5 East Main Street
Avon, CT 06001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dacaporestaurant.com/
- Phone: (860) 677-5599
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from da Capo
Da Capo brings to Connecticut a recipe found in Little Italy in the early 1900's: "Authentic New York Style Thin Crust Pizza." Almost a century later, da Capo proudly presents our famous "Old World" recipe, along with classic family dining as well as contemporary Italian pasta dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
da Capo reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (12)kid-friendly (10)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Good Food/Good ValueHappyDinerVIPDined on 11/21/2014The food is very good with very generous portions. We patronize daCapos about once a month and are never disappointed. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid evening on a crowded Friday nightUSDickinsonVIPDined on 11/14/2014Servers were working very hard and food was excellent - large portions so be careful how much you order! Nice cocktails to start, clams casino appetizer was well prepared and we generally had pasta and a table-size salad (that feeds at least 6 and there were only 4 of us!)Special Features:
- good foodSusieVIPDined on 11/14/2014Food was good overall. Lentil soup outstanding. Mediterranean salad had way too many tomatoes in it (would suggest more romaine). Pizza was good. The tables are very tight which we didn't like at all. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Amazing Pasta specialCindyVIPDined on 10/17/2014We eat here a lot and always end up with a salad and a pizza...a pepperoni pizza to be exact. This evening we came with some friends and ate at a table (we like to sit at the bar when it is just two of us) in the bar area near the pizza oven. I was in the mood for one of there amazing salads, I like the Tuscano with an addition of salmon. It was prepared perfectly, not dried out like a lot of places do to the fish. The other woman with us got the salad with salmon as well. The third with us got a steak and he said it was terrific but the star of the night was my husbands seafood pasta special. It came with lobster, swordfish and maybe crab. We eat out a lot and this by far was one of the best pasta dishes we have had in a long time. AmazingSpecial Features:
- Our consistent neighborhood go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/16/2014Food is always reliably good and the kitchen happily honors special requests. Wait staff is pleasant and well trained, eager to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst dinner I ever had a da capoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014I go to da capo a lot. I had the worst dinner ever. The pasta was like mash potatoes, mushy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/8/2014SOLID ITALIAN FOOD IN THE FARMINGTON VALLEY. PORTIONS ARE LARGE, SERVICE ATTENTIVE AND ATMOSHERE RELAXED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night for da CapodougrDined on 10/3/2014We have never had any issues the many times we have dined at da Capo but this night we had a new waitress who forgot to bring our drinks and had to be reminded and then msssed up our check. On top of that, our half pepperoni/half meatball pizza had all the toppings on one side with the other just being cheese. We chose not to send back the pizza since it had taken a long time to get and thankfully it was as good as it usally is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealDAVIDSDined on 8/28/2014Run-of-the-mill Italian . Nothing bad. Mussels small but tasty with great sauce.Special Features:
- Refused to honor my Opentable CheckNutmegVIPDined on 8/17/2014Refused to honor my Opentable Check. The waitress said she didn't know how to do it. The correct response to this situation is to accept the check, adjust the customer's bill and figure out the issue later and not keep the customer waiting or refuse to honor the check.
- Food was greatLarryBDined on 8/15/2014Get the pasta with broccoli rabe and white beans...yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service took the night offdiningoutfromCTDined on 8/15/2014The good news is that Da Capo has very good food and their pizza crust is consistently the best I've ever had--fairly thin with the right balance between crispy & chewy. Pizza toppings were fresh and there is just the right amount to make it taste authentic. Service however was another story--terrible. Food came at different times; one pizza completely forgotten; the meat on another pizza forgotten; and a piece of advice I'd like to offer all restaurants--if you can't keep water glasses replenished, please leave a pitcher of water on the table so we can take care of it ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent. Portions large and a lot of value for your dollar. However, the service was very, very poor. Took over a half hour to get our first course. I had to tell the waitress to find our where our first course was located. From what I can tell there were only 2 waitresses on that evening. There were some bus staff but overrall the waitstaff was overwhelmed and understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 55 reviews are from the da Capo reviews archive.
