1496 Lower Water Street
Halifax, NS B3J 1R7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.damaurizio.ca/
- Phone: 902-423-0859
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andrew King
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Da Maurizio offers two private rooms. The first and largest room hosts up to 45 people and is completely closed off from the remainder of the restaurant by sliding frosted glass doors. This room has access to our outdoor patio for summer functions and has its own private washrooms. The second private room is secluded and hosts up to 25 people. It is a smaller and cozy room that is separated from the other diners by our bar area and a small flight of steps. Both rooms are perfect for business meetings, weddings, family celebrations and continuing education programs. Also, both rooms are suitable should you require audio/visual equipment for your event. Custom menus are available for both rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Tanya King 902-423-0859
A word from da Maurizio
Da Maurizio offers a premiere dining experience on Halifax's historical waterfront. For over twenty years this fine dining Italian restaurant has been considered the city's favorite by locals and travelers alike. It is no wonder Da Maurizio has earned National and International awards; one visit and you will understand why. The exquisite sauces and handmade pastas, the mouth-watering seafood and grilled-to-perfection meats, the exceptional service and beautiful decor, the comprehensive wine list and romantic setting all combine to make Da Maurizio and unforgettable experience. Whether you are seeking a romantic dinner for two, a celebratory family gathering, a lighthearted evening with good friends on the patio or a business discussion over dinner, Da Maurizio is the perfect destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
da Maurizio - Best Restaurants in Halifax ›
da Maurizio reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (116)romantic (96)fit for foodies (80)notable wine list (61)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (21)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (11)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Food was superb. Large selection of wines and deep menu selections. We each had a different appetizer and tried each others. Every selection we ordered was delicious. We would highly recommend this restaurant to others looking for exceptional Italian cuisine.
- AwesomeSpagoVIPDined on 10/17/2014I was there 18th October. Another outstanding dining experience at my favourite restaurant in Halifax. The food was excellent and the service was professional yet friendly. Food arrived on a timely manner. I have been here several times and will always go back. Never had a bad experience with food or service. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!23yearsDined on 10/11/2014We were in Halifax for the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Da Maurizio was one of 3 restaurants recommended to us. Picked Da Maurizio based on their Prix Fixe menu option. Couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. From the moment we set foot through the door service was outstanding. Food was spectacular. Attention to detail was impressive. We will be back.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerdineandtravelDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 31st anniversary and decided a quiet night in Halifax with a great meal would be the perfect way to celebrate. We booked into the Marriot Courtyard and made reservations @ DaMaurizio's for dinner. This was the first time we dined there and the reviews are right, this is a great restaurant with great food. In a few reviews there were comments about slow service but at least for our visit the service was great, never felt pressured but at the same time the staff was there when anything was needed. Of particular note was the calamari and the risotto appetizers, this was the best we have had and we will be returning soon and often to try more items. To the staff thanks for making a special night perfect.Special Features:
- Halifax reliable fine diningBirthdaygirlDined on 10/6/2014Reliable and classy for many years, the service and food are always impeccableSpecial Features:
- Awesome waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent experience all around. Service was perfect and look forward to going again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodLynneVIPDined on 10/3/2014Everything was delicious especially the eggplant appetizer and the spaghettini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was Amazing!BlondieDined on 10/3/2014Attended restaurant Oct. 3rd for dinner with my niece and nephew and their partners! The food was fantastic and service was great. We all want to return.Special Features:
- lovely meal and great serviceellehfxDined on 10/3/2014Would go again...sooner rather than later. The Prix fixe menu options were good and it was very well priced. Had the mussels as a starter and pork tender loin for main. Both were prepared perfectly and served hot.Special Features:
- Friendly and professional serviceKahunaDined on 10/2/2014We asked for a quiet and romantic table which happened to be...next to the restrooms. The meal was however superb. No scalopini on the menu? No problem - we were offered 4 different kinds. Great wine list with Super Toscans. Go for sweets at the end! On the pricey side but great italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeMmgoodDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant has remained my favorite for allround excellence over many years - friendly, efficient staff, delicious food, sophisticated decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Corporate EventCorporateDinerDined on 9/23/2014We hosted clients for a dinner at da Maurizio and it was fantastic. The service was outstanding , the food over the top and the atmosphere was perfect for an enjoyable evening. The noise level was complementary to our business discussion in that it is was not too loud to hear each other yet not too quiet for others to overhear our private conversation. Our waiter was excellent, knowledgeable and made great menu suggestions. Everyone loved their meals and had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie from CaliforniaFoodiefromsacraDined on 9/22/2014Great warf location for lovely strol after dinner. Food was exceptional, reservations recommended. Would definitely go back. One of the best meals we had on the 8 day trip to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special BirthdayFoodForThoughtDined on 9/19/2014My wife, son and myself booked a table for Sept 19th, 2014 to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday. My daughter and 2 friends surprised us from out of town. (Tears all round!) Our waiter managed to put another table together for the 6 of us, even though the restaurant was very busy. Everyone ordered from the Prix Fixe menu. The food was excellent, as was the price. The atmosphere is warm, busy.Special Features:
- best restaurant in HalifaxPenelopepanDined on 9/19/2014Without a doubt this is the best restaurant in Halifax. Always consistent, great atmosphere, very friendly staff who have great knowledge about the menu and wines. It is always a very special night when we go there. We are treated very well and we always look forward to seeing the delightful hostess who always finds just the perfect table. Number one in Halifax with very high standards. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent!AmandaDined on 9/13/2014Absolutely wonderful meal, great atmosphere, and service was good. This was where we went for our anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere is romantic, and fairly quiet for being so busy. Food came out without much of a wait, but a good amount of time between appetizer and meal, which was nice. The cocktails are good, although the menu for them is fairly small. The Italian mojito was wonderful, as were both of our appetizers/meals. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Amazing spotDCworksDined on 9/6/2014The food was absolutely delicious. Nice, quiet environment. Will definitely go again and would recommend to anyone looking for a romantic setting and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!HfxdinerDined on 9/6/2014DaMaurizio's is always a first-class dining experience. Great food, great wine (and the gin martinis are among the best anywhere) and always superb service. Servers are equipped not just with top rate training and experience but with great people skills and sense of humour. We enjoyed every minute of it.Special Features:
- OutstandingDined on 9/6/2014Our server was Phil who was outstanding in service and recommendations on wine and menu selection. Our appetizers and entrees were outstanding as well. I would definitely go back if we were looking for a great meal with a slower ambiance. Would not say that is a contemporary vibe ambiance but rather a intimate, quieter one. Certainly glad we went there for my husband's birthday as it was definitely suited to that occasion! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningcucinaDined on 9/3/2014I've been here 4 times and each time was excellent. I love the food and the customer service is next to none!!Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Extremely overrated!!!!!! Way overpriced! !!!!!. Food was just ok. Scallops overdone. Typical tourist place. Very average for top $$$. Nice but lack of knowledge employees. We was hoping to have a better experience visiting Halifax.Special Features:
- greatest4foodieDined on 8/30/2014certainly lives up to its reputation as one of the finer restaurants in halifax, menu choices varied and exceptional, cannot say anything about wine list since i seldom drink wine. Exceptional service. Keep up the great work, we will be backSpecial Features:
- Good, but . . .espadrilleDined on 8/30/2014My most recent visit was a bit disappointing compared to my first, something I attribute to how very busy the restaurant was that holiday weekend. It was rather noisy at times, and there was a lengthy wait for both the appetizer and the main course, which didn't matter a great deal as my companion and I had a lot of catching up to do. There were a few small lapses like a request for water refills apparently forgotten, though eventually recalled. I had expected that little bits of bacon might be dispersed throughout my romaine salad, but there was only one almost over-cooked chunk about an inch square on top, hardly enough to add the flavour the menu description suggested. The main course haddock was good, the lemon dessert glam and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014I have eaten at da maurizio many times but this time it was overcrowded, rushed and the servers were run off of their feet. The food was still good but the experience certainly was not.
- Nothing comparable, simply amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Best food in Canada by far. Chief is the best, service is the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da Maurizio's never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Da Maurizio's continues to be our go to. We have been going there for years and can't get enough. Always delicious. Tomato soup an gnocchi to die for. Hostess Tanya is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BradAndreeDined on 8/29/2014Everything great except for long wait for entrée,however it was worth the wait!!Special Features:
- Poor service but nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014No complaints about the food at all. Everything was delish. The service, however, left quite a bit to be desired. Our server was impatient from the get-go, for example, walking away during our drink order because I turned to my husband to ask if he wanted to share a carafe of wine vs me ordering a glass. So, aside from.... how shall I phrase it? Snooty service? the meal really was lovely. I so appreciated the quiet atmosphere. It was nice to not have to shout over dinner.Special Features:
- BettylouDined on 8/28/2014It was like going to Italy for the evening, as we dined outside on the patio on a beautiful warm Aug evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice upscale ItalianelbrujoDined on 8/23/2014Our first time visiting Halifax, we ended up here just by chance and we did not regret it. Great Italian food served with elegance and modern touches that make this place one of a kind. Great and attentive service. Not too many wine options, but good deals in what is available. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everthing was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was excellent! Never had a bad meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible service & food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014My husband and I came to the east coast for our 1st anniversary, the staff was incredible and the food was amazing! The staff made our night extra special by presenting our dessert with "happy 1st anniversary" in chocolate on our dessert plates! We will be recommending the restaurant to our family and friends and will be back next time we are on the coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRin128Dined on 8/18/2014A bit hard to find it but you can call them for help. Foods are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!Luv2eatDined on 8/16/2014Always enjoy dinner at daMaurizio's. Service and food are always spot on and they have a great wine selection. Favourite restaurant in Halifax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great experience.EnDMDined on 8/14/2014My boyfriend and I live in Halifax and were looking for a nice place to go for his birthday last Thursday. We have been before and every time the servers are very attentive and polite. Food was delicious (we always try something different), our water glasses were never empty, and the drinks were great. They have a great menu and a great wine list. We will definitely be back again. I can't say enough good things, they always deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Amazing food and staff. We gad the warm radioisotope salad, mussels and gnocchi with wild mushroom sauce. Can't wait to go back and have it again.Special Features:
- Top notch serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Da Maurizio's has the best service and staff in the city! The food is fantastic and they are always happy to make any cocktail you request. I highly reccommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- DaMaurizio in HalifaxOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great food and exceptional service. Not cheap but there are many similarly priced places without the same level of service or food.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We had little trouble to find the restaurant entrance but everything else was fantastic. The ambience, service and food was outstanding. We were very impressed and really appreciated the quality and taste of the food. We will return for sure.Special Features:
- I'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Food was delicious. The Mini menu was great, nice choices and very affordable. What I also like is that it was not overly noisy so ... a place where you could sit and have a great conversation as well as enjoying the wonderful meal staff was courteous and funny and seem to really enjoy their jobSpecial Features: