Da Tommaso NYC
903 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Da Tommaso NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.datommasony.com/
- Phone: (212) 265-1890
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
Monday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Special occasions:
private parties, meetings & corporate events
Seating capacity: 80 main dinning room, 40 private party room
Reservations: suggested (highly)
- Private Party Contact: Paul Da Tomasso 2122651890
A word from Da Tommaso NYC
Traditional Northern Italian Cuisine Served by accomodating staff at affordable prices make this your right place for dinner (or Lunch!)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Da Tommaso NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Charming restaurant with great food and serviceDinnerfor4VIPDined on 11/18/2014Thoroughly enjoyed this neighborhood gem with great service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been going to this restaurant for years!MaryDined on 11/15/2014We first discovered this restaurant at least twenty years ago. It truly pleases us to see the same wait staff there all this time. The service is impeccable and almost stealth like. All waiters in white jackets help out at all times. Being a northern Italian restaurant you feel like it's the real deal when several of those waiters have strong Italian accents; they seem to enjoy describing each special of the night. The wine has always been just right. The food has always been delicious. My only word of caution is it isn't easy to stay on your diet here. Especially love their grilled asparagus appetizer, and their homemade pastas are light and velvety. Tiramisu is generous and wonderful. Great location for anything you're doing around 53rd street area (NYC Civic Center, David Letterman show, etc.). Owner has run restaurant here for 27 years. Favorite waiter Bruno has been there ten years. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2014We were looking for a quaint little Italian restaurant and we found a gem at Da Tommasco! We orldered the Sea Bass and it was delicious... our waiter was friendly and very helpful. Also would recommend the chocolate mousse cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and ComfortablegrownupVIPDined on 11/6/2014We have been coming here for years. It's comfortable and you can always count on the food being delicious. Nothing exciting but if you are looking for a place for a relaxed tasty dinner this is the place.Special Features:
- Before the showGigiDined on 11/6/2014Found this spot on Open Table and made a reservation for two hours before the Broadway show we were to see. Easy to find, minutes away from the theater. Very tasty food, a good Chianti, and good service from Fabrizio made for a nice night out before the show. They had gluten-free pasta for one of our diners and delicious Branzini for me. Two other friends had the squid ink linguini which was excellent. We all shared the chocolate lava cake dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good italian foodKarlTDined on 11/1/2014We went there before the NYC marathon for a pasta dinner. The food was good. Sometimes it was difficult to get the attention of our server. It was very loud and somewhat crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater Restauranths3447Dined on 11/1/2014We had tickets for Cabaret and picked Da Tommaso because it was close to the theater. The restaurant was crowded which we took as a good sign. However, my wife ordered Eggplant Parmigiana at 6 pm and was told they did not have any. It's strange to see something on the menu just before the theater rush and a restaurant does not have it. Also grilled sausage and peppers was on the menu. I asked if it could be made was marinara sauce and was told it was grilled and could not be done. This has never happened to me before. The food we finally ordered was okay, but the wait staff were not very nice or accommodating. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Was a bit disappointed that although I made reservations days in advance, there was only a tiny table stuck in a corner, with the people next to us on top of us, available, otherwise we would have to wait an hour! I mentioned my reservations and the waiter/maitre'd just pointed at houw crowded the restaurant was!Special Features:
- Reliable and DeliciousJamesVIPDined on 10/28/2014This is a fine place for an unrushed pre-theater dinner. I tried all four entrees at our table and they were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best DessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014A great neighborhood Italian restaurant actually located in the theater district. Pasta dishes were good. Best ricotta cheese cake and also gelato slices dipped in dark chocolate. Nice unrushed atmosphere to have dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014We ate here for pre theatre Sunday matinee and we treated to a great 'Sunday meal'. Service was outstanding. Nice, small, comfortable place for a relaxing meal.Special Features:
- Surprisingly Delicious!cityfoodiesVIPDined on 10/11/2014We came for a pre theater dinner not expecting much and were very surprised, food was delicious and the service was terrific! our food came hot and prompt and we had plent of time to enjoy it! Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyappointmentDined on 10/7/2014Da Tommaso was great . The food was was very good and the friendly waiters made my party feel special. I would absolutely go there again .we got there late but it wasn't a problem . they acccomadated us quickly since we had tickets to see a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price PerformerNamcyDined on 10/1/2014Excellent meak at very reasonable price...convenient for theatre.Special Features:
- Old Fashioned, OverpricedLouiseDined on 9/15/2014Our meal here was very tasty. And you can order pretty much any Italian dish you've ever imagined (there are almost more "specials" they have to tell you about than items on the menu--good luck remembering any of them). This place is really old-fashioned. The space is a little dusty feeling with a front that looks like a shopping mall. The prices are set at tourist/theater-goer rip-off levels. I'm sure it is reliable and will feel comfortable and familiar to many, but I was hoping for something a little more up to date. And $21 for Spaghetti Bolognese, alone with no vegetables or salad or anything else seems really very steep. Especially since the sauce was nothing special. [The prices are higher than the menu on their website.]Special Features:
- Great service and foodDeeweeDined on 9/14/2014We've been here twice on trips from New Orleans to NYC. Very friendly owner and staff. All dishes are prepared well. We'll be back next trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da Tommaso Dinner ReviewpatmoDined on 9/11/2014My wife and I had dinner at this restaurant recently. The range of offerings was substantial with many sounding good to try. The service was good as was the food. It is one of so many Italian restaurants in NYC that needs to stand out for people to become repeat customers.Special Features:
- Its reputation misleads itFoodislifeDined on 8/28/2014Although touted as a theater area institution with authentic Italian dishes and old world service, the food was mediocre and the service abrupt and rushed. Meals at McDonalds have been more thoughtfully prepared and leisurely.
- Excellent place to eat in NYCFannyDined on 8/15/2014We went on my birthday and the place was very nice, the food and service were excellent! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodDfdinesDined on 8/5/2014Sometimes one settles for decent food when dining before or after theater. Da Tommaso offers wonderful Italian food in the Carnegie Hall/Studio 54 neighborhood.Special Features:
- The following 170 reviews are from the Da Tommaso NYC reviews archive.
- A great find!jplanetDined on 7/24/2014Went here for a pre-dinner show with parents visiting from out of town, but it was a new experience for all of us, and we were all very impressed. Being a hard-to-satisfy Italian myself, everything I ordered tasted delicious and authentic. I started with the lentil soup, which I am very fussy about, and it was outrageously good, followed by a chicken rollatini special which surpassed all expectations. Others had the pasta Amatriciana and Bolognese, all were equally good. The staff was attentive, friendly, and very professional. We all agreed that we would want to return in the future.Special Features:
- Convenient, good food, good serviceBarbaraLDined on 7/19/2014My friend and I enjoyed our meal very much. Service was good and was very efficient. The food was delicious. The ambience was traditional Italian and very pleasant. We had thought there would be a prix fixe pre-theatre menu, but there was not. Menu is quite varied and offers dishes at various price levels. We would definitely go back for a pre-theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestMaggianosDined on 7/19/2014Great food - good service - easy walk to theaters. One of our favoritesSpecial Features:
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014My second visit to this gem of a restaurant and it was just as good as the first. The food was excellent, the service warm and welcoming and we were never rushed. I will return.
- Just okaysharonVIPDined on 7/12/2014The decor is outdated, and it seems like they are trying to be fancier than they are. The service was attentive but a little pushy. The host and waiter both asked what we wanted to drink before we were given a wine list, and when we asked for one, the waiter demanded to know whether we wanted a bottle or glasses of wine. We weren't sure yet; we wanted to see the list! He then tried to get my boyfriend to order a different special than he wanted, and encouraged us to add-on appetizers and salads. I felt like I said "no thanks" about 10 times. The entrees were pretty good though, despite the bread on the table being a little dry/stale.
- disappointingjuly22Dined on 7/11/2014Not impressed. I expected a better meal. House white wine was too sweet. Fish tasted like it was reheated.
- UnbelievableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014Every time I come to NY I come to Da Tommaso and it never gets old. The food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food near theatre areadavectDined on 6/27/2014The restaurant looks a bit tired but the food is very good Italian. You cannot go wrong. Lots of old standbys and good prices and portions. Service was good. Got to theatre on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!IzziesDined on 6/24/2014Better than we expected, they were very accommodating with the menu. Our waiter was great and basically told us they could prepare just about anything we liked. A real home cooking feel to the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConvenientHerbieDined on 6/24/2014We took our granddaughters to see Wicked. Da Tomasso was right near the theater, the food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/23/2014This restaurant is a wonderful find. Went there on a Monday evening with several friends. We were warmly welcomed and the good vibes never faltered. The waiter was extremely helpful and the food--lasagna special for two of us and the seafood pasta for the other two-was delicious. We were given ample time to enjoy ourselves and never felt rushed. We will be sure to return.
- Great as always!!!TrudeDined on 6/21/2014Been eating here for years and have never been disappointed--the food is great and so is the service.Special Features:
- VeganFamilyMembersDined on 6/20/2014Fine for before theater. Meal was good, not spectacular, somewhat pricey. No complaints.
- MarlenedcVIPDined on 6/18/2014Waiter didn't inform me that I could have substituted asparagus without an extra charge of 11.50, which was a surprise when we got the bill. Food was good but not as good as I remembered. Red sauce restaurant.
- Good FoodHeavenlyVIPDined on 6/12/2014The food was very good but the waiter we had was not very attentive. The dining area we were in was on the small side and the tables were jammed in which made it a little uncomfortable.
- Very Good before a showNjdinerDined on 6/7/2014Was a little hesitant from its appearance from across the street as it looks like it's part of a strip mall. Once we tasted the food, however, all doubts were gone. Appetizers were excellent. Salads were good and my wife's dinner wa the bet salmon she had in a long time. My dinner was chicken piccatta which was very good although not outstanding. The waiter was execellent, very attentive and helpful with suggestions. The only thing in found disappointing for an Italian restaurant was that the bread before the meal was rather ordinary, not warm and no dipping sauces. On the other hand, I ate less of it and had the room to finish my meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014It's fine for a pre-play meal, conviently located.Special Features:
- Quite a findTonyDined on 5/28/2014Small and hidden but outstanding food. Friendly staff but the food is the star. Veal special and homemade ravioli were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PlusElsewhereVIPDined on 5/12/2014We enjoyed the evening. Everything was great. The food, the ambience and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre dinnerNJConsultantDined on 5/10/2014We had dinner before seeing a Broadway show for Mother's Day - although a few block walk from the heart of the theatres, the dining experience was very nice and reasonably priced for a NYC restaurant. Would definitely go back.