- We will not be backBobGDined on 6/14/2014Service was a bit slow, salads had wilted lettuce and a long blond hair in one serving. Pasta dishes were large and reasonably tasty. Waitress was apologetic and provided one dessert to share. We have dined at da Capo in Litchfield twice and enjoyed out meals but the Avon restaurant is not up to our minimum standards.
- What a disappointmentOpenTablefanVIPDined on 5/24/2014Got there for our 7:30 reservation. Place is VERY noisy, could not have a conversation across the table. Waited 30 minutes and no one came to take our order. Waitress was at the table next to us several times in that half hour and after about 20 minutes said she would 'be right back'. Waited another 10 minutes Finally walked out. Could have just been a bad night for the servers but we would not go back
- Service was very poor!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014Usually a place that we like to go. Service was very poor. 20+ minutes before anyone even came to take drink orders. 1/2 the meals came out a good 15 minutes before the others and then there was a meal substitution without even coming back to the table to ask if the substitution was OK. At that point, what were we going to do - send it back and wait another 30 minutes. This will definetely keep us from goign back any time soon.
- Loud but Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Tough to find a quiet table, but bar area is fun and food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous portions. Could easilyDAVIDSDined on 4/4/2014Generous portions. Could easily share a main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just O.K.CantonFoodieDined on 3/22/2014Went on a Saturday night making reservations only 2 hrs prior. We were seated immediately while others ahead of us, presumably without reservations, were still waiting. Going out to dinner should be a relaxing experience. Not here. The entire staff was literally running the whole time we were there. They appeared to be grossly under-staffed. Our waitress was invisable for most of the meal. We saw her when we ordered and when it was time to pay. Food was delivered by runners and tables bussed by othersr. Had to flag someone down to get water glasses refilled. Food was OK but nothing special. Prices are reasonable. The noise level on this night was very high. Bottom line, there are better restaurant choices to be had in this area.Special Features:
- Good, basic Italian. Can reliePRPLCVIPDined on 3/15/2014Good, basic Italian. Can relie on consistency in its food preparation.Special Features:
- Very good mealPickyeaterVIPDined on 3/15/2014I ordered a salad with chicken as I have many time before here and I'd say that everything was tasty but the portion size is smaller than it used to be. The salad dressings (I tried both) were excellent as was the bread.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very noisy environmentBrianDined on 2/14/2014Great food, very noisy environment though. Would recommend for a good meal with friends, not so much for a dinner date.
- Nice Valentines DayAndreaDined on 2/14/2014We made reservations last minute and were pleased to get a table at 7:15. We found out why...they put tables everywhere! The poor wait staff had to go thru a maze to serve people. It was very crowded and very loud. Even asking the hostess to have someone sand the walkway it was a sheet of ice when we left! Despite those issues, the food was delicious and we would definitely go back...just not on an icy holiday!Special Features:
- MediocreHankDined on 2/14/2014I found the restaurant loud. The wait staff was overburden and service suffered somewhat. The food was okay, but that was it. There was nothing that differentiated this place. Ok for a quick meal, but that is the extent.Special Features:
- excellent service, very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014excellent service, very friendly staff fair pricingSpecial Features:
- Entree Needs WorkNYCTrekkerVIPDined on 2/12/2014We have eaten here several times. The salads are large and delicious, definitely enough to share. The pizzas have been good, not great, but fine. Unfortunately, recently we order the chicken park. The portion was large, but the chicken was dry and barely eatable.Special Features:
- Food is always good and theYogaBeFit4uVIPDined on 1/8/2014Food is always good and the staff friendly. Nice to have a local place that is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodmamakashaVIPDined on 12/23/2013We have eaten here many, many times and have enjoyed mostly all of our meals. The pasta dishes are wonderful as well as any meat or fish dinners. The salads are delicious. We did notice on our most recent visit that the size of the standard salad seems to have gotten smaller. But the quality did not suffer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to snuffPickyeaterVIPDined on 12/22/2013We went here for dinner because we have been many times and always enjoyed it. My son and I ordered the Toscana salad for our meals. I have done so many times and found it to be very plentiful. This time the size was much smaller, there was barely any mozzarella in there and he polenta croutons were cold. Our waitress was great. She brought us more mozzarella, and some hot polenta as well. The manager did not come over but did comp our meals. I'm not sure if it was an off night or if they have changed their portion size. The quality of everything was excellent; we enjoyed the salad dressing and the rolls were definitely as wonderful as usual.Special Features:
- da FiascoAlexisFVIPDined on 12/6/2013Every time I visit this restaurant they make unforgibable mistakes with the food, they always take between 60-90 minutes to serve your food and even if I have reservations they make me wait most times, I am not coming back ever again!!!
- Yum!nikkiDined on 11/27/2013Food was delicious! Our sever did not pay NEARLY half to attention to our table that she did to the one next to us. They came in half an hour after us, got an appetizer within 10 minutes of sitting bread, olive oil, water, and silverware, immediately, while we had to ask for bread, plates and silverware after getting her attention after our food arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/23/2013We went on a busy Saturday night and sat at a table for 4 in the bar area. Considering the time and place, the noise level was acceptable. We ordered the toscana salad intending to split it 2 ways, but it was large enough for all 4 of us. The veal parm, pizza with mushrooms and sausage, and a linguini entree whose name I cannot remember were very good. The linguini Primavera was very bland -no pesto as described on the menu and surprising because the other linguini dish was so flavorful. Our server was very good - attentive and she did not rush us. We will return.Special Features:
- Too Loud!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/16/2013The dining room was so loud you could not enjoy a conversation with the person next to you. To find the waitress to tell her my salad was a bowl of onions, feta and toooo much dressing was impossible. She never returned to refill drinks or check on food. A very disappointing night. Will not return!
- Excellent FoodKayamayDined on 11/8/2013Food was excellent, love the family style dining if that is an option you are looking for. It is a little loud in the restaurant, but very fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family restaurantjjvsagDined on 10/14/2013Went to de Capo for dinner with family (Dad, Mom, girls 14, 13 & 3, and a visiting exchange student from Spain. Had a reservation and were seated immediately--restaurant wasn't very busy when we arrived. Waitress took drink orders and back quickly, but could have been more attentive with drinks from that point on. Ordered de Capo chips--always excellent, large house salad--fresh but bland, and a couple of pizzas which were outstanding--some of the best crust I've ever tasted and the toppings were fresh and delicious. Dessert was also great--tiramisu, chocolate mousse cake and canollis. Overall, a great evening at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How not to make veal parmigianaGoestodinneroftenDined on 10/6/2013The pasta was fairly decent, the veal was as hard as a rock, the mozzarella cheese overlying the veal was badly warm; in addition also all the Italian wines were 3-4 times the cost in a local store. No offer of a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. In other works there are many more restaurants in these area which will offer you MUCH BETTER dining experience.
- Quaint, Fun & TastydiningisdivineDined on 10/4/2013All positive things to say about da Capo!. The atmosphere is both quaint and sophisticated. The food is tasty and the wine list extensive. Can't say enough about the wood-fired stove. It creates some of the best tasting pizza and also creates the perfect ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerPickyeaterVIPDined on 10/1/2013My friend and I both ordered salmon on a salad and totally enjoyed our dinner. The salads were excellent as was the bread. A home run!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They cater to kidsTJ100Dined on 9/14/2013Food wasn't bad, but sitting adjacent to the bar wasn't very special. Nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in AvonCTJohnVIPDined on 9/6/2013Good salads, good pizza. I haven't been as impressed with pasta dishes.