfect!!! In the great words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, " I'll be back!". Great choice ..."Special Features:
- The Best there isJohnDined on 8/13/2014Da Umberto is, hands-down, the most sophisticated, innovative and reliable Italian dining in Chelsea. The maitre'd is polished, knowledgeable and genuinely friendly. The waiters know what they are talking about, not just reciting the evening's specials. They are attentive to diners' needs. The food is simply delicious, from the complicated pastas to the simply grilled Dover sole. Every aspect of the restaurant deserves commendation. THe prices are high, but so is the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemDinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014In most other cities this might be a top 5 destination. In NYC, it is merely an excellent neighborhood destination. I might not drive across two Boroughs just to have dinner here, but the food & service is simply excellent.Special Features:
- FantasticpaulinanycVIPDined on 8/6/2014Absolutely delicious food ! I once was strolling by and had lunch there and was so impressed that I promised to remember where it was so I could return. At the time I was just moving into the neighborhood and somehow forgot this wonderful little place. I am so happy that I returned because it confirmed to me what a GREAT Italian restaurant we have and so very close to us. The Flatiron/Grammercy area doesn't have many choices for great Italian fare and this is TOP NOTCH. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that is looking for a wonderful Italian spot in this area. Great service, great food, just plain great!Special Features:
- Wonderful birthday dinnerNJgalVIPDined on 7/30/2014This was our second visit to da Umberto in a few years. The experience is remains very good. Seats at the bar were hard to come by but when we were able to sit, the bartender took great care of us , especially the birthday girl. We shared a special appetizer of soft shell crabs that was perfect. After living in Mary;and for 23 years, I feel qualified to be a fair judge of crab in general. We dined on the special cornish game hen and the special veal chop. Both were outstanding. All in all it was quite an enjoyable evening. Despite numerous other dining options in NYC, we will return a third time.Special Features:
- Go Soon and Leave Happy!!!BrianNYCDined on 7/29/2014Wonderful in every way! So good, we just came back again within a week to enjoy it again. Warm & welcoming with special dishes that can't be beat. Mille grazie! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulieDined on 7/23/2014This restaurant is hidden on a side street with no name on the building or door as far as I could see. I have een there several times and am never disappointed. There are daily specials and a great antipasto option in which you may choose from a variety of specialties. The entree specials are delightful and the main menu is full of choices, some of which are the normal Italian fare and some that are not I would call the food mostly Italian but with a continental/mediterranean flare. The service is very good but was not special. The only disappointment is that it is very expensive. Definitely a 5 $ establishment which is unwarranted for the neighborhood it is in and even for the ambience and service. Great place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy this timesparklebeeVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is one of the best restaurants in NY. For Italian, in the top 5 for sure and I have been going here over 20 years. This trip the room was especially noisy, but the antipasto appetizer was excellent as usual as was my rigatoni from the menu--cooked al dente in the most perfect way. Tiramisu for desert was only average, so next time back to the Italian Cheesecake for sure. As usual, easy to park right on the block.Special Features:
- A new go to placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2014We live on 17th Street and have walked pat Da Umberto many times. We finally tried it----what took us so long. The ambiance, the service, the food were all right up our alley. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Not outstanding, but goodCSFHDined on 6/26/2014The service was attentive and pleasant without being hovering. The food was very good, but not stellar.The noise level was comfortably quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey for Lunch, but worth it!aaronindestinDined on 6/25/2014This was my second time coming here; found it just by walking down 17th street. Would not have known about it otherwise. Food was amazing; some of the best fresh Italian I have had in NYC. Lunch prices are the same as dinner, so just be careful if you're looking for a reasonable priced lunch with colleagues. But if you want to win them over with a great meal, this place works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the da Umberto reviews archive.
- A great meal before theaterGoodiesaysDined on 6/21/2014The food and service made it enjoyable to attend a ff broadway experience.Special Features:
- I love this placeScotingDined on 6/17/2014The list of specials will be as long as your arm and each thing will sound better than the next. I've never had an average meal here; it's always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumBertoJMoney99Dined on 6/14/2014One of the best Italian Restaurants you've never heard of in NYCSpecial Features:
- Not worth the moneyMikeDined on 6/7/2014Main fish dish came raw inside. Other dishes were just OK.
- Excellent Italian RestaurantpmnyVIPDined on 6/6/2014One of the nicest dinning establishments in the city. Food and services is outstanding! Expansive wine list. On the pricey side but worth it.Special Features: