1496 Lower Water Street
Halifax, NS B3J 1R7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.damaurizio.ca/
- Phone: 902-423-0859
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andrew King
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Da Maurizio offers two private rooms. The first and largest room hosts up to 45 people and is completely closed off from the remainder of the restaurant by sliding frosted glass doors. This room has access to our outdoor patio for summer functions and has its own private washrooms. The second private room is secluded and hosts up to 25 people. It is a smaller and cozy room that is separated from the other diners by our bar area and a small flight of steps. Both rooms are perfect for business meetings, weddings, family celebrations and continuing education programs. Also, both rooms are suitable should you require audio/visual equipment for your event. Custom menus are available for both rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Tanya King 902-423-0859
A word from da Maurizio
Da Maurizio offers a premiere dining experience on Halifax's historical waterfront. For over twenty years this fine dining Italian restaurant has been considered the city's favorite by locals and travelers alike. It is no wonder Da Maurizio has earned National and International awards; one visit and you will understand why. The exquisite sauces and handmade pastas, the mouth-watering seafood and grilled-to-perfection meats, the exceptional service and beautiful decor, the comprehensive wine list and romantic setting all combine to make Da Maurizio and unforgettable experience. Whether you are seeking a romantic dinner for two, a celebratory family gathering, a lighthearted evening with good friends on the patio or a business discussion over dinner, Da Maurizio is the perfect destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
da Maurizio - Best Restaurants in Halifax ›
da Maurizio reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)romantic (89)fit for foodies (71)notable wine list (58)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Extremely overrated!!!!!! Way overpriced! !!!!!. Food was just ok. Scallops overdone. Typical tourist place. Very average for top $$$. Nice but lack of knowledge employees. We was hoping to have a better experience visiting Halifax.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014certainly lives up to its reputation as one of the finer restaurants in halifax, menu choices varied and exceptional, cannot say anything about wine list since i seldom drink wine. Exceptional service. Keep up the great work, we will be backSpecial Features:
- Good, but . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014My most recent visit was a bit disappointing compared to my first, something I attribute to how very busy the restaurant was that holiday weekend. It was rather noisy at times, and there was a lengthy wait for both the appetizer and the main course, which didn't matter a great deal as my companion and I had a lot of catching up to do. There were a few small lapses like a request for water refills apparently forgotten, though eventually recalled. I had expected that little bits of bacon might be dispersed throughout my romaine salad, but there was only one almost over-cooked chunk about an inch square on top, hardly enough to add the flavour the menu description suggested. The main course haddock was good, the lemon dessert glam and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014I have eaten at da maurizio many times but this time it was overcrowded, rushed and the servers were run off of their feet. The food was still good but the experience certainly was not.
- Nothing comparable, simply amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Best food in Canada by far. Chief is the best, service is the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da Maurizio's never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Da Maurizio's continues to be our go to. We have been going there for years and can't get enough. Always delicious. Tomato soup an gnocchi to die for. Hostess Tanya is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Everything great except for long wait for entrée,however it was worth the wait!!Special Features:
- BettylouDined on 8/28/2014It was like going to Italy for the evening, as we dined outside on the patio on a beautiful warm Aug evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice upscale ItalianelbrujoDined on 8/23/2014Our first time visiting Halifax, we ended up here just by chance and we did not regret it. Great Italian food served with elegance and modern touches that make this place one of a kind. Great and attentive service. Not too many wine options, but good deals in what is available. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everthing was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was excellent! Never had a bad meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible service & food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014My husband and I came to the east coast for our 1st anniversary, the staff was incredible and the food was amazing! The staff made our night extra special by presenting our dessert with "happy 1st anniversary" in chocolate on our dessert plates! We will be recommending the restaurant to our family and friends and will be back next time we are on the coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRin128Dined on 8/18/2014A bit hard to find it but you can call them for help. Foods are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!Luv2eatDined on 8/16/2014Always enjoy dinner at daMaurizio's. Service and food are always spot on and they have a great wine selection. Favourite restaurant in Halifax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great experience.EnDMDined on 8/14/2014My boyfriend and I live in Halifax and were looking for a nice place to go for his birthday last Thursday. We have been before and every time the servers are very attentive and polite. Food was delicious (we always try something different), our water glasses were never empty, and the drinks were great. They have a great menu and a great wine list. We will definitely be back again. I can't say enough good things, they always deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Amazing food and staff. We gad the warm radioisotope salad, mussels and gnocchi with wild mushroom sauce. Can't wait to go back and have it again.Special Features:
- Top notch serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Da Maurizio's has the best service and staff in the city! The food is fantastic and they are always happy to make any cocktail you request. I highly reccommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- DaMaurizio in HalifaxOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great food and exceptional service. Not cheap but there are many similarly priced places without the same level of service or food.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We had little trouble to find the restaurant entrance but everything else was fantastic. The ambience, service and food was outstanding. We were very impressed and really appreciated the quality and taste of the food. We will return for sure.Special Features:
- I'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Food was delicious. The Mini menu was great, nice choices and very affordable. What I also like is that it was not overly noisy so ... a place where you could sit and have a great conversation as well as enjoying the wonderful meal staff was courteous and funny and seem to really enjoy their jobSpecial Features:
- Great choice for 20thDaveatSuperiorDined on 8/6/2014We decided to return to an old favourite to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. It surprised us why we were gone so long. From the ambience, to the food and wine to the service and to the special acknowledgement of our occasion, da Maurizio is a destination that leads the pack in Halifax. It definitely will not be this long before I return. Great to go and share appetizers or feast on scrumptious full courses. Sean was a great server and ensured we enjoyed our night in this upscale yet casual environment. CheersSpecial Features:
- Favorite restaurant in Halifax!MarySteveDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I have been going to this restaurant for years. The food and service is wonderful . We have never had a bad meal. Tanya and her staff are wonderful and always so accommodating. We always recommend this restaurant to our friends and family because the food is outstanding as is the staff and ambience. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nite outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014there were 4 couples, food and wine were excellent, everyone was served within a few minutes of each other, a must do in downtown Halifax.Special Features:
- Warm and wonderfulRickyBDined on 8/1/2014This is a warm, elegant room and the owner and her staff make it even more so with their wonderfully friendly, down to earth style. Everyone seems genuinely happy to see you. An excellent wine list and diverse menu too. There were four in our party and every meal got oo's and ah's. The 3-course prix fixe is great value at $40. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Excellent!ottawafoodieDined on 7/30/2014We had an amazing dinner at Da Maurizio. It had been 11 years since we last had dinner there and this time was equally amazing as the first time. The service was attentive and the food superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night! Will returnRetiredDined on 7/30/2014The scallops were amazing something in the sauce I did not recognize but awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencesistera3of5Dined on 7/28/2014My two sisters were visiting Halifax so I suggested we go to Da Maurizio. It was the first time for all. We were greeted at the door by a very professional, congenial and handsome young man. He brought us to our table, and our server arrived very quickly. He was excellent. So attentive, accommodating, and a great knowledge of the menu and wine list. The mussels and bruschetta were wonderful. For entrees, two of us had pork tenderloin and one had haddock. All entrees were very tasty and filling. The service, food and ambience all contributed to why Da Maurizio was full on a Monday evening.Special Features:
- Best meal in HalifaxCompmurph29Dined on 7/28/2014We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary here and it was perfection. Romantic, great cocktails, quiet ambiance...food and service was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious birthday dinner!chesterdinersDined on 7/26/2014I wanted to take my husband somewhere special for his birthday dinner.. our neighbour highly recommended it, and the online menu was enticing. Unfortunately, restaurant noise is a problem for us. My husband is very hard of hearing and people talking, dishes clanging and general hubbub is greatly amplified because of his hearing aids which makes it excruciating for him so he has to turn them off. That puts an end to dinner conversation! When I booked Da Maurizio online, there was a spot for special requests and I asked for a quiet table. When we arrived we were immediately shown to a secluded booth where we had a delightful and delicious meal! Delicious martinis and great service...Wonderful!!Special Features:
- To Much SauceronfVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food and ambiance is most always first rate. Saturday the 26th was a minor exception. Two of the dishes order were complimented either by a tomato based and a garlic cream sauce. There was just way to much sauce. It really looked like the main course was floating on a bed of sauce tasty but not very good looking.Special Features:
- Absolutely deliciousmcrefDined on 7/19/2014We were a group of 6 and there was unanimous agreement. It was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestAcadianDined on 7/18/2014Our experience at DaMaurizio has never disappointed. We have dined here so many times and it is always such a wonderful experience. It is still the restaurant by which we measure excellence wherever we dine in the world. A must when in Halifax.Special Features:
- Five StarItalianLoverDined on 7/17/2014We are fairly well travelled and this is one if the best restaurants we have visited - both food and service are superb. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top three in canadaPeejDined on 7/12/2014I rate this restaurant as serving one of the top three meals I have had in canadaSpecial Features:
- Fantastic placemeaganmcDined on 7/5/2014I am so pleased that I found Da Maurizio's. I booked for a party of 3, and we all ordered from the prix fixe menu, which is a phenomenal price for what you're presented with. The mussles are to die for and the romaine heart salad was absolutely perfect. The haddock and lobster was incredible, the pork was amazing and the chicken was cooked perfectly. For the desserts, the chocolate mousse was a little underwhelming but I thoroughly recommend the lemon semifreddo, it was the most delicious thing I have ever tasted in my life. The service is fantastic and the overall ambiance was lovely, the tables aren't too close together so you can preserve a more intimate dining experience. If you haven't been yet, don't wait! New favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly DisappointedMelainaDined on 6/28/2014After hearing rave reviews about this restaurant for years, we chose to spend a very special anniversary at da Maurizio and anticipated a fine dining experience of authentic northern Italian cuisine. We had lived in Italy before so perhaps our expectations were too high. Not even olive oil/balsamic on the table for the bread but a dish of butter. Caprese salad: real mozza di buffola but pale, tasteless tomatoes, wi mixed greens instead of basil. Calamari was great. Main courses: no wow factor, no truffle dishes. Simple seafood stew. Handmade pasta tasted like from a grocery store. Dessert very disappointing. Cold & hard as brick chocolate cake, cappuccino tasted like from a machine. Hated the tacky and crooked posters of Sistine Chapel.
- Great ExperienceSam200Dined on 6/28/2014Elegant and classy, with excellent choice of tasty, delicious, and generously-proportioned dishes, with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TiramisuTLiv2011Dined on 6/27/2014Because the evening was so beautiful(finally), I called da Maurizio around 4pm and asked if my group with 10 girls could sit and eat outside. They accommodated this last minute request. We had a male waiter and I cannot recall his name. He was fantastic. He gave us outstanding customer service. The food was better than I even imagined. The quality of food and service was comparable to cruise ship quality!!! I just want to say thank you to the staff and our waiter for a wonderful birthday dinner and experience. I plan on coming back for my anniversary in September and know I will not be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014We had a beautiful meal, our food was excellent, can't wait to go back. Will recommend to others for sure.Special Features:
- Vero ristorante Italiano di livelloSandrofromMarcheItalyDined on 6/21/2014Piatti dall'ottimo sapore tradizionale Italiano con note ricercate ed insolite. Ottima presentazione dei piatti e qualità dei prodotti utilizzati. Servizio di livello e veloce. Fettuccine all'aragosta sono il top. Buono anche risotto con asparagi e gamberi. Da non perdere antipasto di gamberi. Ottimo anche il dessert. Tappa obbligata ad Halifax.Special Features:
- Fabulous ExperienceShelsterDined on 6/21/2014Da Maurizio is our fovorite restruant. It was a pleasure to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. The food was wonderful and the service was great at well. It was a little louder than ususal with a Birthday Party in the next room. I had the Haddock again beacuse I can't imagine anything better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.